Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P27 W14 D8 L5

The Goal That Best Represents What Liverpool Means To You

Read 3478 times
      lester76
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 4,810 posts | 242 
      The Goal That Best Represents What Liverpool Means To You
      Nov 29, 2007 12:12:48 am
      So for the millionth time I watched 501  Great Liverpool Goal's and was put in that special place that only the Redmen can do by the sublime skills of John Barnes against QPR, Macca's dribbling against Celtic, Whelan's beautiful curler against United in the milk cup, Rush's volley against Everon in the 86 cup final and of course Gerrards Olympiakos screamer......BUT the goal that gets my loins all warm and my pride bursting is....

John Aldridge against Arsenel at Anfield 87/88 season....Nicol attacks on the left and feeds Digger who goes deep into the box and knocks it back to houghton who misses the opportunity.
      Steve McMahon takes a shot that Tony Adams scrambles away, trying to clear the danger. McMahon chases, his lungs bursting not wanting to let the Arse out of the pressure cooker. He manages to just keep the ball in play as his momentum sends him into the stands.

Somehow he gets himself up and flings himself back onto the pitch to bamboozle the oncoming fullback and feeds a ball through 4 Arsenel players to find Beardsley who lays a ball across the goal that Lukic barely gets a hand to before John Aldridge slides in for a truely fantastic TEAM goal.

That to me had everything I love about Liverpool. Determination, creativity, 'Never say die' attitude, teamwork, and that certain magic that can't be explained or manufactured....it can only be created by playing for a purpose more important than youself...Liverpool FC.

Forgive me for my long discription but what is your example that best sums up what this magic club means to you?
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,654 posts | 6948 
      Re: The Goal That Best Represents What Liverpool Means To You
      Reply #1: Nov 29, 2007 12:14:45 am
      For some reason the 1986 Chelsea game at Stamford Bridge when the cross came over to the player-manager Dalglish and he chested it before volleying it in to the net to win us the game, and the league in his first season in charge.

Talk about Roy of the Rovers stuff!

Chelsea v Liverpool, May 3 1986: Chelsea: Godden, Wood, Miller (McAllister, 81), Rougvie, McLaughlin, Jones, Nevin, Spackman, Dixon, Speedie, Cannonville. Liverpool: Grobbelaar, Gillespie, Beglin, Nicol, Hansen, Lawrenson, Whelan, Dalglish, Johnston, Rush, MacDonald.
      « Last Edit: Nov 29, 2007 12:18:34 am by JD »
      lester76
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 4,810 posts | 242 
      Reply #2: Nov 29, 2007 12:20:00 am
      Totally right....was really into reading 'Football' comic back then and King Kenny picking himself for the big game and that photo after of him in the dressing room with his shin pads and crap all strewn around him with this big grin of satisfaction is as close to Roy of the Rovers as you can get.....GREAT EXAMPLE!!

PS....still got a bunch of them comics in my bathroom and never get bored of reading about Kit Carson the scout uncovering gems who went down the route of Georgie Best...classic bog reading material!!
      LazyFingers
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 892 posts | 22 
      Reply #3: Nov 29, 2007 12:24:50 am
      Liverpool V United in December 2000 I think, Danny Murphy free kick, we won one nil on my birthday!
      CRK
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,604 posts | 361 
      • JFT96 YNWA
      Reply #4: Nov 29, 2007 12:26:38 am
      For some reason the 1986 Chelsea game at Stamford Bridge when the cross came over to the player-manager Dalglish and he chested it before volleying it in to the net to win us the game, and the league in his first season in charge.

Watched that match on ESPN recently actually! It made me smile to know that we won the league at that sh*t hole! :)

For matches I've witnessed in my older days, as my youth is quite a blur, the goal that represents Liverpool to me is probably Gerrard's goal against Olympiakos! I know it's very recent and I remember the days before that but when I watch Liverpool, that goal sticks out as a moment of emotion!

