Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v West Ham?

Alisson Becker
      0 (0%)
      Trent Alexander-Arnold
      16 (27.1%)
      Virgil van Dijk
      13 (22%)
      Joel Matip
      2 (3.4%)
      Andy Robertson
      1 (1.7%)
       Fabinho
      4 (6.8%)
      Jordan Henderson
      1 (1.7%)
      Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain
      2 (3.4%)
      Sadio Mane
      3 (5.1%)
      Mohammed Salah
      2 (3.4%)
      Diogo Jota
      0 (0%)
      Thiago Alcantara
      0 (0%)
      Takumi Minamino
      0 (0%)
      Divock Origi
      15 (25.4%)

Total Members Voted: 59

Voting closed: Nov 11, 2021 06:29:38 pm

West Ham United 3-2 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 19487 times
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Re: West Ham United 3-2 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #736: Nov 08, 2021 09:32:07 am
      Can I ask genuinely

A first defeat in 25 games, against a very solid team, but effectively the loss was our own making, why do we feel the need to question everything? Why did we not buy him, why did we sell him, weve only spent this, should have played him etc etc

Us city and chelsea all on 1 defeat so far..You reckon chelsea and citys world collapsed when they lost? Were off top because we have drawn 2 more games then chelsea......that can be made up in the next 2 games

I really think some people need to relax before posting, have a little think about it. Whatever about in game when emotions are flying but afterwards when you have time to think.

We lost a game for the first time in 6 months by making some basic errors, not playing very well and not taking some of our own decent efforts.

Really its not a disaster and conversing about things that cant be changed or controlled now isnt going to change anything. 4 points off top in early November, yeah Ill take that....ill come back in a panic on new years day if were more than 8 points off top

I think the difference is we look like conceding against any team who decide to give it a go.

Klopp will no doubt look at the issue as it’s now become a recurrent theme.

Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,479 posts | 3285 
      Reply #737: Nov 08, 2021 10:14:29 am
      Am trying to quote Lallana in Pyjamas post number 664 relating to Klopp spending £560 million since his arrival but it won't let me quote the post.

This is what pisses me off about some supporters on this forum and in public in general. At least try and put things into perspective.

Klopp has actually spent £97,950,000. Link to information is here - https://www.anfield-online.co.uk/stats/Jürgen-klopp-lfc-transfer-signings.html

Amount spent on players in under Klopp - 41 Players Bought: £514,050,000.

Amount recouped on player sales under Klopp - 44 Players Sold: £416,100,000.

This equates to a spend of £19,590,000 per Season based on a 5 Season spread. When you actually use and demonstrate perspective it just highlights what a phenomenal job Klopp has done in his time here.

Anyone can say that Klopp has spent £560,000,000 in his time here, though the above figures and article link dispute that. When you make that statement without mentioning the fact that Klopp had to recoup £416,100,000 of that amount through moving players out of the Club then you are truly doing a disservice to the outstanding job he has actually done.

Guardiola has spent £918,017,363 since he took over. He has recouped £351,350,000. Equating to a net spend of roughly £120,000,000 per Season.

Just shy of £20 million per Season is Championship level spending. Let that sink in for a minute.

Klopp is a genius. Could Pep do what Klopp has done here? I doubt it. Pep is used to getting everything he wants, Klopp isn't afforded that luxury, yet he produces consistently. We are lucky to have him.

It’s still money spent - we still spent £75mil on VVD , still spent £60mil plus on Alisson

We are a club that is self sustaining so the net spend will be lower than others but that doesn’t even take away the bare fact that as a club we have spent a fair amount of money on players since Klopp arrived

No one is stating that Klopp isn’t doing a great job etc but when it comes to the transfers and finances - that’s edwards , it’s Edwards who is getting the £20mil plus for the likes of a Solanke , Ibe , etc

We all know the model - it hasn’t changed in a decade , Klopp knows the model , doesn’t appear to have any issues with it but let’s not try and act like we have spent on a shoe string budget - how many times have we broken our transfer record ? 3 ?

We have still spent as a club a lot of money on players over the past 5/6 years - that’s a fact
      Livershrew
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,393 posts | 376 
      Reply #738: Nov 08, 2021 10:16:39 am
      Just seeing it again , it’s a bit odd that an absolutely shocking challenge goes in on Henderson and not a single one of our players reacts. They all do absolutely nothing. Maybe they didn’t have a great view, but you could see on TV it was a bad one. And I’ve absolutely no idea why nobody just grabbed hold of Bowen and took a yellow on the 2nd goal. Maybe we are too nice…
      red trooper
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,834 posts | 67 
      • and don't be afraid of the dark
      Reply #739: Nov 08, 2021 10:27:40 am
      Wasn’t offered much protection by our players..

