Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v Brighton?

Alisson Becker
      20 (44.4%)
      Trent Alexander-Arnold
      1 (2.2%)
      Virgil van Dijk
      0 (0%)
      Ibrahima Konaté
      0 (0%)
      Andy Robertson
      2 (4.4%)
      Naby Keïta
      1 (2.2%)
      Jordan Henderson
      5 (11.1%)
      Curtis Jones
      0 (0%)
      Sadio Mane
      14 (31.1%)
      Mohammed Salah
      0 (0%)
      Roberto Firmino
      1 (2.2%)
      Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain
      0 (0%)
      Takumi Minamino
      1 (2.2%)
      Diogo Jota
      0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 45

Voting closed: Nov 03, 2021 03:53:04 pm

Liverpool 2-2 Brighton & Hove Albion: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 15447 times
      Billo
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,601 posts | 855 
      Re: Liverpool 2-2 Brighton & Hove Albion: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #391: Oct 31, 2021 09:43:32 am
      Im not too worried, its a tough league and it happens. We will get back into the winning ways in no time.

Although midfield is bit worrying and we should try to bring someone in January.
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,030 posts | 1973 
      Reply #392: Oct 31, 2021 10:29:58 am
      Disappointing result after thrashing united a week ago. It’s a funny old game though isn’t it? I left the ground quite frustrated only to put the radio on in the car and a guy rang up on the phone in and said if we drew 2-2 at united and then battered Brighton 5-0 we all would have taken that and been quite happy and he’s right I suppose.

I stay off this forum a lot now, too many idiots about the place these days and the posters I did enjoy engaging with seem to have vanished, but I occasionally come back when there’s some talking points, like yesterday.

In the summer, I and many others, couldn’t believe we didn’t replace Gini. Half a dozen idiots on here were defending that decision and making excuses to support their weird pro FSG agendas.  The whole point of the gini debate was that he was an ever present for us who rarely missed a game. Our squad is littered with midfielders who have injury problems but gini was the only one who we could rely on to play week in, week out.

I predicted we would have a midfield crisis this season, the same way we had a defensive crisis last season, and I thought we would see those problems in November.

Well I was wrong about one thing, it wasn’t quite November, because we saw it yesterday. We drew that game, and in my opinion were very fortunate not to lose it in the end, because of our midfield. We were all over the place. We got out run, out fought, we weren’t tracking their runners and our front three were starved of any service.

The only three lads we had available were Hendo, Jones and Ox and all three of them were abysmal. I felt sorry for Hendo because he was left on his own and couldn’t cope in there. Jones and Ox were honestly shocking. The drop off in levels between Thiago, Fab, Keita and even Milner to those two is massive.

Brighton are a decent side in fairness, they have some good players and potter has them playing well, but even so, 2-0 up at home against them then you expect to see the game out but our midfield lost all control.

I’m sure the usual people will respond and say why are you moaning, we’re second in the league, flying in the CL and in the quarters of the league cup etc. That’s true, but I knew that result would come around this stage of the season, and if we don’t get our midfielders back soon and look after them then we’re going to see a lot more of them and we can’t afford too many or we will be out of the race. If somebody’s available in January then we have to go and sign them. We need somebody as reliable as Gini. I’d go and break the bank for Bellingham personally because I think he is exactly what we need.

Two other players I thought had a nightmare yesterday were Bobby who couldn’t trap a ball and I don’t know why Jota wasn’t on a lot sooner, and Konate.  Konate has great physical attributes and I’m sure he will be a big player for us but his inexperience showed yesterday and he was dragged all over the place. Why is Matip not starting, who was probably our second best player behind Mo so far this season?

Moving forward, I hope Jürgen doesn’t play the same midfield three as we saw yesterday. It might have already been said on here but playing gomez right back and putting trent in the middle could be an option for the time being.

