Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 25th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W9 D9 L7

Pre match: Norwich City v Liverpool, EFL Cup (A) : Tues 21st Sep 7:45 pm

Read 5076 times
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Pre match: Norwich City v Liverpool, EFL Cup (A) : Tues 21st Sep 7:45 pm
      Sep 18, 2021 08:57:47 pm
      We enter the competition in the 3rd round along with the other qualifiers for European football. We've won this competition a record eight times, most recently in 2012. We reached the final in Jürgen's first season with us, and the semifinal the next, but went out in the 3rd or 4th round the subsequent years (save our U21 team losing in the quarterfinal vs. Villa the season we won the Club World Championship).

We've gone deep into the squad for the starting lineup in many of these games and the congested schedule this season likely invites a similar choice from Jürgen in this match. Among first team players we might see get the start on Tuesday are:

Caoimhin Kelleher
      Nat Phillips
      Alex Oxlaide-Chamberlin
      Curtis Jones
      Takumi Minamino
      Divock Origi

We might see a few U23 players at least on the bench as well, including Billy Koumetio, Conor Bradley, Jack Bearne and Kaide Gordon.

Or we could go strong and really try to win this competition, but I really doubt it. Man City have won the League Cup 4 seasons in a row.
      Richard88
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 399 posts | 145 
      • John 3:16
      Re: Pre match: Norwich City v Liverpool, EFL Cup (A) : Tues 21st Sep 7:45 pm
      Reply #1: Sep 19, 2021 02:40:28 am
      I like the way Klopp has managed the CB's since the break. He's given Van Dijk and Matip rests, and gotten Gomez and Konate involved in consecutive games. Smart thinking with giving Konate his debut next to Van Dijk who is a commanding leader to play next to.

Matip/Van Dijk against Leeds.
      Matip/Gomez against Milan.
      Konate/Van Dijk against Palace.

Looking forward I'd expect Konate and Gomez to start together against Norwich. Gomez played on the left against Milan and Konate on the right against Palace so I'd expect Konate on the right and Gomez on the left. Going with Konate/Gomez against Norwich allows Matip and Van Dijk to start together against Brentford, with Konate/Gomez getting the midweek game at Porto to keep our first choice pairing fresh for Man City.

Konate/Gomez against Norwich
      Matip/Van Dijk vs Brentford
      Konate/Gomez vs Porto
      Matip/Van Dijk vs Man City

Seen mentions of playing Phillips but I'd be surprised if we see him start against Norwich. Klopp needs to give Konate games to get him up to speed asap, and Gomez needs games to get up to match fitness again too.

Richard88
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 399 posts | 145 
      Reply #2: Sep 19, 2021 02:52:50 am
      I would guess that the full lineup for Norwich will probably be something like this:

Kelleher
      Milner  Konate   Gomez   Tsimikas
                     Henderson
                 Ox            Jones
      Minamino     Jota             Origi

Kelleher is clearly the No.2 and will start if fit.

The CB pairing seems like an easy choice of Konate and Gomez, it seems like the logical choice as opined in the post above.

Not sure if Neco is fit or not, but if he's not then Milner probably slots in at RB again, though ideally he'd be playing DM just as in the season opener. If Trent is healthy he might start as he rested against Palace, but I'd hazard a guess that Klopp would rather save his legs to play 3 games against Brentford/Porto/Man City. Alternatively Bradley might get a game, as he probably earned an opportunity in preseason - and that would free up Milner to play at DM instead of Henderson.

At LB Tsimikas probably keeps his place. He got 2 consecutive games to start the season and get in a groove, and Klopp probably gives him another 2 consecutive games here. He also already has the experience of played well against Norwich. That means that Robertson gets some rest after playing a lot in the international break and against Leeds, and can play the 3 subsequent fixtures (Brentford/Porto/City).

If Milner plays RB then we'll need one of Fabinho or Henderson to play DM here, and the choice should be Henderson imo. Fabinho is the most important midfielder so shouldn't start in the cup. Ideally Milner would be freed up to play DM to rest Henderson too though.

With Elliott and likely Thiago out, our options in the No.8 roles are Keita, Jones, and Ox (assuming that Milner starts at RB and Henderson starts at DM). Keita needs to be kept fit for Brentford so Ox and Jones are the logical selections.

