Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

Pre match: Norwich City v Liverpool, EFL Cup (A) : Tues 21st Sep 7:45 pm

Read 4917 times
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,111 posts | 896 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Re: Pre match: Norwich City v Liverpool, EFL Cup (A) : Tues 21st Sep 7:45 pm
      Reply #23: Sep 20, 2021 11:36:16 am
      A cup is a cup and another game to watch
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,459 posts | 1736 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #24: Sep 20, 2021 12:11:21 pm
      Neco williams not quite ready to start apparently.
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,054 posts | 82 
      Reply #25: Sep 20, 2021 12:41:37 pm
      I hope Ox gets something going. I have a feeling we will still need him and right now he's very far away from we he was 2018.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,459 posts | 1736 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #26: Sep 20, 2021 12:44:51 pm
      I hope Ox gets something going. I have a feeling we will still need him and right now he's very far away from we he was 2018.

The longer he stays fit the better he will get.

This Cup game could be massive for his confidence.

David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,237 posts | 752 
      Reply #27: Sep 20, 2021 02:58:21 pm
      A chance to play some of the squad players, including Ox. A chance to keep everyone match fit, for the games coming up in the next couple of months, of a long season ahead.
      AlwaysTheKop
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,208 posts | 1418 
      • CHAMP19NS.
      Reply #28: Sep 20, 2021 03:08:56 pm
      The best thing about these cup games is the chance to see Pep Lijnders in the interviews... I just love the way he speaks about the game and players, I really hope when that fateful day comes we are lucky enough to still have him here to take over.

https://youtu.be/nhoP54KF9T0
      Richard88
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 399 posts | 145 
      • John 3:16
      Reply #29: Sep 20, 2021 03:44:56 pm
      A chance to play some of the squad players, including Ox. A chance to keep everyone match fit, for the games coming up in the next couple of months, of a long season ahead.
      Yep, agree. I never understood the idea of not caring at all about the cups. Yes they can be a slight distraction from bigger fixtures, but if you're only going to play your reserves anyways and have Pep Lijnders running it instead of Klopp there's hardly much impact in other fixtures. Quite the opposite in fact as it's a useful opportunity to give minutes to squad players to keep them match sharp and give debuts to youth players. The further we go in the League Cup the more opportunities there will be for the likes of Kelleher, Gomez, Konate, Tsimikas, Neco/Bradley, Jones, Ox, Minamino, Origi, and Gordon, most of whom won't get many starts in the PL unless there are injuries.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #30: Sep 20, 2021 03:49:58 pm
      Yep, agree. I never understood the idea of not caring at all about the cups. Yes they can be a slight distraction from bigger fixtures, but if you're only going to play your reserves anyways and have Pep Lijnders running it instead of Klopp there's hardly much impact in other fixtures. Quite the opposite in fact as it's a useful opportunity to give minutes to squad players to keep them match sharp and give debuts to youth players. The further we go in the League Cup the more opportunities there will be for the likes of Kelleher, Gomez, Konate, Tsimikas, Neco/Bradley, Jones, Ox, Minamino, Origi, and Gordon, most of whom won't get many starts in the PL unless there are injuries.

The domestic cups have been going downhill for a while now, the Carabao cup is a waste of time in all honesty, not even the lower league teams seem to care about progressing in it anymore. Saw Bournemouth near enough lined up with a complete reserve team this season. The money teams get for making it through the rounds and winning it just isn't worth it, teams would much rather focus on the league instead. In fact the bonuses players will get for making it through or winning the competition is probably higher than the prize money.

As for us, I couldn't care less about this competition, the way they treated us and expected us to play our tie whilst being in Qatar was a complete joke, they made no attempt at all to try and help us out so we would have a fair crack at the game. Was a complete piss take, which is probably why Klopp doesn't even bother doing the interviews for these games anymore.

This competition is on it's last legs, it wont be long until it's scrapped because financially it just isn't worth it and when you see teams from the lower leagues not even taking it seriously anymore, it just emphasises the point further.
      Richard88
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 399 posts | 145 
      Reply #31: Sep 20, 2021 04:41:17 pm
      The domestic cups have been going downhill for a while now, the Carabao cup is a waste of time in all honesty, not even the lower league teams seem to care about progressing in it anymore. Saw Bournemouth near enough lined up with a complete reserve team this season. The money teams get for making it through the rounds and winning it just isn't worth it, teams would much rather focus on the league instead. In fact the bonuses players will get for making it through or winning the competition is probably higher than the prize money.

As for us, I couldn't care less about this competition, the way they treated us and expected us to play our tie whilst being in Qatar was a complete joke, they made no attempt at all to try and help us out so we would have a fair crack at the game. Was a complete piss take, which is probably why Klopp doesn't even bother doing the interviews for these games anymore.

