Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 25th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W9 D9 L7

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Who do you *want* to win?

France 🇫🇷
      9 (47.4%)
      Argentina 🇦🇷
      10 (52.6%)

Total Members Voted: 19

Qatar 2022 FIFA World Cup: Winner Argentina 🇦🇷

Read 81574 times
      gazred
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 828 posts | 298 
      Re: Qatar 2022 FIFA World Cup: Winner Argentina 🇦🇷
      Reply #1771: Dec 20, 2022 12:35:17 pm
      This is my thoughts too. World status is based on years of football, not two weeks. Both Ronaldo & Messi deserve to be talked about in the same breath. For me Rushie was World class but many fans think if you don’t do it in a World Cup you can’t be put up on the biggest stage as one of the best, something I very much disagree on.

Same could be said about Messi never doing it in the hardest league in football, many think he could but it’s a opinion and not fact.

When we talk about the GOAT we usually give a premium to some skills, usually, dribbling, going around people, passing, creating chances and scoring goals. We mainly talk about Messi, Ronaldo, Maradona and Pele.
      Lewandowski, Rush and Benzema don't get discussed because movement of the ball to create space and finishing are not felt to be as important. We never talk about defenders or goalkeepers being the GOAT. Winning trophies is obviously important as well.

For me personally Messi has been the player who has been the best player I've seen in about 35 years of watching football,. I think he's played ok in the last 2 weeks but not up to the level he's shown in the last 15 years.

I think he's a better player than Ronaldo but that's not because he won a WC and Ronaldo didn't. Ronadlo won the Euros (but missed the final). Portugal have never had a team that had much chance of winning WC, Argentina have always been 1 of the teams with a decent chance.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,041 posts | 2096 
      Reply #1772: Dec 20, 2022 01:09:54 pm
      When we talk about the GOAT we usually give a premium to some skills, usually, dribbling, going around people, passing, creating chances and scoring goals. We mainly talk about Messi, Ronaldo, Maradona and Pele.
      Lewandowski, Rush and Benzema don't get discussed because movement of the ball to create space and finishing are not felt to be as important. We never talk about defenders or goalkeepers being the GOAT. Winning trophies is obviously important as well.

For me personally Messi has been the player who has been the best player I've seen in about 35 years of watching football,. I think he's played ok in the last 2 weeks but not up to the level he's shown in the last 15 years.

I think he's a better player than Ronaldo but that's not because he won a WC and Ronaldo didn't. Ronadlo won the Euros (but missed the final). Portugal have never had a team that had much chance of winning WC, Argentina have always been 1 of the teams with a decent chance.

I think that narrative of Portugal suddenly being a minnow nation (not saying you called them that, just it's been out there for a few days now) is remarkable in that it's just come to the fore in the last two weeks. That comes from sad incels / back bedroom casualties, tweeting from their mum's sofa in a desperate attempt to make Ronaldo look better than he is. Fact is, throughout the 21st century they've had a top team that has never been so far behind Argentina in quality. They blew the Euro 2004 tournament with the likes of Carvalho, Figo, Ronaldo, Deco, Maniche etc. Were semi finalists in 2006 and have since had a whole host of opportunities that of course culminated in them actually winning Euro 2016 (without Ronaldo as you note).

Nothing ever shone light on the remarkable sadness of Cristiano Ronaldo fanboys quite like this World Cup. The infatuation with someone who was a great footballer but a shocking human being is infantile. It's almost MAGA / Trump like in it's cultism. The worst thing is, a lot of them are fully grown men acting like 6 year olds being told that Santa isn't real. If you ever want to lose faith in humanity completely, just read through one of the 'CR7' fanboy accounts on twitter. They are the sort of individuals who would find the Teletubbies as too intellectually stimulating for them. Who would wear nappies if it was socially acceptable.
      Longy-Shops
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,258 posts | 757 
      Reply #1773: Dec 20, 2022 01:39:29 pm
      I think that narrative of Portugal suddenly being a minnow nation (not saying you called them that, just it's been out there for a few days now) is remarkable in that it's just come to the fore in the last two weeks. That comes from sad incels / back bedroom casualties, tweeting from their mum's sofa in a desperate attempt to make Ronaldo look better than he is. Fact is, throughout the 21st century they've had a top team that has never been so far behind Argentina in quality. They blew the Euro 2004 tournament with the likes of Carvalho, Figo, Ronaldo, Deco, Maniche etc. Were semi finalists in 2006 and have since had a whole host of opportunities that of course culminated in them actually winning Euro 2016 (without Ronaldo as you note).