Up front I wouldn't want to start Mane or Salah, and Firmino is injured still, so it picks itself really. This is a perfect opportunity to get Minamino and Origi some minutes. Jota got subbed at 75 against Palace and he'll probably be keen to get back on his bike quickly again after missing a sitter against Palace. Klopp did say that Gordon could get some gametime in the cups this season though so maybe he slots in at RW with Jota given a rest as well.

If Klopp wants to go with more youth we could see both Bradley and Gordon start, but it's not really like Klopp to debut two youngsters in positions adjacent to one another. Rather he tends to insulate young players by surrounding them with a veteran player or two in the vicinity. Maybe having Henderson/Milner and Ox in midfield would help somewhat though.
      « Last Edit: Sep 19, 2021 03:00:54 am by Richard88 »
      CT_LFC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,807 posts | 1402 
      Reply #3: Sep 19, 2021 03:19:14 am
      I believe it was Clarkson who looked really promising last year during a cup game. Hopefully he gets to play against Norwich.
      rossyred

• 9,280 posts | 1663 
      Reply #4: Sep 19, 2021 11:39:31 am
      I believe it was Clarkson who looked really promising last year during a cup game. Hopefully he gets to play against Norwich.

He will struggle as he is at Blackburn. No reason why Robbo and Trent can't have some minutes here but have to look at resting all the front 3 and Fab . Jones ,Milner and Keita midfield 3
      ed603em
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 733 posts | 113 
      Reply #5: Sep 19, 2021 11:45:30 am
      Kelleher will play because Allisson is relatively injury-prone and we need Kelleher to have some first-team experience as I don't think he's played in front of a proper crowd yet. I really don't care if we win this trophy - nowadays it is on a par with the pre-season trophies that we occasionally win, and it won't be around for too much longer - but I would like us to have a decent run so that we can give the younger players a decent run of games at first-team level.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,522 posts | 1768 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #6: Sep 19, 2021 11:54:19 am
      We enter the competition in the 3rd round along with the other qualifiers for European football. We've won this competition a record eight times, most recently in 2012. We reached the final in Jürgen's first season with us, and the semifinal the next, but went out in the 3rd or 4th round the subsequent years (save our U21 team losing in the quarterfinal vs. Villa the season we won the Club World Championship).

We've gone deep into the squad for the starting lineup in many of these games and the congested schedule this season likely invites a similar choice from Jürgen in this match. Among first team players we might see get the start on Tuesday are:

Caoimhin Kelleher
      Nat Phillips
      Alex Oxlaide-Chamberlin
      Curtis Jones
      Takumi Minamino
      Divock Origi

We might see a few U23 players at least on the bench as well, including Billy Koumetio, Conor Bradley, Jack Bearne and Kaide Gordon.

Or we could go strong and really try to win this competition, but I really doubt it. Man City have won the League Cup 4 seasons in a row.

Id love big Nat to get a start. Could be this, pretty good team, Big hitters on bench if needed.

If Taki is fit, he probably starts instead of wee Gordon.

---------------- Kelleher -------------------
      - Williams - Nat.P - Gomez - The Greek -
      ----------------- Milner (c) ----------------
      ---------- OX ---------- Jones -------------
      - Gordon -------- Jota ----- Origi ---------
      CT_LFC

• 6,807 posts | 1402 
      Reply #7: Sep 19, 2021 02:23:27 pm
      He will struggle as he is at Blackburn. No reason why Robbo and Trent can't have some minutes here but have to look at resting all the front 3 and Fab . Jones ,Milner and Keita midfield 3

Didn’t realize he was out on loan. Bummer. Do hope we sprinkle in one or 2 academy players.
      rossyred

• 9,280 posts | 1663 
      Reply #8: Sep 19, 2021 02:40:19 pm
      Didn’t realize he was out on loan. Bummer. Do hope we sprinkle in one or 2 academy players.

