Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 19th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P21 W11 D8 L2

Final Score

Read 3753 times
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 3,827 posts | 701 
      Final Score
      Oct 01, 2021 10:55:47 pm
      What's everyone's favourite winning scoreline? Yes people will say they will take a 1-0 win, some will even state they would be happy with 38 of them in a given season. But would you really? Here's a few other suggestions.

1-0: 1-0 or any one goal win, can be anything from last minute winners in key games, to very competitive games where the heart beats too fast for your liking, to poor performances in boring games decided by a moment of quality or a mistake.

2-0: 2-0 or two goal wins, are generally more comfortable, but not all the time. We're often told in a game that we need a second goal, or alternatively that it's the most dangerous lead in football. 2 goal wins are rarely thrillers, and many teams who go 2 goals up prefer to manage the rest of the game rather than seek more goals. But at least it's more comfortable on the heart rate.

3-0: 3-0 or three goal wins, tend to be a mixed bag of periods of great play followed by other periods of game management. Most commonly seen when a team is 3-0 up at half time, when they shut the game down after the break and kill it off, rather than rack up another few goals and entertain their fans. They're also the kind of games where the crowd starts to head off 10 minutes before the end, or if they're losing by the scoreline, before half time.

4-0: 4-0 or 4 goal wins, can be a mixed bag where a team hits the accelerator in the first half then the brakes after the break, or very enjoyable if the goals are scored in both halves. Such a game was the 4-0 win v Spurs, or the 5-1 win v Arsenal in 2014, with most of the fun in the first 20 minutes. 4-0 wins are usually very comfortable, and while you're sometimes told that it flatters the winners, you're rarely told that that the best team lost.

5-0: 5-0 or 5 goal wins, are usually wonderful days out with no complaints, at least from our side. With us winning 5-0 on my last 2 games at home, the games were completely one sided where you could relax knowing that we would win the easy way. Though I felt also they were just a fair reflection of the games themselves, and we could maybe should, have scored even more.

6-0: 6-0 or at least a 6 goal winning margin, is usually a totally comprehensive selection box  of fabulous football, thrilling entertainment from beginning to end. Apart from those who take into account the standard of opposition on the receiving end, everyone else should head home happy.

So if you had the choice, what would it be?
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Re: Final Score
      Reply #1: Oct 01, 2021 11:27:29 pm
      say they will take a 1-0 win, some will even state they would be happy with 38 of them in a given season. But would you really?

Yes, really, it would mean we’d have won the league so why wouldn’t people be happy?
      -LFC-
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,117 posts | 1183 
      Reply #2: Oct 02, 2021 12:19:02 am
      How many 35 yard screamers that crash in off the crossbar would you prefer to see in each game?

How often would you like to see the Mancs get twatted, shat upon and dumped out of all of the competitions that have ever existed?
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,434 posts | 1731 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #3: Oct 02, 2021 08:47:03 am
      Any result with a 0 for opposition. 🤣
      Scottbot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,537 posts | 2126 
      Reply #4: Oct 02, 2021 10:45:11 am
      I know it's not on the options list but i really love 7-0 wins the most!
      ruthcity

• 6,867 posts | 1464 
      Reply #5: Oct 02, 2021 10:56:32 am
      10-0. I'd post negative comments for any other score.
      DanMann

• 5,634 posts | 866 
      Reply #6: Oct 02, 2021 12:28:41 pm

This. Against City.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #7: Oct 02, 2021 02:23:57 pm

Because 9-0 means we didn't spend enough.

11-0 means the owners are flaunting their wealth.
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,208 posts | 1503 
      Reply #8: Oct 02, 2021 02:29:19 pm
      4-0 will do me, as it will forever remind me of Liverpool v Barcelona CL.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,912 posts | 8429 
      Reply #9: Oct 02, 2021 02:34:25 pm
      Aa long as the reds are winning, I'm genuinely not arsed.

Although one fave scoreline I've seen a few times and always been great games is 4 - 3.
      TameImpala
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,269 posts | 1216 
      • He's five foot seven, he's football heaven
      Reply #10: Oct 02, 2021 02:43:54 pm
      Anything by a one goal margin if it means the winning goal could be scored late on. No better feeling in the world than scoring a late winner.

Don't get me wrong I do enjoy giving teams a pasting by 3, 4, 5 goals etc. But the rollercoaster of emotion that goes with a tight game, and the elation of winning at the death tops it for me
      PTU
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,078 posts | 630 
      Reply #11: Oct 02, 2021 03:36:37 pm
      Because 9-0 means we didn't spend enough.