Nothing ever shone light on the remarkable sadness of Cristiano Ronaldo fanboys quite like this World Cup. The infatuation with someone who was a great footballer but a shocking human being is infantile. It's almost MAGA / Trump like in it's cultism. The worst thing is, a lot of them are fully grown men acting like 6 year olds being told that Santa isn't real. If you ever want to lose faith in humanity completely, just read through one of the 'CR7' fanboy accounts on twitter. They are the sort of individuals who would find the Teletubbies as too intellectually stimulating for them. Who would wear nappies if it was socially acceptable.
      Post of the Year
      adammac
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,762 posts | 239 
      • Heart As Big As Liverpool
      Reply #1774: Dec 20, 2022 01:55:07 pm
      Portugal have never had a team that had much chance of winning WC, Argentina have always been 1 of the teams with a decent chance.

I have a hard time understanding that. You can look squad in this WC Portugal boost a number of talented of players playing in top leagues and for big club.
      PTU
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,081 posts | 630 
      Reply #1775: Dec 20, 2022 02:07:58 pm
      I have a hard time understanding that. You can look squad in this WC Portugal boost a number of talented of players playing in top leagues and for big club.

The way I see it, Portugal isn't really a 'team', but a collection of individuals. For all their faults, Argentina was a single entity...
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,164 posts | 8548 
      Reply #1776: Dec 20, 2022 07:32:08 pm
      I'm tired of hearing how Messi is under Maradona's shadow. Don't forget his greatest goal was a blatant f***in' handball. He threw that ball into the net.

Still a boss player. What he did with Napoli would be hard to match.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,164 posts | 8548 
      Reply #1777: Dec 20, 2022 07:33:12 pm
      Sergio Aguero running about like half fan, half squad player was a lot of fun wasn't it  ;D

Even got a cheeky tweet from Terry saying he forgot the boots and shinnies.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,164 posts | 8548 
      Reply #1778: Dec 20, 2022 07:35:24 pm
      I don’t think two weeks football can settle the debate Adam but many will think so. Messi done very little the last two years, not forgetting Messi never did it in the hardest league in world football. Don’t get me wrong I think he would of done but not as many goals. However, that’s just a opinion and not fact.

Great World Cup for him but Ronaldo done it everywhere and also not been surrounded by world class players as Messi did with Barcelona.

Messi's won everything!
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,164 posts | 8548 
      Reply #1779: Dec 20, 2022 07:36:16 pm
      Do the Boca and River ultras stand side by side to welcome the national team home? They are far more militant than some European fans. Maybe they will put all of that to one side for a few days before getting back to beating up their fellow countrymen.

Like the English then!!
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,967 posts | 2708 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #1780: Dec 20, 2022 07:54:53 pm

Never won the hardest league in the world.  ;)
      verde-rubro
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,998 posts | 223 
      Reply #1781: Dec 20, 2022 08:45:25 pm
      Mbappe and Haaland about to experience their first robberies for the next ballon dor
      verde-rubro
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,998 posts | 223 
      Reply #1782: Dec 20, 2022 09:00:40 pm

Most PKs ever awarded to a single team in a WC tournament ever, with especially dubious PKs against Poland and in the final when Di Maria wrapped his leg around Dembele and was already falling down.
      Messi verbally abuses the ref after the Netherlands game, no fine, no suspension, and ref gets sent home the next day.
      Messi taunts the Dutch sideline, no cards.
      Argentina players kicking the ball at the Netherlands bench, no cards.
      Messi handling the ball deliberately to stop a play, no card.
      Multiple Otamendi harsh dirty tackles in the final, no card.
      Martinez deliberately throwing the ball away in the middle of France's PKs TWICE and ref only books him the second time.
      Only player to miss tow PKs at the same tournament in WC history, but no one talks about it.
      The fact that Hassan Al-Thawadi said this and nobody batted an eye.
      The fact that Gianni Infantino said, "It would be an injustice if Messi retired without winning the World Cup." and nobody batted an eye.
      With the fact that the WC took place in a human rights violating garbage dump of a country due to massive bribe money, and the amount of money that is involved in world soccer, it's shocking that too many f*cking idiots and casuals in this world can't see the amount of corruption and scripting going on to ensure certain outcomes are met (I.E. Messi going out on top.) FIFA haven't been shy in their adoration for Messi.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,164 posts | 8548 
      Reply #1783: Dec 20, 2022 09:30:22 pm

