Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Pre-Match: Brentford vs Liverpool [Sat 25th of September 5:30pm]

Read 7702 times
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,965 posts | 3047 
      Re: Pre-Match: Brentford vs Liverpool [Sat 25th of September 5:30pm]
      Reply #23: Sep 23, 2021 09:44:55 am
      Keita hasn't been ruled out has he? Last I saw Klopp said he had to be taken off yesterday because he kicked the ground but its nothing really.

Alisson
      Trent, Konate, Virgil, Robbo
      Hendo, Fab, Keita/Jones
      Salah, Jota, Mane

All season the CB options have been anyone's guess and now we can add LB to that scenario too. Robbo is the better of the two players but Kostas has made a better start to the season and his confidence is growing. I thought Robbo was certain to start this game but then Kostas got taken off in the 2nd half vs Norwich so literally have no clue.

Don't think it's going to be an easy game, they've made a good start to the season and have nothing to lose so would expect them to cause us a few problems.

I think that was just game time for Robbo - remember he's just back from injury too.

Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #24: Sep 23, 2021 09:46:10 am
      Id leave Jota out and Go Minamino Saturday, see if he can build confidence to let the player in there break out. We done this to him last year after Palace away. Played well scored a couple then got binned off

Id give him proper chances. God forbid we lose lads for important games we need to know can he step in
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,300 posts | 3869 
      Reply #25: Sep 23, 2021 09:52:53 am
      Id leave Jota out and Go Minamino Saturday, see if he can build confidence to let the player in there break out. We done this to him last year after Palace away. Played well scored a couple then got binned off

Id give him proper chances. God forbid we lose lads for important games we need to know can he step in

I completely agree with this! Minamino took his chance and delivered. Deserves at start for me
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,452 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #26: Sep 23, 2021 10:08:32 am
      Don't think he will start, but can see him defo getting on the park for longer 2nd half. half hour or so.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      Reply #27: Sep 23, 2021 10:45:45 am
      Don't think he will start, but can see him defo getting on the park for longer 2nd half. half hour or so.

Even that would be ok.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,963 posts | 3944 
      Reply #28: Sep 23, 2021 11:28:25 am

Is right Brian, always rated Minamino and he deserves more outings.
      Those goals were well taken and a sure sign of the increased confidence the lad has at being selected.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      Reply #29: Sep 23, 2021 11:59:16 am
      Is right Brian, always rated Minamino and he deserves more outings.
      Those goals were well taken and a sure sign of the increased confidence the lad has at being selected.

Not that I want Jota dropped, just feel the more time Minamino gets the more well see the player that impressed us so much for Salzburg, he cant do it in 5 minute cameos..Give him an hour Sat then throw on Diogo
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,452 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #30: Sep 23, 2021 02:10:23 pm
      If klopp has confidence in all 6 strikers, we will see much more rotation, its a great situation to be in, long may it continue. Especially considering were losing the african lads for a few games at some point, be great if taki & origi are still impressing then.
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,053 posts | 82 
      Reply #31: Sep 23, 2021 02:53:25 pm
      Alisson
      TAA-Matip-VVD-Robbo
      Hendo-Fab-Keita
      Mo-Jota-Mane

This is our best team (in my book Jota > Bobby and Keita > Thiago, though close in both cases). Let them play and get rhythm for the City game. Rotation is for CL, now that we won the first game and do not have pressure.
      Richard88
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 399 posts | 145 
      • John 3:16
      Reply #32: Sep 23, 2021 03:14:57 pm
      Alisson
      TAA-Matip-VVD-Robbo
      Hendo-Fab-Keita
      Mo-Jota-Mane

This is our best team (in my book Jota > Bobby and Keita > Thiago, though close in both cases). Let them play and get rhythm for the City game. Rotation is for CL, now that we won the first game and do not have pressure.
      There's certainly an argument to be made for spreading the rotation out across the Brentford and Porto games, rather than going full strength against Brentford and rotating heavily against Porto.

That said, I'm also in the camp of going strongest XI vs Brentford and rotating against Porto. We're in a great position in the CL group, and have a massive opportunity to open up a gap on City this week.

If they lose at Chelsea on Saturday and we beat Brentford then City will be coming to Anfield 6 points behind us in the league, and they'll be coming off aways against Chelsea and a midweek game against PSG. That would set up an early opportunity for a hammer blow against City early on, to go 9 points clear.

That opportunity is enticing and should take priority at this stage. We need to take care of business against Brentford which is no guarantee of three points, so I'd field our first XI. Brentford are something of an unknown entity in the league as well so I'd opt for our best team for that reason too.