I remember going crazy when it went in! It sums up our general approach to things now, usually defying odds to win games! Sums up Rafa's part in our climb to being a genuine force in Europe and now the Premier League! :)
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #5: Nov 29, 2007 01:39:53 am
      Such an impossible thread. But I love it!!

The Aldridge one you mention Lester is one of my favourite goals ever. You described it perfectly.

There's another two off the top off my head that stand out - one of which JD has already mentioned, hence King Kenny in my sig  ;)

The other is Rush in the FA Cup final v Everton - his second and our last. Skill, vision, speed and domination. Whelan to Johnston, Johnston to Rush, Rush to Molby, Molby plays one of the best balls to Whelan ever, to play Whelan into acres of space and in turn Whelan plays a beauty of a ball to Rush to switch play as Dalglish is running past Whelan. Rush plants the ball in the corner of the net knocking a camera over in the process. Brilliant. Not even the media was safe when Rush was scoring goals! Loved the commentary when he scored that...
      That's another one! And that will make it safe for Liverpool. And that will mean without any doubt at all now that the league and cup double, will be theirs!!!  ;D

Mimms deflated, Liverpool elated..... :D
      KoPiTee
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 911 posts | 19 
      Reply #6: Nov 29, 2007 03:25:44 am
      Neil Rudducks equalizer against the Mancs in that thrilling 3-3 game

We were 3 down after 20 mins and refused to give up
      Razer about knocked him self out heading in our 3rd goal

But the attitude of the players in that game sums us up in our never say die attitude
      berrypool
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 328 posts |
      • L.A. for LFC
      Reply #7: Nov 29, 2007 04:47:10 am
      one good one that gives me goosebumps is mellors v. arsenal. full of passion and I love that A guy like him got it, not a legend but wonderful for a guy to sink em like that.  Can't be my favorite but thought it was worth a mention.

berrypool
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 328 posts |
      • L.A. for LFC
      Reply #8: Nov 29, 2007 04:52:50 am
      Wait! I have to say I can watch Gerrards Header in istanbul over and over not only because it is such a glorious rise and Clinical little flick of the head, but it represents NEVER SAY NEVER attitude.  I always think of that goal whenever I am playing and find myself down a few goals and feeling like the game is done.  It is the definition of inspiration.

The Fallen Soldier
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,137 posts | 89 
      Reply #9: Nov 29, 2007 08:38:41 am
      For me it will always be the Gerrard goal in the cup final when we were 3-2 down, he was cramped up and in agony and the hammers thought they had won it, when it sat up nicely for him and he hit it as hard as he could and it flew in, awesome goal.
      Venom-C
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 806 posts |
      Reply #10: Nov 29, 2007 08:58:45 am
      For me it will always be the Gerrard goal in the cup final when we were 3-2 down, he was cramped up and in agony and the hammers thought they had won it, when it sat up nicely for him and he hit it as hard as he could and it flew in, awesome goal.

Thats my choice too.

If I recall correctley, the commentator shouted afterwards, "I told you! I told you! Dont write them off!".......................s ays so little and yet so much.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,751 posts | 6722 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #11: Nov 29, 2007 09:06:36 am
      So for the millionth time I watched 501  Great Liverpool Goal's

lester is that a DVD?? and if so is that The Title of it?? Would love to get my hands on a copy...I'll check out ebay because it's deffo not gonna be in any of our stores down here.
      kelv78
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,913 posts | 14 
      Reply #12: Nov 29, 2007 09:38:45 am
      Theres so many to chose from but id go for Gerrards v Olmpiakos we were down and out at half time i remember smashing a beer bottle in my back garden in frustration then we turned it round.
      aw1
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,303 posts | 22 
      Reply #13: Nov 29, 2007 02:02:36 pm
      For me its gerrard's goal in the Cl final because of the spirit ,desire,belief, passion and heart he showed even in adverse situations.
      solodee
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,036 posts | 147 
      • Liverpool FC All The Way
      Reply #14: Nov 29, 2007 05:52:26 pm
      Too many lovely goals to name them all. But i will always remember Crouch's scissors volley-type kick that was executed so effortlessly. It was a clinical finish, full of confidence in its execution and at the same time, a crowd pleaser. Lovely goal
      king kenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,121 posts | 450 
      Reply #15: Nov 29, 2007 07:34:53 pm
      For me its gerrard's goal in the Cl final because of the spirit ,desire,belief, passion and heart he showed even in adverse situations.

