Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 19th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P21 W11 D8 L2

Liverpool to add Claudio Taffarel to coaching staff

Read 2950 times
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 31,036 posts | 6285 
      Liverpool to add Claudio Taffarel to coaching staff
      Nov 30, 2021 05:49:54 pm
      This is huge, isn't this guy widely considered one of (if not) the greatest keepers ever for Brazil?

Neil Jones
      @neiljonesgoal
      Liverpool are to add Brazilian legend Claudio Taffarel to their coaching staff.

Recommended by Alisson, he will work alongside goalkeeping coaches John Achterberg and Jack Robinson, and combine duties with his role with the Brazil national team.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,465 posts | 4815 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Liverpool Appoint Claudio Taffarel as Goalkeeping Coach
      Reply #1: Nov 30, 2021 08:21:31 pm
      Sounds decent, this.

https://twitter.com/James_Carroll84/status/1465757018090876929?t=H2NSGrXtMegUP2KZ3wdOGg&s=19

I'm not going to lie; he's probably ahead of Karius and Adrian
      rossyred
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,070 posts | 1615 
      Re: Liverpool to add Claudio Taffarel to coaching staff
      Reply #2: Nov 30, 2021 08:29:16 pm
      Wow huge news
      rossyred
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,070 posts | 1615 
      Re: Liverpool Appoint Claudio Taffarel as Goalkeeping Coach
      Reply #3: Nov 30, 2021 08:53:53 pm

Definately better get an image on this thread 😂
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #4: Nov 30, 2021 09:30:45 pm
      Not being funny or controversial but whats the point in having goalkeeper coaches who wereof a lesser standard then your actual goalkeeper?
      PTU
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,078 posts | 630 
      Reply #5: Nov 30, 2021 09:39:35 pm
      Not being funny or controversial but whats the point in having goalkeeper coaches who wereof a lesser standard then your actual goalkeeper?

Then we'll struggle to find a GK coach that was a better player than Alisson...  ;D

But to be fair, a great player doesn't necessarily make a great coach, and vice versa.

I do question however the need for a 3rd GK coach to train 4 goalkeepers. Time will tell whether that was a good thing or not.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      Reply #6: Nov 30, 2021 09:49:00 pm
      Then we'll struggle to find a GK coach that was a better player than Alisson...  ;D

But to be fair, a great player doesn't necessarily make a great coach, and vice versa.

I do question however the need for a 3rd GK coach to train 4 goalkeepers. Time will tell whether that was a good thing or not.

I just dont see what he had in his game that could be added to Ali to make him better. Fair point on great players not being great coaches and vice versa
      Redman7804
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 570 posts | 267 
      Reply #7: Nov 30, 2021 09:54:03 pm
      I just dont see what he had in his game that could be added to Ali to make him better. Fair point on great players not being great coaches and vice versa

Could the same not be made of say prime Rafa or Mourinho?
      What could they have added to any players games to make them better using the same logic?
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      Reply #8: Nov 30, 2021 09:55:38 pm
      Could the same not be made of say prime Rafa or Mourinho?
      What could they have added to any players games to make them better using the same logic?

No, goalkeeping is unique to any other position or overall team tactic being coached
      Redman7804
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 570 posts | 267 
      Reply #9: Nov 30, 2021 09:57:51 pm
      No, goalkeeping is unique to any other position or overall team tactic being coached

Coaching is all theory and ideas and best practice

Achterberg played for Tranmere
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      Reply #10: Nov 30, 2021 10:05:53 pm
      Coaching is all theory and ideas and best practice

Achterberg played for Tranmere

Hes here since 2009 and first team coach sabout 10 years now. Could argue the case of which of the keepers in that time improved under him?

If our goalkeeping coaching was tip top why has no keeper come through the ranks? All our current young stĂ rlets were bought in. In fact as any keeper ever come through from youth to first team?
      Redman7804
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 570 posts | 267 
      Reply #11: Nov 30, 2021 10:08:15 pm
      Hes here since 2009 and first team coach sabout 10 years now. Could argue the case of which of the keepers in that time improved under him?

If our goalkeeping coaching was tip top why has no keeper come through the ranks? All our current young stĂ rlets were bought in. In fact as any keeper ever come through from youth to first team?

No manager he has worked under have let him go, which suggests he does a job they’re happy with, unless you’re questioning their judgement

I can’t think of a keeper coming through the ranks at any top club 🤷‍♂️ It’s too pressurised a job
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,208 posts | 1503 
      Reply #12: Dec 01, 2021 10:50:31 am
      No manager he has worked under have let him go, which suggests he does a job they’re happy with, unless you’re questioning their judgement

I can’t think of a keeper coming through the ranks at any top club 🤷‍♂️ It’s too pressurised a job

But they must come through the ranks of some club somewhere, no ?
      Redman7804
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 570 posts | 267 
      Reply #13: Dec 01, 2021 11:13:53 am

But they must come through the ranks of some club somewhere, no ?

Not many 17 year old kids get straight into the first team from the youth ranks

And they tend to go on loan to lower league clubs, look at the hype and progress of Henderson at utd
      Look at us signing David James or Chris Kirkland.. they started at “smaller” clubs
      Kelleher looks a proper talent, but what sort of percentage would want him to be full time number one right now?
      Ali makes a mistake but has the depth of experience behind him to shrug it off himself or the fans to shrug it off as a one off thing
      If Kelleher made them would his shoulders be wide enough? Would the crowds nervousness because of it get to him?

