Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 19th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P21 W11 D8 L2

Pre match: Norwich City v Liverpool, EFL Cup (A) : Tues 21st Sep 7:45 pm

Read 4877 times
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Pre match: Norwich City v Liverpool, EFL Cup (A) : Tues 21st Sep 7:45 pm
      Sep 18, 2021 08:57:47 pm
      We enter the competition in the 3rd round along with the other qualifiers for European football. We've won this competition a record eight times, most recently in 2012. We reached the final in Jürgen's first season with us, and the semifinal the next, but went out in the 3rd or 4th round the subsequent years (save our U21 team losing in the quarterfinal vs. Villa the season we won the Club World Championship).

We've gone deep into the squad for the starting lineup in many of these games and the congested schedule this season likely invites a similar choice from Jürgen in this match. Among first team players we might see get the start on Tuesday are:

Caoimhin Kelleher
      Nat Phillips
      Alex Oxlaide-Chamberlin
      Curtis Jones
      Takumi Minamino
      Divock Origi

We might see a few U23 players at least on the bench as well, including Billy Koumetio, Conor Bradley, Jack Bearne and Kaide Gordon.

Or we could go strong and really try to win this competition, but I really doubt it. Man City have won the League Cup 4 seasons in a row.
      Richard88
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 399 posts | 145 
      • John 3:16
      Re: Pre match: Norwich City v Liverpool, EFL Cup (A) : Tues 21st Sep 7:45 pm
      Reply #1: Sep 19, 2021 02:40:28 am
      I like the way Klopp has managed the CB's since the break. He's given Van Dijk and Matip rests, and gotten Gomez and Konate involved in consecutive games. Smart thinking with giving Konate his debut next to Van Dijk who is a commanding leader to play next to.

Matip/Van Dijk against Leeds.
      Matip/Gomez against Milan.
      Konate/Van Dijk against Palace.

Looking forward I'd expect Konate and Gomez to start together against Norwich. Gomez played on the left against Milan and Konate on the right against Palace so I'd expect Konate on the right and Gomez on the left. Going with Konate/Gomez against Norwich allows Matip and Van Dijk to start together against Brentford, with Konate/Gomez getting the midweek game at Porto to keep our first choice pairing fresh for Man City.

Konate/Gomez against Norwich
      Matip/Van Dijk vs Brentford
      Konate/Gomez vs Porto
      Matip/Van Dijk vs Man City

Seen mentions of playing Phillips but I'd be surprised if we see him start against Norwich. Klopp needs to give Konate games to get him up to speed asap, and Gomez needs games to get up to match fitness again too.

Richard88
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 399 posts | 145 
      Reply #2: Sep 19, 2021 02:52:50 am
      I would guess that the full lineup for Norwich will probably be something like this:

Kelleher
      Milner  Konate   Gomez   Tsimikas
                     Henderson
                 Ox            Jones
      Minamino     Jota             Origi

Kelleher is clearly the No.2 and will start if fit.

The CB pairing seems like an easy choice of Konate and Gomez, it seems like the logical choice as opined in the post above.

Not sure if Neco is fit or not, but if he's not then Milner probably slots in at RB again, though ideally he'd be playing DM just as in the season opener. If Trent is healthy he might start as he rested against Palace, but I'd hazard a guess that Klopp would rather save his legs to play 3 games against Brentford/Porto/Man City. Alternatively Bradley might get a game, as he probably earned an opportunity in preseason - and that would free up Milner to play at DM instead of Henderson.

At LB Tsimikas probably keeps his place. He got 2 consecutive games to start the season and get in a groove, and Klopp probably gives him another 2 consecutive games here. He also already has the experience of played well against Norwich. That means that Robertson gets some rest after playing a lot in the international break and against Leeds, and can play the 3 subsequent fixtures (Brentford/Porto/City).

If Milner plays RB then we'll need one of Fabinho or Henderson to play DM here, and the choice should be Henderson imo. Fabinho is the most important midfielder so shouldn't start in the cup. Ideally Milner would be freed up to play DM to rest Henderson too though.

With Elliott and likely Thiago out, our options in the No.8 roles are Keita, Jones, and Ox (assuming that Milner starts at RB and Henderson starts at DM). Keita needs to be kept fit for Brentford so Ox and Jones are the logical selections.

Up front I wouldn't want to start Mane or Salah, and Firmino is injured still, so it picks itself really. This is a perfect opportunity to get Minamino and Origi some minutes. Jota got subbed at 75 against Palace and he'll probably be keen to get back on his bike quickly again after missing a sitter against Palace. Klopp did say that Gordon could get some gametime in the cups this season though so maybe he slots in at RW with Jota given a rest as well.

