Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Pre match: Liverpool v AC Milan, UCL. Wed 15th Sept. KO 8PM

Read 5549 times
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Re: Pre match: Liverpool v AC Milan, UCL. Wed 15th Sept. KO 8PM
      Reply #23: Sep 14, 2021 04:07:51 pm
      I don't really understand the point of this.  Now there will be a HUGE advantage for any side at home in the 2nd leg as they get to play 30 extra minutes AND have pens in front of their home crowd (if extra time is needed).  The former away goals rule at least helped balance some of this out by providing an option for away sides to grab a critical away goal in ET. 

Makes no difference, even with the away goals rule, the team away in the 2nd leg had potentially an extra 30mins to get the away goal, that’s how we ended up going out to Atletico when Adrian done his best to do everything but keep the ball out the net. 120mins for an away goal compared to the 90 we had.
      CT_LFC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,782 posts | 1395 
      Reply #24: Sep 14, 2021 04:15:32 pm
      Makes no difference, even with the away goals rule, the team away in the 2nd leg had potentially an extra 30mins to get the away goal, that’s how we ended up going out to Atletico when Adrian done his best to do everything but keep the ball out the net. 120mins for an away goal compared to the 90 we had.

And with the stupid away goal rule, after Atletico scores to make it 2-1 it meant we had to score to go through even though the combined score was 2-2 and we would have gone to penalties.  Glad that sh*t rule is gone.
      -LFC-
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,136 posts | 1192 
      Reply #25: Sep 14, 2021 04:18:36 pm
      Home game so we can't really f*ck about in a toughish group. Hendo in for Harvey. Otherwise I'd keep it the same. Rotate once we're 4-0 up.

Am I missing something...is this not irrelevant at this stage of the competition?
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,452 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #26: Sep 14, 2021 04:26:13 pm
      Thats gotta be a plus. Beast of a player in his heyday, ageing now but still a threat.
      Giroud decent as well. Especially in the air.

Still think we’re winning this though.  3:1 the red men.

YA. Im thinking we could smash them
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #27: Sep 14, 2021 04:34:26 pm
      And with the stupid away goal rule, after Atletico scores to make it 2-1 it meant we had to score to go through even though the combined score was 2-2 and we would have gone to penalties.  Glad that sh*t rule is gone.

Yeah neither rule is particularly ideal but it has to be one or the other, it’s the nature of having 2 legged ties. But it’s far better not having the away goals, because situations like you said above.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,452 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #28: Sep 14, 2021 04:47:44 pm
      I was thinking hell go with him and rest v Palace, but I agree he wont play both

Id say Milan game is maybe more Important, but Konate or Gomez could easily cope, depends how klopp sees it. Maybe he sees the palace game as better game to give konate or gomez a run out
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,300 posts | 3869 
      Reply #29: Sep 14, 2021 05:03:40 pm

Not valuable in the group stage anyway is it?
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,300 posts | 3869 
      Reply #30: Sep 14, 2021 05:04:35 pm
      Id say Milan game is maybe more Important, but Konate or Gomez could easily cope, depends how klopp sees it. Maybe he sees the palace game as better game to give konate or gomez a run out

I would definitely start Konate or Gomez alongside VVD.

Need to wrap Matip in cotton wool
      harrydunn08

• 5,915 posts | 957 
      Reply #31: Sep 14, 2021 05:14:11 pm

Alternatively, we had 120 minutes to win a match at home rather than only 90 minutes.  We also had the promise of pens in front of the Anfield crowd if we only didn't concede during extra time. 

Point is, it was more balanced before.  Maybe not perfect, but more balanced.  Now there the team at home in the 2nd leg has way more benefit.  Completely lopsided...
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,300 posts | 3869 
      Reply #32: Sep 14, 2021 05:15:25 pm
      Alternatively, we had 120 minutes to win a match at home rather than only 90 minutes.  We also had the promise of pens in front of the Anfield crowd if we only didn't concede during extra time. 

Point is, it was more balanced before.  Maybe not perfect, but more balanced.  Now there the team at home in the 2nd leg has way more benefit.  Completely lopsided...

I agree, I don’t like the change at all
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,962 posts | 3944 
      Reply #33: Sep 14, 2021 05:18:16 pm
      Thank F**k they binned that away goal nonsense.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #34: Sep 14, 2021 05:35:47 pm
      Every time I see Traoré's name, I can't help but laugh... We won the CL against what is arguably one of the best starting 11 of all time with Djimi Traoré...  :lmao:

Who made a goaline clearance in the game and in Turin. Disco Djimi played his part.
      PTU
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,079 posts | 630 
      Reply #35: Sep 14, 2021 05:48:00 pm
      Who made a goaline clearance in the game and in Turin. Disco Djimi played his part.

Oh yes, no question about it! I actually have fond memories of him playing in red.
      Still, when you look at the 22 names that started the 2005 final, he's really the odd man out.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #36: Sep 14, 2021 06:49:04 pm

Bit of a contradiction there mate. First paragraph you are saying about the benefit of how we had 120 mins at home with the prospect of pens too if we didn’t concede but then in the second paragraph you are bemoaning the change that was the exact same scenario of how we had 120mins at home and potential pens in front of our fans.