Gordon will be involved for sure
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #9: Sep 19, 2021 03:17:06 pm
      Kelleher

Gomez, Konate, Phillips, Kostas

Jones, Keita, Milner

Taki, Origi, Ox

Then would expect Gordon to make an appearance, possibly for Keita and Ox dropping back to midfield.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,218 posts | 4919 
      Reply #10: Sep 19, 2021 10:23:04 pm
      I would guess that the full lineup for Norwich will probably be something like this:

Kelleher
      Milner  Konate   Gomez   Tsimikas
                     Henderson
                 Ox            Jones
      Minamino     Jota             Origi

Kelleher is clearly the No.2 and will start if fit.

The CB pairing seems like an easy choice of Konate and Gomez, it seems like the logical choice as opined in the post above.

Not sure if Neco is fit or not, but if he's not then Milner probably slots in at RB again, though ideally he'd be playing DM just as in the season opener. If Trent is healthy he might start as he rested against Palace, but I'd hazard a guess that Klopp would rather save his legs to play 3 games against Brentford/Porto/Man City. Alternatively Bradley might get a game, as he probably earned an opportunity in preseason - and that would free up Milner to play at DM instead of Henderson.

At LB Tsimikas probably keeps his place. He got 2 consecutive games to start the season and get in a groove, and Klopp probably gives him another 2 consecutive games here. He also already has the experience of played well against Norwich. That means that Robertson gets some rest after playing a lot in the international break and against Leeds, and can play the 3 subsequent fixtures (Brentford/Porto/City).

If Milner plays RB then we'll need one of Fabinho or Henderson to play DM here, and the choice should be Henderson imo. Fabinho is the most important midfielder so shouldn't start in the cup. Ideally Milner would be freed up to play DM to rest Henderson too though.

With Elliott and likely Thiago out, our options in the No.8 roles are Keita, Jones, and Ox (assuming that Milner starts at RB and Henderson starts at DM). Keita needs to be kept fit for Brentford so Ox and Jones are the logical selections.

Up front I wouldn't want to start Mane or Salah, and Firmino is injured still, so it picks itself really. This is a perfect opportunity to get Minamino and Origi some minutes. Jota got subbed at 75 against Palace and he'll probably be keen to get back on his bike quickly again after missing a sitter against Palace. Klopp did say that Gordon could get some gametime in the cups this season though so maybe he slots in at RW with Jota given a rest as well.

If Klopp wants to go with more youth we could see both Bradley and Gordon start, but it's not really like Klopp to debut two youngsters in positions adjacent to one another. Rather he tends to insulate young players by surrounding them with a veteran player or two in the vicinity. Maybe having Henderson/Milner and Ox in midfield would help somewhat though.

Pretty much agree mate but I'd play Neco RB and Milner at 6.
      Richard88
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 399 posts | 145 
      Reply #11: Sep 19, 2021 10:24:10 pm
      Kaide Gordon and Connor Bradley were both left out of the U23's game against Leeds which suggests that they could be involved against Norwich.

If they both start that makes the rest of the team selection pretty straightforward:

Kelleher
      Bradley  Konate  Gomez   Tsimikas
                           Milner
                    Ox           Jones
        Gordon    Minamino      Origi
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,218 posts | 4919 
      Reply #12: Sep 19, 2021 10:26:21 pm
      Kaide Gordon and Connor Bradley were both left out of the U23's game against Leeds which suggests that they could be involved against Norwich.

If they both start that makes the rest of the team selection pretty straightforward:

Kelleher
      Bradley  Konate  Gomez   Tsimikas
                           Milner
                    Ox           Jones
        Gordon    Minamino      Origi

Could very well be the team.

Conor leaped above Neco do we think?
      Richard88
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 399 posts | 145 
      Reply #13: Sep 19, 2021 10:29:16 pm
      Kelleher

Gomez, Konate, Phillips, Kostas

Jones, Keita, Milner

Taki, Origi, Ox

Then would expect Gordon to make an appearance, possibly for Keita and Ox dropping back to midfield.
      With Elliott and Thiago injured Keita is firmly in our best midfield (with Fabinho and Henderson) so it would be really surprising to see him involved against Norwich. Best to rest him for the games against Brentford, Porto, and Man City.