No support around him for the first goal..

quite agree, if that was a legal challenge then we stick Konate in front of the keeper every time we get a corner
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #740: Nov 08, 2021 10:50:23 am
      maybe Jürgen is the problem and is refusing to spend money on players which we know is rubbish Jürgen manages some of the best players in the world and they enjoy playing for him and the club so he isnt going to turn down another 2 or 3 top players. Yesterday was just a bad day which hopefully we will get over the next time we play but it proves we are light on numbers as always players will lose form and get injured.
      Hope we never see that Ref again he and the VAR team want sacking they had no hold or control of the game. I noticed Virgil looked very unhappy at times and I thought he actually had a good game I would like to have been a fly on the wall in the post match dressing room.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #741: Nov 08, 2021 10:57:46 am
      just reflecting on our corners why are we so passive why dont we try to push and shove like other team do. The Ref blows talks to a few people the corner is taken and then he blows for a foul it happens a lot . We really need to be a bit more streetwise ALi needs to fall over before the rf blows etc we need to be far more aggressive.
      murpies
      • Forum Dean Saunders

• 69 posts |
      Reply #742: Nov 08, 2021 11:00:55 am
      Well , it just a bad day for us (Liverpool), and we will bounce back even stronger . YNWA .
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,452 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #743: Nov 08, 2021 11:04:22 am
      Can I ask genuinely

A first defeat in 25 games, against a very solid team, but effectively the loss was our own making, why do we feel the need to question everything? Why did we not buy him, why did we sell him, weve only spent this, should have played him etc etc

Us city and chelsea all on 1 defeat so far..You reckon chelsea and citys world collapsed when they lost? Were off top because we have drawn 2 more games then chelsea......that can be made up in the next 2 games

I really think some people need to relax before posting, have a little think about it. Whatever about in game when emotions are flying but afterwards when you have time to think.

We lost a game for the first time in 6 months by making some basic errors, not playing very well and not taking some of our own decent efforts.

Really its not a disaster and conversing about things that cant be changed or controlled now isnt going to change anything. 4 points off top in early November, yeah Ill take that....ill come back in a panic on new years day if were more than 8 points off top

And Mane missed a sitter to make it 3-3, and some weird reffin.

Like I said before, just one of those games that happen sometimes.

waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #744: Nov 08, 2021 11:08:06 am
      just saw the third goal we had 7 players inside the 6 yard box and nobody moved and the W.Ham player just jogged to the back post unchallenged. Whilst Ali can take some blame surely we must make a challenge.
      Since Mo has had his agent talking about contracts and every body claiming him to be the best in the World he hasnt scored the lads just need to get back to working hard for each other and we will get back to form.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #745: Nov 08, 2021 11:24:13 am
      ill come back in a panic on new years day if were more than 8 points off top

To be honest, if we keep defending the way we are, we will be 8 points off top long before New Year’s Day. The fact that every game where we’ve let in a goal, Chelsea game aside, it has been 2-3 times we’ve been picking the ball out the net isn’t a good sign.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,821 posts | 4920 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #746: Nov 08, 2021 11:26:44 am
      Can’t for the life of me understand why so many on here are so quick to criticise when we have just lost for the first time in 25 in all comps, we got beat because Moyes tactics suited his team more than Jürgen’s did for us, his(Moyes) game plan worked a treat….do I really need to spell it out ?…ok I will for the numpties amongst us….they like most clubs have seen how we have absolutely battered teams all across Europe so far this season, ripped them to f***in bits, so your Moyes, what’s the most effective way of nullifying our threat ? no rocket scientist’s need apply, it’s putting 10 of your men behind the f***in ball and hit them on the counter, oh and when we get a set piece or two climb all over their keeper using our muscle in a very aggressive manner, and when we don’t have the ball squeeze the spaces in between the lines so they have f***in nowhere to go except from side to side,