West Ham and Arsenal (who have found their feet suddenly) coming up. Two massive games.

tomx
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,244 posts | 229 
      Reply #393: Oct 31, 2021 10:37:18 am
      we should be replacing gini with top midfielder. we didn't and that will cost us a title.

gini was never injured, machine in field and now we have injury prone players.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #394: Oct 31, 2021 11:39:47 am
      losing 3 top midfield players is a blow but beating Watford UTD and Madrid away and scoring 13 goals seems to me its not all doom and gloom.
      We shouldnt lose a 2 goal lead at home but our midfield we finished the game with was not our first second or third choice only Hendo would be a first choice pick.
      Jones seems not to be progressing but then again he has been injured and OX is just so frustrating what do we do with him.
      Looking forward to Weds though the place is going to be on fire.
      ruthcity
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,867 posts | 1465 
      Reply #395: Oct 31, 2021 01:31:44 pm
      we should be replacing gini with top midfielder. we didn't and that will cost us a title.

That's a classic line... Not the first though. Has been said for many seasons and this will replay over the many upcoming seasons. Just replace player name and position. ;D

We did evolve from goalkeeper to CB to striker and now midfielder! As the cycle of kick-off to final whistle goes on... May this classic phase we should have brought in whichever player for this position long live... Whenever we fail to win a match.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,948 posts | 8458 
      Reply #396: Oct 31, 2021 01:54:44 pm
      Potter's got Brighton playing well. Second half they were a lot more organised than the mancs were a week ago. We just didn't respond until they got the two goals back, then it seemed like a lot of huffing and puffing without really creating anything.
      ruthcity

• 6,867 posts | 1465 
      Reply #397: Oct 31, 2021 01:57:20 pm
      Potter's got Brighton playing well. Second half they were a lot more organised than the mancs were a week ago. We just didn't respond until they got the two goals back, then it seemed like a lot of huffing and puffing without really creating anything.

Harry?
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,948 posts | 8458 
      Reply #398: Oct 31, 2021 01:58:53 pm

No Brian from his wheelchair!!

I prefer Phoenix Nights to that fluffy Hollywood sh*te.

HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,030 posts | 1973 
      Reply #399: Oct 31, 2021 02:00:36 pm
      One thing I did enjoy about yesterday was the reception Adam Lallana got. I love that about our fans, the way we welcome back ex players. It gives me a buzz so it must be an amazing feeling for them. We cheered when his name was read out before kick off and he got a standing ovation when he went off too.

At full time, he walked around the pitch and gave the fans a clap who clapped him back. I think he got the send off he deserved.

Top player, top pro. Shame he struggled with injuries and it didn’t quite work out for him here. We could have done with a fit adam Lallana in our midfield yesterday. Hope he has a good season. 
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,948 posts | 8458 
      Reply #400: Oct 31, 2021 02:03:51 pm
      One thing I did enjoy about yesterday was the reception Adam Lallana got. I love that about our fans, the way we welcome back ex players. It gives me a buzz so it must be an amazing feeling for them. We cheered when his name was read out before kick off and he got a standing ovation when he went off too.

At full time, he walked around the pitch and gave the fans a clap who clapped him back. I think he got the send off he deserved.

Top player, top pro. Shame he struggled with injuries and it didn’t quite work out for him here. We could have done with a fit adam Lallana in our midfield yesterday. Hope he has a good season. 

Got to be honest didn't even notice him until he got subbed.

Bissouma, Mwepu and that lad who played left back for them are good players. Thought they did very well for Brighton yesterday.
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,030 posts | 1973 
      Reply #401: Oct 31, 2021 02:22:34 pm
      Got to be honest didn't even notice him until he got subbed.

Bissouma, Mwepu and that lad who played left back for them are good players. Thought they did very well for Brighton yesterday.

Thought he was quiet in the first half. Was he playing as the 9? I couldn’t work out what his position was.

Thought he grew into the game second half though and he was involved in a few dangerous counter attacks for them, obviously set their equaliser up too.
      TameImpala
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,269 posts | 1216 
      • He's five foot seven, he's football heaven
      Reply #402: Oct 31, 2021 02:52:02 pm

Made up with the ovation he got when he was subbed. Just a shame a good portion of the ground decided to F**k off in their droves at around 80 odd minutes otherwise he would have gotten an even better send off at the end. Embarrassing in the upper main yesterday. Was more or less only me and the lad next to me who were left on our row come the FT whistle
      hardcoresoldier
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,104 posts | 1275 
      • The Liverpool Way is The Only Way
      Reply #403: Oct 31, 2021 02:53:00 pm
      Jesus! Reading some of the posts in the last 6 pages you would think we are in a relegation fight! We are second in the League and going through a bit of a rough patch with injuries and integration of new players.