11-0 means the owners are flaunting their wealth.

Nah, 11-0 is the best scoreline. One goal for each player, including a 96th minute header for Alisson who decided to go up for a corner despite leading 10-0 because why not...

Seriously though, there is no perfect scoreline. It all depends of the situation. Just look at this week, an easy win against Porto meant we could conserve energy for the big game on Sunday. And I'd love for us to snatch a last minute goal against City, because it'll make it even more frustrating for them (I'd equally love a a 5-0 trashing, mind you).
      So different circumstances, different 'perfect scoreline'.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,803 posts | 4909 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #12: Oct 02, 2021 03:39:05 pm
      Always enjoy a 3-0 , going 1 up especially early doors settles any nerves,   2 up gives us a cushion and a 3rd kills it or should do, so any 3 goal margin and I'm happy.

YNWA
      TameImpala
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,269 posts | 1216 
      • He's five foot seven, he's football heaven
      Reply #13: Oct 02, 2021 03:41:52 pm

But 10-0 means that at least one of the starting eleven hasn't scored, and that's not good enough I'm afraid
      lfc across the water
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 3,827 posts | 701 
      Reply #14: Oct 03, 2021 11:56:36 pm
      Quote from PTU
      Nah, 11-0 is the best scoreline. One goal for each player, including a 96th minute header for Alisson who decided to go up for a corner despite leading 10-0 because why not..

When Germany were winning 12-0 in San Marino, they wanted Lehmann to take a penalty for their next goal. After "disrespectful" complaints from the opposition, he declined. It was still scored, and it finished only 13-0. When they played Brazil in the World Cup, the players decided to ease up after half time in case it disrespected the opposition. I'll never understand that. If there's more goals in a game for you go and get them, it's not your fault the opposition can't cope.

Quote from 7-King Kenny-7
      Yes, really, it would mean we’d have won the league so why wouldn’t people be happy?

Of course they would, as it's stating the obvious. Jürgen says it's better to win 5 games 1-0 than win 1 game 5-0, and while technically he's correct, it's not realistic. Because eventually 1-0 then becomes 1-1, sometimes 1-2 and then people are not happy. 

You look at Chelsea now and they're set up to nick a goal and see it out. You look at the mancs and they only start playing when they're behind. Their fans are paying the amount they are to watch that and bite their fingernails to the bone, and sometimes they get bitten. If you look at the +60/65/70 goal difference margins by the champions every year, surely it says that if you want to win the league, you have to win 3 points by as many goals as possible.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #15: Oct 04, 2021 09:05:28 am
      Anything with a nil for the other team and a 1 or more for us
      ORCHARD RED

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #16: Oct 05, 2021 09:29:23 pm
      Love a big win as it usually means you can enjoy the game without any stress, but the euphoria of a last minute winner to win 1-0 against Utd, Everton or City feels incredible and gives you a high for the rest of the day.
      ruthcity

• 6,867 posts | 1464 
      Reply #17: Oct 06, 2021 05:55:39 pm
      Are we missing the point about the score? Isn't 3 points the most important? A big win is worth the same points as a normal win. The difference is bragging rights and less insecurity. We would never humiliate or embarrass our opponents and we should always let them score a few goals when we are comfortably ahead.
      lfc across the water
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 3,827 posts | 701 
      Reply #18: Oct 07, 2021 08:45:06 pm
      We lost the title in 1989 on goals scored. If we win a game 1-0, and our rivals win 4-0 on the same weekend, both have the 3 points, but they have a 3 goal swing in their favour. Last season, we had a 4 goal cushion over Leicester going into the final day of the season, so all we had to do was win our game to be in the top 4. In a tight race, things like that make a big difference. 
      UncleBob
      • Spotify Bob
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,135 posts | 567 
      Reply #19: Oct 07, 2021 10:10:21 pm
      2-0 for me.
      1-0 and I have no nails left.
      4-3 and I have no nails left.

Obviously I would prefer a 3-0 or 4-0 but I think 2-0 is a perfect score.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,912 posts | 8429 
      Reply #20: Oct 09, 2021 05:37:31 pm

Not so much the nails, put the legs take a pounding from all the jumping up and down celebrating
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,577 posts | 6638 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #21: Oct 09, 2021 10:47:56 pm
      5-0 can sit back and watch in peace and look forward to reading the headline - Another 5 Star performance from The Reds!
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,659 posts | 3670 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #22: Oct 10, 2021 10:21:08 am
      A win is a win.

Quick Reply