Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v Atletico?

Alisson Becker
      0 (0%)
      Trent Alexander-Arnold
      33 (47.8%)
      Joel Matip
      0 (0%)
      Virgil van Dijk
      1 (1.4%)
      Kostas Tsimikas
      2 (2.9%)
      Jordan Henderson
      3 (4.3%)
       Fabinho
      2 (2.9%)
      Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain
      11 (15.9%)
      Sadio Mane
      6 (8.7%)
      Mohammed Salah
      3 (4.3%)
      Diogo Jota
      8 (11.6%)
      Roberto Firmino
      0 (0%)
      Divock Origi
      0 (0%)
      Nat Phillips
      0 (0%)
      Thiago Alcantara
      0 (0%)
      Takumi Minamino
      0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 69

Voting closed: Nov 07, 2021 09:54:21 pm

Liverpool 2-0 Atletico Madrid: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 11303 times
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Re: Liverpool 2-0 Atletico Madrid: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #345: Nov 04, 2021 03:23:45 am
      Commentators tried dismissing the performance because they were down to 10 men. Yes it made it easier but Atletico are no pushovers, they can still hurt you with a player less, they showed that in the first game against us, you still have to be switched on.

Really good controlled performance, shame we didn’t get a couple more goals - a few chances were wasted that should’ve been put away but main thing is it’s job done. In what was meant to be the toughest group, we’ve nailed it so far.

Shame we lost Bobby, not often he’s gone off like that for us.

They were down to 10 because we were playing them off the park, beating them 2-0 and one of their thugs was being beaten for pace and for once didn't get away with his viciously dirty play in trying to get Sadio's achilles with his studs.

As you say, the only thing misleading about the result is that we should have scored 2-3 more.
      ToshackKeeganOneNil
      • Forum Phil Thompson

• 488 posts | 100 
      Reply #346: Nov 04, 2021 07:06:01 am
      Great win reds against a horrible but pretty talented team with a dogshite for a manager. How stupid and arrogant was the fool that got sent off. Too important to walk back to the ref to get a correct yellow. Okay the here a straight red for dissent. Ha ha ha. Choob!
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #347: Nov 04, 2021 07:59:30 am
      First time back to Anfield last night since CoVid.
      Great CL atmosphere as always.

Amazing the difference Fab makes to our midfield.

billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,821 posts | 4920 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #348: Nov 04, 2021 08:00:23 am
      If there was ever a game where you wanted to be more clinical this was it, we absolutely battered them despite the 2-0,in reality it should have been 6, that’s what I predicted would happen, I knew we’d be in the mood to rub it in after the away game, having Fab back was instrumental in stifling their attack, but that’s enough about them,

We were once again superb all over the pitch, Trent’s crossing is just delightful and so precise, Walton is right if it were Beckham the press would be jizzing allover their dictaphone’s, and from the other side Kostas pinged a couple of beauties over too, big shout out to AOC, that’s much more like him, he was superb and perhaps made us doubters raise a eyebrow, including myself, are we too early throwing him under the bus ?

Jota could of had a hat full, never mind a hat trick, Mane ran them ragged so much so we had to tug him to protect him, how sad is that in today’s game, refs should be more protective, Salah had them shitting themselves whenever he had the ball, Ali didn’t  have much to do all night because of the protection in front, Matip & VVD controlling and hardly gave them a sniff, and so good to see Thiago back in the mix, great cameo from him, shame about Bobby though, looks like hammy troubles, so won’t be seeing him V hammers, hope it’s not too serious, good bit is he’ll be fu**ed for international duty,

Brilliant performance from the Redmen not just tonight but the previous CL games, to qualify with two games to spare, in the supposed group of death is a major statement of intent to those who qualify with us, out of those, none will want to draw us, and I mean none, including PSG, Bayern M, Juventus, Shitty, any of the big guns, we are feared in Europe, we have the pedigree, the know how, the experience, so when you wipe the floor with teams such as Atleti, home & away ppl, take notice, I don’t want to say it really but can’t help it, I think were going all the way, so Walton, book you place for the victory parade and make room for me next to ya!!