You could have had Gini on there, or our Ste and it wouldn’t have made the slightest difference, fact is Ali fu**ed up for the first, watch it back and you will see he’s not watching what’s happening, he’s too engrossed with Antonio, and by the time the cross is enroute it’s already too late, Ogbonna has beaten him to the ball, Ali is left flapping, now you can argue all you want about him being impeded, he wasn’t, he simply wasn’t focussed on the ball coming over,
      So we’re now against it, and if we didn’t know already Moyes tactics were in full flow, ten behind the ball, we’ll hit them in the break,

From then on we struggled, couldn’t find a rhythm, were too slow in the build up and had no space to work with, thought the ref was a f***in joke, another example of how inept the officials are for this league, out of his depth is a understatement, and how the F**k Cresswell stays on the pitch is beyond me, that assault on Hendo was reminiscent of that Kunt Pickford on Virgil, I honestly feared the worst, and why didn’t VAR intervene?

I could go on and on but I won’t, in a very large nutshell, it was a very bad day at the office, that is all, we’ve all seen bad office days before and no doubt we will again, in a funny sort of way this a good time for a international break, (personally I’d withdraw all my players from international duty) and spend the two weeks in a training camp somewhere warm and sunny, F**k National pride !

Although I hate to say it but fair play to Moyes and his boys, they did a job on us and hopefully when the time is right they will employ  the same tactics to City and Chavs, these kind of things even themselves  out, it was just our turn to miss out that’s all.

WE GO AGAIN!!!!

Y  N  W  A
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,948 posts | 8458 
      Reply #747: Nov 08, 2021 11:30:12 am
      Poor defending and poor passing is what cost us yesterday. They hit us from corners and from us giving away possession.

Can't be arsed scapegoating as we just weren't good enough as a team.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #748: Nov 08, 2021 11:31:22 am
      how the f**k Cresswell stays on the pitch is beyond me, that assault on Hendo was reminiscent of that Kunt Pickford on Virgil, I honestly feared the worst, and why didn’t VAR intervene?

VAR did intervene, they deemed it fair. It seems that when it comes to putting the knees of our players at risk, anything is fair game because the way neither Pickford or Cresswell have seen red for those challenges is shocking. Cresswell didn’t even get a yellow.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #749: Nov 08, 2021 11:39:27 am
      VAR did intervene, they deemed it fair. It seems that when it comes to putting the knees of our players at risk, anything is fair game because the way neither Pickford or Cresswell have seen red for those challenges is shocking. Cresswell didn’t even get a yellow.

studs to the kneee, Ive seen reds for far less
      ToshackKeeganOneNil
      • Forum Phil Thompson

• 488 posts | 100 
      Reply #750: Nov 08, 2021 11:59:07 am
      Amazing how, in some peoples eyes, we've gone from brilliant (stuffing the sh*t in their own cesspool and destroying the horrible but talented Spanish champions in the CL) to no hopers in the space of four days. And all because Gini left and wasn't replaced with a player costing north of £50m. Have I got it right?
      Fourbrick
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 844 posts | 235 
      Reply #751: Nov 08, 2021 12:03:32 pm
      Seems Becker has lost his bottle. He was bullied out of the two corner goals by the attention of Antonio. He should also have saved the misfit by Fornals for the second. Time to Give Kelleher a chance?
      O'k. the referee was pschit but it happens. (That's what you get when Sheffield man refs one of our games.)
      How Cresswell was not even booked is amazing to all.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #752: Nov 08, 2021 12:12:45 pm
      It's my fault blame me!

Set the alarm for 3.10am for KO at 3.30, said 5 more minutes, slept thru till the 75th minute...turn on TV..Zouma scores instantly, then Div scores, thought here we go, then Sadio missed,

Turned off TV and tried to go back to bed but too gutted!!

I have a trial for a streaming service here called Sling (had to cut my TV services) and I set the DVR to record it. When. I returned home I couldn't get it to play and next thing I know it shows me the post match show going on live. So I got my depression early and watched the match cold and sad.. I share your guilt.
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,030 posts | 1973 
      Reply #753: Nov 08, 2021 12:16:13 pm
      Seems Becker has lost his bottle. He was bullied out of the two corner goals by the attention of Antonio. He should also have saved the misfit by Fornals for the second. Time to Give Kelleher a chance?
      O'k. the referee was pschit but it happens. (That's what you get when Sheffield man refs one of our games.)
      How Cresswell was not even booked is amazing to all.

No. I like kelleher but you can’t drop Ali. He’s the worlds best keeper.