This competition is on it's last legs, it wont be long until it's scrapped because financially it just isn't worth it and when you see teams from the lower leagues not even taking it seriously anymore, it just emphasises the point further.
      I agree with you that the competition doesn't have the reputation that it used to. It is still an opportunity to watch LFC play, and I'd rather be in it and watch some extra games midweek than not, especially considering that we usually field 2-3 youngsters which is always fun to watch.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #32: Sep 20, 2021 05:12:45 pm
      Kelleher

Joe
      Nat
      Konate
      Kostas

Jones
      Ox
      Milner

Tiki
      Origi
      Gordan
      bmck
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,404 posts | 1611 
      • YNWA
      Reply #33: Sep 20, 2021 05:39:40 pm
      Kelleher

Joe
      Nat
      Konate
      Kostas

Jones
      Ox
      Milner

Tiki
      Origi
      Gordan

I'd probably go that too.
      Think Jürgen will look to rest anyone starting the coming weekend.
      Can still select a strong enough back 5, but starts to get a litttle bit more threadbare in the middle and up top.
      Would think Norwich would rest a few too, but not as many, this is probably one comp they can look to and think they could do with a Cup run in.
      CT_LFC

• 6,782 posts | 1395 
      Reply #34: Sep 20, 2021 05:58:11 pm
      Kelleher

Joe
      Nat
      Konate
      Kostas

Jones
      Ox
      Milner

Tiki
      Origi
      Gordan

My only concern is Milner since he played Sunday. Don’t want to risk him getting hurt too.
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,484 posts | 3286 
      Reply #35: Sep 20, 2021 07:16:21 pm
      Kelleher
      Bradley
      Konate
      Gomez
      Kostas

Milner
      Jones
      Ox

Taki
      Origi
      Jota

Richard88
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 399 posts | 145 
      Reply #36: Sep 20, 2021 07:46:58 pm
      On the one hand it makes sense to put Gomez at RB to protect Gordon a bit more if he starts, but Gomez isn't really that well suited to RB in a Klopp team given his limitations off the ball. He's also just coming back from a long time out, so having him bombing up and down the wing intensely probably isn't that great an idea.

CT_LFC

• 6,782 posts | 1395 
      Reply #37: Sep 21, 2021 02:43:36 am
      Pep said Kelleher and Jones will start. Look forward to seeing the rest of the team.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,824 posts | 4921 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #38: Sep 21, 2021 03:54:32 am

I kind of agree 7kk7, however, without actually admitting it I think Jürgen uses it to bleed the younger lads in and gives them a taste of what is expected, we seen how in ‘19’ we inadvertently fielded that youth side because of our commitment in Qatar, as it turned out it became quite a fillip in that regard, so whilst as a club we enter it each season it makes sense to then use it  to our advantage to integrate a few younger lads, shake the rust out of injury returnee’s, or simply to experiment with square pegs in round holes and see how it fares,

If we go out early no one really bats a eyelid, but if we progress further and further we can take it more seriously and at the same time offers more experience to those younger players, to me it’s a win win as far as the club is concerned and F**k what anyone else thinks, Liverpool FC enter competition’s in the hope that we eventually win them, we don’t enter any competition to deliberately lose irrespective of where said competition lies priority wise,

Anyhoo that said, I’d go with thus………

Kelleher
                                            Neco   Konate   Matip   Kostas
                                                           Gomez
                                                    Jones        Keita
                                                Gordon            Minamino
                                                             Origi

Bench: Adrian, Bradley, Milner, Oxlade, Phillips, Salah, Mane, Musialowski

Not sure if Neco is available tbh, might have to alter slightly and use young Connor instead , and I’d give Joe a go as the DM, I think he could do a decent enough job as a temporary Fabinho replacement, so he’s my square peg in a roundish hole, Curtis, Naby, Divock and Taki  all need pitch time and my golden nugget is Kaide Gordon, feel slightly sorry for the Ox, he needs pitch time too but on this occasion I want to see Jones & Naby in the engine room, like I mentioned above this is great opportunity to experiment and give one or two kids a taste of first team action but retain a bit of security off the bench.

Y  N  W  A
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,583 posts | 6643 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #39: Sep 21, 2021 05:14:18 am
      For the Aussies on here, game is tomorrow morning 4.45 am KO it's on BeIn Sports 3 thru Foxtel.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,531 posts | 6887 
      Reply #40: Sep 21, 2021 10:20:49 am
      Expect Nat Phillips and maybe Joe Gomez to start here.

Br interesting how seriously Norwich take it. Possible might even treat it less seriously than us given their league problems?
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,208 posts | 1503 
      Reply #41: Sep 21, 2021 10:41:41 am
      Maybe Ox needs to watch a few vids of himself and how he was performing before his horror knee injury.
      Might raise his performances when he get the opportunities.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,459 posts | 1736 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #42: Sep 21, 2021 11:01:28 am
      Might see Fab starting the game if Milner has to play at RB again.

Anyway not long now till we see what klopp does.

Looking forward to this one, going to get some beers to watch it. ;D
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,300 posts | 3869 
      Reply #43: Sep 21, 2021 11:57:49 am
       :roll:
      Might see Fab starting the game if Milner has to play at RB again.

Anyway not long now till we see what klopp does.

Looking forward to this one, going to get some beers to watch it. ;D

Surely we can start Gomez at right back, get him some minutes.

Philips and Konate in the middle sounds like a formidable partnership
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,300 posts | 3869 
      Reply #44: Sep 21, 2021 11:58:24 am
      Maybe Ox needs to watch a few vids of himself and how he was performing before his horror knee injury.
      Might raise his performances when he get the opportunities.

I always go to those City champions league games - he was immense
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,459 posts | 1736 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #45: Sep 21, 2021 12:16:37 pm
      :roll:
      Surely we can start Gomez at right back, get him some minutes.

Philips and Konate in the middle sounds like a formidable partnership

That was my thinking too. but seen various media\twitter outlets suggesting Fab would be starting and Milner at RB. 

Quick Reply