Trending Topics

Next match: Everton v LFC [Premier League] Wed 24th Apr @ 8:00 pm - Pre Match Topic
      Goodison Park

Today is the 23rd of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W11 D4 L10

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v Man City?

Alisson Becker
      2 (2.2%)
      James Milner
      1 (1.1%)
      Virgil van Dijk
      0 (0%)
      Joel Matip
      0 (0%)
      Andy Robertson
      1 (1.1%)
       Fabinho
      0 (0%)
      Jordan Henderson
      0 (0%)
      Curtis Jones
      0 (0%)
      Diogo Jota
      0 (0%)
      Sadio Mane
      1 (1.1%)
      Mohammed Salah
      88 (94.6%)
      Joe Gomez
      0 (0%)
      Roberto Firmino
      0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 93

Voting closed: Oct 07, 2021 06:24:40 pm

Liverpool 2-2 Manchester City: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 23727 times
      Danzel
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,305 posts | 1113 
      Re: Live: Liverpool V Man City
      Reply #690: Oct 03, 2021 07:30:36 pm
      Milner should have walked end of so why if people who could see that coming and called for the change wrong .

For a second yellow? Milner wouldn't have gotten a second yellow as it was Henderson who made the first foul. Guardiola looking like an absolute tit trying to get Milner sent off doesn't change that.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Re: Live: Liverpool V Man City
      Reply #691: Oct 03, 2021 07:31:24 pm
      Ridiculous, isn't it? Cracking game between two of the best sides the league has ever seen. If only people would just appreciate the fact they are watching a good game of football rather than the turgid sh*te the likes of Chelsea and the mancs put on show each weekend.

Yes, we were particularly poor for half an hour during that first half. This is a City side though which had only conceded one goal and 5 shots on target in the seven games they played prior to playing us. We scored twice. We are the only team in the league that can go toe-to-toe with this lot and have the courage to go at them. Of course it's disappointing to lose a lead twice and both goals were avoidable, but rather than shitting on our own players, applaud the opposition and just admit that the likes of Foden and Bernardo Silva are absolute quality. City will always create chances against any team, certainly when they're on it like they were today.

The vast majority of the people on here wanted Milner subbed off at half time for Gomez. Yet Milner was instrumental in us getting a foothold in that second half and improved massively. The lad is 35 years old and has seen it all. He has been on a yellow so many times in tough games for us. How many times has he actually seen a red though? He knows what he is doing and so does Klopp. Have a little faith in the lads out there on the pitch, just like Klopp has. Yet armchair Joe wanted him gone. How did Gomez get on that second half?

The other discussion about midfield options is getting boring too. Klopp had two fit midfielders on the bench and decided against subbing any of them on. He had plenty of options to shake things up (Firmino as a #10 with Jota up top, Keita or Ox on for any of the three out there). He clearly preferred the three on the pitch and just because airmchair Joe thinks otherwise, that doesn't mean it's actually the right call. The kneejerking in here during the game hit all time highs.

And we were a desperate Rodri block in stoppage time from winning the game anyway. It was a fantastic spectacle and we're in good early position re the title race.
      Danzel
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,305 posts | 1113 
      Re: Liverpool 2-2 Manchester City: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #692: Oct 03, 2021 07:34:44 pm
      Keita or AOC coming on against Citeh, in that game.  Sorry, no thanks armchair Joe, think that was the right call from him

For the record, I think it was the right call too due to the pace of the game and it just being frantic alround, the issue is people claiming we didn't have options on the bench when we had two fit midfielders sat on there and even Minamino who could have come on as an #8  or #10. We do have options. Claiming otherwise is completely ignoring half our midfield options.
      sore monad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,004 posts | 521 
      Reply #693: Oct 03, 2021 07:38:14 pm
      Not good for the nerves that. Great second half.

First half we were sh*t obviously. One of the worst 45 mins I've seen from Hendo in particular. But Klopp obviously gave them all a rocket at half time and we were far more like it second half.

Mo obvious MOTM - that is one of his best goals for us, maybe the best. Thought Matip was our next best player, although I wish he'd stop putting his hands behind his back (might even have been able to block DeBruyne's shot better if had his arms by his sides). Virgil was throwing too many longs balls forward, would like to see him try and pass or carry it out more a la Matip. Milner was lucky to stay on - solid player but Foden had him for pace. Was a relief when Gomez came on, which should really have happened sooner. Alisson saved our bacon a couple of times.

Draw a fair enough result. City are still the side to beat to the title. So a draw despite having half an hour off in the first half is ok. Need to just tighten up a bit defensively and stay at it in terms of intensity for the full 90 in these big games.
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,900 posts | 818 
      • Formerly known as Vtorres, Vsuarez, and Vsterling.
      Reply #694: Oct 03, 2021 07:38:38 pm
      What a difference a half makes.

Can't believe we didn't walk away with the 3 points in the end which I didn't think id be saying.

Feel for Salah not much more he could have done to get us the win, we really need Thiago back to help us see out games when we in the lead.

