Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 19th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P32 W19 D8 L5

Diagonals between our fullbacks

Read 944 times
      PTU
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 2,081 posts | 630 
      Diagonals between our fullbacks
      Nov 04, 2021 08:05:02 pm
      Over the last few years, one of our most effective weapon has been the cross-field diagonal crosses between our fullbacks. They would allow us to quickly switch the play from one side to the other and would usually leave Trent and Robbo with plenty of space to run forward.

Lately, however, I noticed we don't seem to be using those as much as we used to. Against Atletico, I only counted one, from Trent to Kostas.

Am I imagining this or did someone else noticed a difference? And if you did, do you think it's a conscious tactical change, or are the other teams purposely defending against these crosses?
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,678 posts | 3699 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Re: Diagonals between our fullbacks
      Reply #1: Nov 05, 2021 10:25:28 am
      Over the last few years, one of our most effective weapon has been the cross-field diagonal crosses between our fullbacks. They would allow us to quickly switch the play from one side to the other and would usually leave Trent and Robbo with plenty of space to run forward.

Lately, however, I noticed we don't seem to be using those as much as we used to. Against Atletico, I only counted one, from Trent to Kostas.

Am I imagining this or did someone else noticed a difference? And if you did, do you think it's a conscious tactical change, or are the other teams purposely defending against these crosses?

We do it to open their defense and have been doing it for three years. We have the players to do it and do it nicely but everything depends on the opponent. Players adapt.

Quick Reply