Read 6216 times
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Re: Pre-match: Watford V Liverpool [Saturday October 16th, 12:30]
      Reply #69: Oct 16, 2021 09:54:31 am
      We need a win, 2 draws in a row is not good and we need to turn it around.

Even worse when you consider we’ve had the lead 4 times in those 2 games and failed to win either. Some big issues going on with the defensive side of our game at the moment.
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,208 posts | 1503 
      Reply #70: Oct 16, 2021 10:06:43 am
      Just go all out full throttle and we’ll win this.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,821 posts | 4920 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #71: Oct 16, 2021 10:29:24 am
      I’m not too enamoured if AOC starts if I’m honest, in the main he has been out of sorts and struggling to get game time, so for me he would be a liability if he is entrusted to a role in today’s engine room, coming off the bench for me offers his best opportunity to give everything he has for whatever  time Jürgen afford’s to give him, Naby though has at least got some game time behind him and although still not pulling up any trees he’s ahead of Ox anyway and IF he can get somewhere near his best he offers more solidity, and a better balance, so for that reason I think we’ll start with Hendo, Millie & Naby lad, HOWEVER!!….

….we’re obviously  down to the bare bones in midfield and for us to continue supplying Mo, Mane, Bobby & Jota with ammo, we really need to think about creating opportunities for them to do their stuff, Hendo, Millie & Naby somewhat stifles that creation, so how do we combat this and at least provide decent link up play from midfield and attack, it’s unlikely that Jürgen will try anything new or promote from the ressies so maybe it’s a case of making the most out of a bad situation….before a ball is kicked I’m telling you now we’re going miss Fabinho, Ranieri that old fox, will have noticed he’s missing and I’m guessing he’ll target this area knowing it’s a weak link,

Now I’ve been a advocate of Joe Gomez playing the DM role previously , it seems none of you guys have a opinion on it, that’s ok, but can someone please explain to me why he isn’t a very good stand in for a time like this, he ticks all the boxes for me, and that would allow us to perhaps throw Hendo further forward and link up with our attack, I just feel it would make more sense having a defensive  minded player playing in front of the back 4 rather than a midfielder, who could easily get caught out unawares?

I’d be very interested in your opinions good or bad ?

Y  N  W  A

LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,300 posts | 3869 
      Reply #72: Oct 16, 2021 10:55:37 am
      Maybe we can start with the front 4, with Milner and Henderson tucked up in midfield? That could work
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #73: Oct 16, 2021 11:03:26 am
      I’m not too enamoured if AOC starts if I’m honest, in the main he has been out of sorts and struggling to get game time, so for me he would be a liability if he is entrusted to a role in today’s engine room, coming off the bench for me offers his best opportunity to give everything he has for whatever  time Jürgen afford’s to give him, Naby though has at least got some game time behind him and although still not pulling up any trees he’s ahead of Ox anyway and IF he can get somewhere near his best he offers more solidity, and a better balance, so for that reason I think we’ll start with Hendo, Millie & Naby lad, HOWEVER!!….

….we’re obviously  down to the bare bones in midfield and for us to continue supplying Mo, Mane, Bobby & Jota with ammo, we really need to think about creating opportunities for them to do their stuff, Hendo, Millie & Naby somewhat stifles that creation, so how do we combat this and at least provide decent link up play from midfield and attack, it’s unlikely that Jürgen will try anything new or promote from the ressies so maybe it’s a case of making the most out of a bad situation….before a ball is kicked I’m telling you now we’re going miss Fabinho, Ranieri that old fox, will have noticed he’s missing and I’m guessing he’ll target this area knowing it’s a weak link,

Now I’ve been a advocate of Joe Gomez playing the DM role previously , it seems none of you guys have a opinion on it, that’s ok, but can someone please explain to me why he isn’t a very good stand in for a time like this, he ticks all the boxes for me, and that would allow us to perhaps throw Hendo further forward and link up with our attack, I just feel it would make more sense having a defensive  minded player playing in front of the back 4 rather than a midfielder, who could easily get caught out unawares?

I’d be very interested in your opinions good or bad ?

Y  N  W  A

It is worth consideration Billy, but my question would be whether Gomez has the range of passing needed to play in this role under Jürgen's system(s). The setup that Jose Mourinho implemented at Porto and then Chelsea, made good use of this windshield wiper/destroyer type position with Claude Makelele, Michael Essien and Jon Obi Mikel perhaps most famously filling the role. They managed to physically dominate the middle of the park, especially in their half of it, and it was a formula that took a while to overcome as Jose used it in Italy and Spain as well.

I think now thought the #6 role on a top team requires someone more like Fab, who can be hard on opposing attackers but also instrumental in transition, switching the field and even getting forward to support the attack at times. I don't know if Joe can fill that part of the role.

While I'm a fan of Hendo, I have my doubts as to how effective he would be anymore as a primary attacking player. I think his main role would be helping cover for the fullbacks. Still, as you say, we are down to bare bones in midfield and will have to accept not everyone will be in their optimal role for the time being.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #74: Oct 16, 2021 11:09:28 am
      HuytonRed's birthday today so I don't think anything less than 3 points is remotely acceptable.

Can't wait to see the line up....!
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,821 posts | 4920 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #75: Oct 16, 2021 11:24:20 am
      It is worth consideration Billy, but my question would be whether Gomez has the range of passing needed to play in this role under Jürgen's system(s). The setup that Jose Mourinho implemented at Porto and then Chelsea, made good use of this windshield wiper/destroyer type position with Claude Makelele, Michael Essien and Jon Obi Mikel perhaps most famously filling the role. They managed to physically dominate the middle of the park, especially in their half of it, and it was a formula that took a while to overcome as Jose used it in Italy and Spain as well.

I think now thought the #6 role on a top team requires someone more like Fab, who can be hard on opposing attackers but also instrumental in transition, switching the field and even getting forward to support the attack at times. I don't know if Joe can fill that part of the role.

While I'm a fan of Hendo, I have my doubts as to how effective he would be anymore as a primary attacking player. I think his main role would be helping cover for the fullbacks. Still, as you say, we are down to bare bones in midfield and will have to accept not everyone will be in their optimal role for the time being.

You have a good point regarding Joe's passing ability particularly long range and i guess if push came to shove and he did play as a temporary DM a sacrifice would have to be accepted and although not ideal making things do would get us through, I was more in favour of his defensive abilities and prevention rather than his curtailed attacking prowess hence having a defender rather than midfielder in the same position,  we could of course play him next to Hendo and have Naby in front in a 4-2-1-3 that might work but we do have to remember that it would be entirely temporary and a case of trying to find a solution in a one off situation.

YNWA

Quick Reply