Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 27th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W13 D5 L11

Newcastle Utd thread.

Read 44050 times
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,751 posts | 6722 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Re: Newcastle take over complete
      Reply #69: Oct 09, 2021 10:52:38 pm
      Newcastle's new home and away kit  :D

Dadorious
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #70: Oct 10, 2021 02:27:58 am

So I'm not your mate then Dado?  :lmao:

Ahhhhh Hungry Jax  :D

Offcourse you are mate!

FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,330 posts | 6384 
      Reply #71: Oct 11, 2021 02:51:42 pm
      It's basically the same set up as DIC, a newly founded investment company fronting for the state. Saudi want to go the same way as Dubai, UAE, Qatar and bring in tourism, events etc and they see this as the best way to sell the country to world - "sportswashing"

Interesting to hear about the hold-up of the deal last year was all about tv rights in Saudi Arabia. The Premier League was shown free-to-air over there, no longer, deal done to sell tv rights to Bein Sports and the takeover can happen.

I could have sworn I read that Bein was selling their sports broadcasting off? Maybe I've made that up in my head.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,534 posts | 1773 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #72: Oct 11, 2021 03:04:08 pm
      I look forward to the geordies having a decent team again tbh.

If they get a decent attacking team akin to the 90s style It will be a good watch and some great games with us again.

And its been noted that the FFP system now, means they are restricted in a way that city & cheatski were not. (I think )
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,449 posts | 4584 
      Reply #73: Oct 11, 2021 03:23:17 pm
      I look forward to the geordies having a decent team again tbh.

If they get a decent attacking team akin to the 90s style It will be a good watch and some great games with us again.

And its been noted that the FFP system now, means they are restricted in a way that city & cheatski were not. (I think )

Mike Ashley had Newcastle in a rude financial health.. the new owners could spend up to a £1 billion and won’t face any penalties fir 3 seasons…

Can see Aramco splattered all over as sponsors..

They are going to be huge..

I’m hearing the reason why Arsenal, Liverpool, Tottenham & Man United tried to veto the sale was all 4 clubs at some point had representatives in Saudi Arabia looking for investment in the respective clubs only to be knocked back.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 16,990 posts | 2710 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #74: Oct 11, 2021 03:29:36 pm
      I could have sworn I read that Bein was selling their sports broadcasting off? Maybe I've made that up in my head.

On recent post that would make sense  :f_whistle:
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,534 posts | 1773 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #75: Oct 11, 2021 03:48:30 pm
      Mike Ashley had Newcastle in a rude financial health.. the new owners could spend up to a £1 billion and won’t face any penalties fir 3 seasons…

I’m hearing the reason why Arsenal, Liverpool, Tottenham & Man United tried to veto the sale was all 4 clubs at some point had representatives in Saudi Arabia looking for investment in the respective clubs only to be knocked back.

AH. I.C all interesting news to me. I see snippets on twitter and such. but never sure what is Bull and what is fact. ;D
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #76: Oct 11, 2021 04:46:16 pm

And you’re hearing that from where exactly?

All 19 teams opposed it.
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,993 posts | 3422 
      Reply #77: Oct 11, 2021 05:46:12 pm
      Seen all this stuff about Newcastle being able to spend over £500mil but have to ask where they heck is that coming from when the last accounts had them making a loss 🤷‍♂️
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,993 posts | 3422 
      Reply #78: Oct 11, 2021 05:47:45 pm

Or the reason is because of their horrific human rights issues and the recent state sponsered murder which was authorised by the guy who now owns Newcastle

But maybe like the Taliban we need to give them a chance 🙄
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,210 posts | 8569 
      Reply #79: Oct 12, 2021 12:18:26 am

BT Sport is possibly being sold off to DAZN
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,210 posts | 8569 
      Reply #80: Oct 12, 2021 12:20:53 am
      Seen all this stuff about Newcastle being able to spend over £500mil but have to ask where they heck is that coming from when the last accounts had them making a loss 🤷‍♂️

Erm the new owners!!!!

Bruce will get the heave-ho before the new transfer window opens, new manager in and away we go with the ridiculous bids.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,534 posts | 1773 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #81: Oct 12, 2021 12:14:46 pm
      Erm the new owners!!!!

Bruce will get the heave-ho before the new transfer window opens, new manager in and away we go with the ridiculous bids.

aye just a drop in the ocean of the 320bill they are worth. ;D

And no chance they giving any of that to Bruce he will be gone this week.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,330 posts | 6384 
      Reply #82: Oct 12, 2021 12:56:38 pm
      BT Sport is possibly being sold off to DAZN

Oh ok, that’s what I read. 👍🏼

Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,993 posts | 3422 
      Reply #83: Oct 12, 2021 01:15:21 pm
      Erm the new owners!!!!

