Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Newcastle Utd thread.

Read 42503 times
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,479 posts | 3285 
      Re: Newcastle take over complete
      Reply #253: Jan 26, 2022 12:18:57 pm
      After the takeover, their supporters started to get cocky, claiming they would buy the best players.

They bought Kieran Trippier, Chris Wood, and are now linked with Jesse Lingard and Dele Alli...  The best players indeed... :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Newcastle won’t ever get near the likes of City and Co regardless of how much money they have
      Salah10
      • Banned

• 1,224 posts | 200 
      Reply #254: Jan 26, 2022 12:19:41 pm
      Newcastle won’t ever get near the likes of City and Co regardless of how much money they have

That's what fsg are hoping. People said the exact same about City.
      PTU
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,079 posts | 630 
      Reply #255: Jan 26, 2022 02:27:15 pm

Yes and no. City went about it the right way, unfortunately. They invested massively in their infrastructure, and recruited experienced people to lead their scouting/recruitment department.

It also helped that they weren't in a relegation fight... City managed to attract Robinho, and his signing was a statement which opened doors for them.
      What kind of message is Newcastle sending with their transfers? Not a positive one.

City also named Mancini as their manager, to attract a higher calibre of players. Newcastle went after Eddie Howe (for the record, I think he's a decent manager, but he's not going to attract players).

Time will tell whether Newcastle manages to reach the top, but I'm definitely not afraid of them yet.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Reply #256: Jan 26, 2022 03:59:56 pm
      Most sensible Newcastle fans understand this is going to be a long term project. That's why they hired Howe and are going after the players they are. They know they have to stave off relegation first, that's goal number one. If they do that, then they can start to bring in a higher profile type of player (and maybe manager as well) and within a couple of years their goal will be Champion's League and then that's when the real spending will begin.

Now if they get relegated....going to be a different story. And honestly that's what I'm hoping for. Because the last thing that we need as a club is another English club that's able to spend a sh*t ton of money (like Chelsea, City and United) vying for the same players that we will want only we are on a shoe-string budget and everyone else isn't. 
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 16,662 posts | 2656 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #257: Jan 26, 2022 05:01:46 pm

What kind of message is Newcastle sending with their transfers? Not a positive one.

City also named Mancini as their manager, to attract a higher calibre of players. Newcastle went after Eddie Howe (for the record, I think he's a decent manager, but he's not going to attract players).

Time will tell whether Newcastle manages to reach the top, but I'm definitely not afraid of them yet.

Howe is there for one reason, to stop them from being relegated ( hopefully ) He’s a short term fix and that is all IMHO.
      It will be a season or two before rival fans need to start at least thinking about them. However, I do believe it will come, it’s just when. I’m envy of them, whether we like it or not ( and most fans don’t ) oil merchant owners is the way forward if you want any type of success for the future. Man City setting the bar at a very high level now and we’re all in catch up mode.

Anyway, short term please please stay up Newcastle so I can cash & collect.  :lmao:
      Norfolk Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,154 posts | 499 
      Reply #258: Jan 26, 2022 05:06:50 pm
      Howe is there for one reason, to stop them from being relegated ( hopefully ) He’s a short term fix and that is all IMHO.
      It will be a season or two before rival fans need to start at least thinking about them. However, I do believe it will come, it’s just when. I’m envy of them, whether we like it or not ( and most fans don’t ) oil merchant owners is the way forward if you want any type of success for the future. Man City setting the bar at a very high level now and we’re all in catch up mode.

Anyway, short term please please stay up Newcastle so I can cash & collect.  :lmao:

Keith is there a cash out option on your bet ?
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #259: Jan 26, 2022 05:09:23 pm

Wouldn't get cocky yet we said the same about Chelsea and City!!

Depends on future managerial choices.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 16,662 posts | 2656 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #260: Jan 26, 2022 05:19:12 pm

Keith is there a cash out option on your bet ?

It’s on Betfair so obviously yes. However, far far to early to be considering that. It’s riding for the foreseeable future.  ;D
      Salah10
      • Banned

• 1,224 posts | 200 
      Reply #261: Jan 26, 2022 06:44:46 pm
      Yes and no. City went about it the right way, unfortunately. They invested massively in their infrastructure, and recruited experienced people to lead their scouting/recruitment department.

It also helped that they weren't in a relegation fight... City managed to attract Robinho, and his signing was a statement which opened doors for them.

Before the investment in City's infustructure there was phase one.

Phase one was Robinho plus a load of signings which are equal to Newcastle's first batch of signings. They're literally going to take citys route. It's already been paved for them.

2008: Nigel De Jong, Wayne Bridge, Jo, Kompany, Ben Haim, SWP and Robinho.

2009: Lescott, Toure, Viera, Tevez, Adebayor, Roque Santa Cruz, Gareth Barry and the nonce.

Notice apart from Robinho and Tevez there were no superstars. They were all the type of player Newcastle are trying to sign now.
      « Last Edit: Jan 26, 2022 08:01:13 pm by Salah10 »
      PTU
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,079 posts | 630 
      Reply #262: Jan 26, 2022 09:46:06 pm

Phase one was Robinho plus a load of signings which are equal to Newcastle's first batch of signings. They're literally going to take citys route. It's already been paved for them.

2009: Lescott, Toure, Viera, Tevez, Adebayor, Roque Santa Cruz, Gareth Barry and the nonce.

Notice apart from Robinho and Tevez there were no superstars. They were all the type of player Newcastle are trying to sign now.

