Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Pre match: Liverpool v AC Milan, UCL. Wed 15th Sept. KO 8PM

Read 5548 times
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,659 posts | 3670 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Re: Pre match: Liverpool v AC Milan, UCL. Wed 15th Sept. KO 8PM
      Reply #46: Sep 15, 2021 08:19:36 am
      No mention of who is fit and who isn't but at least we found out Klopp watched the tennis

I can tell you without difficulty. Elliott obviously is out, Firmino is out too. Minamino and Milner back in training but we need to check on their match fitness. Little knocks as usual.

Take care mate.

Hope we beat them to continue the good momentum and have a good foundation for the rest of the group.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #47: Sep 15, 2021 09:14:30 am
      For me it should be no messing about and get three points on the board.

I'd be tempted to go with Joel again before giving him a break at the weekend and same for Robertson.

Henderson in for Elliott and same front three.
      rossyred
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,090 posts | 1631 
      Reply #48: Sep 15, 2021 09:31:53 am
      I can tell you without difficulty. Elliott obviously is out, Firmino is out too. Minamino and Milner back in training but we need to check on their match fitness. Little knocks as usual.

Take care mate.

Hope we beat them to continue the good momentum and have a good foundation for the rest of the group.

Cheers saw Mimimino and Milner in training . Still no timeframe on Bobby ?
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,233 posts | 752 
      Reply #49: Sep 15, 2021 10:30:22 am
      Obviously a full strength side, for tonight's game against AC Milan. Gone for a 2 0 win in the prediction league. Although my predictions have been off the mark lately, perhaps we will see more goals from the Reds tonight.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #50: Sep 15, 2021 11:31:24 am
      No more away goals rule. An away goal is no longer more valuable than a home goal.

Going to miss that rule.  Thought it was actually a good one - encouraging away teams to make a game of it.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #51: Sep 15, 2021 11:34:32 am
      Why are we all talking about away goals rule for a group stage match? Was one of the more sensible rules, make the away team have a go, anyway

Whats the vibes in the city around team selection? Were Milan fans allowed travel?

Not going to be on the same level as old Milan teams but this will be tricky.
      Gogeqac_8
      • Forum Youth Player

• 11 posts |
      Reply #52: Sep 15, 2021 11:50:01 am
      Have a sneaky feeling Konate might get his debut for some reason

Alisson
        Trent - Konate - Dijk - Robbo
                       Fabinho
                  Hendo - Thiago
               Salah - Jota - Mane

I have the exact same feeling. Also Keita might get a start
      harrydunn08

• 5,915 posts | 957 
      Reply #53: Sep 15, 2021 12:34:12 pm
      I'm torn on the starting lineup.  On one hand, I say pick the strongest 11.  On the other, I know we will need to start rotating players soon -- particularly the likes of VVD and Matip.  Virg needs to be given the odd rest to keep him fresh after a a long time out with a critical injury, and Joel needs the odd rest to help prevent him from breaking down. 

I'd probably opt for Gomez rather than Konate as he will have better chemistry with Joel/Virg. 

I think we can leave midfield and attack alone for this -- just Hendo in for Elliot.   

Ali
      TAA - Joe - Joel - Robbo
      Fab
      Hendo -- Thiago
      Mo - Jota - Mane
      skamp
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 834 posts | 306 
      Reply #54: Sep 15, 2021 12:39:35 pm
      Got to go strong tonight for me; have to start with a win at home in the CL, so as close to full strength as possible.
      Very confident of a routine win, 2-0 or 3-1.

Can rest VVD, Robbo & & 1 or 2 of the midfield against Palace; start Konate/Gomez, Tsimikas, Keita, Ox maybe for that game; should still have more than enough to win fairly comfortably.

COME ON YOU MIGHTY REDS!!!
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,018 posts | 2741 
      Reply #55: Sep 15, 2021 01:11:32 pm
      Think we have to go strong here. Dropping points at home early doors in a group like this one could be trouble.
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,300 posts | 3869 
      Reply #56: Sep 15, 2021 01:22:01 pm
      Think we have to go strong here. Dropping points at home early doors in a group like this one could be trouble.

Agreed, let’s just get 3 points on the board
      CT_LFC

• 6,782 posts | 1395 
      Reply #57: Sep 15, 2021 01:43:49 pm
      Going to miss that rule.  Thought it was actually a good one - encouraging away teams to make a game of it.

Disagree. I felt the rule made the home team be more hesitant to attack because of the risk of getting caught on a counterattack and give up an away goal.

And the fact that an away goal in extra time of the second leg sometimes meant the home team had to score 2 was hugely unfair when it’s only 30 minutes. 
      TameImpala
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,269 posts | 1216 
      • He's five foot seven, he's football heaven
      Reply #58: Sep 15, 2021 02:12:46 pm
      Why are we all talking about away goals rule for a group stage match? Was one of the more sensible rules, make the away team have a go, anyway

Whats the vibes in the city around team selection? Were Milan fans allowed travel?

Not going to be on the same level as old Milan teams but this will be tricky.

