Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Pre match: Norwich City v Liverpool, EFL Cup (A) : Tues 21st Sep 7:45 pm

Read 4910 times
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Re: Pre match: Norwich City v Liverpool, EFL Cup (A) : Tues 21st Sep 7:45 pm
      Reply #46: Sep 21, 2021 12:26:06 pm
      Might see Fab starting the game if Milner has to play at RB again.

No chance mate.
      Don77
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,326 posts | 1036 
      Reply #47: Sep 21, 2021 12:28:55 pm
      https://team-picker.files.bbci.co.uk/liverpool-starting-xi-

Kellerher

Bradley          konate               Gomez         Tsimakis

Jones         Milner       Chamberlain

Minamino            Origi                Gordon

Decent first 11. No need to risk any of our first team and it would be totally stupid to do so. Norwich will be making changes too.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,452 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #48: Sep 21, 2021 12:54:09 pm

I agree, but like I said above just seen various places talking about him playing as Milner might be RB. ??

Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #49: Sep 21, 2021 12:56:25 pm
      https://team-picker.files.bbci.co.uk/liverpool-starting-xi-

Kellerher

Bradley          konate               Gomez         Tsimakis

Jones         Milner       Chamberlain

Minamino            Origi                Gordon

Decent first 11. No need to risk any of our first team and it would be totally stupid to do so. Norwich will be making changes too.

I think Gordon and Taki wound switch, and then the question of Phillips playing but this is close.

The challenge for this team tonight will come in midfield. I could see this side revert to a lot of long balls as the game goes on. But hopefully they put in a performance.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #50: Sep 21, 2021 01:16:22 pm
      I think Gordon and Taki wound switch, and then the question of Phillips playing but this is close.

Not sure we’d have Bradley and Gordon both starting on the right, that makes an incredibly inexperienced side that could get exposed, even against Norwich. If the youngsters are playing, then I’d have thought we’d want to set the team up that gives them the best chance to have a good game, going for that, if they get taken apart then it’s going to shatter their confidence. So if both are to start I’d expect to see Gordon from the left.
      Richard88
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 399 posts | 145 
      • John 3:16
      Reply #51: Sep 21, 2021 01:52:48 pm
      Not sure we’d have Bradley and Gordon both starting on the right, that makes an incredibly inexperienced side that could get exposed, even against Norwich. If the youngsters are playing, then I’d have thought we’d want to set the team up that gives them the best chance to have a good game, going for that, if they get taken apart then it’s going to shatter their confidence. So if both are to start I’d expect to see Gordon from the left.
      That's a valid point.

I had a look at transfermarkt to see how much experience he has at LW to see if it's a viable option.

He's played 19 games in his career so far, which includes 14 games at RW and only 2 at LW. He played 90 minutes at LW for our U18's against Leeds U18's on 4/10/21 and scored twice in a 6-1 win. Last year on 10/24/20 he played for Derby against United U18 in a 4-0 loss.

Safe to say that he obviously prefers to play off the right given how much more often he plays there. The two games at LW do suggest that he can swap if necessary though.

As you mentioned 7kk7 Gordon would probably have more protection at LW with Tsimikas behind him and Jones inside at LCM, than he would have at RW with Bradley behind him and Ox at RCM.

That said, looking purely at our front 3 options, which ideally would be Gordon/Minamino/Origi in some fashion, Gordon is the only one of the 3 that prefers to play on the right. Minamino prefers playing centrally, and Origi either plays on the left or up front. That being the case it wouldn't be entirely surprising if Klopp overrules his protection idea with Gordon and simply slots him in at RW to allow Origi and Minamino to play in their natural positions instead of shoe-horning Minamino onto the wing for example.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #52: Sep 21, 2021 02:00:57 pm
      That's a valid point.

I had a look at transfermarkt to see how much experience he has at LW to see if it's a viable option.

He's played 19 games in his career so far, which includes 14 games at RW and only 2 at LW. He played 90 minutes at LW for our U18's against Leeds U18's on 4/10/21 and scored twice in a 6-1 win. Last year on 10/24/20 he played for Derby against United U18 in a 4-0 loss.

Safe to say that he obviously prefers to play off the right given how much more often he plays there. The two games at LW do suggest that he can swap if necessary though.

