Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v Leeds?

Alisson Becker
      1 (1.1%)
      Trent Alexander-Arnold
      3 (3.3%)
      Joel Matip
      6 (6.6%)
      Andy Robertson
      0 (0%)
      Virgil van Dijk
      0 (0%)
       Fabinho
      28 (30.8%)
      Thiago Alcantara
      19 (20.9%)
      Harvey Elliott
      17 (18.7%)
      Mohammed Salah
      14 (15.4%)
      Sadio Mane
      2 (2.2%)
      Diogo Jota
      1 (1.1%)

Total Members Voted: 91

Voting closed: Sep 16, 2021 06:29:29 pm

Leeds United 0-3 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 17343 times
      ruthcity
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,867 posts | 1465 
      Re: Leeds United 0-3 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #460: Sep 12, 2021 06:47:56 pm
      Yes Mane scored a goal, but my God was he awful. Been far to poor for far too long.

Maybe I was watching another match. But the defence was also very good at blocking today. Awful but still managed to score. He's that good.

But yeah, could have taken him off. But when you look at the bench, there's no direct decent replacement. We should have strengthened. Broken record. FSG's fault.
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,208 posts | 1503 
      Reply #461: Sep 12, 2021 06:48:52 pm
      Three points and three goals. Bit of a sour taste re Harvey. Hoping it might be a dislocation, that can look as bad as a break. Not half as serious though. Praying for him.
      Two footed tackle from behind needs to be 8 game ban.
      Cowardice at its worst.
      Otherwise a good performance all round. A few individuall lapses, and a few bits of individual brilliance.
      Getting smoother game by game.
      My motm Fab. As Tyler said, always in the right place at the right time. Reads the game so well.
      That in itself a miracle. Praise for a Liverpool player 🤷‍♂️
      bmck

• 9,404 posts | 1611 
      • YNWA
      Reply #462: Sep 12, 2021 06:50:18 pm
      That was a 0-3 hammering, should've been more, we were excellent :)  Important to get the 3 points today.

Gave Thiago MOTM, thought he's come in into the starting XI and done really well, and I'd thought he looked a but rusty last time out. Him and Fab between them bossed the middle from the start.

Absolutely GUTTED for Harvey, just got his foot in the door of the first XI and was doing so well. SOOOO unlucky for him :( Get well soon young man!!

Up front, we could've had 7 or 8 easily. Mane looked like he couldn't hit a barn door, but eventually got his goal, one thing Sadio will always do is give everything. His touch still isn't what it was a year or two ago, but hopefully he'll start converting more chances, he's getting into the positions right enough.

Matip and VVD give us the dominance at CB that we missed last season, makes such a difference, they always look in command. And great to see Joel carry the ball forward through the center a few times.

Great performance and result, just marred by the injury to Elliot.
      sore monad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,937 posts | 502 
      Reply #463: Sep 12, 2021 06:51:22 pm
      Good performance obviously, but so unlucky for Elliot. Hopefully a clean break (assuming it was a break, certainly looked like it), but probably will be out til spring you would think. Keita, Ox or Jones need to step up now and give us another option in that role.

MOTM was Mo again.

Get well soon Harvey.
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,479 posts | 3285 
      Reply #464: Sep 12, 2021 06:51:52 pm
      Matip was outstanding as well

They have shown the tackle again and in fairness i don’t think it’s a red card
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #465: Sep 12, 2021 06:52:12 pm
      Matip was outstanding as well

They have shown the tackle again and in fairness i don’t think it’s a red card

Agree.

Not a red for me.
      Breeding-Reds-In-The-434
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,088 posts | 1046 
      Reply #466: Sep 12, 2021 06:52:59 pm
      Maybe I was watching another match. But the defence was also very good at blocking today. Awful but still managed to score. He's that good.

But yeah, could have taken him off. But when you look at the bench, there's no direct decent replacement. We should have strengthened. Broken record. FSG's fault.

It was a classic Mane game since lockdwon. Gets into wonderful positions and can't finish it. His goal was classic Mane. Beautiful finish.

You can't deny his finishing has been dreadful for quite a while now. Tries to do too much and runs into defenders. Needs get off the ball and get back into focusing on positioning.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,466 posts | 4816 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #467: Sep 12, 2021 06:57:06 pm

Me neither
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #468: Sep 12, 2021 06:57:20 pm
      A new stat achieved for Mane today. Took him 10 shots to get that goal.

I didn’t think the challenge on Elliott was much at all at first but having seen the replay (admittedly only the once), Struijk definitely flies in with a fair amount of force and from behind. Was definitely an element of risk making that challenge IMO. Red card? Probably not, but definitely a yellow.
      PolarBearRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,695 posts | 837 
      Reply #469: Sep 12, 2021 06:58:34 pm
      I don't get it. Is it really the moment to talk about our squad depth with allusions to FSG and all that right after we just watched this kid's (our kid) season cut short right in front of our eyes? We can't give it a rest for a few hours even in a moment like this one? What is it gonna cost you to not bring that up for the rest of the day? I hope Harvey is going to be able to make a full recovery. Truly gutted for the kid, it was very hard watching the rest of the game with any real focus. Credit to the players for keeping their heads in the game and performing.

Harvey and the whole team will come out of this stronger. YNWA

In another order of idea here are the points I take away from this game:

1- Very solid defensively. Apart from one or two balls Leeds never really threatened us. Another clean sheet and 1 goal allowed in 4 games.

2- Trent somehow manages to evolve even more. He is dangerous from everywhere wether we are talking cross, intricate through passes or even taking the shot himself

3- Mane is very lively, making good runs, much better first touch than last season (although he still messed up a chance or two because of a bad first touch) and he is not giving up or sulking no matter how the sequence of play ends for him. The only thing is his finishing but if he can keep up the same levels of energy he displayed since the first game and not keep the ball at his feet for too long then he will have a good season.