If Klopp wants to go with more youth we could see both Bradley and Gordon start, but it's not really like Klopp to debut two youngsters in positions adjacent to one another. Rather he tends to insulate young players by surrounding them with a veteran player or two in the vicinity. Maybe having Henderson/Milner and Ox in midfield would help somewhat though.
      « Last Edit: Sep 19, 2021 03:00:54 am by Richard88 »
      CT_LFC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,782 posts | 1395 
      Reply #3: Sep 19, 2021 03:19:14 am
      I believe it was Clarkson who looked really promising last year during a cup game. Hopefully he gets to play against Norwich.
      rossyred

• 9,070 posts | 1615 
      Reply #4: Sep 19, 2021 11:39:31 am
      I believe it was Clarkson who looked really promising last year during a cup game. Hopefully he gets to play against Norwich.

He will struggle as he is at Blackburn. No reason why Robbo and Trent can't have some minutes here but have to look at resting all the front 3 and Fab . Jones ,Milner and Keita midfield 3
      ed603em
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 727 posts | 111 
      Reply #5: Sep 19, 2021 11:45:30 am
      Kelleher will play because Allisson is relatively injury-prone and we need Kelleher to have some first-team experience as I don't think he's played in front of a proper crowd yet. I really don't care if we win this trophy - nowadays it is on a par with the pre-season trophies that we occasionally win, and it won't be around for too much longer - but I would like us to have a decent run so that we can give the younger players a decent run of games at first-team level.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,434 posts | 1731 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #6: Sep 19, 2021 11:54:19 am
      We enter the competition in the 3rd round along with the other qualifiers for European football. We've won this competition a record eight times, most recently in 2012. We reached the final in Jürgen's first season with us, and the semifinal the next, but went out in the 3rd or 4th round the subsequent years (save our U21 team losing in the quarterfinal vs. Villa the season we won the Club World Championship).

We've gone deep into the squad for the starting lineup in many of these games and the congested schedule this season likely invites a similar choice from Jürgen in this match. Among first team players we might see get the start on Tuesday are:

Caoimhin Kelleher
      Nat Phillips
      Alex Oxlaide-Chamberlin
      Curtis Jones
      Takumi Minamino
      Divock Origi

We might see a few U23 players at least on the bench as well, including Billy Koumetio, Conor Bradley, Jack Bearne and Kaide Gordon.

Or we could go strong and really try to win this competition, but I really doubt it. Man City have won the League Cup 4 seasons in a row.

Id love big Nat to get a start. Could be this, pretty good team, Big hitters on bench if needed.

If Taki is fit, he probably starts instead of wee Gordon.

---------------- Kelleher -------------------
      - Williams - Nat.P - Gomez - The Greek -
      ----------------- Milner (c) ----------------
      ---------- OX ---------- Jones -------------
      - Gordon -------- Jota ----- Origi ---------
      CT_LFC

• 6,782 posts | 1395 
      Reply #7: Sep 19, 2021 02:23:27 pm
      He will struggle as he is at Blackburn. No reason why Robbo and Trent can't have some minutes here but have to look at resting all the front 3 and Fab . Jones ,Milner and Keita midfield 3

Didn’t realize he was out on loan. Bummer. Do hope we sprinkle in one or 2 academy players.
      rossyred

• 9,070 posts | 1615 
      Reply #8: Sep 19, 2021 02:40:19 pm
      Didn’t realize he was out on loan. Bummer. Do hope we sprinkle in one or 2 academy players.

Gordon will be involved for sure
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #9: Sep 19, 2021 03:17:06 pm
      Kelleher

Gomez, Konate, Phillips, Kostas

Jones, Keita, Milner

Taki, Origi, Ox

Then would expect Gordon to make an appearance, possibly for Keita and Ox dropping back to midfield.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,102 posts | 4866 
      Reply #10: Sep 19, 2021 10:23:04 pm
      I would guess that the full lineup for Norwich will probably be something like this:

Kelleher
      Milner  Konate   Gomez   Tsimikas
                     Henderson
                 Ox            Jones
      Minamino     Jota             Origi

Kelleher is clearly the No.2 and will start if fit.

The CB pairing seems like an easy choice of Konate and Gomez, it seems like the logical choice as opined in the post above.

Not sure if Neco is fit or not, but if he's not then Milner probably slots in at RB again, though ideally he'd be playing DM just as in the season opener. If Trent is healthy he might start as he rested against Palace, but I'd hazard a guess that Klopp would rather save his legs to play 3 games against Brentford/Porto/Man City. Alternatively Bradley might get a game, as he probably earned an opportunity in preseason - and that would free up Milner to play at DM instead of Henderson.

At LB Tsimikas probably keeps his place. He got 2 consecutive games to start the season and get in a groove, and Klopp probably gives him another 2 consecutive games here. He also already has the experience of played well against Norwich. That means that Robertson gets some rest after playing a lot in the international break and against Leeds, and can play the 3 subsequent fixtures (Brentford/Porto/City).

