Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v Atletico?

Alisson Becker
      0 (0%)
      Trent Alexander-Arnold
      33 (47.8%)
      Joel Matip
      0 (0%)
      Virgil van Dijk
      1 (1.4%)
      Kostas Tsimikas
      2 (2.9%)
      Jordan Henderson
      3 (4.3%)
       Fabinho
      2 (2.9%)
      Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain
      11 (15.9%)
      Sadio Mane
      6 (8.7%)
      Mohammed Salah
      3 (4.3%)
      Diogo Jota
      8 (11.6%)
      Roberto Firmino
      0 (0%)
      Divock Origi
      0 (0%)
      Nat Phillips
      0 (0%)
      Thiago Alcantara
      0 (0%)
      Takumi Minamino
      0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 69

Voting closed: Nov 07, 2021 09:54:21 pm

Liverpool 2-0 Atletico Madrid: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 11305 times
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,300 posts | 3869 
      Re: Liverpool 2-0 Atletico Madrid: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #368: Nov 04, 2021 10:21:05 pm
      Great night and a fantastic result but still got a bitter taste in my mouth about the boos towards Suarez. Just doesn’t sit right with me.

You do realise what he did and said when we played barca?
      ConzS
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,321 posts | 1016 
      Reply #369: Nov 04, 2021 11:48:15 pm
      I know what he did yes.

What did he say?
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,583 posts | 6643 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #370: Nov 05, 2021 03:07:53 am
      Get the fuckkkkk innnnnn

6 out of 6 points against that cheating, diving, moaning shower of sh*t Team. Hope they finish 4th in the group.

Loved how our lads just controlled the game when that was what was needed, so many passes to each other just knocked he stuffing out of them.

Top of The Group Baby!!!

Gill95
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,623 posts | 477 
      Reply #371: Nov 05, 2021 07:13:29 am
      Great night and a fantastic result but still got a bitter taste in my mouth about the boos towards Suarez. Just doesn’t sit right with me.

I think my brother told me that, he didn't even celebrate when he scored against Barcelona. But he did celebrate against us in the champions league. So yea, no sympathies for him.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #372: Nov 05, 2021 09:30:57 am
      I think my brother told me that, he didn't even celebrate when he scored against Barcelona. But he did celebrate against us in the champions league. So yea, no sympathies for him.

Don’t get the issue with players celebrating against their former clubs. We don’t have issue with it if we have a player score and celebrate against their former club so shouldn’t have issue with it when it happens to us. In fact it would irritate me a bit if we had a player not celebrate. Key part is “former”, obviously it’s a bit different if it’s a player that has spent 10 years at the club or whatever but Suarez was with us for about 3 years. Couldn’t care less if he celebrated or not, that goes for any player because the damage is done against us by scoring the goal, not doing a poxy celebration for 30 seconds.
      jimbo1962
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 867 posts | 101 
      Reply #373: Nov 05, 2021 10:27:07 am
      I dont know if this has been pointed out but we havent scored in the last four occasions when we were against 10 men, except for Mos penalty, I still shudder when I think of the pounding that city gave us when Sadio was sent off.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #374: Nov 05, 2021 10:35:24 am
      I dont know if this has been pointed out but we havent scored in the last four occasions when we were against 10 men, except for Mos penalty, I still shudder when I think of the pounding that city gave us when Sadio was sent off.

But we scored against Chelsea who had 10 men?
      jimbo1962
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 867 posts | 101 
      Reply #375: Nov 05, 2021 12:09:18 pm
      that was another peno
      Gill95
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,623 posts | 477 
      Reply #376: Nov 05, 2021 12:33:53 pm
      Don’t get the issue with players celebrating against their former clubs. We don’t have issue with it if we have a player score and celebrate against their former club so shouldn’t have issue with it when it happens to us. In fact it would irritate me a bit if we had a player not celebrate. Key part is “former”, obviously it’s a bit different if it’s a player that has spent 10 years at the club or whatever but Suarez was with us for about 3 years. Couldn’t care less if he celebrated or not, that goes for any player because the damage is done against us by scoring the goal, not doing a poxy celebration for 30 seconds.

