Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v Man City?

Alisson Becker
      2 (2.2%)
      James Milner
      1 (1.1%)
      Virgil van Dijk
      0 (0%)
      Joel Matip
      0 (0%)
      Andy Robertson
      1 (1.1%)
       Fabinho
      0 (0%)
      Jordan Henderson
      0 (0%)
      Curtis Jones
      0 (0%)
      Diogo Jota
      0 (0%)
      Sadio Mane
      1 (1.1%)
      Mohammed Salah
      88 (94.6%)
      Joe Gomez
      0 (0%)
      Roberto Firmino
      0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 93

Voting closed: Oct 07, 2021 06:24:40 pm

Liverpool 2-2 Manchester City: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 23252 times
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,821 posts | 4920 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Re: Liverpool 2-2 Manchester City: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #736: Oct 03, 2021 10:58:08 pm
      You're in for a treat mate.

I've called it the best goal I've ever seen and I know probably still high from the excitement of it tonight but I can't remember going as mad for a goal in along time.

Very similar to the one he got against Spuds back in ‘18’, but this was against world class defenders today, had this been Messi the world would be saying ‘oh not him again ‘, for me now Mo is the best in the world right now, Nine goals in nine games is simply world class, there is no one I can think of who is better right now, no one.

Y  N  W  A

Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #737: Oct 03, 2021 11:01:06 pm
      F**k, watching MOTD2, how the f**k did Fabs miss that chance! That was the winner right there!!!

I thunk he took too long, should have poweredit first time insread of a touch then setting himself, that might be harsh? And credit to Rodri on the block
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,053 posts | 82 
      Reply #738: Oct 03, 2021 11:02:06 pm
      We also seem to have our defensive problem back. The sample is still small, but City and Chelsea got only 3 goals, while we got 6.
      CT_LFC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,782 posts | 1395 
      Reply #739: Oct 03, 2021 11:07:06 pm
      I thunk he took too long, should have poweredit first time insread of a touch then setting himself, that might be harsh? And credit to Rodri on the block

One -timing it with his left foot in a tight angle is asking a lot of a DM. The issue is he didn’t elevate the shot.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      Reply #740: Oct 03, 2021 11:16:12 pm
      One -timing it with his left foot in a tight angle is asking a lot of a DM. The issue is he didn’t elevate the shot.

Its not Fred its Fab hes scored belters from 30 yards, if he powers that first time we win 3 2 imho

And I find it shocking that were saying a pro footballer and one of Fabs standing should not be expected to hit a ball first time on his weaker foot. Its rife in the pro game these days, players using the other foot for nothing more then standing on
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,300 posts | 3869 
      Reply #741: Oct 03, 2021 11:20:12 pm
      Its not Fred its Fab hes scored belters from 30 yards, if he powers that first time we win 3 2 imho

And I find it shocking that were saying a pro footballer and one of Fabs standing should not be expected to hit a ball first time on his weaker foot. Its rife in the pro game these days, players using the other foot for nothing more then standing on

Fab was F***ing knackered - he was struggling to even run. The chance fell to the wrong player unfortunately
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      Reply #742: Oct 03, 2021 11:23:58 pm
      Fab was f**king knackered - he was struggling to even run. The chance fell to the wrong player unfortunately

He didnt have to run 30 yards around 4 players so not sure why tiredness would be an issue in smashing the ball from a few feet out?

I wouldnt call him the wrong man hes well able to score, if it fell to Robbo then Id say it fell to the wrong man
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #743: Oct 03, 2021 11:32:06 pm
      We got away with Mahrez and DeBruyne missing penalties too so it's not like we didn't have our share of luck as well.

Missing a penalty is a bit different to having a chance millimetres away from fully crossing the line and then having another line clearance after an effort inside the 6 yard box. Penalties are 50-50, you either score or you miss, the chances they got away with would be impossible to decide the odds for and probably won’t happen again for a long time.

Yet we turn up and give them a proper game!!

Shame we only turned up for 45mins, play like we did in the 2nd half for the full 90 and I think it would have been 3 points for us.

Deflected 2nd goal and a line clearance in the final mins. Despite them battering us for the first half, they were lucky to leave with a point.
      « Last Edit: Oct 03, 2021 11:38:58 pm by 7-King Kenny-7 »
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,021 posts | 2742 
      Reply #744: Oct 03, 2021 11:39:50 pm

Yep, I think he thought he had longer than he did. If he was more aware he would have either struck it first time or at least smashed it with a bit of height if he did take a touch.