As you mentioned 7kk7 Gordon would probably have more protection at LW with Tsimikas behind him and Jones inside at LCM, than he would have at RW with Bradley behind him and Ox at RCM.

That said, looking purely at our front 3 options, which ideally would be Gordon/Minamino/Origi in some fashion, Gordon is the only one of the 3 that prefers to play on the right. Minamino prefers playing centrally, and Origi either plays on the left or up front. That being the case it wouldn't be entirely surprising if Klopp overrules his protection idea with Gordon and simply slots him in at RW to allow Origi and Minamino to play in their natural positions instead of shoe-horning Minamino onto the wing for example.

Personally I don't expect either of them to start (Bradley or Gordon). It's more important we get minutes from Gomez and Konate at the moment than it is to give a rare bit of gametime to Bradley and at the same time I think it's 100% certain Phillips will play. So I'm still thinking it will be Gomez at RB with Konate and Phillips at CB.
      Richard88
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 399 posts | 145 
      • John 3:16
      Reply #53: Sep 21, 2021 02:34:21 pm
      Personally I don't expect either of them to start (Bradley or Gordon). It's more important we get minutes from Gomez and Konate at the moment than it is to give a rare bit of gametime to Bradley and at the same time I think it's 100% certain Phillips will play. So I'm still thinking it will be Gomez at RB with Konate and Phillips at CB.
      You're right, it is more important to give minutes to Gomez and Konate than youth players. However, I would go a step further and say that it's also important that those minutes for Gomez and Konate come as a CB pair, rather than having Gomez at RB.

Looking at our fixtures it seems apparent that Klopp has been rotating his CB's in the last couple of games in order to have his best CB pairing available in the PL games. Getting Konate and Gomez accustomed to each other against Norwich would be useful ahead of the Porto game where they could be the starting CB pairing:

Norwich: Konate / Gomez
      Brentford: Van Dijk / Matip
      Porto: Konate / Gomez
      Man City: Van Dijk / Matip

That rotation of course means that Phillips wouldn't get a game, but I think winning games and getting a Konate/Gomez partnership going is more important than giving minutes to our 5th choice CB. There will be opportunities for Phillips later in the season (eg. Dec/Jan time), but this early in the season I'd rather see minutes at CB given to Konate and Gomez to help Konate settle and get Gomez up and running again after a long time out.

I also think the team would benefit more from a RB who suits our attacking style, rather than shoe-horning Gomez in at RB. Keep in mind that Norwich are likely to field younger players too, as they did in the previous round against Bournemouth where Tzolis (19) and Brandon Williams (21) where their LW and LB respectively. Thus, in terms of experience our lads wouldn't be that far off.

Lastly, I think a strong case can be made that a CB partnership of Konate/Gomez and Milner at DM would be stronger protection - for the whole team, than with Phillips at CB. Phillips is a battler and wins many headers, but he's limited when playing a high line and winning races when balls are played of the top - both of which Konate and Gomez are very good at.

At this point in time I think this is what we'll see tonight:

Kelleher
      Bradley  Gomez  Konate  Tsimikas
                         Milner
                   Ox            Jones
         Gordon    Minamino    Origi

Fwiw, bear in mind that in last years league cup our lineups were as follows:

Lincoln away (7-2 win):

Adrian
      Neco  Rhys    Van Dijk   Tsimikas
                     Grujic
              Jones      Shaqiri
       Elliott     Minamino     Origi

Arsenal 0-0 (4-5 pens):

Adrian
      Neco  Rhys  Van Dijk  Milner
                   Grujic
              Jones      Wilson
      Salah   Minamino    Jota

Looking at those lineups it's apparent that Klopp likes to include about 3-4 younger players in these sorts of games. In my proposed lineup we would have Kelleher, Jones, Bradley, and Gordon, which seems to be in line with the aforementioned League Cup lineups (though Kelleher and Jones are considered seniors by now technically).

Klopp also wasn't afraid to play Neco, Rhys, Jones, and Elliott all on the same side of the pitch, albeit in an easier fixture against Lincoln. Against Arsenal we also had Rhys, Neco, and Jones on the right side though, so it doesn't seem outlandish that Klopp would fancy going with both Bradley and Gordon here - especially with some experience at CB and in CM (Ox, Milner).

Klopp clearly also likes having Minamino playing centrally in these games rather than out wide. Which means that Origi would play at LW, leaving only RW for Gordon. 

Quick Reply