Moreover, Ox and Jones need minutes as neither has featured prominently so far, and this game is the perfect opportunity to get them some gametime.
      Richard88
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 399 posts | 145 
      Reply #14: Sep 19, 2021 10:30:11 pm
      Could very well be the team.

Conor leaped above Neco do we think?
      Neco is injured apparently which is why I overlooked him. If he's fit presumably he would start this game ahead of Bradley or Milner at RB.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,218 posts | 4919 
      Reply #15: Sep 19, 2021 10:42:32 pm
      Neco is injured apparently which is why I overlooked him. If he's fit presumably he would start this game ahead of Bradley or Milner at RB.

Ah cheers mate. Didn't realise that.
      UncleBob
      • Spotify Bob
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,135 posts | 567 
      Reply #16: Sep 19, 2021 11:34:49 pm
      Who’s that left back we got who is some relation of Ian Rush. I think he played well pre season? Wonder if he will get minutes?

I always like these league cup games: chance to see what our youngsters are made of. If we win, great. If we lose, oh well.

Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #17: Sep 20, 2021 01:05:10 am
      Who’s that left back we got who is some relation of Ian Rush. I think he played well pre season? Wonder if he will get minutes?

I always like these league cup games: chance to see what our youngsters are made of. If we win, great. If we lose, oh well.

That is Owen Beck; 18 and just signed a full contract. He could be involved, but I think Tsimikas starts at left back.
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,688 posts | 3709 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #18: Sep 20, 2021 08:22:22 am
      NB: Team no longer available

I would play some fringe players and one youth.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,522 posts | 1768 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #19: Sep 20, 2021 08:43:29 am

Bugger didn't realize that. Klopp could use Gomez at RB for this game if Milner is rested or in MF.
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,620 posts | 3917 
      Reply #20: Sep 20, 2021 09:00:49 am
      NB: Team no longer available
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,522 posts | 1768 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #21: Sep 20, 2021 09:46:52 am

Could be the team, but think Gordon will be starting.
      Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #22: Sep 20, 2021 10:41:40 am
      Not too fussed with this one tbh.
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,214 posts | 915 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #23: Sep 20, 2021 11:36:16 am
      A cup is a cup and another game to watch
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,522 posts | 1768 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #24: Sep 20, 2021 12:11:21 pm
      Neco williams not quite ready to start apparently.
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,107 posts | 83 
      Reply #25: Sep 20, 2021 12:41:37 pm
      I hope Ox gets something going. I have a feeling we will still need him and right now he's very far away from we he was 2018.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,522 posts | 1768 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #26: Sep 20, 2021 12:44:51 pm
      I hope Ox gets something going. I have a feeling we will still need him and right now he's very far away from we he was 2018.

The longer he stays fit the better he will get.

This Cup game could be massive for his confidence.

David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,291 posts | 763 
      Reply #27: Sep 20, 2021 02:58:21 pm
      A chance to play some of the squad players, including Ox. A chance to keep everyone match fit, for the games coming up in the next couple of months, of a long season ahead.
      AlwaysTheKop
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,508 posts | 1475 
      • CHAMP19NS.
      Reply #28: Sep 20, 2021 03:08:56 pm
      The best thing about these cup games is the chance to see Pep Lijnders in the interviews... I just love the way he speaks about the game and players, I really hope when that fateful day comes we are lucky enough to still have him here to take over.

https://youtu.be/nhoP54KF9T0
      Richard88
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 399 posts | 145 
      Reply #29: Sep 20, 2021 03:44:56 pm
      A chance to play some of the squad players, including Ox. A chance to keep everyone match fit, for the games coming up in the next couple of months, of a long season ahead.
      Yep, agree. I never understood the idea of not caring at all about the cups. Yes they can be a slight distraction from bigger fixtures, but if you're only going to play your reserves anyways and have Pep Lijnders running it instead of Klopp there's hardly much impact in other fixtures. Quite the opposite in fact as it's a useful opportunity to give minutes to squad players to keep them match sharp and give debuts to youth players. The further we go in the League Cup the more opportunities there will be for the likes of Kelleher, Gomez, Konate, Tsimikas, Neco/Bradley, Jones, Ox, Minamino, Origi, and Gordon, most of whom won't get many starts in the PL unless there are injuries.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #30: Sep 20, 2021 03:49:58 pm
      Yep, agree. I never understood the idea of not caring at all about the cups. Yes they can be a slight distraction from bigger fixtures, but if you're only going to play your reserves anyways and have Pep Lijnders running it instead of Klopp there's hardly much impact in other fixtures. Quite the opposite in fact as it's a useful opportunity to give minutes to squad players to keep them match sharp and give debuts to youth players. The further we go in the League Cup the more opportunities there will be for the likes of Kelleher, Gomez, Konate, Tsimikas, Neco/Bradley, Jones, Ox, Minamino, Origi, and Gordon, most of whom won't get many starts in the PL unless there are injuries.

