Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Jude Bellingham (Dortmund)

Read 84631 times
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,479 posts | 3285 
      Re: Jude Bellingham (Dortmund)
      Reply #1104: May 03, 2023 04:06:11 pm
      We need to ask massive questions about our transfer strategy and scouting. We have bought an expensive player who is 3rd choice for us right now, it almost there was no planing or anything.

Gakpo should've been bought in the summer and that Nunez money should've been used on a midfielder like Jude this summer.
      How come you stopped posted between the years 2018 and 2022 ? When we were winning ?

Before that you posted regularly about transfers and players that we should have bought and poor transfers- then you just stop when we were winning

Then re appear this season to talk all about transfers when we aren’t doing as well ?
      rossyred
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,090 posts | 1631 
      Reply #1105: May 03, 2023 04:15:35 pm
      Oh well as I was one who was adamant we would get him I have to hold my hands up and admit defeat. Now it's official I thought I would be more angry but I am confident we can spend the money elsewhere which may in long run be more beneficial to our success
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,018 posts | 2741 
      Reply #1106: May 03, 2023 04:17:29 pm
      I thought this fella was waiting for us on a cut price deal next summer :D
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,479 posts | 3285 
      Reply #1107: May 03, 2023 04:20:26 pm
      Oh well as I was one who was adamant we would get him I have to hold my hands up and admit defeat. Now it's official I thought I would be more angry but I am confident we can spend the money elsewhere which may in long run be more beneficial to our success

That’s about the summary of it all - wanted him to come and thought he would wait - but not the case so time to move on.
      Longy-Shops
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,973 posts | 666 
      Reply #1108: May 03, 2023 04:23:40 pm
      If he really, really wanted to come to us then he'd have found a way to come to us. If he decides to go somewhere else then fair enough it's his life and career. So to sum it up: If he doesn't play for us then I for one don't give a toss where he goes, or what he does.
      ruthcity

• 6,867 posts | 1465 
      Reply #1109: May 03, 2023 05:09:01 pm
      Lock this thread already. We ain’t paying up and he ain’t coming to us.

We weren’t acquiring because we wanted to acquire the right player. But all of a sudden we now need three other players.
      __Tickle__
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,609 posts | 365 
      Reply #1110: May 03, 2023 05:48:03 pm
      About to sign for Madrid for over 100m euros. Call it 100m Sterling.

Price seems about fair to me.
      -LFC-
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,136 posts | 1192 
      Reply #1111: May 03, 2023 05:48:51 pm
      Still think it's a massive f*ck up on our part; the cost of failing to invest in earlier windows is that we lacked the wherewithal to make it a viable option to go big on a player of outstanding talent. There will be other targets, hopefully they are as good but cost half the price. Maybe a couple of free transfers will do the job. You never know.
      __Tickle__
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,609 posts | 365 
      Reply #1112: May 03, 2023 05:51:09 pm
      Still think it's a massive f*ck up on our part; the cost of failing to invest in earlier windows is that we lacked the wherewithal to make it a viable option to go big on a player of outstanding talent. There will be other targets, hopefully they are as good but cost half the price. Maybe a couple of free transfers will do the job. You never know.

He was just a decoy for our real targets. We are going to raid the Chelsea benches (as if if their first team wasn't bad enough) for Mount and Gallagher
      Breeding-Reds-In-The-434
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,088 posts | 1046 
      Reply #1113: May 03, 2023 05:51:27 pm
      If he goes to RM or City than F**k this kid. bi*ch move. Will root against him from here on out ;D
      __Tickle__
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,609 posts | 365 
      Reply #1114: May 03, 2023 05:52:30 pm
      If he goes to RM or City than f**k this kid. bi*ch move. Will root against him from here on out ;D

Would you prefer United? Obviously he's going to go to one of the super clubs.
      Scottbot