I second that!  I have not seen a better goal in the 25 years of supporting the club it had everything in it.  Yes there has been great goals in the past, but that was special, really really special!
      EddieC

• 5,557 posts | 233 
      Reply #16: Nov 30, 2007 08:38:04 am
      For me there's two goals & both for the same reason, they show that we never give up & fight right to the final whistle.

Gerrards FA Cup goal & Collymore v Newcastle.
      Glenbuck
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,893 posts | 205 
      Reply #17: Nov 30, 2007 08:52:27 am
      Liverpool’s third in the 1974 FA Cup Final- I lost count of the passes as Shankly sat on the bench waving his hands side to side like a demented puppeteer until finally Tommy Smith played a nonchalant pass with the outside of his boot out to the wing the ball came in and Keegan grabbed the third, as David Coleman put it "Newcastle were undressed; absolutely stripped naked"

Liverpool’s seventh against Spurs 1978 is a goal I will always remember for the speed and class of passing. Johnson’s cross field ball to Heighway who galloped on and then delivered a perfect ball to the steaming in McDermott who hit a bullet of a header into the net.
      AJ

• 6,445 posts | 124 
      • Boom!
      Reply #18: Nov 30, 2007 09:03:22 am
      I have to say aside the many that have been mentioned already I most enjoyed Agger's Equalizer against Chelsea last season just when the chips were down up stepped a hero and slotted home from a superb Gerrard lay off.  People seem to forget that  that goal got us level so we could go to penalties, so yeah ok if Gerrard had taken that kick it would have went in anyway but he didn't and we owe our second Cl final to Agger and the team trusting each other and playing with sheer determination throughout the game and STILL staying focused for the penalties.  That for me is what means the most.
      « Last Edit: Nov 30, 2007 09:11:01 am by AJ »
      red benno
      • Forum Youth Player

• 5 posts |
      Reply #19: Nov 30, 2007 09:49:50 am
      As a kid growing up in  the Paisley era i  love watching all the old videos and dvd's from the late 70's and early 80s. The goal for me is Kenny's winner in the 78 European Cup Final at Wembley. The sublime dink through the Brugge defence by Souness and the cheeky little chip from the master....and then his sprint and hurdle of the advertising hoardings towards the fans behind the goal . Pure class.

Of such moments Chelski can only dream....
      ozzyred
      • Forum Neil Ruddock

• 153 posts |
      Reply #20: Nov 30, 2007 04:49:21 pm
      gerrads goal vs olympiacos or fowlers goal vs man u when he showed neville up
      scouser77bo
      • Forum Youth Player

• 19 posts |
      Reply #21: Nov 30, 2007 05:03:49 pm
      No doubt about me. Surely number 1 Stevie G goal to Olympiakos in Champions League 2005, this was where all begun and for me, here in Italy, is even more special. My number 2 choice, still Gerrard in F.A. Cup final 2006 against West Ham. absolutely fantastic
      Oldred
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,230 posts | 87 
      Reply #22: Nov 30, 2007 06:53:58 pm
      When I read this thread I immediately thought of Gerrard's goal against Olympiarcos, the McManaman's goal against Celtic and then Stan's winning goal against Newcastle.  But these are all relatively recent in Liverpool's history.

For some reason the one that keeps coming back into my mind is not from one of our prolific or even regular goal scorers but one of the legendary hard men that we always had in our winning teams.

It is the Tommy Smith goal in the 1977 European Cup Final when his header turned the game our way.  I remember at the time saying "Was that Tommy Smith who scored that?" because he was the last player that I or fortunately the opposition expected to score. :soccer_h4h:

And then I went ballistic!!

Quick Reply