Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Steve Gerrard Watch

Read 3462 times
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,455 posts | 1478 
      • "If you are second, you are nothing."
      Steve Gerrard Watch
      Nov 11, 2021 10:34:27 am
      Villa manager then.

Good luck to him. Hope he finishes second.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,821 posts | 4920 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Re: Steve Gerrard Watch
      Reply #1: Nov 11, 2021 11:13:14 am
      I’m not so sure this is a good move for Stevie, he’s done brilliantly well up at Ibrox but the Scottish prem is a totally different kettle of pigeons to the EPL, I don’t want to undermine his achievements or his ambitions but I think he’s still in his managerial infancy, and I think a spell perhaps in the championship with whoever would be a more appropriate step for this stage of his managerial career, of course the proof will be in the pudding, but it is a risk taking on a club that for the most part is unlikely to challenge the top 4,

If it were to go tits up and ends up being bagged where would that leave his reputation and perhaps his aspirations of managing us one day, look, I’m not usually one to have a negative outlook on anything regards LFC but it just doesn’t sit well with me, it’s a massive test for Stevie, and I do wish him well, but is he trying to run before he can walk ?

Y  N  W  A
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,479 posts | 3285 
      Reply #2: Nov 11, 2021 11:49:03 am
      If he wants to manage us then he will need show he can manage in the top league first

This a role he needed to do before taking us on
      Don77
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,326 posts | 1036 
      Reply #3: Nov 11, 2021 11:50:09 am
      I’m not so sure this is a good move for Stevie, he’s done brilliantly well up at Ibrox but the Scottish prem is a totally different kettle of pigeons to the EPL, I don’t want to undermine his achievements or his ambitions but I think he’s still in his managerial infancy, and I think a spell perhaps in the championship with whoever would be a more appropriate step for this stage of his managerial career, of course the proof will be in the pudding, but it is a risk taking on a club that for the most part is unlikely to challenge the top 4,

If it were to go tits up and ends up being bagged where would that leave his reputation and perhaps his aspirations of managing us one day, look, I’m not usually one to have a negative outlook on anything regards LFC but it just doesn’t sit well with me, it’s a massive test for Stevie, and I do wish him well, but is he trying to run before he can walk ?

Y  N  W  A

He has done a few years at Rangers now, won trophies ... got European experience as well via Europe league ... do you think he should go to the championship next?

I'm sorry but he obviously has aspirations of the liverpool job and a few Scottish titles isn't going to cut it.

He probably thinks klopp is leaving ... 2 more seasons after this. If he wants this job he needs to prove himself in the prem first. Because he can win 5 in a row up there ... if he got villa up the table this season and challenging for top 6and  Europe next season that would carry alot more weight and he knows that.

Scottish football is no barometer I'm afraid.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #4: Nov 11, 2021 12:05:16 pm
      if he got villa up the table this season and challenging for top 6and  Europe next season that would carry alot more weight and he knows that.

Or Villa could end up getting relegated this season and he will be known for getting them relegated. Then in all likelihood Villa will sack him. Nobody is denying he needs to manage a Premier League team but the timing is poor and could potentially hurt his chances of managing us. After recently giving interviews saying he was happy at Rangers, not to ask him stupid questions about leaving the club etc, he should honoured his word and stayed until the end of the season. Managing in the Premier League is great experience but managing Rangers in the Europa League is better than a relegation dog fight with Villa IMO. There’d have been plenty of options in the summer to go to a club in much better circumstances and without the instant pressure on his job.
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,455 posts | 1478 
      • "If you are second, you are nothing."
      Reply #5: Nov 11, 2021 01:05:19 pm

Y  N  W  A

Fully agree. I can see why he took it, it's the Prem, it's Villa, a club with heritage, and it was an opportunity too good to miss. Still, I think he probably should have gone to the Championship first.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,821 posts | 4920 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #6: Nov 11, 2021 02:24:24 pm
      He has done a few years at Rangers now, won trophies ... got European experience as well via Europe league ... do you think he should go to the championship next?

I'm sorry but he obviously has aspirations of the liverpool job and a few Scottish titles isn't going to cut it.

He probably thinks klopp is leaving ... 2 more seasons after this. If he wants this job he needs to prove himself in the prem first. Because he can win 5 in a row up there ... if he got villa up the table this season and challenging for top 6and  Europe next season that would carry alot more weight and he knows that.

