Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P27 W14 D8 L5

Former Red to hang up his boots.

Read 1445 times
      mrtommo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 2,890 posts | 168 
      Former Red to hang up his boots.
      Nov 29, 2007 04:02:19 pm

Former Liverpool star David Thompson has been forced to retire because of injury.

Thompson had recently been on trial at Sheffield United, but failed to win a deal at Bramall Lane.

The 30-year-old has struggled with a knee injury for the last few seasons and he has now been advised to hang up his boots.

Thompson came through the youth ranks at Liverpool before joining Coventry for £3million in August 2000.

The diminutive midfielder went on to play for Blackburn, Wigan, Portsmouth and Bolton before being released at The Reebok Stadium last summer.

A player who always gave his all on the pitch, and who in my opinion was never given a real run in the side.
      I remember his first visit back at Anfield with Coventry City, and he scored a 30 yard screamer at the Anfield Road end.
      You see in his body language after that goal that it meant a lot to him, and also he was prooving a point to the Liverpool management.

Good luck to the lad. I hope he stays in football as he has that winners attitute.
      Best wishes David.
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Re: Former Red to hang up his boots.
      Reply #1: Nov 29, 2007 04:10:00 pm
      I always thought he never got a real run in the side either. I admired his dogged determination and his winning attitude. Shame he's struggled with injury for some time and now he's calling it a day.

Good luck for the future Dave.
      smigger15
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,421 posts | 284 
      • YNWA - JFT96
      Reply #2: Nov 29, 2007 04:34:31 pm
      Yeah good luck David, lets hope we see you in some sort of coaching role which I'm sure you'd be great at  ;)
      kelv78
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,913 posts | 14 
      Reply #3: Nov 29, 2007 07:26:34 pm
      I thought he was a decent player like Redkenny said he never really got a chance to show what he can do.
      Glenbuck
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,893 posts | 205 
      Reply #4: Nov 29, 2007 07:34:20 pm
      I am not being nasty but I didn't think he was quite good enough at the time, what he did have though was something i wish a few more "stars" of his era could of had, passion, steely in the tackle and a cracking never say die attitude when we needed it.
      Now whether his attributes made up for the ones he lacked I'm not so sure but i certainly wish him all the best for the future as if he shows the same tenacity he showed on the pitch in any future jobs i am sure he will go far.
      koolkidda
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,007 posts | 41 
      Reply #5: Nov 30, 2007 01:48:17 am
      Personally.

I thought he was sh*t.  But good luck to the fella.
      AJ
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,445 posts | 124 
      • Boom!
      Reply #6: Nov 30, 2007 08:13:45 am
      David Thompson I think I remember him vaguely in the Spice boys days when he had a decent spell @ Liverpool but other than than I can't really recall anything else.  Anyway good luck with your Sky Sports pundit job David!
      donrafael
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,645 posts | 48 
      Reply #7: Nov 30, 2007 02:52:00 pm
      I always think of the commentator Parry describing him as a "genuine scallywag" during a game...

Good luck to the lad.

Crazy Horse
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,324 posts | 39 
      Reply #8: Dec 02, 2007 08:58:21 pm
      Sorry to hear Little Jimmy Krankie has been forced to retire. He wasn't quite good enough for the first team but was a very usefull squad player and there was worse players than him at Anfield when he left! Good luck Lad!
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #9: Dec 02, 2007 09:15:59 pm
      Jimmie Krankie  :D :D Anyone who gives it their best even if they weren't good enough for us, will always get my respect.
      S-A-M-U-E-L-T
      • Forum Jari Litmanen

• 51 posts | -13 
      • LIVERPOOL!
      Reply #10: Dec 07, 2007 05:02:33 pm
      He gave it everything he had but kust wasnt good enough but he was determind in every way

Quick Reply