The claim is that they can spend fortunes without the new owners putting money in

With the current financial restrictions the owners can’t just spent £500mil
      ruthcity
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,937 posts | 1479 
      Reply #84: Oct 12, 2021 01:27:52 pm
      We’ll be selling Mo Salah to them for a ton of money. £800m
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #85: Oct 12, 2021 01:31:44 pm
      The claim is that they can spend fortunes without the new owners putting money in

Expect to see lots of dodgy sponsorship deals like City.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,210 posts | 8569 
      Reply #86: Oct 12, 2021 03:55:32 pm
      Expect to see lots of dodgy sponsorship deals like City.

State owned airline Saudia is already
      expected to be the first sponsorship deal replacing Sports Direct as stadium sponsor.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,374 posts | 2821 
      Reply #87: Oct 12, 2021 03:58:13 pm

They would never have taken over if they couldn't spend massive, massive amounts.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,534 posts | 1773 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #88: Oct 12, 2021 04:15:43 pm
      Newcastle have been balancing the books for a few seasons, that apparently gives them some sort of credit with FFP, so the new owners can spend big.

( I think ) ?
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #89: Oct 12, 2021 06:25:57 pm
      Newcastle have been balancing the books for a few seasons, that apparently gives them some sort of credit with FFP, so the new owners can spend big.

( I think ) ?

Would be surprised if they have been balancing the books, especially in the last 18 months. They’ve spent a fair amount of money in the last few years and I expect they have quite a significant wage bill too.

But I’m sure their sponsorship deals alone will cover any expenditure going forward.

Obviously there’s a lot of talk about them spending money and becoming a threat but let’s not forget, Everton have been happily spending 40/50mill each on multiple players over the last few years, paying big wages and they’ve got a mid table finish to show for it and that’s with Ancelotti in charge. Money doesn’t guarantee success like it used to because the competition is a lot stronger now.
      For Newcastle to genuinely become a threat I think it will take a good 5-10 years for it to happen. It’s not like when City and the Chavs got their money, now even the likes of Fulham and Villa will spend over 100mill on players without a second thought. It took City about 5 years to win the league (on goal difference in the final minute of the season) and they are still failing in Europe so it’s only going to be harder for Newcastle.
      « Last Edit: Oct 12, 2021 06:32:04 pm by 7-King Kenny-7 »
      -LFC-
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,213 posts | 1221 
      Reply #90: Oct 12, 2021 07:10:55 pm
      Would be surprised if they have been balancing the books, especially in the last 18 months. They’ve spent a fair amount of money in the last few years and I expect they have quite a significant wage bill too.

But I’m sure their sponsorship deals alone will cover any expenditure going forward.

Obviously there’s a lot of talk about them spending money and becoming a threat but let’s not forget, Everton have been happily spending 40/50mill each on multiple players over the last few years, paying big wages and they’ve got a mid table finish to show for it and that’s with Ancelotti in charge. Money doesn’t guarantee success like it used to because the competition is a lot stronger now.
      For Newcastle to genuinely become a threat I think it will take a good 5-10 years for it to happen. It’s not like when City and the Chavs got their money, now even the likes of Fulham and Villa will spend over 100mill on players without a second thought. It took City about 5 years to win the league (on goal difference in the final minute of the season) and they are still failing in Europe so it’s only going to be harder for Newcastle.

I'd agree with that. I think with 5-10 years of big investment and crucially a very good manager who has a long-term vision for the club Newcastle could plausibly emerge as contenders for the major honours. But I don't think it is quite as easy as it seems as the footballing landscape is much different now with far more money even for middle-of-the-road clubs. The bigger clubs are more numerous and will be difficult to displace.

Also the more money that clubs have spent, the more expensive mistakes we've seen in transfers and wages being spunked up the wall, the more managers we've seen employed without any real sense they are there for the long-haul etc. If you get it right you can be like City but get it wrong, and bear in mind Newcastle is famously a poisoned chalice, and you could be like the bitters. By definition the more there are of these super wealthy clubs the harder it gets. You also become a target for others.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 16,990 posts | 2710 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #91: Oct 12, 2021 09:52:11 pm
      Can't see it being 5-10 years, more like 5 in my opinion. I think the trophy cabinet will have at least one trophy in it at the end of that period. They'll be no holding them back was they break FFP rules with all knife of sponsorships coming in to buy 40/50 million players, with a couple of more higher profile players when they start climbing the league.

The only thing I'm dreading is Shearer's comments in MOTD. However, I'm still please for their fans.

Quick Reply