Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Pre Match: Atletico Madrid v Liverpool, 19/10/2021 @ 8pm

Read 4861 times
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,452 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Re: Atletico Madrid v Liverpool, 19/10/2021 @ 8pm
      Reply #23: Oct 19, 2021 12:34:33 pm
      I'd go for a win, i.e. best 11. Then treat it like League Cup till the KO stages. The United game is just on Sunday, so enough rest.

This is a very good point, win tonight and we can rotate heavily in the other games.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #24: Oct 19, 2021 12:51:59 pm
      Dont like these, not hate like a real or chelsea, but they are bas**rds

Just beat them
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #25: Oct 19, 2021 12:52:13 pm
      This is a very good point, win tonight and we can rotate heavily in the other games.

5 subs too. Get a couple of goals ahead, which I know is a lot to ask against this frustrating bunch, but it then gives flexibility to rotate through the rest of the game for the weekend. Would even be tempted to change to a back 5 and rest either Mane or Salah at a stage in the game to just see it out.

Need to play them at their own game, if we take the lead then just retain possession, waste time, go down at the slightest touch to buy cheap free kicks and generally frustrate them. Sooner or later they will have to attack if that’s the case and it will create more spaces for us to try and exploit.

Don’t get too tight to Suarez either, defenders that get too tight to him tend to end up regretting it because he’s so good in those situations, whether that’s by rolling the defender or winning a foul. Stand off him a bit and force him to move into an area of the pitch he doesn’t want to be - make him have to try and knock the ball past the defence and run onto it because as good as he is, he was never blessed with a lot of pace and any pace he did have has now gone, get him running after the ball and he won’t be getting to it before any of our defenders. When it comes to the dark arts of the game, he’s as good as they come, factor in how good he still is too and there can’t be any lapses in concentration.
      He’s a winner too, will win at all costs so he will be fully up for this game, he won’t have forgotten what we done to him and his Barca teammates.
      « Last Edit: Oct 19, 2021 01:05:34 pm by 7-King Kenny-7 »
      ORCHARD RED
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #26: Oct 19, 2021 02:34:02 pm
      Expecting the usual frustrating game against these diving pricks. I love to say we'll smash them, but it's going to be a very tough game to win. A draw wouldn't be a bad result In the grand scheme of things, but win and we're practically into the knockout rounds.
      Atletico are a good outside bet for the CL this season as are we, so this is a massive game.
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 21,300 posts | 3869 
      Reply #27: Oct 19, 2021 02:58:49 pm
      5 subs too. Get a couple of goals ahead, which I know is a lot to ask against this frustrating bunch, but it then gives flexibility to rotate through the rest of the game for the weekend. Would even be tempted to change to a back 5 and rest either Mane or Salah at a stage in the game to just see it out.

Need to play them at their own game, if we take the lead then just retain possession, waste time, go down at the slightest touch to buy cheap free kicks and generally frustrate them. Sooner or later they will have to attack if that’s the case and it will create more spaces for us to try and exploit.

Don’t get too tight to Suarez either, defenders that get too tight to him tend to end up regretting it because he’s so good in those situations, whether that’s by rolling the defender or winning a foul. Stand off him a bit and force him to move into an area of the pitch he doesn’t want to be - make him have to try and knock the ball past the defence and run onto it because as good as he is, he was never blessed with a lot of pace and any pace he did have has now gone, get him running after the ball and he won’t be getting to it before any of our defenders. When it comes to the dark arts of the game, he’s as good as they come, factor in how good he still is too and there can’t be any lapses in concentration.
      He’s a winner too, will win at all costs so he will be fully up for this game, he won’t have forgotten what we done to him and his Barca teammates.

Suarez is a ridiculous talent and still doing the business. There is no coincidence that Atletico won the league after signing him.

Can’t stand him though, I want him well and truly beaten tonight!
      hoganov
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,709 posts | 162 
      Reply #28: Oct 19, 2021 04:13:14 pm
      Tough game to call this evening and really looking forward to it. Going on form we should just shade this but get ready for a night of screaming at the TV with these pricks diving all over the place. An early goal would be sweet to make them come out and play.
      rossyred

• 9,094 posts | 1632 
      Reply #29: Oct 19, 2021 04:31:40 pm
      Suarez is a ridiculous talent and still doing the business. There is no coincidence that Atletico won the league after signing him.

Can’t stand him though, I want him well and truly beaten tonight!

Love him or loathe him can be no argument about his class
      AlwaysTheKop
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,208 posts | 1418 
      • CHAMP19NS.
      Reply #30: Oct 19, 2021 05:02:46 pm
      My head can’t see passed a 1-1 draw, which I don’t think would be too bad.

Dirty, boring, defensive team so 1-1 and escape without any injuries and there’ll be no moaning from me.

Salah and Suarez to score.

Hopefully we better them though and just like against Watford, my head going into the game will be wrong to have been so cautious.
      PGlynn91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,601 posts | 295 
      • To win just once...
      Reply #31: Oct 19, 2021 05:32:53 pm
      Alisson

TAA Konate VanDijk Robbo

Fabinho Hendo Keita

Salah Jota Mane

1-1 draw. We go ahead through Salah but they score a scrappy equaliser through Suarez teeth.
      Scottbot

• 9,542 posts | 2135 
      Re: Pre Match: Atletico Madrid v Liverpool, 19/10/2021 @ 8pm
      Reply #32: Oct 19, 2021 05:42:27 pm
      Love him or loathe him can be no argument about his class

I still love him! Nasty little bast...ard but a supreme talent who gave his all when he wore the shirt (and any shirt he wears).

Would take a draw all day in this one. Tough side to beat on their own patch and La Liga winners. We certainly owe them for 2 years ago though.
      Richard88
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 399 posts | 145 
      • John 3:16
      Reply #33: Oct 19, 2021 05:57:46 pm
      Win this game and we'd be as good as qualified, as we'd sit 5 points and at least +6 GD ahead of 2nd with two home games to go.

Liverpool 9
      Atletico 4
      Porto 1, 2, or 4
      Milan 0, 1, or 3

TameImpala
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,269 posts | 1216 
      • He's five foot seven, he's football heaven
      Reply #34: Oct 19, 2021 06:11:26 pm
      Been mad busy in work all day so completely forgot this was even on until before. Luckily I was doing the shop when the penny dropped so picked up a few cans for accompaniment 😂

Suppose it's anyone's guess how he'll set up for this one with United at the weekend. Wouldn't be at all surprised if a few curve balls were thrown in terms of rotation (Origi, Ox, Konate etc), as history probably shows that Atletico would be pretty happy to sit back for this one and play our for a draw - and if I'm honest I'd be satisfied with that result myself.

Be good to see Suarez v Salah again, especially after all the recent talk of where the latter ranks amongst our all time greats, with the former also being used as a comparison on a number of occasions.

May very well be a bit of a stinker à la the game at their place a couple of seasons ago, but I've got a little feeling it could be a cracker with Luis and Mo both on the pitch. Early goal from ourselves I think would set up a really good game

Quick Reply