Most PKs ever awarded to a single team in a WC tournament ever, with especially dubious PKs against Poland and in the final when Di Maria wrapped his leg around Dembele and was already falling down.
      Messi verbally abuses the ref after the Netherlands game, no fine, no suspension, and ref gets sent home the next day.
      Martinez deliberately throwing the ball away in the middle of France's PKs TWICE and ref only books him the second time.
      Only player to miss tow PKs at the same tournament in WC history, but no one talks about it.
      The fact that Gianni Infantino said, "It would be an injustice if Messi retired without winning the World Cup." and nobody batted an eye.
      With the fact that the WC took place in a human rights violating garbage dump of a country due to massive bribe money, and the amount of money that is involved in world soccer, it's shocking that too many f*cking idiots and casuals in this world can't see the amount of corruption and scripting going on to ensure certain outcomes are met (I.E. Messi going out on top.) FIFA haven't been shy in their adoration for Messi.

Not taking it well then!! :laugh:
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,164 posts | 8548 
      Reply #1784: Dec 20, 2022 09:41:22 pm
      gazred
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 828 posts | 298 
      Reply #1786: Dec 20, 2022 09:55:22 pm

What would happen if the Ref sends of a goalkeeper during a penalty shootout? I was thinking about it during the game when Martinez threw the ball away and your rant has reminded me.
      Would Argentina have had to put an outfield player in goal? Messi could have gone in, saved a pen to win to WC.
      He'd definitely be the GOAT then.
      Longy-Shops
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,258 posts | 757 
      Reply #1787: Dec 20, 2022 10:02:36 pm

So you are of the opinion that the tournament was fixed? Explain the last minute save in extra time....Surely you don't think the French guy wasn't trying to score.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,164 posts | 8548 
      Reply #1788: Dec 20, 2022 10:05:20 pm
      So you are of the opinion that the tournament was fixed? Explain the last minute save in extra time....Surely you don't think the French guy wasn't trying to score.

Shame as well, cos that would of been a cracking assist for Konate.
      gazred
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 828 posts | 298 
      Reply #1789: Dec 20, 2022 10:15:11 pm

I'm not saying Portugal had no chance of winning the world cup but Argentina have had a better team than Portugal for almost all of the Messi/Ronaldo years. They had a very long unbeaten run prior to this WC.

Portugal had a stronger team before Ronaldo's career. I think for the last 15 years they've generally been in the second group of teams that have an outside chance of a tournament win. With Belgium, Croatia, Denmark, England and a few others. There have always be at least 4 other teams that are better, usually Spain, Brazil, Argentina, France.

I think Ronaldo had a very good international career and winning 1 Euro championship is a reasonable outcome. Could have been better but it's acceptable.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,748 posts | 6720 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #1790: Dec 21, 2022 12:38:23 am
      Still a boss player. What he did with Napoli would be hard to match.

FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,316 posts | 6378 
      Reply #1791: Dec 21, 2022 04:02:59 am

Well that’s the rub. There’s too many variables for it to ever be “fixed” completely, but surely there is a possibility that if a governing body wished for a certain outcome, they could do their best to push the odds in that direction.

I don’t personally think it was fixed, I just chalk it up to the typical Messi boot licking that everyone (even FIFA) seems to participate in. France should have beaten them, I don’t think the referee had anything to do with that game. The other things…..certainly you could construct a flimsy case but the final to me wasn’t “fixed”.
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,620 posts | 3917 
      Reply #1792: Dec 21, 2022 08:09:22 am
      Hopefully that’s the end of international tournament football being played in winter.

Needs to be held in proper footballing nations with the infrastructure already in place.

One to forget.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,041 posts | 2096 
      Reply #1793: Dec 21, 2022 10:14:15 am
      Hopefully that’s the end of international tournament football being played in winter.

Needs to be held in proper footballing nations with the infrastructure already in place.

One to forget.

Sad but true. Its a tragedy that such a great match between two fantastic sides could be overshadowed by the grotesgueness of FIFA's obsession with wealth and downright horrible / impure people.

The antics by FIFA and their chums in the aftermath of the final left a sour taste. Forcing Messi to wear a piece of traditional garb that looked more like an Ann Summer's dressing gown spoiled what should have been an iconic shot. Or how about Jared Kushner and Elon Musk infesting the place with their vileness? Or maybe even that nonce butcher Salt Bae manhandling the trophy and any Argentinian player he could find.

A match like that deserved to be played in a backdrop dripping in history, not dollar bills and the blood of dead migrant workers.

Quick Reply