Also worth considering that the CL allows 5 subs, so we can start a weakened XI against Porto and then bring on our big guns to decide the game in the 2nd half.
      Richard88
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 399 posts | 145 
      Reply #33: Sep 23, 2021 03:28:03 pm
      I’d be surprised if Bobby gets on the pitch against Brentford I think it’s too soon maybe 30mins against Porto.
      Firmino is very important to our off-ball movement and pressing, especially in big fixtures, so I reckon Klopp will want him to be as sharp as possible against City. Thus, if he's fit he'll start getting minutes off the bench against Brentford, and then possibly 30-60 minutes against Porto in midweek to give him the option of starting against City.
      Richard88
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 399 posts | 145 
      Reply #34: Sep 23, 2021 03:40:02 pm
      Actually can see taki and divock starting at Porto, maybe subbed on 60mins if needed, or even a planned 45mins sub, seen as can use 5 subs in Europe.
      Good point on the 5 subs, that certainly increases the chances of Minamino featuring. I'd be surprised though if both Minamino and Origi start.

With Firmino working his way back to full fitness he'll be in contention, and I don't think Klopp will want to rest three of the front 4 against Porto.

I'd envisage that we'll see something like this in the next 3 games:

Brentford: Mane --- Jota -- Salah
      Porto:       Origi -- Firmino - Salah
      Man City: Mane -- Jota/Firmino -- Salah

Mane gets two starts, Jota and Firmino split duties at CF, and Salah starts all three but gets subbed early against Porto to keep him fresh for City. Minamino to come off the bench either against Brentford or Porto depending on the scorelines.

Richard88
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 399 posts | 145 
      Reply #35: Sep 23, 2021 03:45:14 pm
      I think that was just game time for Robbo - remember he's just back from injury too.
      Yeah, Klopp clearly wanted Robertson to get some minutes on the pitch ahead of Brentford given that he also missed the Palace game.

Had Robertson not featured against Norwich he wouldn't have any minutes in his legs since Sept.15th against Milan, which would have had him coming in a bit rusty against Brentford after 10 days without any game time which wouldn't have been ideal. A 25-30 minute cameo was exactly what he needed to stay match sharp.
      Richard88
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 399 posts | 145 
      Reply #36: Sep 23, 2021 03:49:26 pm

Minamino played 90 minutes in midweek so it would be extremely surprising to see him get the start at the weekend ahead of a rested Jota.

Jota could also probably do with another start asap as he'll want to make amends for missing the sitter against Palace and get back to scoring goals as he hasn't scored since the first couple of games.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,452 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #37: Sep 23, 2021 04:02:02 pm
      Good point on the 5 subs, that certainly increases the chances of Minamino featuring. I'd be surprised though if both Minamino and Origi start.

With Firmino working his way back to full fitness he'll be in contention, and I don't think Klopp will want to rest three of the front 4 against Porto.

I'd envisage that we'll see something like this in the next 3 games:

Brentford: Mane --- Jota -- Salah
      Porto:       Origi -- Firmino - Salah
      Man City: Mane -- Jota/Firmino -- Salah

Mane gets two starts, Jota and Firmino split duties at CF, and Salah starts all three but gets subbed early against Porto to keep him fresh for City. Minamino to come off the bench either against Brentford or Porto depending on the scorelines.

aye could be something like that.  :gt-happyup:
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,452 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #38: Sep 23, 2021 04:04:43 pm
      Firmino is very important to our off-ball movement and pressing, especially in big fixtures, so I reckon Klopp will want him to be as sharp as possible against City. Thus, if he's fit he'll start getting minutes off the bench against Brentford, and then possibly 30-60 minutes against Porto in midweek to give him the option of starting against City.

Aye bobby will get some sub appearances, no real need to rush him back, which is brilliant position to be in tbf.
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,233 posts | 752 
      Reply #39: Sep 23, 2021 04:19:34 pm
      Could be a tough fixture, away at Brentford. With Minamino & Origi in the squad, I think a 2  1 the Reds, could be on the cards.
      bmck
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,404 posts | 1611 
      • YNWA
      Reply #40: Sep 23, 2021 04:22:18 pm
               Alisson
      TAA Matip VVD Kostas
        Hendo Fab Jones
         Salah Jota Mane

Hopefully TAA will be ready and back.
      I'd prob start Kostas, Robbo still looks a little rusty still and Kostas delivery and set pieces has been really good.  While he's holding his own, no need to rush Robbo back, and Robbo could still start against Porto instead. In saying that, would think Jürgen would want to get games into Robbo, so he'll prob start him. But it's much of a muchness imho.
      Hendo and Fab to play, so would bypass Keita and give Jones more game time. Keita 'kicked grass' so remains to be seen if he'll recover anyway.

Up front, with the CL match coming up, hard to know if Jürgen will start Salah Jota Mane. Thought Taki and Origi took their goals really well against Norwich, but don't think their general play is a match for the 3 lads. Of the two though, think Origi would be most likely to get a start. Don't think AOC should figure in either game, I'd have Gordon ahead of him.

