Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Pre-Match: FC Porto vs Liverpool [Tuesday 28th of September 8:00pm]

Read 3400 times
      bmck
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish
      • Started Topic

• 9,404 posts | 1611 
      • YNWA
      Pre-Match: FC Porto vs Liverpool [Tuesday 28th of September 8:00pm]
      Sep 27, 2021 05:46:35 pm
      Pre-Match: Porto vs Liverpool [Tuesday 28th of September 8:00pm] 

Some online news:

Jürgen Klopp reported no fresh injury concerns ahead of Liverpool's Champions League trip to FC Porto, with Naby Keita set to return.

Midfielder Keita missed Saturday's draw with Brentford due to a foot issue sustained during last week's Carabao Cup victory at Norwich City, but took part in training before Monday's flight to Portugal.

That means only Thiago Alcantara and Harvey Elliott are ruled out of the Group B match at Estadio do Dragao on Tuesday night.

"A big one, a big squad will travel. We have 23 players with us," Klopp told the media, prior to Monday's session.

"Apart from the longer-term injuries, I think they are all in. So, no Thiago, no Harvey, the rest are available… no new concerns in the moment. Hopefully it stays like this."

Would have thought we'd need to make a few changes from Sat, and also given massive game vs Citeh coming up this weekend.

So stab at the lineup:

Ally
      TAA Gomez VVD Kostas
        Keita Fab Milner
       Salah Firmino Origi/Taki

Give Matip a rest, Joe has looked good.
      Again toss up between Robbo and Kostas.
      Keita and Milly in for Hendo/Jones.
      And maybe start Mane/Jota on the bench.
      ORCHARD RED

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Re: Pre-Match: FC Porto vs Liverpool [Tuesday 28th of September 8:00pm]
      Reply #1: Sep 27, 2021 06:06:25 pm
      Expecting a tough game here. A draw probably wouldn't be the end of world, but we have to players to carve out a win. I'm going for a 2-1 win.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #2: Sep 27, 2021 06:31:18 pm
      Ideally the CB pairing will be the same as what is the plan for against City. There’s been too much rotation in that area and it showed massively against Brentford. We need to start getting some consistency at the back instead of changing it about from one week to the next. There’s plenty of football to be played this season, plenty of chances for them all to play but the way we’ve gone about the rotation in the last couple of weeks hasn’t been ideal IMO.

Got the feeling Origi and possibly Taki will be starting this game.
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,233 posts | 752 
      Reply #3: Sep 27, 2021 07:14:48 pm
      Difficult game coming so soon after the Brentford clash. Probably need one or two changes, whilst a draw would be acceptable a win away at Porto would be a great result.
      rossyred

• 9,090 posts | 1631 
      Reply #4: Sep 27, 2021 08:04:54 pm
      Ideally the CB pairing will be the same as what is the plan for against City. There’s been too much rotation in that area and it showed massively against Brentford. We need to start getting some consistency at the back instead of changing it about from one week to the next. There’s plenty of football to be played this season, plenty of chances for them all to play but the way we’ve gone about the rotation in the last couple of weeks hasn’t been ideal IMO.

Funny one with the CBs situation especially VVD as being out so long he needs minutes to back up to.speed but obviously needs rest around the injury . Expect Konate to start probably with Gomez as Milan but get your point
      Richard88
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 399 posts | 145 
      • John 3:16
      Reply #5: Sep 27, 2021 08:22:18 pm

I don't think one game is enough to state that Klopp's rotation plan hasn't been working. Klopp has been rotating quite a bit at CB, especially since the last international break, and yet the only goals we had conceded prior to the Brentford game were a set piece against Chelsea and the two goals against Milan that came completely against the run of plan in 2 crazy minutes. It's also very anomalous for the Matip-Van Dijk pairing to be so porous, so I wouldn't read too much into it.

Norwich 3-0
      Burnley 2-0
      Chelsea 1-1
      Leeds 3-0
      Milan 3-2
      Palace 3-0
      Norwich 3-0
      Brentford 3-3
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #6: Sep 27, 2021 08:38:38 pm
      I don't think one game is enough to state that Klopp's rotation plan hasn't been working. Klopp has been rotating quite a bit at CB, especially since the last international break, and yet the only goals we had conceded prior to the Brentford game were a set piece against Chelsea and the two goals against Milan that came completely against the run of plan in 2 crazy minutes. It's also very anomalous for the Matip-Van Dijk pairing to be so porous, so I wouldn't read too much into it.

Norwich 3-0
      Burnley 2-0
      Chelsea 1-1
      Leeds 3-0
      Milan 3-2
      Palace 3-0
      Norwich 3-0
      Brentford 3-3

I’m not basing it on one game. I’m basing it on the last couple of weeks where it seems to be a different pairing every game. We want consistency and a strong understanding to really build momentum within that defence. Regardless of the results prior to Brentford, chopping and changing the CB’s from one game to the next won’t give you that and that’s possibly why we are yet to go on a run of more than 2 consecutive clean sheets in our opening 8 games. You look at the Brentford game and the Milan games where we conceded 5 goals, the defence didn’t look a complete unit, the second they got put under pressure there were players out of position, not closing down the players they should have been and there were general signs of a lack of understanding. Regardless of how long they’ve been training together, that sort of understanding and cohesion comes from playing matches together and IMO having a different pairing virtually every game since about Leeds onwards isn’t helping.