I think we are in a good place right now. Dealing with some severe issues and still in second place?

Not such a bad place to be.

Trust The Plan.
      KeepTheFaith
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,325 posts | 188 
      Reply #404: Oct 31, 2021 03:07:03 pm
      Remember when a few of us were calling for a cm only to be told we have enough and when people on here were told that we cannot rely on them due to their injury record, they simply wouldn’t have it

Well once again after the cb debacle last season we took an unnecessary gamble and it’s backfired….

Our cm is just too weak without fab and Thiago and that’s why we struggle to control games
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #405: Oct 31, 2021 03:10:09 pm
      Jesus! Reading some of the posts in the last 6 pages you would think we are in a relegation fight! We are second in the League and going through a bit of a rough patch with injuries and integration of new players.

I think we are in a good place right now. Dealing with some severe issues and still in second place?

Not such a bad place to be.

Trust The Plan.

spot on mate there is a plan and so far its worked exceptionally well.
      hardcoresoldier
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,104 posts | 1275 
      • The Liverpool Way is The Only Way
      Reply #406: Oct 31, 2021 03:37:21 pm
      Remember when a few of us were calling for a cm only to be told we have enough and when people on here were told that we cannot rely on them due to their injury record, they simply wouldn’t have it

Well once again after the cb debacle last season we took an unnecessary gamble and it’s backfired….

Our cm is just too weak without fab and Thiago and that’s why we struggle to control games

Agree with what you say but at what point do we determine the amount of midfielders we can afford? Do we purchase ten midfielders in case 6 get injured?

I understand where you are coming from though. You'd think with the advances in modern medicine and science we would have systems in place to accurately (not precisely) assess the physical frailties of certain players in the Squad. As i have previously said though, any player can get injured at any time and every individual heals and strengthens at differing rates.

Injuries have certainly had an adverse effect on our Squad over the past few Seasons. It does lead back to the high intensity game we play. I'm not saying that is the reason. What i am saying is that the medical team should have a firm grip on this problem and be able to identify any irregularities that are occurring as a result of this problem.
      PastorGeek
      • Not Actual Geek
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,474 posts | 701 
      Reply #407: Oct 31, 2021 03:39:03 pm
      Some of us go full ArsenalFanTV when we have an injury crisis, draw a game and are 3 points from top.
      KeepTheFaith
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,325 posts | 188 
      Reply #408: Oct 31, 2021 03:50:35 pm
      Agree with what you say but at what point do we determine the amount of midfielders we can afford? Do we purchase ten midfielders in case 6 get injured?

I understand where you are coming from though. You'd think with the advances in modern medicine and science we would have systems in place to accurately (not precisely) assess the physical frailties of certain players in the Squad. As i have previously said though, any player can get injured at any time and every individual heals and strengthens at differing rates.

Injuries have certainly had an adverse effect on our Squad over the past few Seasons. It does lead back to the high intensity game we play. I'm not saying that is the reason. What i am saying is that the medical team should have a firm grip on this problem and be able to identify any irregularities that are occurring as a result of this problem.

Top clubs that want to remain are ruthless….footballers are paid well so when we say goodbye, it isn’t the club being harsh and klopp has been ruthless in getting out some players he didn’t want

The solution was simple and you’re right, we have the right number of midfield players but we have the wrong type. Simple solution was to loan or sell one of ox/naby and bring in a top quality cm to rotate with hendo/fab/Thiago

Make no mistake it’s our cm costing us as they lack quality, that’s the difference from when we won the league to now our cm and it’s clear

We all screamed we needed one and it will backfire if we try to paper over the cracks…yet here we are again

Not in a million years would we have dropped points yesterday or vs Brentford with another quality cm to help with defensive positioning and controlling the game

Still we will challenge but need Thiago back and to stay fit. We are soft on cm and it’s showing hence the inconsistency in performances

Let’s be real, no team can win a title with ox/naby/jones/Milner playing a major role in the first 11

Jones has potential but ox is decent at best and more of a utility player as is Milner

Naby isn’t that good at all and is a liability defensive wise as shown against last two Madrid games, he really isn’t that good, players run off him far too easily hence why he got hooked off the last two Madrid games he started.
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,030 posts | 1973 
      Reply #409: Oct 31, 2021 04:43:20 pm

Yes any player can get injured at any time and there’s no guarantee that had we brought somebody in that they wouldn’t have gotten injured at some point too, but the midfielders we have in our squad have a long history of injury problems and it was just madness that we went into the season without signing a centre mid.

