Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v Brentford?

Alisson Becker
      0 (0%)
      Trent Alexander-Arnold
      1 (1.7%)
      Joel Matip
      0 (0%)
      Virgil van Dijk
      4 (6.8%)
      Andy Robertson
      0 (0%)
       Fabinho
      3 (5.1%)
      Jordan Henderson
      7 (11.9%)
      Curtis Jones
      21 (35.6%)
      Diogo Jota
      6 (10.2%)
      Mohammed Salah
      17 (28.8%)
      Sadio Mane
      0 (0%)
      Roberto Firmino
      0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 59

Voting closed: Sep 29, 2021 07:24:44 pm

Brentford 3-3 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 16908 times
      CT_LFC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,782 posts | 1395 
      Re: Brentford 3-3 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #529: Sep 25, 2021 08:41:04 pm
      Please can Robertson STOP shooting??!

May need to delete the 'when will Robertson score' topic as I'm worried that he's aware of it and trying to score  :mad:  :f_doh:

I WANT him to shoot because he’s too predictable where the opposition knows he’s going to cross, but then today he has a chance to let it rip and instead tries the fancy top corner bend. Wtf Robbo.
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,208 posts | 1503 
      Reply #530: Sep 25, 2021 08:43:32 pm
      If we press city high we’ll win it. Just have to match their numbers in midfield.
      Something we didn’t do today !
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #531: Sep 25, 2021 08:46:11 pm
      Not good enough defensively. I want to watch it again (with a bottle of bourbon) to pick apart the issues. I agree both center backs looked shaky more than once, but I'm leaning toward the midfield as a main culprit as Brentford (full credit) seemed to win most of the 2nd balls. I'll watch it again.

Saying that, we kept clean sheets in four of five league games prior to today, so we're clearly capable of playing much better in this regard. Remembering that, I'm not going to lose my rag over the whole thing. Disappointing result, but we're still a great team. 96 league points to play for. Stay steady, Reds.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #532: Sep 25, 2021 08:49:26 pm
      I don’t think its as straightforward as that. For me, I know we won’t win every game but I have no issue with that so long as the performance is there and you drop points giving it your all. Performances like today are pathetic, time and time again they were catching us out the same way and we weren’t learning from it. Then we have strikers pissing around with the ball instead of shooting.

You can’t fault the opposition when they have as much desire as Brentford but to twice take the lead and concede such sloppy goals isn’t acceptable.

And what you saw today was any better than that? What I saw today was worse than what you’ve listed above it wasn’t even against City thank god.

Referencing the particulars about those two games is to mitigate the statistic about goals conceded in THOSE games. It's not like they are doing that to us all things being equal, and you know it.

Regarding today, was today the only performance to go by? If we play 6 games, and five of them are good and one of them was bad, should we only look at the bad one?

Not for me.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #533: Sep 25, 2021 08:53:38 pm
      Regarding today, was today the only performance to go by? If we play 6 games, and five of them are good and one of them was bad, should we only look at the bad one?

You’re only as good as you’re last performance. You win the first 5 but lose the 6th, you can’t go into the 7th game thinking you’re the nuts because you win the first 5 and the 6th doesn’t matter then the complacency can punish you.
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,030 posts | 1973 
      Reply #534: Sep 25, 2021 08:53:39 pm
      We have fans on here that if you don’t win every single game think the world is going to end. You draw games away from home people and if your not at your best it’s ok.

Or they just aren’t sensitive girls who get upset because somebody criticised their favourite footballer...even though they’re a 40+ year old man.

It’s ok to discuss the game how it was. It’s ok to say a few players didn’t play well today, which they didn’t.

Nobody is saying it’s the end of the world, or sack klopp, or we won’t compete this season. People are just saying it was a poor performance, which it was.

Would advise a few people not to go into a boozer near anfield after a loss because I think they’d be in tears ringing their mum asking to pick them up after five minutes.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #535: Sep 25, 2021 08:56:03 pm
      You’re only as good as you’re last performance.

You're as good as the sum of all your performances. Right now we are top of the table. We are capable of playing great football. We've done so an number of times this season already, just not today. I'm backing the team to do that again next weekend against City.

CT_LFC

• 6,782 posts | 1395 
      Reply #536: Sep 25, 2021 08:59:58 pm
      You’re only as good as you’re last performance. You win the first 5 but lose the 6th, you can’t go into the 7th game thinking you’re the nuts because you win the first 5 and the 6th doesn’t matter then the complacency can punish you.

Haha, what a drama queen. It was a bad game, which will happen here and there in the span of 50 games.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #537: Sep 25, 2021 09:01:55 pm
      Haha, what a drama queen. It was a bad game, which will happen here and there in the span of 50 games.

Says the queen trying to call out Alisson at any given opportunity.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #538: Sep 25, 2021 09:02:00 pm

Thinking we can perform up to the necessary level and get a result isn't the same thing as thinking "we're the nuts," or that the last game "doesn't matter" or that there is any room for complacency.

AS always, it comes from total commitment, in reviewing the last performance, putting in a good game plan, executing that game plan and overall performance. We've shown we can do this, so I'm not "dreading" facing Man City. That's it.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #539: Sep 25, 2021 09:05:23 pm
      Thinking we can perform up to the necessary level and get a result isn't the same thing as thinking "we're the nuts," or that the last game "doesn't matter" or that there is any room for complacency.

I give up. You’re missing my point or maybe I’m not wording it right so I can’t even be bothered to try and explain it further or properly or whatever, will have my beer instead.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #540: Sep 25, 2021 09:08:46 pm

OK - my apologies then. I agree with you about today  not being good enough.  I know you are truly devoted to the team, and maybe it's just we have different dispositions when it comes to reacting to bad results or whatever. If we were at the pub I'd buy you that beer.