Can't say I agree with your assessment, I'm afraid.

In 2008, Kompany and JĂ´ were both highly rated prospects (JĂ´ ended up being a flop, but there is a reason City paid ~20m for him). SWP, Bridge, Given and Bellamy were very solid PL players.
      The same goes for Adebayor, TourĂŠ, Lescott and Barry that were recruited in 2009.

No, they were not superstars, but they were of a much higher calibre than Chris Wood or Jesse Lingard...

The players Newcastle are signing right now are players they would have targeted before the takeover.
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,300 posts | 3869 
      Reply #263: Jan 26, 2022 10:05:28 pm
      Can't say I agree with your assessment, I'm afraid.

In 2008, Kompany and JĂ´ were both highly rated prospects (JĂ´ ended up being a flop, but there is a reason City paid ~20m for him). SWP, Bridge, Given and Bellamy were very solid PL players.
      The same goes for Adebayor, TourĂŠ, Lescott and Barry that were recruited in 2009.

No, they were not superstars, but they were of a much higher calibre than Chris Wood or Jesse Lingard...

The players Newcastle are signing right now are players they would have targeted before the takeover.

Bang on, totally different.
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,479 posts | 3285 
      Reply #264: Jan 26, 2022 10:11:19 pm

The level of players that Newcastle are getting are a world away from those players that City bought

No one near the same level

Newcastle are still buying mid to lower table players
      rossyred
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,090 posts | 1631 
      Reply #265: Jan 26, 2022 10:24:28 pm

The level of players that Newcastle are getting are a world away from those players that City bought

No one near the same level

Newcastle are still buying mid to lower table players

Not sure they are a world away . Who did City buy who are a world away from Trippier and Guimares .?
      Redman7804
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 570 posts | 267 
      Reply #266: Jan 26, 2022 10:29:39 pm
      Not sure they are a world away . Who did City buy who are a world away from Trippier and Guimares .?

When city were taken over they have since spoken about “buying their rivals best players” to take them out of the way
      It’s what they did initially with Blackburn and Villas best players at the time

Newcastle are doing similar but are at a lower starting point to where city were, city were in the top half, Newcastle are fighting to stay in the league

To think they won’t be a title threat in 2-4 years is fanciful at best
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,018 posts | 2741 
      Reply #267: Jan 26, 2022 11:04:53 pm
      As long as they appointment the right people off the pitch, they will almost certainly be challenging for the top four in a few years time. I'm not sure why anyone would think otherwise to be honest.
      PTU
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,079 posts | 630 
      Reply #268: Jan 26, 2022 11:08:44 pm
      To think they won’t be a title threat in 2-4 years is fanciful at best

It took City 4 years to win their first title, at a time when the PL was nowhere near as competitive (and rich) as it is now.
      Just look at how much Arsenal and Utd have spent in recent years, and they are still nowhere near the title fight.

Also, when City started, they were pretty much the only ones with Chelsea willing to pay those massive transfer fees and wages. Nowadays, you've got many of those clubs around Europe. It won't be as easy for them to attract big names.

They might be in the fight one day, but it'll take them longer than 2-4 years.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #269: Jan 27, 2022 12:12:15 am

There was far less money in the league when City done it. Back in 08 it was only Chelsea and United that could spend big. Now it’s a completely different story, now you get the likes of Fulham and Villa spending well in excess of 100mill in a summer and it’s on the same calibre of player Newcastle are signing. Bringing in Chris Wood isn’t ambition, it’s desperation because they can’t get anyone else. Whether people rate Coutinho still or not is irrelevant, but one thing about him is he’s a sign of intent because of his reputation of previous experience in the Premier League but look where he is, Villa. Meanwhile Newcastle are trying to get Jesse Lingard. All Newcastle are doing at the moment is sideways steps because Trippier is no better than Manquillo and Wood isn’t even at the level of Wilson.

The competition for players is far greater now, as much as Newcastle will throw at a player, Villa for example will happily match it if they want the player badly enough. City only had to overtake United, Chelsea, Liverpool and Arsenal because the competition wasn’t particularly strong outside of that, but Newcastle need to play catch up with the likes of Palace yet.

Money used to guarantee success but it doesn’t now, look at how much United are spending year after year but seemingly getting further and further away from looking anywhere near capable of winning anything.

So I wouldn’t be comparing Newcastle’s takeover with Chelsea’s or City’s because the competition has drastically changed since then.

As long as they appointment the right people off the pitch

That is far far easier said than done.
      « Last Edit: Jan 27, 2022 12:17:51 am by 7-King Kenny-7 »
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #270: Jan 27, 2022 12:18:28 am
      As long as they appointment the right people off the pitch, they will almost certainly be challenging for the top four in a few years time. I'm not sure why anyone would think otherwise to be honest.

Aye seeing as though UEFA decided FFP doesn’t exist for human rights abusing dictatorships there is no reason they won’t be challenging soon!
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 16,662 posts | 2656 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #271: Jan 27, 2022 07:01:36 am

Fans have to except Newcastle will become a top six side in years to come with Oil behind them. It’s all baby steps at the moment with the first step staying in the league. Howe won’t be there long term managers. Exciting times for the fans and I certainly don’t have any grudges since I’m a armchair fan anyway.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #272: Jan 27, 2022 03:13:50 pm
      I hope they go down for the craic, ynless it means everton staying up
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 16,662 posts | 2656 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton