Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

FSG in talks to buy Pittsburgh Penguins

Read 6662 times
      Redman7804
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 570 posts | 267 
      Re: FSG in talks to buy Pittsburgh Penguins
      Reply #23: Nov 18, 2021 02:04:28 pm
      It's the typical overreaction of the fickle fan. Back when FSG bought Liverpool, i remember the outcry of Red Sox fans that their team was going to be decimated because FSG was going to focus on Liverpool. FSG is a portfolio of entities, of which there are 7 of them each of which are run independently and don't commingle. Buying the Penguins or any other sports team does not interfere with any of the other 7.

Using the term fickle fan is wrong mate, sorry it is
      You’re either using it because you don’t understand them, or you’re unwilling to understand them, or simply to get a rise out of them
      None of those things are becoming of you

Whether you agree with them and the way they criticise the owners you can’t call people who go back 50 plus years - which even as a new person on this forum I can see they do by the references they use - fickle

Everyone - I presume - wants the best for the club, it’s certainly not fickle to demand the owners go that extra mile, even if we all know they won’t and it doesn’t fit their model, which they have told us since day one they will do

I said the other day, the sad thing about these type of debates is no one seems willing to compromise and see both sides of the debate and using the term fickle fan is a prime example of that

Shame really
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,963 posts | 3944 
      Reply #24: Nov 18, 2021 02:45:36 pm
      suck it up mate history will eventually prove the doubters correct and the smell of profit will just be too much to refuse. Meanwhile we will need to jump through hoops to give JĂźrgen some quality players in January.

Closed the FSG discussion thread next move is you will be getting warned for comment such as the above.
      Borg
      • Forum Jamie Redknapp
      • Started Topic

• 317 posts | 80 
      Reply #25: Nov 22, 2021 07:08:37 pm
      FSG had bigger ambitions than just a NHL franchise......

Fenway Sports Group previously explored the possibility of joining forces with Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment, reports Sportsnet's Elliotte Friedman.
      MLSE....... the company that oversees the NHL's Toronto Maple Leafs, NBA's Toronto Raptors, MLS' Toronto FC, and Scotiabank Arena.
      "About 12-18 months ago, before Fenway Sports Group went down this road with the Penguins, an emissary was dispatched to ask Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment ... if they would be interested in a merger with Fenway,"

https://www.thescore.com/epl/news/2231051
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,963 posts | 3944 
      Reply #26: Nov 22, 2021 08:04:46 pm
      FSG had bigger ambitions than just a NHL franchise......

Fenway Sports Group previously explored the possibility of joining forces with Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment, reports Sportsnet's Elliotte Friedman.
      MLSE....... the company that oversees the NHL's Toronto Maple Leafs, NBA's Toronto Raptors, MLS' Toronto FC, and Scotiabank Arena.
      "About 12-18 months ago, before Fenway Sports Group went down this road with the Penguins, an emissary was dispatched to ask Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment ... if they would be interested in a merger with Fenway,"

https://www.thescore.com/epl/news/2231051

Little doubt that NESV will have investigated every aspect of this latest acquisition and found it to be a soluble, completely self-sustaining financial proposition.

That description precludes any need for further cash input perfectly fitting the FSG business model.
      « Last Edit: Nov 22, 2021 08:57:33 pm by stuey »
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #27: Nov 22, 2021 09:41:12 pm
      Little doubt that NESV will have investigated every aspect of this latest acquisition and found it to be a soluble, completely self-sustaining financial proposition.

That description precludes any need for further cash input perfectly fitting the FSG business model.

they are making a fortune on the backs of Shankly, Paisley, Joe, Kenny and generations of scousers who put every penny they over generation to support the team home and away modern football makes me sick.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,963 posts | 3944 
      Reply #28: Nov 22, 2021 10:01:25 pm
      they are making a fortune on the backs of Shankly, Paisley, Joe, Kenny and generations of scousers who put every penny they over generation to support the team home and away modern football makes me sick.

The market value of their various business entities is the only interest our owners have, tradition and history count for nothing.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #29: Nov 23, 2021 02:58:17 pm
      The market value of their various business entities is the only interest our owners have, tradition and history count for nothing.

I challenge them to go walkabout up Breck Road and thereabouts so they can gauge what people really think of them. Leave the body guards behind but ear defenders may be required
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,948 posts | 8458 
      Reply #30: Nov 23, 2021 07:15:40 pm
      I challenge them to go walkabout up Breck Road and thereabouts so they can gauge what people really think of them. Leave the body guards behind but ear defenders may be required

Or go for a bevvy in The Sandon like Hicks Jnr did!!
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,479 posts | 3285 
      Reply #31: Nov 23, 2021 07:21:04 pm
      I suspect if they did walk into the Sandon they would be welcomed , people will question them respectfully in regards any issues they have and also some poor choices over the previous years but they wouldn’t get lynched etc
      Redman7804
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 570 posts | 267 
      Reply #32: Nov 23, 2021 07:28:31 pm
      I suspect if they did walk into the Sandon they would be welcomed , people will question them respectfully in regards any issues they have and also some poor choices over the previous years but they wouldn’t get lynched etc

I imagine if they did the vast majority wouldn’t give a sh*te they were there

Little chance of it though as for one the Sandon isn’t in New England and two there’s a chance they’d have to put their hands in their pockets 😉
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,963 posts | 3944 
      Reply #33: Nov 23, 2021 10:42:39 pm

Once again you excel in your stupidity and complete ignorance of the subject matter.
      Have you any experience of the pub in question especially on match day?
      What makes you think our owners would not be subjected to the strongest scrutiny and offensive approaches?