I just saw you post that you are dreading playing City and I'm trying to say there's plenty of reason not to dread that, to believe the team can put in a winning performance, in spite of today not being good enough.

7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #541: Sep 25, 2021 09:10:22 pm
      OK - my apologies then. I agree with you about today  not being good enough.  I know you are truly devoted to the team, and maybe it's just we have different dispositions when it comes to reacting to bad results or whatever. If we were at the pub I'd buy you that beer.

I just saw you post that you are dreading playing City and I'm trying to say there's plenty of reason not to dread that, to believe the team can put in a winning performance, in spite of today not being good enough.

It’s just frustration mate. That’s all. Probably would’ve explained it better after the bevvy…
      Redangel

• 8,084 posts | 966 
      Reply #542: Sep 25, 2021 09:11:53 pm
      They tore Chelsea apart today, I can’t see us beating them

If Chelsea had bothered to play in the first half like they did in the second, the result could have been totally different. Tuchel got it wrong!
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,053 posts | 82 
      Reply #543: Sep 25, 2021 09:21:21 pm
      Just some borderline offtopic rumbling:

City is just superior to us. They have a squad with a market value of more!!! than 200 Mio. $ over us. It's almost two different leagues. We draw next week and I am happy. Then in January we need a starting caliber reinforcement, else we are back in 2018 and our only chances are the cups. It's frustrating to see what success Klopp could have had in a fairer distrubuted league, he could actually attack Paisley's numbers. But instead City cheats, Chelsea cheats and we are content because our owners (deeply inside) do only care about revenue instead of fame like those billioniares.

srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #544: Sep 25, 2021 09:29:33 pm
      Or they just aren’t sensitive girls who get upset because somebody criticised their favourite footballer...even though they’re a 40+ year old man.

It’s ok to discuss the game how it was. It’s ok to say a few players didn’t play well today, which they didn’t.

Nobody is saying it’s the end of the world, or sack klopp, or we won’t compete this season. People are just saying it was a poor performance, which it was.

Would advise a few people not to go into a boozer near anfield after a loss because I think they’d be in tears ringing their mum asking to pick them up after five minutes.

Great post mate.

I didn't see the game but agree if you can't criticise footballers when they play sh*t then it's a sad time.

Flip side is some seem to be just waiting for this type of result as it plays into their thoughts on the summer etc, not saying this is you by the way.

I'm a grown up. I think our squad is one of the best in the league no matter what happened in the summer but if we don't play to the level we need then any criticism is justified.
      « Last Edit: Sep 25, 2021 09:40:11 pm by srslfc »
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #545: Sep 25, 2021 09:41:02 pm
      Great post mate.

I didn't see the game but agree if you can't criticise footballers when they play sh*t then it's a sad time.

Flip side is some seem to be just waiting for this type of result as it played into their thoughts on the summer etc, not saying this is you by the way.

I'm a grown up. I think our squad is one of the best on the league no matter what happened in the summer but if we don't play to the level we need then any criticism is justified.

Good post. If I'm one of those footballers and I happen to hear that fans criticized my performance, if I started to feel down about their viewpoint, I would remind myself I have XX million reasons not to let it bother me.

But of course the best ones are motivated to get back to the high standard BEFORE they hear any fans giving them hell.

Wins Tuesday and Sunday will get the bad taste all the way out of my  mouth.

srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #546: Sep 25, 2021 09:43:00 pm
      Good post. If I'm one of those footballers and I happen to hear that fans criticized my performance, if I started to feel down about their viewpoint, I would remind myself I have XX million reasons not to let it bother me.

But of course the best ones are motivated to get back to the high standard BEFORE they hear any fans giving them hell.

Wins Tuesday and Sunday will get the bad taste all the way out of my  mouth.

That's it.

The players and manager will be their first critics as all successful people are.

chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,019 posts | 2741 
      Reply #547: Sep 25, 2021 10:30:35 pm
      To me that whole performance came across naive. A couple of seasons ago we would have made that game boring and got it done but instead we let it get wild.

There will be plenty of other teams that will get us into that mess. How will we react? That’ll define our season.
      UncleBob
      • Spotify Bob
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,135 posts | 567 
      Reply #548: Sep 25, 2021 10:35:19 pm
      I still think we lack a clinical forward: and I know salah scores a lot but he also misses a lot.
      I would love a fowler type player right now. He would score hatricks every other week with the chances we carve out.

As mediocre as we were today we could have scored five.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #549: Sep 25, 2021 11:17:20 pm
      I still think we lack a clinical forward: and I know salah scores a lot but he also misses a lot.
      I would love a fowler type player right now. He would score hatricks every other week with the chances we carve out.

That chance where Salah went for the chip, that was the sort of finish that Michael Owen used to thrive on; ball slipped through to him, 1v1, open the body out and slot it into the corner. It’s probably the one area of finishing that Salah could improve. When he’s 1v1 he seems to overthink it and has a hesitancy to go for it first time…which is strange because situations like his goal and he just goes for it.
      But, like I said earlier on, if it had gone in then we all say how class it was.
      bmck

• 9,404 posts | 1611 
      • YNWA
      Reply #550: Sep 25, 2021 11:32:47 pm

We probably could've had a couple more, but arguably so could they.

Think though on a day when you score 3 goals away from home and don't win, need to look more at the back 5 and why 3 got by our end.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #551: Sep 25, 2021 11:45:35 pm
      Fans were right with that Ronald McDonald kit.

Quick Reply