If Milner plays RB then we'll need one of Fabinho or Henderson to play DM here, and the choice should be Henderson imo. Fabinho is the most important midfielder so shouldn't start in the cup. Ideally Milner would be freed up to play DM to rest Henderson too though.

With Elliott and likely Thiago out, our options in the No.8 roles are Keita, Jones, and Ox (assuming that Milner starts at RB and Henderson starts at DM). Keita needs to be kept fit for Brentford so Ox and Jones are the logical selections.

Up front I wouldn't want to start Mane or Salah, and Firmino is injured still, so it picks itself really. This is a perfect opportunity to get Minamino and Origi some minutes. Jota got subbed at 75 against Palace and he'll probably be keen to get back on his bike quickly again after missing a sitter against Palace. Klopp did say that Gordon could get some gametime in the cups this season though so maybe he slots in at RW with Jota given a rest as well.

If Klopp wants to go with more youth we could see both Bradley and Gordon start, but it's not really like Klopp to debut two youngsters in positions adjacent to one another. Rather he tends to insulate young players by surrounding them with a veteran player or two in the vicinity. Maybe having Henderson/Milner and Ox in midfield would help somewhat though.

Pretty much agree mate but I'd play Neco RB and Milner at 6.
      Richard88
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 399 posts | 145 
      Reply #11: Sep 19, 2021 10:24:10 pm
      Kaide Gordon and Connor Bradley were both left out of the U23's game against Leeds which suggests that they could be involved against Norwich.

If they both start that makes the rest of the team selection pretty straightforward:

Kelleher
      Bradley  Konate  Gomez   Tsimikas
                           Milner
                    Ox           Jones
        Gordon    Minamino      Origi
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,102 posts | 4866 
      Reply #12: Sep 19, 2021 10:26:21 pm
      Kaide Gordon and Connor Bradley were both left out of the U23's game against Leeds which suggests that they could be involved against Norwich.

If they both start that makes the rest of the team selection pretty straightforward:

Kelleher
      Bradley  Konate  Gomez   Tsimikas
                           Milner
                    Ox           Jones
        Gordon    Minamino      Origi

Could very well be the team.

Conor leaped above Neco do we think?
      Richard88
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 399 posts | 145 
      Reply #13: Sep 19, 2021 10:29:16 pm
      Kelleher

Gomez, Konate, Phillips, Kostas

Jones, Keita, Milner

Taki, Origi, Ox

Then would expect Gordon to make an appearance, possibly for Keita and Ox dropping back to midfield.
      With Elliott and Thiago injured Keita is firmly in our best midfield (with Fabinho and Henderson) so it would be really surprising to see him involved against Norwich. Best to rest him for the games against Brentford, Porto, and Man City.

Moreover, Ox and Jones need minutes as neither has featured prominently so far, and this game is the perfect opportunity to get them some gametime.
      Richard88
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 399 posts | 145 
      Reply #14: Sep 19, 2021 10:30:11 pm
      Could very well be the team.

Conor leaped above Neco do we think?
      Neco is injured apparently which is why I overlooked him. If he's fit presumably he would start this game ahead of Bradley or Milner at RB.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,102 posts | 4866 
      Reply #15: Sep 19, 2021 10:42:32 pm
      Neco is injured apparently which is why I overlooked him. If he's fit presumably he would start this game ahead of Bradley or Milner at RB.

Ah cheers mate. Didn't realise that.
      UncleBob
      • Spotify Bob
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,135 posts | 567 
      Reply #16: Sep 19, 2021 11:34:49 pm
      Who’s that left back we got who is some relation of Ian Rush. I think he played well pre season? Wonder if he will get minutes?

I always like these league cup games: chance to see what our youngsters are made of. If we win, great. If we lose, oh well.

Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #17: Sep 20, 2021 01:05:10 am
      Who’s that left back we got who is some relation of Ian Rush. I think he played well pre season? Wonder if he will get minutes?

I always like these league cup games: chance to see what our youngsters are made of. If we win, great. If we lose, oh well.

That is Owen Beck; 18 and just signed a full contract. He could be involved, but I think Tsimikas starts at left back.
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,659 posts | 3670 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #18: Sep 20, 2021 08:22:22 am
      NB: Team no longer available

I would play some fringe players and one youth.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,434 posts | 1731 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #19: Sep 20, 2021 08:43:29 am

Bugger didn't realize that. Klopp could use Gomez at RB for this game if Milner is rested or in MF.
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,299 posts | 3868 
      Reply #20: Sep 20, 2021 09:00:49 am
      NB: Team no longer available
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,434 posts | 1731 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #21: Sep 20, 2021 09:46:52 am

Could be the team, but think Gordon will be starting.
      Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #22: Sep 20, 2021 10:41:40 am
      Not too fussed with this one tbh.

Quick Reply