The domestic cups have been going downhill for a while now, the Carabao cup is a waste of time in all honesty, not even the lower league teams seem to care about progressing in it anymore. Saw Bournemouth near enough lined up with a complete reserve team this season. The money teams get for making it through the rounds and winning it just isn't worth it, teams would much rather focus on the league instead. In fact the bonuses players will get for making it through or winning the competition is probably higher than the prize money.

As for us, I couldn't care less about this competition, the way they treated us and expected us to play our tie whilst being in Qatar was a complete joke, they made no attempt at all to try and help us out so we would have a fair crack at the game. Was a complete piss take, which is probably why Klopp doesn't even bother doing the interviews for these games anymore.

This competition is on it's last legs, it wont be long until it's scrapped because financially it just isn't worth it and when you see teams from the lower leagues not even taking it seriously anymore, it just emphasises the point further.
      Richard88
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 399 posts | 145 
      Reply #31: Sep 20, 2021 04:41:17 pm
      The domestic cups have been going downhill for a while now, the Carabao cup is a waste of time in all honesty, not even the lower league teams seem to care about progressing in it anymore. Saw Bournemouth near enough lined up with a complete reserve team this season. The money teams get for making it through the rounds and winning it just isn't worth it, teams would much rather focus on the league instead. In fact the bonuses players will get for making it through or winning the competition is probably higher than the prize money.

As for us, I couldn't care less about this competition, the way they treated us and expected us to play our tie whilst being in Qatar was a complete joke, they made no attempt at all to try and help us out so we would have a fair crack at the game. Was a complete piss take, which is probably why Klopp doesn't even bother doing the interviews for these games anymore.

This competition is on it's last legs, it wont be long until it's scrapped because financially it just isn't worth it and when you see teams from the lower leagues not even taking it seriously anymore, it just emphasises the point further.
      I agree with you that the competition doesn't have the reputation that it used to. It is still an opportunity to watch LFC play, and I'd rather be in it and watch some extra games midweek than not, especially considering that we usually field 2-3 youngsters which is always fun to watch.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,203 posts | 2799 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #32: Sep 20, 2021 05:12:45 pm
      Kelleher

Joe
      Nat
      Konate
      Kostas

Jones
      Ox
      Milner

Tiki
      Origi
      Gordan
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,543 posts | 1666 
      • YNWA
      Reply #33: Sep 20, 2021 05:39:40 pm
      Kelleher

Joe
      Nat
      Konate
      Kostas

Jones
      Ox
      Milner

Tiki
      Origi
      Gordan

I'd probably go that too.
      Think Jürgen will look to rest anyone starting the coming weekend.
      Can still select a strong enough back 5, but starts to get a litttle bit more threadbare in the middle and up top.
      Would think Norwich would rest a few too, but not as many, this is probably one comp they can look to and think they could do with a Cup run in.
      CT_LFC

• 6,807 posts | 1402 
      Reply #34: Sep 20, 2021 05:58:11 pm
      Kelleher

Joe
      Nat
      Konate
      Kostas

Jones
      Ox
      Milner

Tiki
      Origi
      Gordan

My only concern is Milner since he played Sunday. Don’t want to risk him getting hurt too.
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,897 posts | 3394 
      Reply #35: Sep 20, 2021 07:16:21 pm
      Kelleher
      Bradley
      Konate
      Gomez
      Kostas

Milner
      Jones
      Ox

Taki
      Origi
      Jota

Richard88
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 399 posts | 145 
      Reply #36: Sep 20, 2021 07:46:58 pm
      On the one hand it makes sense to put Gomez at RB to protect Gordon a bit more if he starts, but Gomez isn't really that well suited to RB in a Klopp team given his limitations off the ball. He's also just coming back from a long time out, so having him bombing up and down the wing intensely probably isn't that great an idea.