All in all a decent result, still unbeaten, we keep going!
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #695: Oct 03, 2021 07:39:18 pm
      When we ballsed up vs Brentford last week, we had the midweek game to look forward to and help us forget about it. Now we have a 2 week wait because of another stupid and highly irritating international break.
      rossyred
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,255 posts | 1659 
      Reply #696: Oct 03, 2021 07:42:03 pm
      When we ballsed up vs Brentford last week, we had the midweek game to look forward to and help us forget about it. Now we have a 2 week wait because of another stupid and highly irritating international break.

Not helped by Sat dinner kick off and Brazilians major doubts as playing Friday morning
      TameImpala
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,269 posts | 1216 
      • He's five foot seven, he's football heaven
      Reply #697: Oct 03, 2021 07:43:15 pm
      To be fair I'd have taken a draw at half time going off the way we played. Much better second half but it was still a pretty even game. If City went ahead twice instead of us we'd probably be a lot happier.

Tell you what though, without Mo Salah we almost certainly lose that game. The man is the best player on the planet at the minute
      Breeding-Reds-In-The-434
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,148 posts | 1090 
      Reply #698: Oct 03, 2021 07:45:59 pm
      This my be the best I've felt after a draw in sometime. And that's saying something, being we were in front of the Kopp. To recover after that first half without influential pieces like TAA, Harvey, and Thiago in the squad was impressive. Mane looks in good form all of a sudden, Salah in the form of his life, and VVD working his way back to peak form are all great signs going forward.

This City team is amazing, and we went toe to toe with them in the 2nd half. We are going to be in this title fight until the end. I love it.

YNWA
      AlwaysTheKop
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,463 posts | 1465 
      • CHAMP19NS.
      Reply #699: Oct 03, 2021 07:46:21 pm
      They've made an official complaint that one of our fans spat at their backroom staff!!  :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,030 posts | 1973 
      Reply #700: Oct 03, 2021 07:51:27 pm
      Just got back from the match so I haven’t seen any highlights or replays yet so forgive me if I say anything incorrect but here’s my take on things.

Wasn't surprised with the line up after thrashing porto in midweek but it’s not what I would have gone with personally. Milner at right back was my main worry but I wanted naby in the midfield for some much needed energy and Bobby upfront who holds the ball up better than Jota in my opinion.

Anyway the game starts and I thought for the first 15-20 mins we played well. Decent tempo but we weren’t creating anything or troubling ederson. But it felt we were on top and were the better team.

Then I don’t know what happened but our tempo levels dropped and city began to dominate the game. Nobody could get a grip of bernando who in my opinion ran the game from start to finish. Hate that little rat and just wanted somebody to wipe him clean out. I thought our midfield three were poor, in particular Jones who is nowhere near this level, and fabinho who I love to bits but he just wasn’t with it today at all - he stunk the place out.

It felt like city began to target milner and foden got in behind a couple of times. Milner was always going to get booked just to make things worse. Was it a penalty where milner nudged foden in the box? It looked like it to me and I was very surprised that VAR didn’t intervene. City were wasteful and had they had a proper Centre forward I think we would have gone into half time a couple of goals down to be honest.

At half time I was surprised klopp didn’t make changes. I couldn’t believe Gomez didn’t come on but the midfield needed changing too.

That said, the second half was much, much better. We picked the pace up again but this time we were starting to trouble ederson. Jota got a shot off within a couple of minutes of the half starting which showed immediately our intent.

Milner settled back into the game and had a good second half to be fair. He made a foul just before he was subbed so klopp brought him off at the right time because one more and he was getting a red.

Salah showed why he is the best player in the league with two moments of brilliance. His assist to mane was quality but I can’t wait to see his goal again because I reckon it’s goal of the season already.

My only criticisms were that The goals we conceded seemed to be very sloppy, and especially the first. Foden appeared to have far too much time so I presume Gomez was out of position. We led twice but were unable to see the game out. And finally I don’t think klopp got his decisions right today. I just think he needed to tinker with the midfield and the game was there for the taking. I’ve got no doubt that if Thiago had played we would have won that match.

But overall a draw was probably a fair result. It was a good effort in the second half by our lads and we were unlucky not to win the game (how the f**k did Fabinho not score?!).  Still unbeaten in the league and we showed we can compete with them and to be honest we’re every bit as good as them. We desperately need some luck with injuries because if we keep our first 13-15 players fit then we will win this league. Again.

rossyred

• 9,255 posts | 1659 
      Reply #701: Oct 03, 2021 07:51:36 pm
      They've made an official complaint that one of our fans spat at their backroom staff!!  :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Wasn't Carra was it ? Long way from the commentary box
      rossyred

• 9,255 posts | 1659 
      Reply #702: Oct 03, 2021 07:54:10 pm
      Just got back from the match so I haven’t seen any highlights or replays yet so forgive me if I say anything incorrect but here’s my take on things.

Wasn't surprised with the line up after thrashing porto in midweek but it’s not what I would have gone with personally. Milner at right back was my main worry but I wanted naby in the midfield for some much needed energy and Bobby upfront who holds the ball up better than Jota in my opinion.