I think it shows lack of respect to us, when he decides to show hypocrisy. F**k him though. Some booed him , some didn't. Hence the difference in the way of thought process.
      jimbo1962
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 867 posts | 101 
      Reply #377: Nov 05, 2021 01:04:59 pm
      ..at least he didnt do an Addybeyor..that wouldve  been disrespectful..
      Gill95
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,623 posts | 477 
      Reply #378: Nov 05, 2021 01:23:06 pm
      ..at least he didnt do an Addybeyor..that wouldve  been disrespectful..

Fans and the club stood by him during his racial abuse saga, did himself no favors after bite incident. Did the bite again in the world cup, wanted to move to arsenal....... the list can go. We can all think he was a great player or so. But atleast have some F***ing respect for the club that allowed him to make his ' dream move'. Anymore would turn this topic into suarez thread. So don't want that.

Just a different opinion I guess. Anyhow back on topic. Loved how we showed them their F***ing place. Wouldve been the same last year but Adrian did us no favors. Always thought they were our 'bogey' team, when looking back our last few matches be it in Europa or CL.
      Don77
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,326 posts | 1036 
      Reply #379: Nov 05, 2021 01:52:14 pm

Yeah, left a bitter taste in my mouth when we wore those stupid t-shirts to support a racist, when he made a fool of the king at OT, when he bit someone, when he went on strike to force a move through to arsenal and when he bit someone again to force his way out of the club. It left a bitter taste when he rubbed our noses in it at the neu camp and again when he tried to get our players sent off and injured robertson at anfield. I could go on.

An absolute c**t and when I tell my 5 year old about the legends of this club his name won't be getting mentioned as he isn't one ... brought nothing but shame and one good season playing for a move doesn't make you a legend at this great club. Hope I never have to see his name or look at him at anfield again.
      ruthcity

• 6,867 posts | 1465 
      Reply #380: Nov 05, 2021 03:11:35 pm

But we scored against Chelsea who had 10 men?

Who cares? Nobody cares! A goal is a goal. Three points is three points. Through to the next round is through to the next round. Nobody cares if it’s VAR mistake, an unlucky deflection, didn’t catch the ball clean, a softly awarded pen, unintentional pass that went in, and everything else that is not.

A goal is a goal. Those with ifs and buts are just bitter we were awarded these soft goals. They can go cry their hearts out. We don’t care! ;D
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,948 posts | 8458 
      Reply #381: Nov 05, 2021 03:55:29 pm

Behave, I'd expect nothing less from Suarez.

Proper F***ing wool behaviour the booing the other night though.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #382: Nov 05, 2021 03:55:52 pm
      Yeah, left a bitter taste in my mouth when we wore those stupid t-shirts to support a racist, when he made a fool of the king at OT, when he bit someone, when he went on strike to force a move through to arsenal and when he bit someone again to force his way out of the club. It left a bitter taste when he rubbed our noses in it at the neu camp and again when he tried to get our players sent off and injured robertson at anfield. I could go on.

An absolute c**t and when I tell my 5 year old about the legends of this club his name won't be getting mentioned as he isn't one ... brought nothing but shame and one good season playing for a move doesn't make you a legend at this great club. Hope I never have to see his name or look at him at anfield again.

See the embrace between Kenny and Luis though and the King seems to hold no grudges with either him or Torres.

Luis annoyed me in the first leg v Barca but ultimately he lost.

When I saw Torres and Suarez with King Kenny it just makes you realise that during the game its pretty much anything goes but after the game we move on.

I think that's why he got booed during the game and clapped off the pitch when his number came up.

The Torres days and the Suarez days were good times. Not like the Mo Salah days of course but good fun none the less.

I think I'm at the stage where if I walked past one of them in the streets of Madrid I'd give them a nod of appreciation and a smile and carry on walking.

Nando by the way is bloody ripped these days think I'd give a nod and a smile if he nicked my missus to be honest.
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,111 posts | 896 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #383: Nov 05, 2021 06:10:38 pm

Proper f**king wool behaviour the booing the other night though.

I agree while not an angle is time here was impressive
      rossyred

• 9,094 posts | 1632 
      Reply #384: Nov 05, 2021 07:09:55 pm

A proper street fighter will stop at nothing to achieve what he needs to in a game wouldn't be half the player if that side was not there
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,583 posts | 6643 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #385: Nov 05, 2021 10:27:44 pm

Hated it myself Bud...just listening to it made me cringe...even yelled out, don't boo him ya cu*ts during the match!! Obviously no one heard me with me being in Melbourne and all that.  :D
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #386: Nov 06, 2021 02:59:36 am

Totally agree no problem with a player who celebrates when he scores against his old club. We have the memories of his time with us and now he's trying to build new memories. Most of these guys are hired guns anyway, with nowhere near the loyalty to a club and its fans as what we have toward the players (there are players who are exceptions to this). That's just the reality in this money-driven, tradition-shy world we're in.