Ali played for Internacional back home but didn’t play first team for them until he was 21, didn’t move to Europe until he was 25

Iker Casillas is a famous one, but played Real C and B before making his debut at 20 and was in and out the first year

Particularly in this country I can’t think of any keeper come through at a top club through their own ranks
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      Reply #14: Dec 01, 2021 11:18:05 am
      Not many 17 year old kids get straight into the first team from the youth ranks

And they tend to go on loan to lower league clubs, look at the hype and progress of Henderson at utd
      Look at us signing David James or Chris Kirkland.. they started at “smaller” clubs
      Kelleher looks a proper talent, but what sort of percentage would want him to be full time number one right now?
      Ali makes a mistake but has the depth of experience behind him to shrug it off himself or the fans to shrug it off as a one off thing
      If Kelleher made them would his shoulders be wide enough? Would the crowds nervousness because of it get to him?

Ali played for Internacional back home but didn’t play first team for them until he was 21, didn’t move to Europe until he was 25

Iker Casillas is a famous one, but played Real C and B before making his debut at 20 and was in and out the first year

Particularly in this country I can’t think of any keeper come through at a top club through their own ranks

My point was no keepers have started at this club as a kid and eventually gone onto be a first team keeper, or certainly not in a long long time. I didnt mean they step in at 17 or 18, its that we don create any

Look at the current crop....all bought in from all over. Are we saying that over the last 30 years not 1 kid on Merseyside was good enough to be the academy keeper and coached to a standard that see them go on to represent the first team even once?

Was Tony Warner an academy grad?
      Redman7804
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 570 posts | 267 
      Reply #15: Dec 01, 2021 11:22:24 am
      My point was no keepers have started at this club as a kid and eventually gone onto be a first team keeper, or certainly not in a long long time. I didnt mean they step in at 17 or 18, its that we don create any

Look at the current crop....all bought in from all over. Are we saying that over the last 30 years not 1 kid on Merseyside was good enough to be the academy keeper and coached to a standard that see them go on to represent the first team even once?

Was Tony Warner an academy grad?

Yeah Warner was

Even at that point, that’s not first team coaches fault

I thought your original point was what’s the point of having a coach that wasn’t better than the keeper?

Keeper by its very nature is a one person position and when you want an experienced number one the pathway is blocked
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      Reply #16: Dec 01, 2021 11:26:30 am
      Yeah Warner was

Even at that point, that’s not first team coaches fault

I thought your original point was what’s the point of having a coach that wasn’t better than the keeper?

Keeper by its very nature is a one person position and when you want an experienced number one the pathway is blocked

Tony never made a first team appearance which I thought he did

Yes my original point was our current keeper is far superior to his coaches so what exactly can they coach him, another part of the point was our coaching is failing somewhere because we are not producing any of our own keepers.

In saying that Achtberg must have something about him as hes there a long time
      Redman7804
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 570 posts | 267 
      Reply #17: Dec 01, 2021 11:28:38 am
      Tony never made a first team appearance which I thought he did

Yes my original point was our current keeper is far superior to his coaches so what exactly can they coach him, another part of the point was our coaching is failing somewhere because we are not producing any of our own keepers.

In saying that Achtberg must have something about him as hes there a long time

You don’t have to be a better keeper to challenge him and to understand coaching drills that will improve him

Look at the difference in Ali from corners against Southampton to West Ham, he wasnt getting blocked in, he wasn’t allowing players to stand on his toes.. that’s coaching and training..

That’s why Warner’s nickname was bonus 😀
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      Reply #18: Dec 01, 2021 11:31:12 am
      You don’t have to be a better keeper to challenge him and to understand coaching drills that will improve him

That’s why Warner’s nickname was bonus 😀

Cracking nickname 😂

Coaching now I believe
      Redman7804
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 570 posts | 267 
      Reply #19: Dec 01, 2021 11:33:31 am
      Cracking nickname 😂

Coaching now I believe

Sarcasm isn’t great, you’re denigrating hundreds of coaches and the work they put in to get to the positions they do

Maybe put yourself through coaching courses, it would give you a better understanding
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      Reply #20: Dec 01, 2021 11:40:02 am
      Sarcasm isn’t great, you’re denigrating hundreds of coaches and the work they put in to get to the positions they do

Maybe put yourself through coaching courses, it would give you a better understanding

What you on about? Hes coaching at Bristol rovers or was.

As regards coaching as it turns out I do and have done for some time. One thing I get more from is seeing a child I coached become an adult player for the club. I dont get paid for that. I think the least a paid coach could aim for is to see a player they work with come through the system. As Ive stated already we dont ever see that at our club
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,434 posts | 1731 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #21: Dec 01, 2021 11:45:32 am
      Perhaps its all about language, speaking da lingo with the young Brazilian goalie we have.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      Reply #22: Dec 01, 2021 11:52:31 am
      Perhaps its all about language, speaking da lingo with the young Brazilian goalie we have.

No way Claudio will have a clue what Kevins saying

Quick Reply