I get 3 of them have had long term injuries and need managing carefully but IMO there’s far too much changing about at the moment.
      TameImpala
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,269 posts | 1216 
      • He's five foot seven, he's football heaven
      Reply #7: Sep 27, 2021 08:41:08 pm
      Would just be happy with the three points here. Full strength I'd expect us to hit them for a few but I'm guessing there'll be rotation with City on the Sunday
      rossyred

• 9,090 posts | 1631 
      Reply #8: Sep 27, 2021 09:16:46 pm
      Trent not even travelled
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,300 posts | 3869 
      Reply #9: Sep 27, 2021 09:37:16 pm

F**k sake
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,208 posts | 1503 
      Reply #10: Sep 27, 2021 10:49:38 pm

Niggle or rest I wonder.
      Or perhaps left at home to practice his crossing, but if that were the case, I would expect Robbo to be in training before Trent 😳
      Tsimikas is ok cover for Robbo but who’s gonna cover for Trent ? Millie perhaps ?
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,208 posts | 1503 
      Reply #11: Sep 27, 2021 10:54:19 pm
      I’ve gone for 2-1 to us, but sometimes I wonder after seeing the team sheet, when it’s too late to change the predictions.

Wonder if Trent is suffering from dizzy spells after that ordeal v Brentford 😂
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #12: Sep 27, 2021 10:54:55 pm
      These lot did well getting a draw against Atletico. Three points here would be a huge positive and make it look hard not to qualify.
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,300 posts | 3869 
      Reply #13: Sep 27, 2021 11:04:11 pm
      Niggle or rest I wonder.
      Or perhaps left at home to practice his crossing, but if that were the case, I would expect Robbo to be in training before Trent 😳
      Tsimikas is ok cover for Robbo but who’s gonna cover for Trent ? Millie perhaps ?

I would rather Milner than Williams
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,342 posts | 3368 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #14: Sep 27, 2021 11:06:16 pm
      Good news that neco is fit   :couch:
      Richard88
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 399 posts | 145 
      Reply #15: Sep 28, 2021 12:12:38 am
      I’m not basing it on one game. I’m basing it on the last couple of weeks where it seems to be a different pairing every game. We want consistency and a strong understanding to really build momentum within that defence. Regardless of the results prior to Brentford, chopping and changing the CB’s from one game to the next won’t give you that and that’s possibly why we are yet to go on a run of more than 2 consecutive clean sheets in our opening 8 games. You look at the Brentford game and the Milan games where we conceded 5 goals, the defence didn’t look a complete unit, the second they got put under pressure there were players out of position, not closing down the players they should have been and there were general signs of a lack of understanding. Regardless of how long they’ve been training together, that sort of understanding and cohesion comes from playing matches together and IMO having a different pairing virtually every game since about Leeds onwards isn’t helping.

I get 3 of them have had long term injuries and need managing carefully but IMO there’s far too much changing about at the moment.
      If we had played a make-shift back 5 against Brentford I would agree with you, but we played our first choice back 5 against Brentford. Perhaps there are issues with match sharpness and such, but the understanding and cohesion between these players isn't an issue; this is a unit that has won the PL and CL together after all.

Also consider that 2-3 of our CB's are returning from long term injuries, so Klopp has been sensible in how he's managed their minutes so as to not burn them out early. Not to mention that we have a new CB to bed in which is obviously a crucial factor in rotation.
      Richard88
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 399 posts | 145 
      Reply #16: Sep 28, 2021 12:18:49 am
      These lot did well getting a draw against Atletico. Three points here would be a huge positive and make it look hard not to qualify.
      3 points here and a draw for Atletico away to Milan would be the absolutely perfect start for us...

Liverpool   6 pts   GD of at least +2
      Atletico     2 pts   GD of 0
      Milan        1 pt     GD of -1
      Porto        1 pt     GD of at least -1

7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #17: Sep 28, 2021 01:09:52 am
      If we had played a make-shift back 5 against Brentford I would agree with you, but we played our first choice back 5 against Brentford. Perhaps there are issues with match sharpness and such, but the understanding and cohesion between these players isn't an issue; this is a unit that has won the PL and CL together after all.

Also consider that 2-3 of our CB's are returning from long term injuries, so Klopp has been sensible in how he's managed their minutes so as to not burn them out early. Not to mention that we have a new CB to bed in which is obviously a crucial factor in rotation.

Literally missing the point entirely.

