Trending Topics

Next match: Everton v LFC [Premier League] Wed 24th Apr @ 8:00 pm - Pre Match Topic
      Goodison Park

Today is the 24th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W10 D8 L7

Champions League Draw

Read 6876 times
      rossyred
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,260 posts | 1659 
      Re: Champions League Draw
      Reply #115: Dec 13, 2021 09:40:15 pm
      Barella out for at least first leg big loss.for them
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,318 posts | 2810 
      Reply #116: Dec 13, 2021 10:03:37 pm
      A tough draw but we saw last week against AC Milan that Serie A isn't what it once was so still a tie we start firm favourites in.
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,610 posts | 3915 
      Reply #117: Dec 13, 2021 10:08:36 pm
      Except for Real (who genuinely seem to have our number unfortunately), I think we raise our game exceptionally well against better opposition in the champions league.

I think the occasion will be massive, with the front 3 buzzing to make an impact.

It will be an amazing atmosphere home and away - canā€™t wait!
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,036 posts | 2091 
      Reply #118: Dec 13, 2021 10:20:42 pm
      Except for Real (who genuinely seem to have our number unfortunately), I think we raise our game exceptionally well against better opposition in the champions league.

I think the occasion will be massive, with the front 3 buzzing to make an impact.

F**k Real Madrid. We would swipe Real's arses to kingdom come if we were drawn against those fuckers today and they know it. They only did us over because of a seriously depleted squad last season. And if that c**t Ramos didn't pull Salah's shoulder out of it's socket then the 2018 final could have been a greater contest as well.
      Isaac!
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,572 posts | 325 
      Reply #119: Dec 13, 2021 10:26:55 pm

They really don't. I'd love us to play them in the next round - we would completely humiliate them.
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,863 posts | 704 
      Reply #120: Dec 13, 2021 11:06:06 pm
      Quote from waltonl4
      who will compensate supporters who in good faith booked hotel and flights before

What's the point? There's no certainty about any travel atm, let alone in 2 or 3 months time. Basically, when you're not playing at home on the day, this is a tv tournament for most people.

Technically, this is not a very complex draw to take place. Runners up v winners, no ties from the same country and group. It's not rocket science. I've never seen a cup draw declared null and void before at any level before, and I don't believe any of the conspiracy theories out there. They're supposed to run like clockwork, rehearsals are conducted to ensure no margin for error. So there has to be consequences for someone.

I didn't want to draw Inter, the original draw was better. But we have no choice but to get on with it.
      « Last Edit: Dec 14, 2021 05:05:16 pm by lfc across the water »
      ruthcity

• 6,937 posts | 1479 
      Reply #121: Dec 14, 2021 09:48:24 am
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,150 posts | 2780 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #122: Dec 14, 2021 11:07:14 am
      The pre klopp years minus the little oasis Rafa brought has left a big scar mentally. People still have that bit of fear dont they.

We should know by now this team need fear nobody at any time or place. This team is elite. Opponents will always fear us more then we fear them.

Yes inter will be no walk in the park. A good side and a huge history, with history comes pride and with pride comes fight. Im expecting it to be tough over both legs. And I expect to be in the quarters all the better for it
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,157 posts | 8544 
      Reply #123: Dec 15, 2021 10:38:16 am
      Except for Real (who genuinely seem to have our number unfortunately)

Four wins to our three.

I wouldn't say they have our number.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,157 posts | 8544 
      Reply #124: Dec 15, 2021 10:39:33 am
      The pre klopp years minus the little oasis Rafa brought has left a big scar mentally. People still have that bit of fear dont they.

It's like our complete history in Europe has been forgotten at times.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #125: Dec 15, 2021 10:41:02 am
      Four wins to our three.

I wouldn't say they have our number.

wasnt it 2 under Brendan and one when they assaulted our best player in the final I dont have a problem facing them or anyone else nobody wants to come to Anfield
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,157 posts | 8544 
      Reply #126: Dec 15, 2021 10:41:43 am
      What's the point? There's no certainty about any travel atm, let alone in 2 or 3 months time. Basically, when you're not playing at home on the day, this is a tv tournament for most people.

For armchair fans obviously, but how about our away numbers who went to all three away games?
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,157 posts | 8544 
      Reply #127: Dec 15, 2021 10:42:20 am
      wasnt it 2 under Brendan and one when they assaulted our best player in the final I dont have a problem facing them or anyone else nobody wants to come to Anfield

Last season's second round games, beaten at the Bernabeu and drew at Anfield.!!
      ruthcity

• 6,937 posts | 1479 
      Reply #128: Dec 15, 2021 10:55:52 am

We should know by now this team need fear nobody at any time or place. This team is elite. Opponents will always fear us more then we fear them.

Yes inter will be no walk in the park. A good side and a huge history, with history comes pride and with pride comes fight. Im expecting it to be tough over both legs. And I expect to be in the quarters all the better for it

We know. But there are always buts:

1) fear of our players not turning up which could potentially result in losing in games like West Ham.
      2) distrust or no confidence in our players that they would show up against branded team.
      3) fear of losing and looking for better odds on winning - playing a team with a not so illustrious history is more welcomed and gives us an easier chance of winning at least on paper.
      4) too much respect for the opponent which has earned a reputation as a big team. Fear that theyā€™d turn up and weā€™ll be trashed.

In short we hate losing and will find ways to ā€œimproveā€ our chances of winning (including suggesting adding other teamā€™s players to our squad) even though we have totally no control of who we will face. It feels better to just say ā€œIā€™d have preferred to play [an unknown club of your choice]ā€. We know it doesnā€™t change anything. But the posts will continue to appear in the next round, in the following seasonsā€¦

Itā€™s a natural human expression and release of emotions.

Quick Reply