Summed up his game though unfortunately, a rare shocker for Fab but I'm sure he'll be back on it after the internationals (if he's allowed to play that is!)
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,208 posts | 1503 
      Reply #745: Oct 03, 2021 11:40:34 pm
      Well my stream crashed on every goal .almost like it was by design.
      Watched motd and Mo’s goal was incredible. His assist pretty good as well. Manes finish clinical.
      Millie like loads said, including me, should have been hooked at half time. Probably Curtis for Keita as well.
      If Milner gets across to cover Foden he ain’t scoring. If Matip either gets more behind the shot or leaves it alone, debruyn doesn’t score. Think we were unlucky not to win it. And if only Fab dinks it over Dias leg, we do 🤷‍♂️
      Off and buts, but we still in the mix and better than most. Players coming back from injury so things looking good. With Mo on form, anything can happen 😊
      My motm !
      Richard88
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 399 posts | 145 
      • John 3:16
      Reply #746: Oct 03, 2021 11:47:21 pm
      Think the RB cover is probably the biggest issue in the squad at the moment. Gomez isn't comfortable out there and whilst Milner can do a job against some teams, players like Foden will likely get the better of him and he can't really do the job 3 times a week for a few weeks if Trent has a long term injury.

As it looks like Neco hasn't developed quite as we'd have liked, I think we should have tried to move him on and signed someone in the Tsimikas price range to cover Trent.
      How often will Milner be up against players like Foden who get the service that he does? Milner handled Zaha masterfully let's not forget and he's harder to play against than the majority of PL wingers.
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,838 posts | 701 
      Reply #747: Oct 03, 2021 11:59:45 pm
      Quote from Richard 88
      Looking ahead we go to Watford in the early Saturday kickoff with a chance to go 2 points clear at the top. Hopefully we take care of business.

And you do realise how difficult that game is going to be, don't you? It finished 0-3 last time. Throw in the Brazil issues, and their latest new manager, and all the ingredients are there for more points dropped. Alisson won't be playing that game if he goes to Brazil to sit on the bench, their last game doesn't finish until less than 36 hours before our next. That's before you consider the travelling involved. If he doesn't go to Brazil, who knows what happens next. Fortunately Kelleher is ready to step up if required.

The atmosphere was flatter than expected today. I'm not blaming anyone for it, but  I think playing into the Kop first half throws us all a bit psychologically. So when it happens and we don't fly out of the blocks, the atmosphere drops very quickly. Laugh of the day was the City fan chants about Milner. We all know why he left them, even if like the rest of their club, they have a short memory.

I wonder where all the talk of "classic" comes from. The first half was one sided, the second was a battle, but it was more of a slugfest than a classic. Milner would have considered himself unlucky to be booked for a foul by Hendo, but talk of the crowd influencing the ref's decision, is best reserved for second rate pundits who are there for who they are, rather than what they've done. Plus if he got another yellow, we would have had to take other players off, and the rest of the game would be a repeat of the first half. Who wanted that?

Salah then took them all on by himself and probably scored the goal of the season, which deserved to be the winner. But the Fabinho miss makes your heart sink. Hopefully it won't be too important at the end of the season.
      harrydunn08
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,915 posts | 957 
      Reply #748: Oct 04, 2021 02:37:36 am
      Probably a fair result all things considered.  City were on top in the first half, but created very few clear cut chances.  We were the better side in the 2nd, but gave away 2 sloppy goals.  We were extremely fortunate to finish with all 11 -- Milner arguably should have had 3 yellow cards and somehow escaped with only 1. 

In the grand scheme of things, we sit 2nd only 1 point behind Chelsea and we are sitting pretty in our CL group.  I'm happy with where we are and still have complete faith we will be in the race all the way to the end. 
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,049 posts | 6294 
      Reply #749: Oct 04, 2021 03:52:18 am
      Been nice to have had a midfield for this one. I suppose I should be happy with a point considering how sh*t Hendo and Fab were.

And I must say I sure hope the loss of a step by Virg is just rust, it’s starting to get a bit concerning.

Right spot, Mo is the best player in the world. It’s not even debatable. Well taken goal by Sadio, surely has to help his confidence.

Thought Jota and Bobby were both taking up space. Against a team like City we need to have 3 potent attackers and tonight we didn’t.

Oh and I’m done with the Milly at RB experiment. Honestly would have rather seen Gomez at RB and Milly in for Hendo.

Anyway, that’s just my sure to be unpopular take on the game. But like I said, considering how sh*t we were in a lot of ways, I guess a point isn’t that bad.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,663 posts | 2657 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #750: Oct 04, 2021 04:35:21 am
      I think on reflection a draw the right result even though you could of stole in with Fabinho in the latter stages. However! most certainly should of been down to 10 men so you lot! very much got away with one there.

