Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

Formula 1 2022

Read 86325 times
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Re: Formula 1 2022
      Reply #23: Jan 04, 2022 12:54:35 am
      I think in his first season Russell will play the role of Lewis’s wing man, Russell has a wide head on his shoulders & will bide his time, I can see Russell as WC within 3 seasons..

Best case scenario is Russell's pace allows him to put Mercedes in a position where they effectively flank Verstappen and can run cover strategies against Red Bull. Something they didn't get to do this season, to their cost.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,972 posts | 2051 
      Reply #24: Jan 04, 2022 05:29:32 pm
      Mercedes got nerfed in the 2021 season (with Aston Martin being the secondary casualty)
      and they still out developed Red Bull, so it would be too optimistic to go for anyone but Mercedes,
      especially given how strong the Mercedes PU was in the second half of the season.

Only chance Max has is if/when George Russell starts to take points off Hamilton.

Racer - you've got a technical mind! Do you think the new cars will favour one team over another? Adrian Newey was quoted as saying that the 2022 regs favour low rake cars. If so, does it favour anyone?
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 16,662 posts | 2656 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #25: Jan 04, 2022 06:07:56 pm
      Racer - you've got a technical mind! Do you think the new cars will favour one team over another? Adrian Newey was quoted as saying that the 2022 regs favour low rake cars. If so, does it favour anyone?

Sorry to jump in. Hasn’t it been said the rules/ conditions will bring more teams into the equation now?
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #26: Jan 04, 2022 06:15:40 pm
      Sorry to jump in. Hasn’t it been said the rules/ conditions will bring more teams into the equation now?

supposedly they will be able to follow closer and overtake more but these engineers seem to be able to take Regs and still get a car to perform how they want it.
      Red Bull will be interesting the high rake of their car gave them superb handling around the bends but not the best high speed. All will be revealed but I would still put money on Merc with or without Lewis
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,972 posts | 2051 
      Reply #27: Jan 04, 2022 06:27:45 pm

In theory (I think) . But I think we'll see one or two teams steal a march on the others by exploiting a loophole/finding innovation as a result of these new regulations. Think Brawn GP in 2009, (maybe the last time regs changed this significantly). However, as Ross Brawn is leading this new technical overhaul the regs are bound to be more detailed and probably with less interpretation than what was proscribed in 2009.

But I wouldn't be surprised if 2022 was a bit of a boring year with one team taking control. What with the reduced finances year on year and settled new regs, it should become more equal in time.

Like a few of you I'd put my money on Merc to produce the top car. The way they've maintained their success over the last few years has been remarkable and can only be down to a technical setup that has been able to refresh and shown remarkable ability. When Brawn stepped away, when Lowe stepped away, the onus was on them to keep the standards they had set. But introducing James Allison a few years back to oversee things was a masterstroke and him staying on in a senior role to oversee long term development and the introduction of 2022 regs will be pivotal I think.

That said I like the thought of Ferrari and McLaren coming back up to the top order as well. Much more settled outfits in recent seasons with the benefit of not being in a title battle right to the wire. The pair of them fighting to the wire in 2007 and 2008 impaired them in the 2009 regulation overhaul (will the same happen to one of or both of Mercedes and Red Bull I wonder?) so hopefully that will have given them the space to work on 2022 and beyond (despite the prize money I hope to god they did not spend too much on battling for third in the constructors!)
      « Last Edit: Jan 04, 2022 06:37:11 pm by Frankly, Mr Shankly »
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #28: Jan 04, 2022 07:26:00 pm
      RedBull.. Michael Massi gives you Wins…
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 16,662 posts | 2656 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #29: Jan 05, 2022 11:59:13 am
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #30: Jan 05, 2022 03:16:28 pm

There is some suggestion that the new regs will suit someone like Vettel.
      With the rise in rake and move towards "overteery" cars that impacted Mercedes and Aston Martin more than others.
      Obviously Mercedes were able to develop their way out of it.

This wasn't the case with Aston Martin and we've just seen our first casualty of that (above ^^^).
      I see mention of the grid closing up, but on any significant rule change what we have seen in the past is teams
      finding a loophole or interpretation to gain an advantage. The suggstion from Mercedes is that Red Bull and Ferrari
      are these teams, but I wouldn't be surprised to see McLaren find something, like they did in 2021.

Ultimately I believe it will come down to Max and Lewis going head to head.
      There is nothing wrong with that.
      I do however believe that we should see a return to form from the likes of Vettel and Ricciardo,
      especially Vettel, as he was the king during the Red Bull blown diffuser era.
      However that comes down to what Aston Martin can put under him.