The Championship is for me can be a tougher assignment than the prem, depending on which club your manager of, it’s the toughest league to come out of imo, if your at a club languishing below half way then your owners are unlikely to hold ambitions to go much higher, and spending power probably limited, if they have aspirations of top six and beyond then that’s where your managerial skills will be most required, and therefore provides a good grounding to hone your skills as both a coach, your methods and the style you want your players to play with and all the rest of the mind blowing stuff that comes with it,

The same cannot be said of the Scottish prem where essentially there are only a few teams that offers a similar kind of challenge as perhaps maybe 6-8 clubs would in the championship, it is of course different again in the EPL, where if your challenges lie within the top six it’s a fair assumption your doing pretty well, then you have the middle section where club ambitions are simply to stay in the division aka, Blueshite, Southampton, Brighton, Mancs etc, whereas the bottom feeders have a different kind of challenge altogether,

FWIW…..I’m not of the opinion that Stevie is a shoe in if indeed Jürgen hangs up his snood, I would prefer that Pep Ljinders take the reigns and continue to work with the squad so familiar with the philosophy and methods that have seen us as one of the best clubs on the planet, as ambitious as no doubt Stevie is, he’s not yet gained the experience that he will need to sustain the levels of success that we have all enjoyed the last 5/6 years.

My hope is that Jürgen extends his time with us and he brings about more titles and silverware, and all this debate of who how and when will disappear like a fart in the wind.

Y  N  W  A
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,961 posts | 3943 
      Reply #7: Nov 11, 2021 02:42:17 pm

Of course mate but the experience will serve him well.
      bmck

• 9,404 posts | 1611 
      • YNWA
      Reply #8: Nov 11, 2021 04:00:56 pm
      Delighted for Stevie :) Think this is a good move for him. Not an easy move, AV and the PL is a BIG step up from Rangers, but if he wants to prove himself in management, after doing well in the SPL, AV is not a bad place to go next.

Think he's the 9th manager there 10 years, so am sure that'll be in his mind.

But if he has ambitions to manage at the highest level, this is a move he has to make, can argue its a bit soon, but like Busby said about players, if your good enough, your old enough [I know, a Utd mgr, oh well]

Really tough job management, so can only wish him all the very best !!!!!!

And can't wait to see him bring Villa to Anfield on Dec-11 :) :)
      Don77

• 6,326 posts | 1036 
      Reply #9: Nov 11, 2021 05:25:27 pm
      Or Villa could end up getting relegated this season and he will be known for getting them relegated. Then in all likelihood Villa will sack him. Nobody is denying he needs to manage a Premier League team but the timing is poor and could potentially hurt his chances of managing us. After recently giving interviews saying he was happy at Rangers, not to ask him stupid questions about leaving the club etc, he should honoured his word and stayed until the end of the season. Managing in the Premier League is great experience but managing Rangers in the Europa League is better than a relegation dog fight with Villa IMO. There’d have been plenty of options in the summer to go to a club in much better circumstances and without the instant pressure on his job.

Did he give his word he was staying till the end of the season? I don't think I heard him say that. You calling him disloyal? He's done the job he went up there to do. 

Hope he isn't looking at it like a doom n gloom merchant like you. If he doesn't cut it and they get relegated and sacked as you think could happen then he won't be getting the liverpool job will he? Better to find out that way than him winning another couple of titles up there , then he comes here and gets found out. Id rather him get found out at villa.

He wants to prove himself as a manager. Villa play in the best league in the world and have alot of quality players. Great timing for him and a good club.

I think he will do a good job there are I wish him well.
      Don77

• 6,326 posts | 1036 
      Reply #10: Nov 11, 2021 05:27:56 pm
      Delighted for Stevie :) Think this is a good move for him. Not an easy move, AV and the PL is a BIG step up from Rangers, but if he wants to prove himself in management, after doing well in the SPL, AV is not a bad place to go next.

Think he's the 9th manager there 10 years, so am sure that'll be in his mind.

But if he has ambitions to manage at the highest level, this is a move he has to make, can argue its a bit soon, but like Busby said about players, if your good enough, your old enough [I know, a Utd mgr, oh well]

Really tough job management, so can only wish him all the very best !!!!!!

And can't wait to see him bring Villa to Anfield on Dec-11 :) :)

This all day. Excellent post mate
      therealjr
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,116 posts | 147 
      Reply #11: Nov 11, 2021 05:29:26 pm
      Lampard went to the championship first. Then to his dream job at the ‘big’ club.
      Didn’t exactly work out for him did it!
      Stevie will know the risks.
      Don77

• 6,326 posts | 1036 
      Reply #12: Nov 11, 2021 06:02:31 pm
      Lampard went to the championship first. Then to his dream job at the ‘big’ club.

Exactly. Lampard got the job he coveted with no experience managing in the Premier League. He probably knew it was too soon but couldn't turn it down.

The championship is more competitive and much higher in quality than the Scottish league.

Every job in the prem is a pressure cooker ... lose 4 or 5 on the spin and you are sacked. There are no easy assignments in this league. Villa are a big club, get big crowds and have some quality players and he should do well there. He has all the tools at his disposal and there should be some money left over from the grealish sale for him to bring in some players in Jan if he feels they need them. For me they have too much quality to go down. I'm not sure what happened under smith toward the end but they have been decent.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #13: Nov 11, 2021 06:08:11 pm
      Did he give his word he was staying till the end of the season? I don't think I heard him say that. You calling him disloyal? He's done the job he went up there to do.