CT_LFC

• 6,807 posts | 1402 
      Reply #37: Sep 21, 2021 02:43:36 am
      Pep said Kelleher and Jones will start. Look forward to seeing the rest of the team.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,934 posts | 4992 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #38: Sep 21, 2021 03:54:32 am

I kind of agree 7kk7, however, without actually admitting it I think Jürgen uses it to bleed the younger lads in and gives them a taste of what is expected, we seen how in ‘19’ we inadvertently fielded that youth side because of our commitment in Qatar, as it turned out it became quite a fillip in that regard, so whilst as a club we enter it each season it makes sense to then use it  to our advantage to integrate a few younger lads, shake the rust out of injury returnee’s, or simply to experiment with square pegs in round holes and see how it fares,

If we go out early no one really bats a eyelid, but if we progress further and further we can take it more seriously and at the same time offers more experience to those younger players, to me it’s a win win as far as the club is concerned and F**k what anyone else thinks, Liverpool FC enter competition’s in the hope that we eventually win them, we don’t enter any competition to deliberately lose irrespective of where said competition lies priority wise,

Anyhoo that said, I’d go with thus………

Kelleher
                                            Neco   Konate   Matip   Kostas
                                                           Gomez
                                                    Jones        Keita
                                                Gordon            Minamino
                                                             Origi

Bench: Adrian, Bradley, Milner, Oxlade, Phillips, Salah, Mane, Musialowski

Not sure if Neco is available tbh, might have to alter slightly and use young Connor instead , and I’d give Joe a go as the DM, I think he could do a decent enough job as a temporary Fabinho replacement, so he’s my square peg in a roundish hole, Curtis, Naby, Divock and Taki  all need pitch time and my golden nugget is Kaide Gordon, feel slightly sorry for the Ox, he needs pitch time too but on this occasion I want to see Jones & Naby in the engine room, like I mentioned above this is great opportunity to experiment and give one or two kids a taste of first team action but retain a bit of security off the bench.

Y  N  W  A
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,748 posts | 6720 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #39: Sep 21, 2021 05:14:18 am
      For the Aussies on here, game is tomorrow morning 4.45 am KO it's on BeIn Sports 3 thru Foxtel.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,629 posts | 6940 
      Reply #40: Sep 21, 2021 10:20:49 am
      Expect Nat Phillips and maybe Joe Gomez to start here.

Br interesting how seriously Norwich take it. Possible might even treat it less seriously than us given their league problems?
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,320 posts | 1524 
      Reply #41: Sep 21, 2021 10:41:41 am
      Maybe Ox needs to watch a few vids of himself and how he was performing before his horror knee injury.
      Might raise his performances when he get the opportunities.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,522 posts | 1768 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #42: Sep 21, 2021 11:01:28 am
      Might see Fab starting the game if Milner has to play at RB again.

Anyway not long now till we see what klopp does.

Looking forward to this one, going to get some beers to watch it. ;D
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,620 posts | 3917 
      Reply #43: Sep 21, 2021 11:57:49 am
       :roll:

Anyway not long now till we see what klopp does.

Looking forward to this one, going to get some beers to watch it. ;D

Surely we can start Gomez at right back, get him some minutes.

Philips and Konate in the middle sounds like a formidable partnership
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,620 posts | 3917 
      Reply #44: Sep 21, 2021 11:58:24 am
      Maybe Ox needs to watch a few vids of himself and how he was performing before his horror knee injury.
      Might raise his performances when he get the opportunities.

I always go to those City champions league games - he was immense
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,522 posts | 1768 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #45: Sep 21, 2021 12:16:37 pm
      :roll:
      Surely we can start Gomez at right back, get him some minutes.

