Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 26th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W15 D7 L2

Newcastle Utd thread.

Read 43934 times
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Re: Newcastle take over complete
      Reply #230: Nov 06, 2021 06:13:20 pm
      just watching their game now and its not a manager they need its a miracle
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,047 posts | 2099 
      Reply #231: Nov 08, 2021 03:28:07 pm
      Eddie Howe has taken the job.

I'll be honest, despite the goodwill towards Howe by many sections of the English press and football fanbase I'm unconvinced by him. For all the fairytale narratives surrounding Bournemouth's rise to the Premier League its hard not to overlook the fact that such success (and maintaining their league status) was bankrolled by a significant amount. I think their net spend was more than double our net spend at one point.

Let's see how he does.
      CT_LFC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,808 posts | 1402 
      Reply #232: Nov 08, 2021 03:37:07 pm
      Eddie Howe has taken the job.

I'll be honest, despite the goodwill towards Howe by many sections of the English press and football fanbase I'm unconvinced by him. For all the fairytale narratives surrounding Bournemouth's rise to the Premier League its hard not to overlook the fact that such success (and maintaining their league status) was bankrolled by a significant amount. I think their net spend was more than double our net spend at one point.

Let's see how he does.

Other than Ake, have they bought anyone who turned out good for them? When you look at their transfer history from 16/17 to 19/20 it's truly shocking who they bought and how much they paid for it.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,047 posts | 2099 
      Reply #233: Nov 08, 2021 04:32:13 pm
      Other than Ake, have they bought anyone who turned out good for them? When you look at their transfer history from 16/17 to 19/20 it's truly shocking who they bought and how much they paid for it.

Yeah it is!

(Still thinking of that Ibe sale!
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,177 posts | 8552 
      Reply #234: Nov 08, 2021 04:36:26 pm

Solanke from us, still banging goals for the cherries.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #235: Nov 08, 2021 06:26:47 pm

Still banging them in? This is the first season he’s really proved vital for them. 46 games before their relegation he managed 4 goals.
      Last season wasn’t too bad with 15 in 40 but he’s hardly been a great buy for them when you consider what else they could’ve gotten with that money.

Still can’t get my head around the Brad Smith signing for 6mill. Ibe was a disaster for them but at the time he did have some potential about him, just didn’t live up to it. But Smith?! Really couldn’t believe that one.
      « Last Edit: Nov 08, 2021 06:31:53 pm by 7-King Kenny-7 »
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,047 posts | 2099 
      Reply #236: Nov 08, 2021 06:56:43 pm
      Still banging them in? This is the first season he’s really proved vital for them. 46 games before their relegation he managed 4 goals.
      Last season wasn’t too bad with 15 in 40 but he’s hardly been a great buy for them when you consider what else they could’ve gotten with that money.

Still can’t get my head around the Brad Smith signing for 6mill. Ibe was a disaster for them but at the time he did have some potential about him, just didn’t live up to it. But Smith?! Really couldn’t believe that one.

We definitely saw Bournemouth coming on that one
      CT_LFC

• 6,808 posts | 1402 
      Reply #237: Nov 08, 2021 07:07:25 pm

Maybe the Championship is his level then, because in 19 PL starts with them he had 3 goals. Right now they're top of the table so will be interesting to see how he does in the PL next year and if he's starting to reach his potential or if the Championship is truly his level.
      CT_LFC

• 6,808 posts | 1402 
      Reply #238: Nov 08, 2021 07:14:06 pm

Ah yes, Brad Smith. No idea who runs their scouting department but for the sake of the team i hope they're all gone.

In the '18/19 transfer window they spent 98M (USD) with very little to show for it, including paying $17M for Sergio Rico who was sold this past summer for $550K
      AlwaysTheKop
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,509 posts | 1476 
      • CHAMP19NS.
      Reply #239: Jan 13, 2022 06:51:02 pm
      £25 million for a 30 year old Wood... and people said I was crazy when I said we could easily get £18 million for Ox.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 16,973 posts | 2709 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #240: Jan 13, 2022 07:07:44 pm
      £25 million for a 30 year old Wood... and people said I was crazy when I said we could easily get £18 million for Ox.

Still think your crazy if you think you can get £18 million for him.  :D
      AlwaysTheKop
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,509 posts | 1476 
      • CHAMP19NS.
      Reply #241: Jan 13, 2022 07:15:58 pm
      Still think your crazy if you think you can get £18 million for him.  :D
      I guess so then ha!
      If Wood is worth £25 mil I think I could even fetch £10 mil for me  :lmao:
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 16,973 posts | 2709 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #242: Jan 13, 2022 07:18:32 pm
      I guess so then ha!
      If Wood is worth £25 mil I think I could even fetch £10 mil for me  :lmao:

Obviously panic buy to avoid relegation and me losing small fortune if Newcastle go down.  :lmao:
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #243: Jan 13, 2022 08:47:01 pm
      Imagine having all that money, talking of signing some quality players, to then not only end up with Trippier, but then paying 25mill for Chris Wood too. Reminds me of the Woy days when we signed Poulsen and went after Carlton Cole.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #244: Jan 13, 2022 10:22:28 pm

some will just look in disgust at that money for him but the owners are doing what they need to do to support their club. this is the big boys league you cant go running to the teacher complaining a team is spending money when we will not
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,928 posts | 3404 
      Reply #245: Jan 13, 2022 10:23:06 pm
      Imagine having all that money, talking of signing some quality players, to then not only end up with Trippier, but then paying 25mill for Chris Wood too. Reminds me of the Woy days when we signed Poulsen and went after Carlton Cole.

Seems they are going after players with release clauses
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,610 posts | 3844 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #246: Jan 14, 2022 10:34:35 am
      Obviously panic buy to avoid relegation and me losing small fortune if Newcastle go down.  :lmao:

Weakening a direct rival in the process.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 16,973 posts | 2709 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #247: Jan 14, 2022 10:43:27 am
      Weakening a direct rival in the process.

I know  ;D be  interesting who they get in to replace him but won't be better as good and probably less money so the club profits from it.
      Norfolk Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,170 posts | 520 
      Reply #248: Jan 14, 2022 01:13:26 pm
      I know  ;D be  interesting who they get in to replace him but won't be better as good and probably less money so the club profits from it.

Keith, I'm sure they could pick up some old rag from your lot.  :lmao:
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 16,973 posts | 2709 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #249: Jan 14, 2022 02:04:34 pm
      Keith, I'm sure they could pick up some old rag from your lot.  :lmao:

Think there’s more OAPs at your place than ours mate.  :lmao:
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,177 posts | 8552 
      Reply #250: Jan 14, 2022 03:27:28 pm
      Imagine having all that money, talking of signing some quality players, to then not only end up with Trippier, but then paying 25mill for Chris Wood too.

It's as if they're already preparing themselves for tge Championship.
      PTU
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,081 posts | 630 
      Reply #251: Jan 26, 2022 11:00:05 am
      After the takeover, their supporters started to get cocky, claiming they would buy the best players.

They bought Kieran Trippier, Chris Wood, and are now linked with Jesse Lingard and Dele Alli...  The best players indeed... :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:
      Salah10
      • Banned

• 1,224 posts | 200 
      Reply #252: Jan 26, 2022 12:14:38 pm
      After the takeover, their supporters started to get cocky, claiming they would buy the best players.

They bought Kieran Trippier, Chris Wood, and are now linked with Jesse Lingard and Dele Alli...  The best players indeed... :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

This is phase one and are actually getting players on board, with money of course, whilst being in the relegation zone.

Give them three to four years and they'll be competing for the title. Another one we need fight again with oil/blood money.

Quick Reply