I’ve watched it back today and I still find the criticism of Ali a little harsh to be honest. He has to do better for the goals for a keeper of his standard especially but F**k me our defence didn’t give the poor guy a chance.

He also made a class save with his feet when they were through on goal again in a situation similar to their second goal.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #754: Nov 08, 2021 12:33:49 pm
      No. I like kelleher but you can’t drop Ali. He’s the worlds best keeper.

I’ve watched it back today and I still find the criticism of Ali a little harsh to be honest. He has to do better for the goals for a keeper of his standard especially but f**k me our defence didn’t give the poor guy a chance.

He also made a class save with his feet when they were through on goal again in a situation similar to their second goal.

Hes class but he was weak on the first goal he needs to use his weight more. The 2nd goal, no excuse not to save that in any which way you look at it

I mentioned yesterday in the postmatch I think, that we dont seem to learn from previous errors. Ali on the 1st is a good example. Hes a big man but thats not the first time hes been bullied at corners. Hes not a small man he needs to use his physical attributes more in those situations.

Im any other prem lge manager I look at yesterday and think hello what have we here, on corners these boys are dodge.

Tell ye who be all over that, Rafa in a few weeks
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,030 posts | 1973 
      Reply #755: Nov 08, 2021 12:51:30 pm
      Hes class but he was weak on the first goal he needs to use his weight more. The 2nd goal, no excuse not to save that in any which way you look at it

I mentioned yesterday in the postmatch I think, that we dont seem to learn from previous errors. Ali on the 1st is a good example. Hes a big man but thats not the first time hes been bullied at corners. Hes not a small man he needs to use his physical attributes more in those situations.

Im any other prem lge manager I look at yesterday and think hello what have we here, on corners these boys are dodge.

Tell ye who be all over that, Rafa in a few weeks

I thought he was weak too or perhaps looking for a foul which keepers normally get when they’re challenged.

But it was school boy defending from us. You don’t allow a player to stand on your keeper, you put a player in-between your goalie and their player to challenge and to give your keeper some protection. We should have actually put another player on the toes of their attacker too. Had we done that, something so basic, then they don’t score.

The second goal goes through Ali so in that sense he should save it, but their lad is clean through and I expected him to score anyway. Anything Ali does at that moment is just a huge bonus to be honest. It was no different to conceding a penalty really. You expect them to score but if your goalie saves it then it’s a huge relief.

He made up for it minutes later too in almost identical situation and that time he saved.

It wasn’t his best day by any means but he had such sh*t protection yesterday. Our lads defended like kids at times.

billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,821 posts | 4920 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #756: Nov 08, 2021 01:36:16 pm
      I thought he was weak too or perhaps looking for a foul which keepers normally get when they’re challenged.

But it was school boy defending from us. You don’t allow a player to stand on your keeper, you put a player in-between your goalie and their player to challenge and to give your keeper some protection. We should have actually put another player on the toes of their attacker too. Had we done that, something so basic, then they don’t score.

The second goal goes through Ali so in that sense he should save it, but their lad is clean through and I expected him to score anyway. Anything Ali does at that moment is just a huge bonus to be honest. It was no different to conceding a penalty really. You expect them to score but if your goalie saves it then it’s a huge relief.

He made up for it minutes later too in almost identical situation and that time he saved.

It wasn’t his best day by any means but he had such sh*t protection yesterday. Our lads defended like kids at times.

Agree, zonal marking in these situations is w*nk, Ali needed help in there and it wasn’t there, had there been he would have concentrated more than he did, he was too pre-occupied with Antonio, which isn’t his job, one or two of our blokes standing on their toes wouldn’t have helped, but Ali did flap at Ogbonna and there should also be bodies on the line, against this kind of opposition we need to defend properly and not zonally !!
      sore monad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,937 posts | 502 
      Reply #757: Nov 08, 2021 01:50:53 pm
      Amazing how, in some peoples eyes, we've gone from brilliant (stuffing the sh*t in their own cesspool and destroying the horrible but talented Spanish champions in the CL) to no hopers in the space of four days. And all because Gini left and wasn't replaced with a player costing north of £50m. Have I got it right?

Pretty much seems to be the view.
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,053 posts | 82 
      Reply #758: Nov 08, 2021 02:05:36 pm
      Rewatched the game and what did strike me most is how wasted Ox is in this system. He just does not fit in there anymore.

Quick Reply