You say that was our first choice back 5 but it was only the 3rd time they’ve all started this season which is less than 50% of the games so far, the last time was vs Leeds. In the 4 games that have followed that we have changed the CB’s alone in each of the games and have conceded 5 goals in those 4 games as well as a penalty that was luckily saved.

This is before we even take into account that the full backs have been changed too.

Last season we were shipping goals because we were changing the defence every game. Yes there were mitigating circumstances, before you mention the injuries. But, we became more solid when we stuck with the same defence; TAA, Kabak, Phillips and Robbo. Why? Because there was a consistency there and we weren’t chopping and changing every 5 minutes.
      City for example, up until last season were chopping and changing their defence from one game to the next and were leaking goals. Then they set on Walker, Stones, Dias and Cancelo for a period of time and became rock solid, much like this season too but mainly Laporte instead of Stones. Their defence isn’t better than ours, it cost more but it’s not better in terms of individual ability, but they have such a strong understanding from playing together most weeks and they are currently better as a collective.

If you think there’s not been too much rotation that’s fine, but don’t try passing it off with the success of the league and CL wins because they were over a season ago now, 3 members of that defence played virtually no football for near on a year so what happened in the past is irrelevant now. Just like having to get their match sharpness back individually, they need to get the understanding and the cohesion back too as a collective.

I don’t think it’s being unreasonable to say we should choose a defence line up and stick with it for a fair few games and gradually introduce the changes. There is plenty of football to be played, plenty of time for them all to get their chances. It’s a fair shout, no?
      « Last Edit: Sep 28, 2021 01:25:43 am by 7-King Kenny-7 »
      Richard88
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 399 posts | 145 
      Reply #18: Sep 28, 2021 01:30:30 am
      Literally missing the point entirely.

You say that was our first choice back 5 but it was only the 3rd time they’ve all started this season which is less than 50% of the games so far, the last time was vs Leeds. In the 4 games that have followed that we have changed the CB’s alone in each of the games and have conceded 5 goals in those 4 games as well as a penalty that was luckily saved.

This is before we even take into account that the full backs have been changed too.

Last season we were shipping goals because we were changing the defence every game. Yes there were mitigating circumstances, before you mention the injuries. But, we became more solid when we stuck with the same defence; TAA, Kabak, Phillips and Robbo. Why? Because there was a consistency there and we weren’t chopping and changing every 5 minutes.
      City for example, up until last season were chopping and changing their defence from one game to the next and were leaking goals. Then they set on Walker, Stones, Dias and Cancelo for a period of time and became rock solid, much like this season too but mainly Laporte instead of Stones. Their defence isn’t better than ours, it cost more but it’s not better in terms of individual ability, but they have such a strong understanding from playing together most weeks and they are currently better as a collective.

If you think there’s not been too much rotation that’s fine, but don’t try passing it off with the success of the league and CL wins because they were over a season ago now, 3 members of that defence played virtually no football for near on a year so what happened in the past is irrelevant now. Just like having to get their match sharpness back individually, they need to get the understanding and the cohesion back too as a collective.

I don’t think it’s being unreasonable to say we should choose a defence line up and stick with it for a fair few games and gradually introduce the changes. There is plenty of football to be played, plenty of time for them all to get their chances. It’s a fair shout, no?
      Thanks for elaborating and clarifying further, much appreciated. I think I see where you're coming from better now and agree in general with your point that rotation has perhaps led to more disjointedness at the back.

That said, whilst some rotation has led to goals against I think Klopp's been right to rotate a little bit. It's obviously a risk to unsettle the back 4, but in this case I think it was a risk worth taking, as the alternative could have been that Van Dijk, Matip, or Gomez could have burned out for playing too many games too soon. We've also now gotten all 4 CB's up and running already after just 6 league games which could be important if one of them has to be thrown into action at some point due to injuries.

Whatever the case I would expect that Van Dijk will start playing more regularly in CL games as well soon, if not against Porto then certainly against Atletico after the next international break.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #19: Sep 28, 2021 01:47:59 am
      Anyway, regardless of line ups. Let’s smash them again like last time.  :celebrate:
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #20: Sep 28, 2021 03:21:14 am
      I would rather Milner than Williams

Yeah, I would expect Milner to start at right back if Trent is not there.

Did anyone watch the video of the team training at Kirkby Monday? Wondering if Morton, Bradley or Gordon were with the group, not that I expect any of them to start, but just wondering if they are included. To be honest, I thought Bradley looked more in place vs. Norwich than I ever saw Neco look (and I'm not a Neco hater - just think Bradley looks a better footballer). Anyway, it's a little early in the group stage to be giving 16-18 year olds a run out (unless they are named Harvey Elliott - wish he was fit).
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,452 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #21: Sep 28, 2021 08:35:14 am
      Any Idea what's up with trent?, hoping its just a knock or something like that, and its just a precaution.
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,233 posts | 752 
      Reply #22: Sep 28, 2021 09:26:42 am
      Going for a 1  1 draw, but hope the Reds prove me wrong and bag all three points. Incidentally my predictions have been cr*p, this season.

Quick Reply