Unless I’ve read your post wrong.

Whichever way you look at it, whatever rule there is, so long as it’s played over 2 legs, there will always be one team that potentially benefits more than the other. Unless they add a 3rd game at a neutral venue if the first 2 legs are a draw, it will never be a completely even scenario.
      ruthcity

• 6,867 posts | 1465 
      Reply #37: Sep 14, 2021 06:55:08 pm
      Am I missing something...is this not irrelevant at this stage of the competition?

Not valuable in the group stage anyway is it?
      Somebody who knows, please decode this. I don’t understand this as well…

Abolition of the away goals rule in all UEFA club competitions
      Since away goals would no longer be given additional weight to decide a tie, they would also be removed from the criteria used to determine the rankings when two or more teams are equal on points in the group stage i.e. the criteria applied to matches played by the teams in question. They would not be removed from the additional criteria applied to all group matches if the teams remain equal (higher number of away goals scored in all group matches), in order to retain a maximum number of sporting criteria.

https://www.uefa.com/returntoplay/news/026a-1298aeb73a7a-5b64cb68d920-1000--abolition-of-away-goals-rule-in-all-uefa-club-competitions/
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #38: Sep 14, 2021 06:55:30 pm
      Oh yes, no question about it! I actually have fond memories of him playing in red.
      Still, when you look at the 22 names that started the 2005 final, he's really the odd man out.

That would be Kewell!! Did precisely F**k all on the way to the final and lasted about 25 minutes
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #39: Sep 14, 2021 06:56:29 pm
      Zlatan out tomorrow with achilles injury.
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,479 posts | 3285 
      Reply #40: Sep 14, 2021 07:08:33 pm
      Can see a few changes tomorrow

Kostas
      Konate
      Keita
      ox to play

Alisson

TAA
      Konate
      VVD
      Kostas

Fabinho
      Henderson
      Keita

Ox
      Jota
      Mo

FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Reply #41: Sep 14, 2021 08:22:37 pm
      Somebody who knows, please decode this. I don’t understand this as well…

Abolition of the away goals rule in all UEFA club competitions
      Since away goals would no longer be given additional weight to decide a tie, they would also be removed from the criteria used to determine the rankings when two or more teams are equal on points in the group stage i.e. the criteria applied to matches played by the teams in question. They would not be removed from the additional criteria applied to all group matches if the teams remain equal (higher number of away goals scored in all group matches), in order to retain a maximum number of sporting criteria.

https://www.uefa.com/returntoplay/news/026a-1298aeb73a7a-5b64cb68d920-1000--abolition-of-away-goals-rule-in-all-uefa-club-competitions/

If I'm reading it right....the away goals wouldn't be used in individual groups but would somehow be used between multiple groups if there is some sort of tie? There are only 2 teams from each group right? They didn't change that?
      harrydunn08

• 5,915 posts | 957 
      Reply #42: Sep 14, 2021 10:09:08 pm
      Bit of a contradiction there mate. First paragraph you are saying about the benefit of how we had 120 mins at home with the prospect of pens too if we didn’t concede but then in the second paragraph you are bemoaning the change that was the exact same scenario of how we had 120mins at home and potential pens in front of our fans.

I was pointing out that with the away goals rule, there were unique advantages for both sides.  The away side in the 2nd leg gets 30 minutes to score a goal that counts for more than a goal for the home side.  The home side gets the benefit of a 0-0 draw in extra time resulting in pens taken in front of their home crowd -- which is a massive bonus!!

The removal of the rule just means there is no benefit whatsoever for the side at home in the 1st leg and away in the 2nd.  So, it is even more lopsided to me now than before. 
      Livershrew
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,393 posts | 376 
      Reply #43: Sep 14, 2021 10:15:13 pm
      pretty surprised how many people are just writing Milan off (not necessarily on here)
      They're really really good. looked like they'd win the league last season until injuries started to hit.
      CT_LFC

• 6,782 posts | 1395 
      Reply #44: Sep 15, 2021 03:09:18 am
      Does not look like Bobby will be fit for tomorrow, though apparently is jogging and doing ball work. Interesting the team has been so quiet about his injury/recovery, but could really use him back soon.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,821 posts | 4920 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #45: Sep 15, 2021 04:50:25 am
      pretty surprised how many people are just writing Milan off (not necessarily on here)
      They're really really good. looked like they'd win the league last season until injuries started to hit.

Yeah mate I’m one of them, AC might still be a decent outfit but the league’s we play in are chalk and cheese, if we play anywhere near top gear they will have no chance, we will batter them, however, it’s early doors yet and we are yet to reach our full potential, so far we haven’t had to get out of third gear yet but we’re not far off it, I honestly cannot see Milan offering too much to worry about, it’s their first time at Anfield and I thinks they’ll be pleasantly surprised, Rabbits in lights, springs to mind, they won’t cope with our intensity and I can see them parking a couple of double deckers(no chocolate involved) trying to come away with a point.

Edit; I will of course enjoy my humble pie if I’m wrong!

3-0 Mighty Redmen

Y  N  W  A

Quick Reply