Y  N  W  A
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #349: Nov 04, 2021 08:21:04 am
      Commentators tried dismissing the performance because they were down to 10 men. Yes it made it easier but Atletico are no pushovers, they can still hurt you with a player less, they showed that in the first game against us, you still have to be switched on.

Really good controlled performance, shame we didn’t get a couple more goals - a few chances were wasted that should’ve been put away but main thing is it’s job done. In what was meant to be the toughest group, we’ve nailed it so far.

Shame we lost Bobby, not often he’s gone off like that for us.

To be fair was  a none event second half because Simeone took all his attackers off and was happy losing by a few goals.

We didn't concede but it remains to be seen if that's because we've tightened up or just that Simeone packed it in at half time to protect his goal difference.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #350: Nov 04, 2021 08:28:09 am
      Imagine a world where Kieren Trippier is preferred to Trent A-A for his country.

Any other country in the world would have Trent as their right back but England seem to want to side line him.

Disgraceful.
      therealjr
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,116 posts | 147 
      Reply #351: Nov 04, 2021 08:32:00 am
      Imagine a world where Kieren Trippier is preferred to Trent A-A for his country.

Any other country in the world would have Trent as their right back but England seem to want to side line him.

Disgraceful.

TAA is allowed to attack for us because we have cover.
      His absence from the England team is not about his ability.
      It’s an admission from Southgate that Maguire,Stones,Mings etc are nowhere near as good VVD or Matip in Defence

Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #352: Nov 04, 2021 08:32:13 am
      Just to add that last night was the most Virgil has looked like his old self since his return. Great to see.
      skamp
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 834 posts | 306 
      Reply #353: Nov 04, 2021 09:02:17 am
      Voted Sadio as MOTM as he was awesome despite the constant tripping, chopping, pushing, pulling, barging, wrestling of him for the whole half he played.

Behind Utd & Everton, this is the team I most hate in football!  Constant tripping, pushing, etc., (see above to Sadio) as well as the diving and staying down in "agony".  A team full of sh##houses managed by the biggest c### in football.

If ever 2 managers  mirrored their teams & vice-versa, its Klopp & Simeone.

Thought Ox did okay and hopefully not seriously injured.

Great to see Fab & Thiago back; they'll make a massive difference.

Hope Firmino's injury wasn't as bad as his expression indicated!

I love this club; keep our key players fit for most of the season, and we'll contend for the big trophies.

COYR!!!
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #354: Nov 04, 2021 09:16:45 am
      That was a joy to watch. Pity we could not add another goal or 3 but the football was beautiful.

Delighted for OX

Another show from Tsimikas that has me impressed

Thiago back on the pitch

Mo, seriously

Tough one Sunday but in this form you fancy us all day every day

Hope Bobbys not a serious injury, only downside of the night.

Atletico are dirt. Would love them to get done by Porto

Well in redmen
      rossyred
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,094 posts | 1632 
      Reply #355: Nov 04, 2021 09:57:06 am
      Konate will be the future but really think Matip has to start the big games offers a much a calmer influence so underrated
      ruthcity

• 6,867 posts | 1465 
      Reply #356: Nov 04, 2021 10:04:52 am

Disgraceful.

Yea, unsuitable for England duty. A big misfit. Don’t call him up anymore! Suits us fine!
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,053 posts | 82 
      Reply #357: Nov 04, 2021 10:33:38 am
      Ox looked pretty good. Many here have written him off but I see a guy that just lacks minutes to get into rhythm & swagger. The same for Origi: it's hard to be world class if you just play 30 serious minutes in 4 weeks.

Kostas > Robbo. Period.

Thiago should give us a break, else it would look dire in midfield (Keita, Milner, Jones all out).

I hope from now on Jürgen treats CL stage like the League Cup and does not do bs like last year with Jota.
      Don77

• 6,326 posts | 1036 
      Reply #358: Nov 04, 2021 10:45:39 am
      Very good performance I felt last night. Handled the game well at 2-0 ... but once again squandered a host of chances. Hopefully saving some for Sunday as we will be 6 points behind Chelsea when we ko and nothing less than 3 points will do.

