Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm - Pre Match Topic
      London Stadium

Today is the 27th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W13 D5 L11

Jude Bellingham (Dortmund)

Read 87743 times
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,352 posts | 2819 
      Re: Jude Bellingham (Dortmund)
      Reply #1196: Jun 07, 2023 08:01:59 pm
      Not sure it ā€œcost us top 4ā€ - took a lot more than not signing one player

And it certainly didnā€™t cost us the title the season before as well

Where did I say one player? We didn't replace Gini in 2021 and compounded the error by not signing a midfielder in 2022. Anyway, I think this discussion is pretty much redundant if you don't think the lack of midfield reinforcements cost us a place in the four. For me it was the root of pretty much everything wrong last year.
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,933 posts | 3407 
      Reply #1197: Jun 07, 2023 08:04:09 pm
      Where did I say one player? We didn't replace Gini in 2021 and compounded the error by not signing a midfielder in 2022. Anyway, I think this discussion is pretty much redundant if you don't think the lack of midfield reinforcements cost us a place in the four. For me it was the root of pretty much everything wrong last year.

In 2021 we won two trophies and just missed out on the other two not because we didnā€™t replace Gini

And we didnā€™t get into top 4 because our back line was poor , we lost multiple players through injuries, and had many others running on empty and out of form

It wasnā€™t because we didnā€™t sigh a midfielder
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,352 posts | 2819 
      Reply #1198: Jun 07, 2023 08:08:19 pm
      Still hanging your hat on that, i see. Even though last summer we were in on Tchouameni who simply decided to go somewhere else.

https://www.empireofthekop.com/2022/08/31/klopp-tchouameni-fresh-transfer-claim/

"We were going for a midfielder who decided to go to another club, which can happen"

Guess JĆ¼rgen lied to us

I said we did nothing in midfield for two years.

We didn't do anything in midfield for two years - showing interest in someone is not the same as signing someone.

Why didn't we go to another midfielder after he turned us down? Like we went to Jota after Werner? Or how we went to Robertson after we couldn't do a deal for Chilwell? This bit I will admit is speculation but I suspect it's because we thought we could get away with it for another year and sign Jude but we underestimated the decline of our current crop.

Either way though, showing interest in a midfielder that we didn't end up signing doesn't change the fact we messed up the midfield situation. Let's just hope we have learnt from our mistakes and have some backups for Mount sorted so we can get some more midfielders in before pre-season.
      CT_LFC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,808 posts | 1402 
      Reply #1199: Jun 07, 2023 08:09:45 pm
      In 2021 we won two trophies and just missed out on the other two not because we didnā€™t replace Gini

And we didnā€™t get into top 4 because our back line was poor , we lost multiple players through injuries, and had many others running on empty and out of form

It wasnā€™t because we didnā€™t sigh a midfielder

Yup. Basically everyone associated with the club not named Alisson had a subpar season, whether it be personal performance, unable to stay healthy or making tactical adjustments. It wasn't simply because we didn't bring in 1 midfielder.

srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,247 posts | 4931 
      Reply #1200: Jun 07, 2023 08:13:58 pm
      I think those in the club thought that midfield had one more season in them.

Many Iof us including myself thought the same but this season showed us it was a mistake.

I still don't think Bellingham was 'waited' on or we had our all our eggs in that basket. We just thought we could wait until this summer to do that rebuild.
      -LFC-
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,213 posts | 1221 
      Reply #1201: Jun 07, 2023 09:01:59 pm
      Ā£88m plus add ons is a good deal. I thought we would have been in at that kind of price in all honesty. We were told on here to expect the final fee to be well in excess of Ā£100m and closer to Ā£150m??? 🤷ā€ā™€ļø why sign the world's hottest midfield prospect when you can find bargains elsewhere.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,318 posts | 6380 
      Reply #1202: Jun 07, 2023 09:09:00 pm
      Yup. Basically everyone associated with the club not named Alisson had a subpar season, whether it be personal performance, unable to stay healthy or making tactical adjustments. It wasn't simply because we didn't bring in 1 midfielder.

Actually...butterfly effect postulates that something so small as having one more player (or one less) very well could have caused a chain reaction of effects that very well could have cost us. No way to know that mind you, but to dismiss it as a possibility is naĆÆve.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,318 posts | 6380 
      Reply #1203: Jun 07, 2023 09:09:58 pm
      Ā£88m plus add ons is a good deal. I thought we would have been in at that kind of price in all honesty. We were told on here to expect the final fee to be well in excess of Ā£100m and closer to Ā£150m??? 🤷ā€ā™€ļø why sign the world's hottest midfield prospect when you can find bargains elsewhere.

He's supposedly going to be on something like 400k per week which is astronomically nuts. I think he'll be worth it in a few years time, but no way is he "worth" that now. That's just craziness.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,247 posts | 4931 
      Reply #1204: Jun 07, 2023 09:13:57 pm
      He's supposedly going to be on something like 400k per week which is astronomically nuts. I think he'll be worth it in a few years time, but no way is he "worth" that now. That's just craziness.

Curious about any signing bonus as well.

Thats what I've been saying about the entire package for Bellingham just didn't make sense for us and what we needed to do this summer.