The only celebration I remember really bothering me is when Sakho, who was still on the books with us but on loan to Palace, comes out of the stand (despite being injured and not in the matchday squad) to celebrate a goal Benteke had scored by doing a secret handshake with him. That was proper shithousery on Mama's part.
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,300 posts | 3869 
      Reply #387: Nov 06, 2021 10:37:49 am
      Fans and the club stood by him during his racial abuse saga, did himself no favors after bite incident. Did the bite again in the world cup, wanted to move to arsenal....... the list can go. We can all think he was a great player or so. But atleast have some f**king respect for the club that allowed him to make his ' dream move'. Anymore would turn this topic into suarez thread. So don't want that.

Just a different opinion I guess. Anyhow back on topic. Loved how we showed them their f**king place. Wouldve been the same last year but Adrian did us no favors. Always thought they were our 'bogey' team, when looking back our last few matches be it in Europa or CL.

That second leg was incredible, still can’t believe we lost that.
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,833 posts | 701 
      Reply #388: Nov 07, 2021 01:57:23 pm
      Quote from UncleBob
      And me. The way he celebrated against us for one.....

His career was over here after he was banned from all football after his adventures at the World Cup. Yes he celebrated a goal he scored. Imagine that. Fwiw, I don't think it was that special, and it was at their place. Plenty of players have treated us far worse, one of which features in the next quote.

When he thought he scored in this game, all he wanted to do was get the ball back to the halfway line. I don't understand the rush tbh. You're not going to save time by dragging the ball out of the net and running back to the halfway line. A game will only resume when it suits the ref not the players. It failed to pass the VAR check thankfully, and the game resumed with a free kick to us instead.

Quote from Redangel
      Now him I wouldn’t boo, loved him for us, I know he went to Chelsea, but I always had a soft spot for him.

He will claim that they won the European Cup the year after, so he was right to move on. And it would be hard to resist anyone else who bolted, if they had to work with Hodgson. But the thing is, he never gave Kenny a chance to turn things around. So our response to that is justifiable.

Quote from ConzS
      We’ve not scored many against 10 men this season, think only one and it was a penalty. Must have played against 10 men for more than 2 hours.

1. v Chelsea 1-1
      2. v Leeds 3-0
      3. v Atletico 3-2

Quote from fields of anny rd
      Yeah giving himself too much air time not convinced that was a red.

His style along with Atletis antics was giving me a headache for 5 or 10 mins there so in the end the red card calmed everything down and stopped them even bothering to cheat their way to some points.

The red card squad got another to add to their collection. They were lucky only one was given. I thought it was a straight red before it was awarded to the thug. Take your pick from any or all of the below to cover it.

Cynical
      Tackle from behind
      Doesn't win the ball
      No attempt to play the ball
      Violent conduct
      Endangering safety of player.
      Disrespecting a match official.
      4th awful tackle on Mane that half.

That enough?

After the kick in the head dished out in the other game, that's 2 red cards for them in 2 games. By contrast, our last red card in the competition was in 2017.

I don't know how anyone admires that rugby side or who is in charge, but they do. He has never changed his ways, and they are the same rotten, sly, cynical bunch of thugs to face they always were. It was obvious Mane had to be subbed of course, that's the second time he's had to leave the field at half time against them in 2 years, for the exact same reason. They're an utter disgrace to the beautiful game. We'll let them bawl and brawl and boo and hack and hiss and whinge and whistle it out with the rest of the group, to see who trails in our wake for the right to face the likes of PSG and Juventus in the next round. I never want to face him or his gang of thugs home or away, ever again. Adios.

As for us, the result of the earlier game guaranteed us European football after Christmas. Now we're guaranteed to win the group with 2 games to spare, guaranteed the second leg at home in the next round, and hopefully a nice draw to help us reach the quarter finals. It's doing it the easy way, and it's an historic, unprecedented achievement for this club to wrap up a group this early in the competition, and it should be given all the credit it deserves.

Quick Reply