Philips and Konate in the middle sounds like a formidable partnership

That was my thinking too. but seen various media\twitter outlets suggesting Fab would be starting and Milner at RB. 
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #46: Sep 21, 2021 12:26:06 pm

No chance mate.
      Don77

• 6,527 posts | 1083 
      Reply #47: Sep 21, 2021 12:28:55 pm
      https://team-picker.files.bbci.co.uk/liverpool-starting-xi-

Kellerher

Bradley          konate               Gomez         Tsimakis

Jones         Milner       Chamberlain

Minamino            Origi                Gordon

Decent first 11. No need to risk any of our first team and it would be totally stupid to do so. Norwich will be making changes too.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,522 posts | 1768 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #48: Sep 21, 2021 12:54:09 pm

I agree, but like I said above just seen various places talking about him playing as Milner might be RB. ??

Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #49: Sep 21, 2021 12:56:25 pm
      https://team-picker.files.bbci.co.uk/liverpool-starting-xi-

Kellerher

Bradley          konate               Gomez         Tsimakis

Jones         Milner       Chamberlain

Minamino            Origi                Gordon

Decent first 11. No need to risk any of our first team and it would be totally stupid to do so. Norwich will be making changes too.

I think Gordon and Taki wound switch, and then the question of Phillips playing but this is close.

The challenge for this team tonight will come in midfield. I could see this side revert to a lot of long balls as the game goes on. But hopefully they put in a performance.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #50: Sep 21, 2021 01:16:22 pm
      I think Gordon and Taki wound switch, and then the question of Phillips playing but this is close.

Not sure we’d have Bradley and Gordon both starting on the right, that makes an incredibly inexperienced side that could get exposed, even against Norwich. If the youngsters are playing, then I’d have thought we’d want to set the team up that gives them the best chance to have a good game, going for that, if they get taken apart then it’s going to shatter their confidence. So if both are to start I’d expect to see Gordon from the left.
      Richard88
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 399 posts | 145 
      Reply #51: Sep 21, 2021 01:52:48 pm
      Not sure we’d have Bradley and Gordon both starting on the right, that makes an incredibly inexperienced side that could get exposed, even against Norwich. If the youngsters are playing, then I’d have thought we’d want to set the team up that gives them the best chance to have a good game, going for that, if they get taken apart then it’s going to shatter their confidence. So if both are to start I’d expect to see Gordon from the left.
      That's a valid point.

I had a look at transfermarkt to see how much experience he has at LW to see if it's a viable option.

He's played 19 games in his career so far, which includes 14 games at RW and only 2 at LW. He played 90 minutes at LW for our U18's against Leeds U18's on 4/10/21 and scored twice in a 6-1 win. Last year on 10/24/20 he played for Derby against United U18 in a 4-0 loss.

Safe to say that he obviously prefers to play off the right given how much more often he plays there. The two games at LW do suggest that he can swap if necessary though.

As you mentioned 7kk7 Gordon would probably have more protection at LW with Tsimikas behind him and Jones inside at LCM, than he would have at RW with Bradley behind him and Ox at RCM.

That said, looking purely at our front 3 options, which ideally would be Gordon/Minamino/Origi in some fashion, Gordon is the only one of the 3 that prefers to play on the right. Minamino prefers playing centrally, and Origi either plays on the left or up front. That being the case it wouldn't be entirely surprising if Klopp overrules his protection idea with Gordon and simply slots him in at RW to allow Origi and Minamino to play in their natural positions instead of shoe-horning Minamino onto the wing for example.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #52: Sep 21, 2021 02:00:57 pm
      That's a valid point.

I had a look at transfermarkt to see how much experience he has at LW to see if it's a viable option.

He's played 19 games in his career so far, which includes 14 games at RW and only 2 at LW. He played 90 minutes at LW for our U18's against Leeds U18's on 4/10/21 and scored twice in a 6-1 win. Last year on 10/24/20 he played for Derby against United U18 in a 4-0 loss.

Safe to say that he obviously prefers to play off the right given how much more often he plays there. The two games at LW do suggest that he can swap if necessary though.

As you mentioned 7kk7 Gordon would probably have more protection at LW with Tsimikas behind him and Jones inside at LCM, than he would have at RW with Bradley behind him and Ox at RCM.