I couldn’t believe we didn’t replace gini and there was one poster in particular on here who made all kinds of excuses and even suggested naby might last the full season! Based on what?!

History tells us that both Hendo and ox will miss several games this season too so it’s only a matter of time before they get knocks. Just wait.

It’s irritating when you highlight the clear problems and people respond with ‘trust klopp’ or ‘we’re still second’ etc.  We threw two points away yesterday because we were down to the bare bones and the midfield wasn’t good enough. It’s that simple.

Even if we get some of our lads back soon then we will still have these problems in midfield again during the season at some point.  It’s vital that we sign somebody in January and it should have been done in the bloody summer.

Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,479 posts | 3285 
      Reply #410: Oct 31, 2021 04:59:25 pm
      Yes any player can get injured at any time and there’s no guarantee that had we brought somebody in that they wouldn’t have gotten injured at some point too, but the midfielders we have in our squad have a long history of injury problems and it was just madness that we went into the season without signing a centre mid.

I couldn’t believe we didn’t replace gini and there was one poster in particular on here who made all kinds of excuses and even suggested naby might last the full season! Based on what?!

History tells us that both Hendo and ox will miss several games this season too so it’s only a matter of time before they get knocks. Just wait.

It’s irritating when you highlight the clear problems and people respond with ‘trust klopp’ or ‘we’re still second’ etc.  We threw two points away yesterday because we were down to the bare bones and the midfield wasn’t good enough. It’s that simple.

Even if we get some of our lads back soon then we will still have these problems in midfield again during the season at some point.  It’s vital that we sign somebody in January and it should have been done in the bloody summer.

Was Thiago not Gini replacement and then they also added in Elliott who will prob be back around Jan ?

We currently have 8 midfielders for 3 spots - buying one in the summer would have meant Elliott not playing so why spend when you already have the replacement in the squad

Not seen you post for a while ( well since the City draw and before that the Brentford draw 😉 )

CT_LFC

• 6,782 posts | 1395 
      Reply #411: Oct 31, 2021 04:59:31 pm
      Some of us go full ArsenalFanTV when we have an injury crisis, draw a game and are 3 points from top.

Injury crisis? Try every time we drop a point. It’s good for a fun read but yikes, clown show.

Look at KeeptheFaith as an example. Idiot hasn’t posted since the summer when he was banging on about the same thing and was dead quiet until we dropped points yesterday and here he is, like magic.
      KeepTheFaith
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,325 posts | 188 
      Reply #412: Oct 31, 2021 05:33:55 pm
      Injury crisis? Try every time we drop a point. It’s good for a fun read but yikes, clown show.

Look at KeeptheFaith as an example. Idiot hasn’t posted since the summer when he was banging on about the same thing and was dead quiet until we dropped points yesterday and here he is, like magic.

Generally when someone resorts to childish insults, it shows their own lack of upbringing  and intelligence but it isn’t your fault I suppose.

Either way, you think what you want, if you want to attack people for having an opinion, then go ahead if it makes you feel better.

I am merely making a comment which after all we are allowed to do in a forum. I get you may be the forum bully here, but it simply won’t work with me. When you stand up to bullies, their true colours usually show.

I heck been consistent and most likely go to far more games than you and yes I have a winning mentality and want us to win, you may not but I do. I want us to be the best and to be the best you have to be ruthless at times.

It’s a very fair criticism that our board needed to support us with a cm and that is costing us. If you seriously think our cm is not a glaring weak point, then you should stick to fifa and shouting abuse over there kid.

If you also cannot see the significance of replacing a cm who played nearly every game, then maybe you need to spend a little less time attacking people and more time in understanding what made us so dominant a couple of season ago.
      rossyred

• 9,094 posts | 1632 
      Reply #413: Oct 31, 2021 06:03:06 pm
      That weak midfield handled themselves well enough last week against the Mancs without Fab or Thiago . Fab has also played and we have been cut apart a few occasions this season . We have some injuries which we need to deal with but the numbers are there just need to ride it out and before you know it when all fit people will be moaning that he shouldn't be on the bench etc as we will have excess options

Quick Reply