Only saw MOTD so not easy to get a true assessment of the game. Looked like you got battered in the first half then came good in second. Milner struggled to keep up with the pace as this game was fast and furious which was great on the eye. It's fair to say Folden ran him ragged and made him look extremely poor today. Probably had his last contract at this level but still, a good servant for his career at Liverpool.

I don't know what it is but watching Liverpool - City. & Chavs play each other this year are matches you simply can't miss. Was gutted I couldn't watch the whole game.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,049 posts | 6294 
      Reply #751: Oct 04, 2021 04:46:52 am
      I think on reflection a draw the right result even though you could of stole in with Fabinho in the latter stages. However! most certainly should of been down to 10 men so you lot! very much got away with one there.

Only saw MOTD so not easy to get a true assessment of the game. Looked like you got battered in the first half then came good in second. Milner struggled to keep up with the pace as this game was fast and furious which was great on the eye. It's fair to say Folden ran him ragged and made him look extremely poor today. Probably had his last contract at this level but still, a good servant for his career at Liverpool.

I don't know what it is but watching Liverpool - City. & Chavs play each other this year are matches you simply can't miss. Was gutted I couldn't watch the whole game.

Milner got the ball before the player fell over him. Not a yellow the way I saw it.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,663 posts | 2657 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #752: Oct 04, 2021 04:53:35 am
      Milner got the ball before the player fell over him. Not a yellow the way I saw it.

Obviously a opinion based on having your rose tinted glasses on. I'll let Refs watch at 11.30 am today to decide which one of us is right.  ;D

I'll have you a £20 charity bet who's right if you want? Ref watch decide who's right. We on?
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 11,660 posts | 3670 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #753: Oct 04, 2021 05:35:04 am
      Obviously a opinion based on having your rose tinted glasses on. I'll let Refs watch at 11.30 am today to decide which one of us is right.  ;D

I'll have you a £20 charity bet who's right if you want? Ref watch decide who's right. We on?

Yes, we were a little lucky with that foul but we stole nothing.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,663 posts | 2657 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #754: Oct 04, 2021 05:39:13 am
      Yes, we were a little lucky with that foul but we stole nothing.

He's not took my bet yet can you delete first comment.  ;D
      I didn't state you stole anything, I said could of.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,821 posts | 4920 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #755: Oct 04, 2021 07:00:23 am
      Fab was f**king knackered - he was struggling to even run. The chance fell to the wrong player unfortunately

Agree, Fab was off kilter for sure, had it been Mane in that position it’s a goal, natural instinct to score where Fab’s instinct is to defend, I’ve said this before we need another DM to cover for Fab, I think Joe could be that cover, he could adapt his game to suit, he can defend really well , can obviously tackle, he is quick, very quick and he can read the game well too, to most of us he’s wasted as RB cover, square pegs and round holes is all you need to think about, but at DM it’s a better fit imo, we have seen Hendo, Milner & even the now departed Gini covering but all square pegs for me, but a Joe Gomez in there I think would be a extra string to his bow and free up those who are more suited to play further forward, and with training and game time in that position he could save the club a few million into the bargain.

Y  N  W  A
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,208 posts | 1503 
      Reply #756: Oct 04, 2021 07:47:24 am

Agree, Fab was off kilter for sure, had it been Mane in that position it’s a goal, natural instinct to score where Fab’s instinct is to defend, I’ve said this before we need another DM to cover for Fab, I think Joe could be that cover, he could adapt his game to suit, he can defend really well , can obviously tackle, he is quick, very quick and he can read the game well too, to most of us he’s wasted as RB cover, square pegs and round holes is all you need to think about, but at DM it’s a better fit imo, we have seen Hendo, Milner & even the now departed Gini covering but all square pegs for me, but a Joe Gomez in there I think would be a extra string to his bow and free up those who are more suited to play further forward, and with training and game time in that position he could save the club a few million into the bargain.

Y  N  W  A

Could he bethe new Gini 😊
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,208 posts | 1503 
      Reply #757: Oct 04, 2021 07:52:10 am
      Everyone raving about Foden 😳 he’s a decent player no doubt, but doing a 36 year old Milner for pace isn’t really a difficult skill is it 🤷‍♂️
      « Last Edit: Oct 04, 2021 10:31:57 am by GERNS »
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,663 posts | 2657 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #758: Oct 04, 2021 08:29:48 am

You've gone quiet FL Red  ;D You've got 3 hours before Ref watch starts. Looks like I've caught you napping.   ;)

Quick Reply