Brentford have started really well, so will be lively, but hopefully we can go there and do another professional job.
      Richard88
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 399 posts | 145 
      Reply #41: Sep 23, 2021 04:48:02 pm
               Alisson
      TAA Matip VVD Kostas
        Hendo Fab Jones
         Salah Jota Mane

Hopefully TAA will be ready and back.
      I'd prob start Kostas, Robbo still looks a little rusty still and Kostas delivery and set pieces has been really good.  While he's holding his own, no need to rush Robbo back, and Robbo could still start against Porto instead. In saying that, would think Jürgen would want to get games into Robbo, so he'll prob start him. But it's much of a muchness imho.
      Hendo and Fab to play, so would bypass Keita and give Jones more game time. Keita 'kicked grass' so remains to be seen if he'll recover anyway.

Up front, with the CL match coming up, hard to know if Jürgen will start Salah Jota Mane. Thought Taki and Origi took their goals really well against Norwich, but don't think their general play is a match for the 3 lads. Of the two though, think Origi would be most likely to get a start. Don't think AOC should figure in either game, I'd have Gordon ahead of him.

Brentford have started really well, so will be lively, but hopefully we can go there and do another professional job.
      Interesting idea re: the leftback spot, though I think you're overstating how rusty Robertson is. Tsimikas has been good, and yeah Robertson was a little wayward with a couple of passes in his cameo against Norwich, but Tsimikas has started the last two games and Robbo is rested, so I would be surprised if Robertson doesn't start against Brentford. He even got the 30 minute cameo against Norwich in midweek to get him warmed up for the weekend too.

Looking ahead at upcoming fixtures I'd also be wanting to get Robertson in the best possible shape to start the Man City game, in which case giving him the Brentford game and Tsimikas the midweek Porto game makes the most sense.

Whatever the case, how refreshing it is to have two really good leftbacks! Been ages since we had this 'problem', and long may it continue.
      bmck
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,404 posts | 1611 
      • YNWA
      Reply #42: Sep 23, 2021 05:14:21 pm

Whatever the case, how refreshing it is to have two really good leftbacks! Been ages since we had this 'problem', and long may it continue.

Yea, it's great at FB on that side, Kostas is putting proper pressure on Robbo.
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,233 posts | 752 
      Reply #43: Sep 23, 2021 05:27:53 pm
      At least one of our strikers should hit form, against Brentford on Saturday. There will be plenty of talent on the bench !
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #44: Sep 23, 2021 05:33:29 pm
      If Jota doesn't improve on Saturday, I would expect Bobby to start vs. Porto.
      Richard88
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 399 posts | 145 
      Reply #45: Sep 23, 2021 05:56:56 pm
      This is how I'd rotate the squad for the next 3 fixtures:

Brentford

Allison
      Trent*    Matip    Van Dijk   Robertson
                       Fabinho
              Henderson* Keita
        Salah         Jota            Mane

Subs (max 3): Milner for Trent, Jones for Henderson, Firmino for one of the front 3.

Porto

Allison
      Trent*   Konate   Gomez   Tsimikas
                       Henderson*
                   Milner     Jones
          Salah*       Jota*       Origi

Subs (max 5): Fabinho for Henderson, Firmino for Jota, Mane/Minamino for Salah/Jota. Maybe Trent subbed off as well if scoreline allows.

Man City

Allison
      Trent    Matip    Van Dijk   Robertson
                       Fabinho
               Henderson  Thiago
        Salah       Firmino         Mane

Subs (max 3): Jota and Keita at some point for fresh legs.

Asterisks (*) denote that the player should be subbed reasonably early to keep them fresh for the next game.

Trent should be able to play 3 games in 8 days (Sat-Tue-Sun) after being rested the last couple of games, but he'd ideally be subbed early once or twice if scorelines permit.

Henderson might be a bit overplayed in this rotation so perhaps his minutes should be shared a bit more among other midfielders. For example maybe Henderson and Fabinho split the minutes in the Porto game, with Henderson starting and Fabinho coming off the bench.

Up front I think we'll have some good options with Firmino back. I'd expect him to gradually build up his minutes with a view to start against City, starting with a cameo against Brentford and then 30-60 minutes against Porto.

If Thiago isn't fit by the City game then Keita would slot into midfield instead.

The Porto lineup is the tricky one to get right, but I think the team above should have enough to get a result in Porto. The back 4 is a bit new but still features quality at fullback and a very solid CB partnership, with Henderson shielding. Jones and Milner should keep us ticking along, and the front 3 should have enough to get goals. The bench will also be very strong should we need to ramp things up in the last 30 to win the game.

Quick Reply