Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Jude Bellingham (Dortmund)

Read 84687 times
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,662 posts | 2656 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Re: Jude Bellingham (Dortmund)
      Reply #276: Sep 22, 2022 06:12:45 am
      Still remember when the Mancs were linked with him, £30m was it and he was 16? Mad to think they missed out on him and Haaland. I would like to think we could afford to sign Bellingham but for a player rated one of the best young CMs in the world I suppose the final price has to be a bit more than £100m, probably £120m, as he has more dimensions to his game than a lot of other players in that position. Thats basically saying we aren't really signing anyone else that summer unless we happen to find a.hidden gem for free or very cheap.

Fergie gave him a tour of our training ground, apparently he didn’t think he would get much game time because he was so young so choose BD for his development, arguably the right decision for him as he’s the next big name that will probably be coming to PL in summer.
      gazred
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 791 posts | 273 
      Reply #277: Sep 22, 2022 07:39:17 am
      Fergie gave him a tour of our training ground, apparently he didn’t think he would get much game time because he was so young so choose BD for his development, arguably the right decision for him as he’s the next big name that will probably be coming to PL in summer.

I remember this as well. There were a lot of clubs trying to buy him and he chose Dortmund because he believed it was the best option for his career. Other clubs put in bigger bids and probably offered bigger wages but this didn't change his decision.

Hopefully, that's a good omen for next summer, if we can persuade him that Liverpool is the best club for him.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,743 posts | 2436 
      Reply #278: Sep 22, 2022 07:44:50 am

Nope, we prob could have got him for 80 to 100 million last season but now not a chance we're signing him.

We'll prob just extend Milly's contract instead.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,662 posts | 2656 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #279: Sep 22, 2022 09:03:19 am

We'll prob just extend Milly's contract instead.

Hopefully.  ;D
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #280: Sep 22, 2022 09:48:35 am
      €150 million as reported and they'd rather extend his contract.
      I think it's time the club looked at two other options instead.
      City and Real Madrid would blow Liverpool out of the water.

Football is gone at the top level.
      The squad needs two midfielders not one.
      150 million on one isn't going to happen.

And as the club likes an occasional free transfer:

Out of contract in 2023.

Youri Tielemans
      Douglas Luiz
      Thomas Lemar
      Marco Asensio
      Memphis Depay

I know there are forwards in there too,
      Just don't be surprised if Liverpool are looking at some of them for the summer. 
      « Last Edit: Sep 22, 2022 09:55:47 am by racerx34 »
      Don77
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,326 posts | 1036 
      Reply #281: Sep 22, 2022 10:29:03 am
      This is coming from me, who said salah wouldn't re-sign ... and then he did.

There's no way Bellingham is coming here. On the field I think we are struggling for the top 4 this year. So on a footballing basis I don't see what puts us at the top of the pile.

Then the small matter of money. We pretty much break even every Summer. Jürgen buys and sells and we more or less make profit or somewhere close. We have no assets that we would sell to cover that. And we know there is no way our tight owners will back Jürgen to bring him in.

He might really want to play for Jürgen and that could give us the edge over the others. Who wouldn't want to play for klopp. But if Jürgen isn't backed it doesn't matter.

Which brings me to the real world. Ox, keita and Bob are likely all going in the summer on free transfers/expiration of contract. Milly will likely retire. So with that, plus hendo with his injuries, same with thiago and fabinho in no form at all we will likely need a forward to replace Bob and 'at least 2 world class midfielders. That's a spend in itself.

As much as I'd like to see Jude here. We all know we don't play at the top table. There must be players who we are scouting who are going to be great for us, for Jürgen  ... and cost much less.

If we were well stocked with quality in midfield and didn't need another striker ... then maybe I could sit here and think ... just bring Bellingham in ... special signing ... special circumstances. But as we did nothing last summer we will need more next summer.

I just can't see it. They money just won't be there.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,452 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #282: Sep 22, 2022 11:57:03 am
      Im sure the club have all sorts of targets apart from this lad.

£150m is nuts, be shocked if we could fund that.

Thats oil money and cheating levels of finance.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #283: Sep 22, 2022 12:03:43 pm
      Im sure the club have all sorts of targets apart from this lad.

£150m is nuts, be shocked if we could fund that.