Noticed a few blocks in the lower Annie Rd which are usually delegated to away supporters went on sale last week. Think there'll be a few hundred Milan supporters there and they'll probably just take up the one block of the stand as opposed to the usual 3 or 4. Think the majority of those will live in the UK too, so won't be your standard hard-core ultra support which usually travel to European away games.
      TameImpala
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,269 posts | 1216 
      Reply #59: Sep 15, 2021 02:16:18 pm
      Think we'll leather them tonight. 3+ goal margin I reckon. Got a feeling we'll get at them early & they'll end up like rabbits in the headlights
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,030 posts | 1973 
      Reply #60: Sep 15, 2021 02:22:56 pm
      Disagree. I felt the rule made the home team be more hesitant to attack because of the risk of getting caught on a counterattack and give up an away goal.

And the fact that an away goal in extra time of the second leg sometimes meant the home team had to score 2 was hugely unfair when it’s only 30 minutes.

Did you actually think that? Or are you just arguing for arguments sake as usual? Have you ever mentioned those thoughts before? I suspect not.

I can’t recall many, if any at all, where the home team in the CL have been extremely hesitant refusing to attack.

The away goal rule was a good one. The games were far more entertaining and now we’re going to see a lot more boring matches, ten man defences and time wasting is going to be a lot worse.

And yes the away team had the advantage if the match went to extra time, but the home team had the original advantage of playing the second leg at home. It’s a lot easier playing the second leg at home when you know the outcome of the first leg - as we have seen ourselves at anfield numerous times.

Give it a couple of seasons and the away goal will come back into the game.
      sore monad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,937 posts | 502 
      Reply #61: Sep 15, 2021 02:43:37 pm
      Did you actually think that? Or are you just arguing for arguments sake as usual? Have you ever mentioned those thoughts before? I suspect not.

I can’t recall many, if any at all, where the home team in the CL have been extremely hesitant refusing to attack.

The away goal rule was a good one. The games were far more entertaining and now we’re going to see a lot more boring matches, ten man defences and time wasting is going to be a lot worse.

And yes the away team had the advantage if the match went to extra time, but the home team had the original advantage of playing the second leg at home. It’s a lot easier playing the second leg at home when you know the outcome of the first leg - as we have seen ourselves at anfield numerous times.

Yeah we are going to see more defensive tactics from away sides now. Bound to. There was maybe a case for dropping the away goal rule once into extra time, but for normal time it made sense and obviously encouraged away teams to not just park the bus for 90 minutes, especially in the first leg. Would not be at all surprised if it was back in a couple of years.
      CT_LFC

• 6,782 posts | 1395 
      Reply #62: Sep 15, 2021 03:16:34 pm

Ah, here's our "If it weren't for Phillips we wouldn't have given up any goals at Real" expert.
      bmck

• 9,404 posts | 1611 
      • YNWA
      Reply #63: Sep 15, 2021 03:36:31 pm
      Yeah we are going to see more defensive tactics from away sides now. Bound to. There was maybe a case for dropping the away goal rule once into extra time, but for normal time it made sense and obviously encouraged away teams to not just park the bus for 90 minutes, especially in the first leg. Would not be at all surprised if it was back in a couple of years.

Thought the away goal rule was a good thing too
      bmck

• 9,404 posts | 1611 
      • YNWA
      Reply #64: Sep 15, 2021 03:45:34 pm
      Would expect a few changes tonight. Hendo to start after not starting on the weekend. Maybe Keita. Maybe Matip rested.
      Up front, with Bob injured not sure.

But Jürgen can't just keep playing the same players week in week out, what's it with 7 games in 22 days or whatever it is.
      In saying that, important to get the result tonite at home, this is a tough group.

Would think he has to try things like AOC in the front 3. Taki might be a longer shot. Even though they haven't impressed in general play.
      With "main lads" ready to come on as sub if needed.

We'll see I guess.
      TameImpala
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,269 posts | 1216 
      Reply #65: Sep 15, 2021 03:49:50 pm
      Just read Ibrahimovic is out. Gutted. Would have loved to have given them a beating with him in the side. Can't stand the big, cringey weirdo
      ruthcity

• 6,867 posts | 1465 
      Reply #66: Sep 15, 2021 03:55:33 pm
      Ibrahimovic is a wonderful footballer. That England goal… would be good to have him play at Anfield and lose!
      TameImpala
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,269 posts | 1216 
      Reply #67: Sep 15, 2021 04:17:24 pm
      would be good to have him play at Anfield and lose!

Think he was playing for Juve in 05 & Inter in 07 (or 08?) when they both lost at Anfield so he's got form for it!

He is a good footballer to be fair, still banging the goals in at almost 40 years of age too, so have to take my hat off in that regard.

Just find a lot of the carry on out of him a bit cringe and OTT
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,233 posts | 752 
      Reply #68: Sep 15, 2021 04:33:50 pm
      A win by a couple of goals ideally with a clean sheet, to start the competition off tonight !

Quick Reply