Add in if we really were his choice destination and I'm glad we've went the way we have.
      -LFC-
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,213 posts | 1221 
      Reply #1205: Jun 08, 2023 01:13:40 am

Does seem high I agree. If he wanted to join us could we have found a creative solution to his wage demands if the transfer fee wasn't an obstacle? I suppose it's the kind of signing a team might make if they already have a strong team and the finances resulting from success to be able to afford it. But even peak success I don't know that we would ever put that kind of money up for a 19 year old, bundesliga player of the season or otherwise. We might pay the fee, with lots of instalments and conditions, but not the wage. Whether that's the right thing or not time will tell. Many said Haaland was overpriced when you factor in the overall financial package and yet he is effectively free if they choose to sell him.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,748 posts | 6721 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #1206: Jun 08, 2023 01:27:02 am

Crazy wages indeed. F**k sake ...wow

In regards to the 86 mill plus add ons, to me it just doesn't seem too much for a player who could be a Superstar for us for the next 10 years.

How quickly mate in all seriousness, would it take to make that money in shirt sales?

« Last Edit: Jun 08, 2023 02:49:49 am by AussieRed »
      Don77

• 6,529 posts | 1083 
      Reply #1207: Jun 08, 2023 03:39:43 am
      I'd rather pay 350k plus per week on jude than pay the keita the money he stole for 5 years. How much did we pay keita, Ox, plus gomez and thiago per week combined ... for zero output. We waste wages and throw money away without issue so why not pay that money to jude every week. Pathetic. But we don't compete for the big players and talents do we ... unless we sell a player for 142m
      Breeding-Reds-In-The-434
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,162 posts | 1092 
      Reply #1208: Jun 08, 2023 05:06:39 am
      I'd rather pay 350k plus per week on jude than pay the keita the money he stole for 5 years. How much did we pay keita, Ox, plus gomez and thiago per week combined ... for zero output. We waste wages and throw money away without issue so why not pay that money to jude every week. Pathetic. But we don't compete for the big players and talents do we ... unless we sell a player for 142m
      Jesus dude, do you ever stop? You have to be exhausted, because I get tired just reading you 😉
      Aminegriffy
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,677 posts | 145 
      Reply #1209: Jun 08, 2023 08:10:39 am
      For the Ā£115mil he is going for we can get 3 very good midfielders - itā€™s a no brainer

We have to be realistic- we need more than one midfielder and we donā€™t have the level of money to pay Ā£115mil plus whatever is needed for two more midfielders and a defender

The fact that club like Liverpool don't have the level of money to pay Ā£115 mill for one of the best talents in the world alongside two midfilders is both sad and aggrevating at the same time.
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,933 posts | 3407 
      Reply #1210: Jun 08, 2023 08:59:05 am
      The fact that club like Liverpool don't have the level of money to pay Ā£115 mill for one of the best talents in the world alongside two midfilders is both sad and aggrevating at the same time.

Why is it ?

How many clubs do have that level of money to spend outside oil clubs
      Don77

• 6,529 posts | 1083 
      Reply #1211: Jun 08, 2023 09:13:11 am

86m plus addons. Not 115m. The addons need to be achieved over his contract. Let's add another 30m on eh and say its too much  money to defend our parasite owners.
      Don77

• 6,529 posts | 1083 
      Reply #1212: Jun 08, 2023 09:13:39 am
      Jesus dude, do you ever stop? You have to be exhausted, because I get tired just reading you 😉

I know how you feel mate. Yeah I can be that way sometimes.
      Aminegriffy
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,677 posts | 145 
      Reply #1213: Jun 08, 2023 09:30:22 am
      Why is it ?

How many clubs do have that level of money to spend outside oil clubs

Arsenal ? They are paying Ā£94 million for Rice and are getting Caicedo as well, United spend 100 million on Antony alongside multiple players, Chelsea spent loads and will spend loads this summer. None of those clubs are oil clubs and they are all owned by American owners.
      Longy-Shops
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,267 posts | 760 
      Reply #1214: Jun 08, 2023 09:59:35 am
      Where is the evidence that we don't have the level of money, as opposed to preferring not to spend the money.
      Longy-Shops
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,267 posts | 760 
      Reply #1215: Jun 08, 2023 10:07:29 am
      86m plus addons. Not 115m. The addons need to be achieved over his contract. Let's add another 30m on eh and say its too much  money to defend our parasite owners.
      You need to consider that he may well have preferred to go to Madrid.
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,933 posts | 3407 
      Reply #1216: Jun 08, 2023 02:04:23 pm
      Arsenal ? They are paying Ā£94 million for Rice and are getting Caicedo as well, United spend 100 million on Antony alongside multiple players, Chelsea spent loads and will spend loads this summer. None of those clubs are oil clubs and they are all owned by American owners.

Sorry but when did Arsenal spend Ā£94 mil on Rice 🤷ā€ā™‚ļø and I also suspect they are having to now spend the future CL money and will need to increase wages as well

United are a commercial monster - the reason why we are trying to build up our stadium

And Chelsea have an owner who is throwing money away
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,933 posts | 3407 
      Reply #1217: Jun 08, 2023 02:05:04 pm
      Where is the evidence that we don't have the level of money, as opposed to preferring not to spend the money.

Look at the accounts - does anyone really think we have over Ā£200mil to spend plus the increase in wages etc
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,933 posts | 3407 
      Reply #1218: Jun 08, 2023 02:05:36 pm

Donā€™t forget to add in the huge wages

Quick Reply