Thats oil money and cheating levels of finance.

€150 million says he's only going to City or PSG.
      State funded clubs.

When Barcelona tried to keep pace with them
      they destroyed themselves.

That it's still being floated around will tell you
      that the governing bodies don't care once they
      are all getting paid.

Fines instead of bans so that the money keeps flowing.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,963 posts | 3944 
      Reply #284: Sep 22, 2022 12:44:06 pm
      €150 million as reported and they'd rather extend his contract.
      I think it's time the club looked at two other options instead.
      City and Real Madrid would blow Liverpool out of the water.

Football is gone at the top level.
      The squad needs two midfielders not one.
      150 million on one isn't going to happen.

And as the club likes an occasional free transfer:

Out of contract in 2023.

Youri Tielemans
      Douglas Luiz
      Thomas Lemar
      Marco Asensio
      Memphis Depay

I know there are forwards in there too,
      Just don't be surprised if Liverpool are looking at some of them for the summer. 

As well as outrageous transfer estimates dipping into free transfer deals will involve inflated wage demands which will certainly complicate any proposed player acquisition.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #285: Sep 22, 2022 01:50:57 pm
      As well as outrageous transfer estimates dipping into free transfer deals will involve inflated wage demands which will certainly complicate any proposed player acquisition.

I think I've said this before on here.
      Elliott and Carvalho are LFC signing a potential
      Bellingham before the "Dortmund Step".

Bellingham before he left Birmingham City.
      Thing is. Bellingham is a known quality now,
      that you'd have for 10 years.

Without the inflated market caused by State owned clubs
      you'd bet he was coming to Liverpool.

Right now, with no substantial outgoings, and several
      players about to leave at the end of their contract...

He's one player when Liverpool need at least 3.
      PolarBearRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,695 posts | 837 
      Reply #286: Sep 22, 2022 02:01:42 pm
      If we can sign him then I'll be happy, but with that said, I'm not interested in signing him for 150m. Even if we were to do that, he would be our only signing for the next two years so that's far from ideal. We need a couple of signings in the middle of the park, at least. I'll take 2 or 3 quality signings over the signing of a superstar any day of the week. Football is a weak link game, not a strong link's one.

Like others said, the only way we sign him is if LFC is his absolute priority over any other club and wages he might be offered by those clubs. 150m is basically PSG and Man City territory, exclusively (maybe United too since they will pay 100m for anybody with two feet and a pulse). I don't even think that Real Madrid are in the discussion for such a price tag. The only other club that was not run with oil money and that would've been willing to pay such prices was Barca and we saw where that got them in the end (you'd swear they became an after school physics club rather than a football one with all the ''levers'' they keep talking about.)
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Reply #287: Sep 22, 2022 02:15:45 pm
      Dortmund are having a bit of a laugh with that valuation though. He's nowhere near a 150m player yet IMO. That's seriously like prime Ronaldo, Mbappe (and probably Haaland) territory. I don't see it. I think they are trying to create a ludicrous market because they know he'll want to leave. I'd be he goes for closer to 90m. At that price we could make it happen if Jürgen really thought he was a generational talent. My only concern is that everyone was saying the same about Sancho a couple years ago and look at him now.....

Of course maybe Jude will look at that and see that Sancho picked the wrong team and he'll look out for his own career development over a big paycheck.
      CT_LFC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,782 posts | 1395 
      Reply #288: Sep 22, 2022 02:20:54 pm
      Dortmund are having a bit of a laugh with that valuation though. He's nowhere near a 150m player yet IMO. That's seriously like prime Ronaldo, Mbappe (and probably Haaland) territory. I don't see it. I think they are trying to create a ludicrous market because they know he'll want to leave. I'd be he goes for closer to 90m. At that price we could make it happen if Jürgen really thought he was a generational talent. My only concern is that everyone was saying the same about Sancho a couple years ago and look at him now.....

Of course maybe Jude will look at that and see that Sancho picked the wrong team and he'll look out for his own career development over a big paycheck.

Not seeing that either. 150M, which i assume is in Euro, would be roughly 130M GBP and they're not getting that kind of coin for him.