No reason to think they would be up for a stay behind!
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,479 posts | 3285 
      Reply #34: Nov 29, 2021 06:29:22 pm
      https://twitter.com/xxx/status/1465377367153590272?s=21

They have completed the purchase of the Penguins
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #35: Nov 29, 2021 06:36:50 pm
      I am sure Aldi do an alternative to Penguins that would have been far cheaper. The sooner this shower F**k off the better we are not just a part of a business portfolio for rich men.
      Del Boca Vista
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,006 posts | 208 
      • do do do
      Reply #36: Nov 29, 2021 10:38:28 pm
      I am sure Aldi do an alternative to Penguins that would have been far cheaper. The sooner this shower f**k off the better we are not just a part of a business portfolio for rich men.

do you think we're going to get some old school 70's style owner or something who owns nothing else and is a billionare and puts his own money into the team so we can buy Lewandowski?
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #37: Nov 29, 2021 10:53:58 pm
      do you think we're going to get some old school 70's style owner or something who owns nothing else and is a billionare and puts his own money into the team so we can buy Lewandowski?

you mean people who would actually put their money into the club as apposed to making the club financially reliant on itself.
      CT_LFC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,782 posts | 1395 
      Reply #38: Nov 29, 2021 11:19:23 pm

And a life long Liverpool supporter.
      Gill95
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,623 posts | 477 
      Reply #39: Nov 30, 2021 03:17:03 am
      you mean people who would actually put their money into the club as apposed to making the club financially reliant on itself.

What's wrong with the later approach? I see it being a far bigger long term thing instead of a short term fix. Very few successful clubs are well run without dosh being injected into the club. Except for city and Chelsea, can you give me proper examples of clubs putting in money at the top of their teams life cycle? And please don't include united into it. They have already booked their profit from signing Ronaldo.
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,208 posts | 1503 
      Reply #40: Nov 30, 2021 10:35:15 am

Tradition and history can be a powerful thing, depending on the level of both.
      In our case, it means a much bigger world wide fan base than most, so commercial nouse can reap bigger rewards.
      Compared to the likes of Watford, Palace, West Ham etc etc.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #41: Nov 30, 2021 02:19:59 pm
      David Moores sold because he could not compete with the likes of Chelsea or City or UTD he thought he could manage ÂŁ20mil net a year if he had been introduced to FSG with their plan to make the club financially self sufficient he would not have sold to them because he could have done that.
      We would not have bought Ali or Virgil if we had not sold Suarez and Phil so forgive me if I dont think FSG are model owners they are model self serving business men.
      Going back to Moores selling he would not have sold ifhe could have borrowed money todays low rates. So I will not be watching the NHL shouting GO Penguins
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,479 posts | 3285 
      Reply #42: Nov 30, 2021 02:49:27 pm
      David Moores sold because he could not compete with the likes of Chelsea or City or UTD he thought he could manage ÂŁ20mil net a year if he had been introduced to FSG with their plan to make the club financially self sufficient he would not have sold to them because he could have done that.
      We would not have bought Ali or Virgil if we had not sold Suarez and Phil so forgive me if I dont think FSG are model owners they are model self serving business men.
      Going back to Moores selling he would not have sold ifhe could have borrowed money todays low rates. So I will not be watching the NHL shouting GO Penguins

If Moores could have done it - why didn’t he during the years 91-2008 ?

We have bought more than Alison and VVD

Mo
      Mane
      Gini
      Naby
      Thiago
      Ox
      Konate
      Firmino
      Jota
      Fabinho

What did you think when they sold Keegan and bought Kenny ?

Or when we sold Rush and used the money to buy Barnes and Beardsley

The club in past have always sold players and used the money to buy players - even way back in the 70’s and 80’s

I suspect no one was crying about net spend then

I’m not sure who are “model” owners - is there such a thing ?
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #43: Nov 30, 2021 05:53:52 pm
      thought the FSG fanboy would be quick to remark with as usual half truths dressed up as facts.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #44: Nov 30, 2021 07:50:37 pm
      Can’t be arsed with what other sports venture they buy…

My concern is this, If & when FSG sell for the quoted value, what type of owner would have that kind of purchase money & then to sustain the club with that kind of further investment… not possible…

If anything we would be left in a far more vulnerable position….
      « Last Edit: Nov 30, 2021 08:06:29 pm by Shabs »
      Redman7804
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 570 posts | 267 
      Reply #45: Nov 30, 2021 07:52:02 pm
      Doesn’t really matter what something is valued at… just what someone is willing to pay

Quick Reply