Tsimikas played well again I thought ... Real competition for Robbo. Jota looked lively and great to have fab back as we just can't replace him. Thiago will hopefully start Sunday and help us to dominate posession.

Superb assists by trent and 2 great goals. No risks in the last 2 games ... the league Cup team will suffice. We lost Jota for 3 months last season in a pointless game and it it helps knock athletico out them im even more for it.

Finally , I hope that'd the last time we have to see that c**t play at anfield. Only diouf is a bigger c**t and I enjoyed giving him the send-off he deserved.

Onto Sunday we go .....
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #359: Nov 04, 2021 10:52:24 am
      Could have easily been 4 or 5 nil.
      Delighted to see AM thumped. Used to have a soft sport for them but have become a squad of expensively assembled shithouses in recent years.

Right decision to protect Mane and take him off at 1/2 time.

Such a shame Miniamino's goal didn't stand and Jota's run... VAR really should be allowing the goal if the striker is off the shoulder of the last defender.

Anyway. Onwards. Some much needed squad rotation now will do the players the world of good.
      adammac
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,757 posts | 239 
      • Heart As Big As Liverpool
      Reply #360: Nov 04, 2021 12:17:49 pm
      Job done with two games to spare is something not use to seeing, like other have mention it provides opportunity for squad players and odd youth players some minutes while rest our top guns (hoping Klopp learns from Jota lesson from last season).

Impressed with Tsimikas, this season he been very good every game he has featured in and though I don't expect him to displace Robbo has first choice any time soon but he should be featuring in more games. Curious to see if Klopp would be willing to try him at RB to cover TAA (though I doubt it).

tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,111 posts | 896 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #361: Nov 04, 2021 01:15:29 pm

Disgraceful.

Your totaly right but im glad he dosent play for England and Southgate. Our gain
      ozi_wozzy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,552 posts | 304 
      Reply #362: Nov 04, 2021 01:29:05 pm
      For me, last night showed how far we have come mentally. When we won CL and the league, it was a different team. We were just pure class, especially in attacking. However, what was different about last night was we are physically and mentally stronger. Athletico are a notoriously tough (even dirty) team, but we were superior in that front.

Pure class.

Added bonus:

- seeing the despondent look on Simeone's face. I've never seen a cheap gangster look so broken
      - Trippier close to tears after being kicked all over the park
      - we are not reliant on Mo as so many "pundits" falsely claim

YNWA.
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,111 posts | 896 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #363: Nov 04, 2021 04:40:13 pm
      Another awful game from our opponents, thay were cynical again if that's the best Spain can offer we're streets ahead in football ability, and as for Klopp my admiration increase with every game, knew what Simone was up to, and at the game didn't snub him but made him look like the spoiled brat he is GET THE F**k IN. Couldn't care if Porto beat us now at least it will make it more difficult for Athletico,
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #364: Nov 04, 2021 05:10:24 pm
      Couldn't care if Porto beat us now at least it will make it more difficult for Athletico,

Wouldn't go that far, hopefully Atletico miss out but I'd still rather we won our remaining 2 games. The more games you win, the more confidence and momentum it builds. We just need to concentrate on ourselves and topping the group with 6 wins from 6 should be the target, regardless of what is going on with the teams around us.
      bmck

• 9,404 posts | 1611 
      • YNWA
      Reply #365: Nov 04, 2021 06:28:03 pm
      Didn't expect it to be that comfortable. Super win. Hopefully Jürgen rotates a fair bit for the remaining CL games.
      Some great passes for the goals from TAA. And Fab back with Hendo is a solid base.
      Roll on WH, seem to be playing a strong side tonight.
      sore monad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,937 posts | 502 
      Reply #366: Nov 04, 2021 06:53:16 pm
      Just to add that last night was the most Virgil has looked like his old self since his return. Great to see.

Yeah, thought that as well. Couple of moments where you could see he still had that ability to just ease opponents out of it with seemingly no effort.
      ConzS
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,321 posts | 1016 
      Reply #367: Nov 04, 2021 09:09:08 pm
      Great night and a fantastic result but still got a bitter taste in my mouth about the boos towards Suarez. Just doesn’t sit right with me.

Quick Reply