That said, looking purely at our front 3 options, which ideally would be Gordon/Minamino/Origi in some fashion, Gordon is the only one of the 3 that prefers to play on the right. Minamino prefers playing centrally, and Origi either plays on the left or up front. That being the case it wouldn't be entirely surprising if Klopp overrules his protection idea with Gordon and simply slots him in at RW to allow Origi and Minamino to play in their natural positions instead of shoe-horning Minamino onto the wing for example.

Personally I don't expect either of them to start (Bradley or Gordon). It's more important we get minutes from Gomez and Konate at the moment than it is to give a rare bit of gametime to Bradley and at the same time I think it's 100% certain Phillips will play. So I'm still thinking it will be Gomez at RB with Konate and Phillips at CB.
      Richard88
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 399 posts | 145 
      Reply #53: Sep 21, 2021 02:34:21 pm
      Personally I don't expect either of them to start (Bradley or Gordon). It's more important we get minutes from Gomez and Konate at the moment than it is to give a rare bit of gametime to Bradley and at the same time I think it's 100% certain Phillips will play. So I'm still thinking it will be Gomez at RB with Konate and Phillips at CB.
      You're right, it is more important to give minutes to Gomez and Konate than youth players. However, I would go a step further and say that it's also important that those minutes for Gomez and Konate come as a CB pair, rather than having Gomez at RB.

Looking at our fixtures it seems apparent that Klopp has been rotating his CB's in the last couple of games in order to have his best CB pairing available in the PL games. Getting Konate and Gomez accustomed to each other against Norwich would be useful ahead of the Porto game where they could be the starting CB pairing:

Norwich: Konate / Gomez
      Brentford: Van Dijk / Matip
      Porto: Konate / Gomez
      Man City: Van Dijk / Matip

That rotation of course means that Phillips wouldn't get a game, but I think winning games and getting a Konate/Gomez partnership going is more important than giving minutes to our 5th choice CB. There will be opportunities for Phillips later in the season (eg. Dec/Jan time), but this early in the season I'd rather see minutes at CB given to Konate and Gomez to help Konate settle and get Gomez up and running again after a long time out.

I also think the team would benefit more from a RB who suits our attacking style, rather than shoe-horning Gomez in at RB. Keep in mind that Norwich are likely to field younger players too, as they did in the previous round against Bournemouth where Tzolis (19) and Brandon Williams (21) where their LW and LB respectively. Thus, in terms of experience our lads wouldn't be that far off.

Lastly, I think a strong case can be made that a CB partnership of Konate/Gomez and Milner at DM would be stronger protection - for the whole team, than with Phillips at CB. Phillips is a battler and wins many headers, but he's limited when playing a high line and winning races when balls are played of the top - both of which Konate and Gomez are very good at.

At this point in time I think this is what we'll see tonight:

Kelleher
      Bradley  Gomez  Konate  Tsimikas
                         Milner
                   Ox            Jones
         Gordon    Minamino    Origi

Fwiw, bear in mind that in last years league cup our lineups were as follows:

Lincoln away (7-2 win):

Adrian
      Neco  Rhys    Van Dijk   Tsimikas
                     Grujic
              Jones      Shaqiri
       Elliott     Minamino     Origi

Arsenal 0-0 (4-5 pens):

Adrian
      Neco  Rhys  Van Dijk  Milner
                   Grujic
              Jones      Wilson
      Salah   Minamino    Jota

Looking at those lineups it's apparent that Klopp likes to include about 3-4 younger players in these sorts of games. In my proposed lineup we would have Kelleher, Jones, Bradley, and Gordon, which seems to be in line with the aforementioned League Cup lineups (though Kelleher and Jones are considered seniors by now technically).

Klopp also wasn't afraid to play Neco, Rhys, Jones, and Elliott all on the same side of the pitch, albeit in an easier fixture against Lincoln. Against Arsenal we also had Rhys, Neco, and Jones on the right side though, so it doesn't seem outlandish that Klopp would fancy going with both Bradley and Gordon here - especially with some experience at CB and in CM (Ox, Milner).

Klopp clearly also likes having Minamino playing centrally in these games rather than out wide. Which means that Origi would play at LW, leaving only RW for Gordon. 

Quick Reply