Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

Half A Mill Per Appearance

Read 1895 times
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 20,955 posts | 3334 
      Half A Mill Per Appearance
      Dec 12, 2021 02:21:44 pm
      Our centre half, our number 4 is just one appearance from hitting 150 games for Liverpool.

He will become the 150th player to do that for our great club as well, after Alisson achieved the same feat against Milan in midweek. And when you consider the amount of people who said we'd overspent on Van Dijk when we splashed out 75 million quid on the big Dutchman, to go and achieve what he has done to the point that nobody even mentions his price tag anymore.

A Liverpool career that has had many defining moments with a couple of the biggest coming against our bitterest of rivals. It started in the best possible way with a Derby goal winner on his debut. Best way to introduce yourself to your new fans. A perfectly placed last minute assist to Divock in another Derby. And of course a season ending injury caused by one of the most overrated keepers in the history of the game.

He's won trophies, both individually and as part of our League and European Cup winning teams. Cemented himself deep in the conversation as our greatest ever centre half and clearly one of the most important players in our current squad.

Out of his first 149 appearances, you can probably count on one hand how many poor games he's had in that time to highlight just how consistently good he's been in a Liverpool shirt.

Fantastic signing and fantastic to see him reach 150 games in a Liverpool shirt.

Well done Big Virg.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Re: Half A Mill Per Appearance
      Reply #1: Dec 12, 2021 03:12:36 pm
      sometimes a players sheer presence is enough to give a team an advantage and Virgil has a presence as big as you can get. This is his club and along with so many of them we are in a very golden period
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,208 posts | 1503 
      Reply #2: Dec 12, 2021 03:19:47 pm
      Wow that was a quick 150. I didn’t see that coming up yet. And to think he’s reached that milestone after missing a season following the GBH assault by the bitter T. rex.
      Well done Virg.
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,660 posts | 3670 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #3: Dec 13, 2021 09:25:32 am
      It should have been earlier :(

Well done VVD! Thanks for the trophies.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,663 posts | 2657 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #4: Dec 13, 2021 09:46:17 am
      It should have been earlier :(

Well done VVD! Thanks for the trophies.

For me he’s a bigger talisman in your team than Salah and that’s saying something, lucky fcukers  ;D
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,457 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #5: Dec 13, 2021 10:17:53 am
      Wow that was a quick 150. I didn’t see that coming up yet. And to think he’s reached that milestone after missing a season following the GBH assault by the bitter T. rex.
      Well done Virg.

so true.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,821 posts | 4920 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #6: Dec 14, 2021 10:59:39 am
      Colossus is what our Virgil is, he carries with him a aura, much like what Messers, Smith, Thompson, Hansen, Lawrenson, Hyypia did before him, he oozes class and as his song describes, calm as you like, 150 appearances with many many more to come, I think it’s safe to say he has legendary status already.

Love the big fella !!

Y  N  W  A
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,481 posts | 3286 
      Reply #7: Dec 14, 2021 11:09:40 am
      For me he is our most important player

They always say defence wins you titles and he is key.

Mo gets all the plaudits and headlines whilst VVD just carries on week in week out being the rock

Best CB I have seen - just beating Hansen
      Norfolk Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,154 posts | 499 
      Reply #8: Dec 14, 2021 11:31:07 am
      For me he is our most important player

They always say defence wins you titles and he is key.

Mo gets all the plaudits and headlines whilst VVD just carries on week in week out being the rock

Best CB I have seen - just beating Hansen

Good post, but we will have to agree to disagree on Virgil is better than "Jockey". Hansen was top class for a lot more years than Virgil even if you factor in his time at Celtic and Southampton.
      They are/we're both top defenders but for me Hansen still remains better.
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,481 posts | 3286 
      Reply #9: Dec 14, 2021 11:33:54 am
      Good post, but we will have to agree to disagree on Virgil is better than "Jockey". Hansen was top class for a lot more years than Virgil even if you factor in his time at Celtic and Southampton.
      They are/we're both top defenders but for me Hansen still remains better.

It was a very very tough choice  - Hansen was supreme and just like Virgil there was no need for last ditch tackles etc because he always seemed to in the right place. Virgil just seems to have that extra little bit of pace and physical presence.
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,235 posts | 752 
      Reply #10: Dec 14, 2021 04:10:46 pm
      Virgil has made a huge contribution to our success, truly a top defender !
      ToshackKeeganOneNil
      • Forum Phil Thompson

• 488 posts | 100 
      Reply #11: Dec 22, 2021 12:36:50 pm
      Our centre half, our number 4 is just one appearance from hitting 150 games for Liverpool.

He will become the 150th player to do that for our great club as well, after Alisson achieved the same feat against Milan in midweek. And when you consider the amount of people who said we'd overspent on Van Dijk when we splashed out 75 million quid on the big Dutchman, to go and achieve what he has done to the point that nobody even mentions his price tag anymore.

A Liverpool career that has had many defining moments with a couple of the biggest coming against our bitterest of rivals. It started in the best possible way with a Derby goal winner on his debut. Best way to introduce yourself to your new fans. A perfectly placed last minute assist to Divock in another Derby. And of course a season ending injury caused by one of the most overrated keepers in the history of the game.

He's won trophies, both individually and as part of our League and European Cup winning teams. Cemented himself deep in the conversation as our greatest ever centre half and clearly one of the most important players in our current squad.

Out of his first 149 appearances, you can probably count on one hand how many poor games he's had in that time to highlight just how consistently good he's been in a Liverpool shirt.

Fantastic signing and fantastic to see him reach 150 games in a Liverpool shirt.

Well done Big Virg.

Cheap at half the price!
      AlwaysTheKop
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,208 posts | 1418 
      • CHAMP19NS.
      Reply #12: Dec 22, 2021 01:02:28 pm
      You just know he’s the best when they literally made a statistic for forwards based on him that season, how many dribbles past Virgil, with most being on zero.

Absolute beast, and he’s not even back to his best yet.
      Cad1875
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 633 posts | 59 
      Reply #13: Dec 22, 2021 03:56:07 pm
      Virg,worth every penny as Tina said "Simply the best"
      -LFC-
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,139 posts | 1195 
      Reply #14: Dec 22, 2021 04:07:10 pm
      I still remember the day sitting at the pub when in the corner of my eye the yellow banner popped up on SSN saying deal agreed at £75m. Couldn't believe it. I thought this is fairly bold, and what a signing he has proven to be -- worth every single penny and then some; a pivotal figure in the Klopp era. I sometimes wonder actually if we could ever have hit the heights without him? F*ck! It's a horrible and disgusting thought and I don't want to give myself too many nightmares  :D
      therealjr
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,116 posts | 147 
      Reply #15: Dec 23, 2021 12:07:47 pm

Out of his first 149 appearances, you can probably count on one hand how many poor games he's had in that time

You can probably count them on the fingers of 1 finger 😂

HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,948 posts | 8458 
      Reply #16: Dec 23, 2021 12:24:01 pm
      You can probably count them on the fingers of 1 finger 😂

Nah there is a couple of games where he hasn't been totally bang at it. Villa 7-2 is one that sticks in the mind!!

Quick Reply