4- Fabinho is about as underrated as you can get (including by some of our fans). The whole dynamic of the back-line and the midfield changes if he is not playing. Solid in the air, three lungs, the guy is everywhere, strong on the chalenge but never too much (stays clear of getting carded). He literally will stick his leg out at the perfect time to disposes without fouling nine times out of ten. Most center-halves can't pull that off let alone other DMs. I said it and I will say it again top 5 (if not top 3) DMs in the world this lad.

5- The front-line as a whole is looking very good. Salah is being Salah. Jota was everywhere back and forth, nice first touches, nice passes quickly without holding on to the ball for too long like Mane. And Mane well like I said he's getting there. All he needs to do is more of the same minus holding on to the ball for too long because he either loses it or slows down the play too much giving the opposition time to reshape. The finishing will come, we know he has it in him.
      bmck

• 9,404 posts | 1611 
      • YNWA
      Reply #470: Sep 12, 2021 07:01:06 pm
      It was a classic Mane game since lockdwon. Gets into wonderful positions and can't finish it. His goal was classic Mane. Beautiful finish.

You can't deny his finishing has been dreadful for quite a while now. Tries to do too much and runs into defenders. Needs get off the ball and get back into focusing on positioning.

The chance that summed it up for him for me was in the 2nd half, think Jota on left knocked it to Mo on the right, Mane was through the right side of the middle, Salah with a lovely pass put him thro, but Mane's first touch was poor, and brought him further left, away from goal and allowed the defender to get back to cover and he lost the chance of a 1-1 with the keeper. I know it's just one piece of play, but it's just the way its been going for him.

In saying that, would I drop him from the started XI - definitely not :)  the guy is a warrior. And delighted he got the goal eventually.
      Livershrew
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,393 posts | 376 
      Reply #471: Sep 12, 2021 07:05:20 pm
      Jürgen on the verge of tears man 😓
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #472: Sep 12, 2021 07:05:58 pm
      I don't get it. Is it really the moment to talk about our squad depth with allusions to FSG and all that right after we just watched this kid's (our kid) season cut short right in front of our eyes?

I think it's going to go on all season from some people.

Even if we go on to win the league it'll be " but we would have won or sooner/with more points if FSG had signed some players".

Unfortunately as well some are just praying for injuries to hit us for the 'I told you so'.
      ruthcity

• 6,867 posts | 1465 
      Reply #473: Sep 12, 2021 07:09:06 pm

I'm just an armchair manager. Not in a position to say what he should or shouldn't be doing. The pros know best.

But you're right we were disappointing today. The whole team. We didn't capitalise on our numerical advantage to score more goals. Just as we didn't strengthen after we won the league. We couldn't outdo United which scored four goals this weekend. By that we are already not keeping up. What our rivals do, we need to do more to keep up. Just as we didn't buy players at the end of the last transfer window...

Never praise the players as it will get to their heads and stop performing at their highest level. I'd just say get rid of him if we don't like him for not giving up. Should have gotten me a hat trick. Disappointing... I've been possessed by the Hemi god... by the way... the spirit visited me.
      bmck

• 9,404 posts | 1611 
      • YNWA
      Reply #474: Sep 12, 2021 07:10:22 pm
      Unfortunately as well some are just praying for injuries to hit us for the 'I told you so'.

Not really sure what to say to that, given the day that's in it, that LFC fans might be wishing for that to happen
      PTU
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,079 posts | 630 
      Reply #475: Sep 12, 2021 07:12:52 pm

In these situations, the ref will sometimes give a red card to protect the player.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,342 posts | 3368 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #476: Sep 12, 2021 07:15:58 pm
      Give it a rest with this fsg and the squad size sh*te..devastated for young Harvey which has overshadowed an excellent performance
      red trooper
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,834 posts | 67 
      • and don't be afraid of the dark
      Reply #477: Sep 12, 2021 07:23:21 pm
      Leeds were made to look like a side lacking desire today. Great to have VVD and Matip again, looks much easier on the midfield .Thiago, Fabinho and Elliot looking sound ,controlling and bossing . Jürgen visibly upset at young Harvey's injury ,just hope its not long term
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,233 posts | 752 
      Reply #478: Sep 12, 2021 07:34:13 pm
      Far too strong for Leeds, showing the class in this side, without adding to the squad. Simply hope it continues for the rest of the season !
      rossyred

• 9,090 posts | 1631 
      Reply #479: Sep 12, 2021 07:42:18 pm
      Dislocation , what's that anyone know 3 months ?
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #480: Sep 12, 2021 07:46:57 pm
      Great 3 points overshadowed by the injury. Wish Harvey a speedy recovery.

Delighted for Sadio, missed chances he shouldnt but kept going and got one.

Back 4 were boss.

In good nick, onto the next one
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,018 posts | 2741 
      Reply #481: Sep 12, 2021 07:49:55 pm

Depends on what comes with it.

If he's got a fracture or fractures and needs surgery it'll be 4-6 months I'd say. If it's just a dislocation and nothing else maybe 3 months.
      Edmund Bear
      • Forum Youth Player

• 15 posts | 19 
      Reply #482: Sep 12, 2021 07:50:28 pm

Depends on severity, but 6-12 weeks seems to be the generally cited figure, although 6 weeks would be pushing it for anything other than the slightest injury.  I'd imagine that Harvey's injury (unfortunately) is going to place his recovery towards the latter figure if what's being said at the moment is correct.

As chats says, it depends upon whether there's a fracture/fractures; if there are, then longer, sadly.

Quick Reply