• 9,542 posts | 2135 
      Reply #1115: May 03, 2023 05:57:58 pm
      Having seen him linked to us for so long it's dissapointing to see he may be likely to go to RM. Given the massive drop off this season it does make you question whether we can re-tool and get back to where we were previously? With Edwards gone, a new transfer strategy in place, and seemingly no big money available for this type of signing I'm worried we could find ourselves back on the fringes of Champions League qualification and in danger of returning to that next tier below the top once again.
      rossyred

• 9,090 posts | 1631 
      Reply #1116: May 03, 2023 06:10:45 pm
      Having seen him linked to us for so long it's dissapointing to see he may be likely to go to RM. Given the massive drop off this season it does make you question whether we can re-tool and get back to where we were previously? With Edwards gone, a new transfer strategy in place, and seemingly no big money available for this type of signing I'm worried we could find ourselves back on the fringes of Champions League qualification and in danger of returning to that next tier below the top once again.

Hard to disagree looking at current predicament but if we can nail this transfer window still feel we can challenge but will need an upturn in form from current players
      Don77

• 6,326 posts | 1036 
      Reply #1117: May 03, 2023 06:16:50 pm
      Hard to disagree looking at current predicament but if we can nail this transfer window still feel we can challenge but will need an upturn in form from current players

Frustrating thing is we'd done the hard work. Finally we'd got back to the top ... because of Jürgen klopp and his players.

And we've pi*sed it away now because of our penny pinching owners who have done the square root of f*ck all to help Jürgen whilst sitting watching the value of their 'asset' swell since 2015.

It's going to take an incredible summer of abit of luck, bargains bin buys and selling players for good money to raise spends if we are to challenge for 4th or higher next season. Because the current top 4 will spend a mint this summer.
      andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,318 posts | 1611 
      Reply #1118: May 03, 2023 06:18:12 pm
      There may be very valid reasons why we couldn’t get this done , but to think where we’ve been last couple of years , to think we have a world class manager , and we can’t compete for players of this ilk makes me feel kind of sick , massive summer coming  up for us get it wrong and we could be languishing  for quite a while .
      KeepTheFaith
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,325 posts | 188 
      Reply #1119: May 03, 2023 06:42:52 pm
      I truly believe there are other midfield players just as good but he is guaranteed to be good without risk imo

You have to factor in that one of the reasons his price is so high is because he is English, that’s a given as there is a premium for quality English players

What I would also say is that it’s incredibly disappointing on our part

We had 60m for a cm last summer that was declined, where is that money ?

Singing Bellingham means we have a quality cm for the next decade, it’s a no brainer

We should be doing what we can to get him and find money from somewhere for additional signings as well

To me it’s just poor planning and decision making on our part

Still I expect to bring in some quality players with a lot leaving the club

Longy-Shops
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,973 posts | 666 
      Reply #1120: May 03, 2023 06:55:49 pm
      The hyperbole surrounding this lad is way over the top. Gifted? yes....Potential superstar? yes...But as in the past, we will either develop our own midfield maestro, or find someone else as good if not better....I'm already over it. Close the thread
      Benito
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,918 posts | 281 
      Reply #1121: May 03, 2023 07:48:17 pm
      Supposedly we can't stump up €100M. I'm done with FSG.

This is the reason why Real have 14 Champions League Winners medals.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #1122: May 03, 2023 07:50:25 pm
      Supposedly we can't stump up €100M. I'm done with FSG.

This is the reason why Real have 14 Champions League Winners medals.

I'll bet we stump up well over €100M this summer. We just won't be doing it in one player.
      Benito
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,918 posts | 281 
      Reply #1123: May 03, 2023 07:55:12 pm
      I'll bet we stump up well over €100M this summer. We just won't be doing it in one player.