Literally said in an interview a couple of weeks ago how he was happy and settled and not to be asked stupid questions about his future…
      As for him being disloyal, you only need to look at the Rangers fan base to get your answer on that. I don’t see anything wrong with thinking he should’ve seen out the season with Rangers, try and get the 2nd title and keep their Europa League push going and then start his PL management career off with a fresh basis from the summer rather than November with a team in a mess.

Hope he isn't looking at it like a doom n gloom merchant like you.

Doom and gloom merchant? Haha! Get a grip, people not allowed an opinion?. They’ve just sacked the manager that got them to a strong season last year, then less than half way in they’ve binned him off because they’re back to struggling and being more like the team they actually are. It’s not being unreasonable to say that if he can’t keep them up, chances are he will be losing his job.

« Last Edit: Nov 11, 2021 06:19:13 pm by 7-King Kenny-7 »
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,662 posts | 2656 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #14: Nov 11, 2021 06:34:17 pm

Same could be said about Celtic ex boss Neil Lennon. How long did he last in the Premier league? 6 months?
      bmck

• 9,404 posts | 1611 
      • YNWA
      Reply #15: Nov 11, 2021 06:51:37 pm

Much more expectation for success at Chelsea though, think that was a more risky job to take for a manager with his experience. Like, I don't think Stevie would be ready to take over at one of the top PL clubs either.
      Villa obviously want to do well, but I'd say if he can keep them up and maybe hit mid table they'll be happy enough.
      And yeah, he's not stupid, he's knows what he's getting into.
      bmck

• 9,404 posts | 1611 
      • YNWA
      Reply #16: Nov 11, 2021 06:53:41 pm
      Wonder if he'll be trying to get hold of any Liverpool players, took a few into Rangers :)
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,111 posts | 896 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #17: Nov 11, 2021 07:08:17 pm

I agree Scottish football is no barometer but he has proved himself there, now maybe time to prove himself in the big league, hope he does, it big job now wish him well, good luck Steve
      UncleBob
      • Spotify Bob
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,135 posts | 567 
      Reply #18: Nov 11, 2021 10:04:08 pm
      I don’t see the logic personally.
      Best villa can ever hope for is 6th (at a push) and that will lead to what?
      If he wins a cup or finishes top 4 it would stand out otherwise it’s a nothing achievement.

Personally I would have stayed at rangers, at least until the end of the season. Grabbed another couple of trophies and see what’s available in the summer.
      Benito
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,918 posts | 281 
      Reply #19: Nov 11, 2021 11:13:56 pm
      Firstly yes of course it’s a huge risk. Secondly, shows he’s got balls and willing to test his mettle. I hope he smashes it.

With Ings, Watkins, Buendia, McGinn and Cash they should have more than enough to stay up as can score goals. Get a first season under his belt by getting them back mid table, and push on next year to show everyone what his managerial abilities are made of.
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,833 posts | 701 
      Reply #20: Nov 13, 2021 01:50:57 pm
      Quote from billythered
      FWIW…..I’m not of the opinion that Stevie is a shoe in if indeed Jürgen hangs up his snood, I would prefer that Pep Ljinders take the reigns and continue to work with the squad so familiar with the philosophy and methods that have seen us as one of the best clubs on the planet, as ambitious as no doubt Stevie is, he’s not yet gained the experience that he will need to sustain the levels of success that we have all enjoyed the last 5/6 years.

My hope is that Jürgen extends his time with us and he brings about more titles and silverware, and all this debate of who how and when will disappear like a fart in the wind.
          Y  N  W  A

We hope Jürgen extends his time, but whether he does or not, won't end the debate.

I'm astonished Gerrard took the job. I get the ambition, nothing wrong with that. But he's just given up a safe job competing for titles at a club he's adored at, for a relegation dogfight at a nothing club with no patience, and he has to compete against us. People tell us they're a big club, but since we beat them to the title in 1990, all they've won is a couple of league cups. 5 straight defeats is all it took for one of their fans to lose that job, so how long are they going to give him? The timing is awful also. If he is a success, it's going to be harder for us to get him out of there, if he's a failure he will be on the scrapheap before he knows it.

Lijnders had his chance at management, didn't do a great job at a nothing club with no expectations, so no I wouldn't give him the keys here when the time comes.
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,479 posts | 3285 
      Reply #21: Nov 13, 2021 03:26:42 pm
      I’ll be blunt

If Klopp does leave when his contract finishes then I still don’t believe Gerrard will be the right person to take over

We imo will need a proven experienced manager with European pedigree and proven to win - some one like Ten Haag would be perfect and Flick etc

HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #22: Nov 13, 2021 03:57:35 pm
      I’ll be blunt

If Klopp does leave when his contract finishes then I still don’t believe Gerrard will be the right person to take over

We imo will need a proven experienced manager with European pedigree and proven to win - some one like Ten Haag would be perfect and Flick etc

If you think the love in for him as a player was mad wait until my fellow Huytonian is bringing home the League and European Cup double!!

If ever someone was nailed on to be a Liverpool manager it's Gerrard.

Quick Reply