Anyway the game starts and I thought for the first 15-20 mins we played well. Decent tempo but we weren’t creating anything or troubling ederson. But it felt we were on top and were the better team.

Then I don’t know what happened but our tempo levels dropped and city began to dominate the game. Nobody could get a grip of bernando who in my opinion ran the game from start to finish. Hate that little rat and just wanted somebody to wipe him clean out. I thought our midfield three were poor, in particular Jones who is nowhere near this level, and fabinho who I love to bits but he just wasn’t with it today at all - he stunk the place out.

It felt like city began to target milner and foden got in behind a couple of times. Milner was always going to get booked just to make things worse. Was it a penalty where milner nudged foden in the box? It looked like it to me and I was very surprised that VAR didn’t intervene. City were wasteful and had they had a proper Centre forward I think we would have gone into half time a couple of goals down to be honest.

At half time I was surprised klopp didn’t make changes. I couldn’t believe Gomez didn’t come on but the midfield needed changing too.

That said, the second half was much, much better. We picked the pace up again but this time we were starting to trouble ederson. Jota got a shot off within a couple of minutes of the half starting which showed immediately our intent.

Milner settled back into the game and had a good second half to be fair. He made a foul just before he was subbed so klopp brought him off at the right time because one more and he was getting a red.

Salah showed why he is the best player in the league with two moments of brilliance. His assist to mane was quality but I can’t wait to see his goal again because I reckon it’s goal of the season already.

My only criticisms were that The goals we conceded seemed to be very sloppy, and especially the first. Foden appeared to have far too much time so I presume Gomez was out of position. We led twice but were unable to see the game out. And finally I don’t think klopp got his decisions right today. I just think he needed to tinker with the midfield and the game was there for the taking. I’ve got no doubt that if Thiago had played we would have won that match.

But overall a draw was probably a fair result. It was a good effort in the second half by our lads and we were unlucky not to win the game (how the f**k did Fabinho not score?!).  Still unbeaten in the league and we showed we can compete with them and to be honest we’re not gonna every bit as good as them. We desperately need some luck with injuries because if we keep our first 13-15 players fit then we will win this league. Again.

Milner very lucky to escape after that foul but was outside the box. Also should of walked before he was subbed
      UncleBob
      • Spotify Bob
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,135 posts | 567 
      Reply #703: Oct 03, 2021 07:57:13 pm
      Good game: decent point. As much as I prefer to win our home games it’s 2 points more than we got last season from Chelsea and city.

I’ll take our start to the season.
      Still unbeaten and in a great position going into the winter months.

I could nitpick at the game today but it was thoroughly entertaining so I won’t bother.

Watford away, followed by a trip to athletic Madrid and then our trilogy of away games ends with old Trafford.

Looking forward to them all.
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,518 posts | 1660 
      • YNWA
      Reply #704: Oct 03, 2021 08:08:09 pm
      For the record, I think it was the right call too due to the pace of the game and it just being frantic alround, the issue is people claiming we didn't have options on the bench when we had two fit midfielders sat on there and even Minamino who could have come on as an #8  or #10. We do have options. Claiming otherwise is completely ignoring half our midfield options.

We could put the players wives on the bench and we'd 'have options'.
      Salah10
      • Banned

• 1,224 posts | 200 
      Reply #705: Oct 03, 2021 08:11:07 pm
      We could put the players wives on the bench and we'd 'have options'.

;D exactly.

Virj going in goal should we lose Ali after we've made three subs is an "option".
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,605 posts | 3914 
      Reply #706: Oct 03, 2021 08:28:25 pm
      What a F***ing game of football.
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,286 posts | 763 
      Reply #707: Oct 03, 2021 08:31:27 pm
      Another top game, pity about not achieving all three points !
      -LFC-
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,205 posts | 1208 
      Reply #708: Oct 03, 2021 08:32:45 pm
      Our goals were incredible but it's such a pity we didn't slow the pace and control the game a bit better after going 2-1 up. We left ourselves far too exposed on the counter.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #709: Oct 03, 2021 08:32:48 pm
      On the plus side, I think the Chavs were the only side not to drop points this week out of the teams at the top? And that was only because Saints had a player sent off.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,475 posts | 4821 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #710: Oct 03, 2021 08:37:20 pm
      Still can’t believe we lost him on a free - this was the perfect game for Wijnaldum

No matter what anyone thinks of Gini, having him go for F**k all, which, in turn, lost us the ability to even sell to buy, of which we hear is such a F***ing great policy, was F***ing sh*te.

Anyway, City. They sound loads on a striker in January. Defo.
      johnlfcreds2010
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 987 posts | 67 
      Reply #711: Oct 03, 2021 08:38:21 pm
      Thought it was a brilliant game but our midfield was too soft , our defence was a bit sleepy on the right and Salah is on a different planet .
      Richard88
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 399 posts | 145 
      • John 3:16
      Reply #712: Oct 03, 2021 08:41:00 pm
      Looking ahead we go to Watford in the early Saturday kickoff with a chance to go 2 points clear at the top with United and Chelsea facing tough trips to Leicester and Brentford respectively. Hopefully we take care of business.

Quick Reply