Was Virgil worth £80M? Alisson $70M? He's a 19 year old future ballon d'or winner, in the position where we have a gaping hole in our squad.
      Billo
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,601 posts | 855 
      Reply #1124: May 04, 2023 12:09:54 am
      The hyperbole surrounding this lad is way over the top. Gifted? yes....Potential superstar? yes...But as in the past, we will either develop our own midfield maestro, or find someone else as good if not better....I'm already over it. Close the thread

I was saying that i wouldnt mind Rice and another midfielder instead of Bellingham before BBC linking him to Real. That said, he is quality and i am talking about stevie quality. The lad has everything in his game. Bellingham just stand out almost every game he plays for Dortmund. There is no doubt in my mind that he can be the best midfielder in the world in couple of years, thats if he doesnt get injured and wins some trophies. He isnt overhyped, he has performed at a high level consistently for a while now.

Good luck to the lad.
      PolarBearRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,695 posts | 837 
      Reply #1125: May 04, 2023 03:56:58 am
      [Romano] Real Madrid are close to complete deal to sign Jude Bellingham, confirmed. Negotiations are progressing to the final stages. Personal terms are almost agreed — Juni Calafat, crucial again.

This cat is a bit of a tap in merchant but he typically isn’t wrong once he makes a claim.

If the fee that’s being mentioned is right (120€) that raises some serious questions as to why we had to back out based on cost.

So much wasted time chasing this guy and Tchoumeni (I know I spelled that wrong). 🤦🏻‍♂️
      Disagree, when I was thinking about ''the fee'' and when the news broke out we were backing away because of ''the fee'' 120m was pretty much in the range of what I was considering and still consider as unattainable for us if we want to do anything else other than just sign Bellingham this summer.

Like I said before, this doesn't excuse the fiasco of waiting for him, feeding the fans this ''we're waiting for Jude'' thing for two years instead of investing in the midfield the way we should've, but yeah paying 120M for one player only and expecting us to turn around and get an extra 2 midfielders and a quality center back all in the same summer is a pipe dream. That's like what, upwards of 350m in that market? You can't constantly criticize them for being stingy owners and then tell you're surprised they aren't doing that.

Now they've put the pressure on themselves to deliver. Summer ends and we signed a minimum of three midfielders and a quality center-back or two midfielders, a  quality center-back and a right-back or its failure and people will get even more riled up than they are right now and I'll be part of those who will be unhappy. I'm okay when you justify to me not doing or doing something because you have ''a plan'', but when it turns out that in fact there was no plan at all and that you've been feeding me bullshit through journalists you drip-feed info to then I'm just as insulted as the next guy.

This whole Bellingham thing is a fiasco not because we are ultimately not getting him, I couldn't care less. Its a fiasco because two months into this season it had become clear that we've ended up with nothing. On the one side, we haven't rejuvenated our midfield like we should've in the last two summers and let the situation spiral out of control and on the other hand, no Bellingham because now we can't afford to get him and still do the mandatory midfield rebuild we have to do as a result of our genius ''we're waiting for Jude plan''. The Bellingham outcome was clear because the fee v. what we can expect to spend in a summer never made sense for us unless it was a summer dedicated to Bellingham in which we'd only buy him and that's it. By November it was clear we couldn't afford that because we need much more than just 1 midfielder.

I don't go at FSG very often, but one thing I believe in is to buy when you're in a position of power. You don't have to break the bank every summer, but if you spend the big bucks when you need to (once every two or three summers or so) and in between you keep supplementing the squad with smart acquisitions then you should be good. That's exactly what we didn't do. Now its no CL, an exhausted squad and we're going into a summer where we need to do an awful lot all while making next to no mistakes if we hope to bounce back next season.

Edit: this also reminds me that we still have no clarity as to what is happening with the DOF position. No info as to when exactly the current one is leaving. No info as to if have an new on lined up, no nothing. It's a continuation of the uncharacteristic chaos that has been creeping into the club in the last year and half or so. Combine this with the fact that, like I said, its a very important summer that is ahead of us and there is cause for concern. They might have it all under control behind the scene, but from where we stand, based on the info (or lack of) we have it surely doesn't look that way.
      « Last Edit: May 04, 2023 04:04:34 am by PolarBearRed »
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,452 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #1126: May 04, 2023 08:41:10 am
      We signed trent instead. Guy on 5live yesterday said trent is better anyway. l o l

Quick Reply