Trending Topics

Next match: Man Utd v LFC [Premier League] Sun 24th Oct @ 4:30 pm
      Old Trafford

Today is the 22nd of October and on this date LFC's match record is P30 W13 D8 L9

This Game In History

Read 521 times
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 3,330 posts | 647 
      This Game In History
      Sep 25, 2021 12:29:55 pm
      This week we're off to Brentford for the first time in almost 75 years. That will be well documented. But what happened the last time we played Brentford? When people speak of the 89 Cup campaign, they talk about the semi final and the final for obvious reasons. But neither would have happened without the quarter final against Brentford in March 89 at Anfield.

It was our only home game in the cup campaign that season. I wasn't there on that grey cold and soggy Saturday afternoon. In fact I didn't even know where Brentford were situated at the time. But the Division 3 side took their full allocation of tickets looking for an upset. We were about 10 points off the top of the table at the time, so maybe the cup would be our best chance to win something this season. McMahon put us 1-0 up at half time, but it wasn't until 3 late goals wrapped up the tie, most notably another Barnes special.

I finally saw the highlights of the game 18 months later. Unable to see the game at the time, I had to make do with watching Forest beat the mancs in one of the other quarter finals. Fate would dictate that the next round would see us play Forest for a place in the final, but that has it's own story.

We won the cup that year for the fourth time, but never faced Brentford again in any competition until now. Its our first visit to London this season, and it should be a routine three points for the first time there since WWII.
      PTU
      • Forum Kenny Dalglish

• 520 posts | 113 
      Re: This Game In History
      Reply #1: Sep 25, 2021 01:01:21 pm
      Always interesting to learn more of our history. Thanks for sharing!
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 33,497 posts | 5715 
      Reply #2: Sep 26, 2021 02:03:39 pm
      This week we're off to Brentford for the first time in almost 75 years. That will be well documented. But what happened the last time we played Brentford? When people speak of the 89 Cup campaign, they talk about the semi final and the final for obvious reasons. But neither would have happened without the quarter final against Brentford in March 89 at Anfield.

It was our only home game in the cup campaign that season. I wasn't there on that grey cold and soggy Saturday afternoon. In fact I didn't even know where Brentford were situated at the time. But the Division 3 side took their full allocation of tickets looking for an upset. We were about 10 points off the top of the table at the time, so maybe the cup would be our best chance to win something this season. McMahon put us 1-0 up at half time, but it wasn't until 3 late goals wrapped up the tie, most notably another Barnes special.

I finally saw the highlights of the game 18 months later. Unable to see the game at the time, I had to make do with watching Forest beat the mancs in one of the other quarter finals. Fate would dictate that the next round would see us play Forest for a place in the final, but that has it's own story.

We won the cup that year for the fourth time, but never faced Brentford again in any competition until now. Its our first visit to London this season, and it should be a routine three points for the first time there since WWII.

The season of Hillsborogh.

Was at the Brentford Cup game with my dad. With the anny rd being given to the away fans, we were in the Kem.

What can I remember about the game - John Barnes was f**king awesome.
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 3,330 posts | 647 
      Reply #3: Oct 01, 2021 10:49:45 pm
      1986 is remembered for many things, Challenger, Chernobyl, Argentina winning the World Cup, and Madonna letting us know she was a True Blue. But it's also known as the year we won the double against the blues, and it started on Easter Monday on March 31 at home to City.

Monday afternoon football is long gone these days, replaced by Monday Night Football, even though we had to wait until 1996 before we had a EPL game at home on a Monday night. But back in the 80's and 90's, there was a full league programme on Easter Monday, after another full league programme on Easter Saturday. Nowadays there would be uproar at such a schedule, back then players just got on with it no questions asked and no rotation expected.

After drawing 0-0 on the Saturday at Sheffield Wednesday, the City home game gave us an opportunity to go top. Steve McMahon did the job with the goals to give us a routine 2-0 win, which was payback for the loss in the away game at Christmas. When the neighbours could only draw 0-0 at the mancs, we had wiped out a 8 point gap to them in mid February to now lead the table on goal difference at the end of March. Of course, it wasn't quite as simple as that, as they still had a game in hand. When they lost it in the last week of the season, we finally had the winning of the league in our own hands. Dalglish took his chance to win us the league, then Rush won the cup for the first time since 74, and added the Screensport Super Cup in September. The Charity Shield finished as a draw with no penalties, and was the only trophy we were willing to share.

The season had started with the club's name in the headlines, the team in transition, and Kenny getting questioned. But the year ended with 3 trophies and on an open top bus. If only every year was as successful as that.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 33,497 posts | 5715 
      Reply #4: Oct 02, 2021 02:31:00 pm
      It actually started after we lost to Everton at home.

Grobbelaar squirming a shot under him for The blues to go 2 up. Then followed a 12 match unbeaten run with Kenny scoring the winner to win the league at Stamford Bridge.

Then Rush did his usual against the Blues at Wembley and the Cup Double was ours.

Quick Reply