I don't believe there was a single transfer this past summer near 100M with Darwin's 85M (all in) as one of the highest. Even Sancho "only" went for 75M pounds and he was as hyped as anyone at the time of his transfer.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #289: Sep 22, 2022 03:02:46 pm
      After listening to The Athletic podcast, I don't think we'll ever get him. Sorry.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,963 posts | 3944 
      Reply #290: Sep 22, 2022 05:51:56 pm
      I think I've said this before on here.
      Elliott and Carvalho are LFC signing a potential
      Bellingham before the "Dortmund Step".

Bellingham before he left Birmingham City.
      Thing is. Bellingham is a known quality now,
      that you'd have for 10 years.

Without the inflated market caused by State owned clubs
      you'd bet he was coming to Liverpool.

Right now, with no substantial outgoings, and several
      players about to leave at the end of their contract...

He's one player when Liverpool need at least 3.

Entirely agree with every point made including the last comment, with a world class manager tho how are we 3 players short?
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,948 posts | 8458 
      Reply #291: Sep 22, 2022 06:47:41 pm
      I'm waiting for the reports from the likes of Pearce next summer - "Liverpool aren't prepared to pay such an amount when they have their eyes on other prospects elsewhere", "Liverpool wont spend more than an entire summers budget on 1 player".

Kind of makes me wonoder if the club were apparently following him for the last 10 years and putting all midfield plans on hold to get Bellingham in a years time, why did we not just take a chance on him for 20mill from Birmingham instead of letting him go off to Dortmund in the first place. If it was so he could develop more as a player then what's that thing called that clubs do with a lot of younger players??....oh yeah, loan him out!

I'd be amazed if we are anywhere near the front of the queue to get Bellingham next summer.

We'll be in for Bellingham, just his younger brother Jobe!!
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,452 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #292: Sep 23, 2022 09:07:21 am
      1 150mill player

or

3 x 50mill players, cos by all accounts it could be 3 or 4 players we need over the next couple of transfer windows.

I'm pretty sure it would be the latter option.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #293: Sep 23, 2022 09:57:36 am
      Entirely agree with every point made including the last comment, with a world class manager tho how are we 3 players short?

Keita and Ox being largely absent is a massive problem.
      Firmino, Keita, Ox and Milner are all out of contract at the end of the season.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #294: Sep 23, 2022 10:01:36 am

I tend to not take Ox into account, he's completely irrelevent at this stage. The appearances he made last season, he was abysmal. Aside from a brief spell before his injury against Roma, he's been a complete waste of time. Unfortunately, Keita isn't far off falling into the same category. Best part of 100mill leaving for free after making very little impact in their time at the club, could be another reason why we wont spend such an amount on Bellingham.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #295: Sep 23, 2022 10:57:14 am
      I tend to not take Ox into account, he's completely irrelevent at this stage. The appearances he made last season, he was abysmal. Aside from a brief spell before his injury against Roma, he's been a complete waste of time. Unfortunately, Keita isn't far off falling into the same category. Best part of 100mill leaving for free after making very little impact in their time at the club, could be another reason why we wont spend such an amount on Bellingham.

Yes but it is relevant because it's a hole in the squad for an age profile of player that is critical to successful clubs.
      So while it's easy to dismiss, it's actually where the squad has the biggest problem and
      why Keita and Ox need to be replaced.

The bigger problem is that when they both are gone at the end of the season the club will get zero funds
      to go towards bringing in two new midfielders, which the squad desperately needs.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,963 posts | 3944 
      Reply #296: Sep 23, 2022 10:57:25 am

It is hard to imagine that a manager of Jürgen’s calibre would fail to take steps to remedy a massive disadvantage in the team.

Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,662 posts | 2656 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #297: Sep 23, 2022 11:01:56 am
      1 150mill player

or

3 x 50mill players, cos by all accounts it could be 3 or 4 players we need over the next couple of transfer windows.

The fact the Klopp has a very good record on the whole in the transfer market 3 x 50 million players makes more sense.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #298: Sep 23, 2022 11:10:38 am
      It is hard to imagine that a manager of Jürgen’s calibre would fail to take steps to remedy a massive disadvantage in the team.

It's not a problem that is Liverpool specific.
      There are a lot of players that are "free agents" at the end of the season.
      I'm sure some of them will be on significantly more wages wherever they go next.

1 150mill player

or

Or 2 x (40 - 50 million) and a free transfer.

Quick Reply