With all that said, there is some noise at the moment that Ferrari put all their cards on being ready for 2022,
      my reservation there is that I quite fancy Sainz to match Leclerc and I wonder what happens then.

Every team is saying they have something. Ferrari especially.
      Mercedes are doing the usual "Ferrari and Red Bull have found something".

Expect the Ferrari engines to be more competitive.
      Expect Mercedes and Red Bull to be the pair to beat. (How will Red Bull develop now without Honda?)
      And hope that Ferrari and McLaren actually deliver.

I know it's a ramble, but I'm excited to see Russell in the Mercedes.
      It could be problematic if he's on it straight away (like he was as a sub) and takes points off Hamilton.
      Long term that probably plays into Verstappen's hands for the Driver's Title.

I do think Mercedes ended up as the fastest car last season.
      Only a targetted rule change brought them back to Red Bull, so what is Red Bull's strategy if they both start the same?

My biggest gripe last year was Mercedes throwing engines at it from mid season with the penalties they received
      ultimately meaning very little. I expect if they can get away with it they'll do that again.
      We'll need a stronger Ferrari and McLaren to stop that from happening.

waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #31: Jan 05, 2022 04:10:41 pm
      Red Bull threw the Kitchen sink at this years title whilst Merc spent a lot on the 2022 Car other manufacturers did the same Haas for one suffered greatly due to lack of development.  We want and we need 6 Cars challenging not just two and if thats the Case get used to seeing Max in the barriers or someone put into the barriers by Max. Time will tell as the Engineers seems more adaptable than the people who make the rules
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,972 posts | 2051 
      Reply #32: Jan 05, 2022 06:00:03 pm
      There is some suggestion that the new regs will suit someone like Vettel.
      With the rise in rake and move towards "overteery" cars that impacted Mercedes and Aston Martin more than others.
      Obviously Mercedes were able to develop their way out of it.

This wasn't the case with Aston Martin and we've just seen our first casualty of that (above ^^^).
      I see mention of the grid closing up, but on any significant rule change what we have seen in the past is teams
      finding a loophole or interpretation to gain an advantage. The suggstion from Mercedes is that Red Bull and Ferrari
      are these teams, but I wouldn't be surprised to see McLaren find something, like they did in 2021.

Ultimately I believe it will come down to Max and Lewis going head to head.
      There is nothing wrong with that.
      I do however believe that we should see a return to form from the likes of Vettel and Ricciardo,
      especially Vettel, as he was the king during the Red Bull blown diffuser era.
      However that comes down to what Aston Martin can put under him.

With all that said, there is some noise at the moment that Ferrari put all their cards on being ready for 2022,
      my reservation there is that I quite fancy Sainz to match Leclerc and I wonder what happens then.

Every team is saying they have something. Ferrari especially.
      Mercedes are doing the usual "Ferrari and Red Bull have found something".

Expect the Ferrari engines to be more competitive.
      Expect Mercedes and Red Bull to be the pair to beat. (How will Red Bull develop now without Honda?)
      And hope that Ferrari and McLaren actually deliver.

I know it's a ramble, but I'm excited to see Russell in the Mercedes.
      It could be problematic if he's on it straight away (like he was as a sub) and takes points off Hamilton.
      Long term that probably plays into Verstappen's hands for the Driver's Title.

I do think Mercedes ended up as the fastest car last season.
      Only a targetted rule change brought them back to Red Bull, so what is Red Bull's strategy if they both start the same?

My biggest gripe last year was Mercedes throwing engines at it from mid season with the penalties they received
      ultimately meaning very little. I expect if they can get away with it they'll do that again.
      We'll need a stronger Ferrari and McLaren to stop that from happening.

Great stuff that. Good shout on Aston Martin. Their ambitions have been overlooked somewhat and they've shown intent by getting Martin Whitmarsh back in the f1 circus and building a new factory. I feel the one thing that makes people overlook them is the dynamic between Father Stroll and Lance. He's not a bad driver is Lance but I don't think he's worthy of a second seat in a team that has ambitions for grandeur. That inability to find a quality second driver in that team because its reserved solely for Lance then it may hold them back in the long run.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #33: Jan 05, 2022 09:17:53 pm
      Great stuff that. Good shout on Aston Martin. Their ambitions have been overlooked somewhat and they've shown intent by getting Martin Whitmarsh back in the f1 circus and building a new factory. I feel the one thing that makes people overlook them is the dynamic between Father Stroll and Lance. He's not a bad driver is Lance but I don't think he's worthy of a second seat in a team that has ambitions for grandeur. That inability to find a quality second driver in that team because its reserved solely for Lance then it may hold them back in the long run.

Through but it very much makes Vettel the team leader, which is a role he relishes in.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #34: Jan 11, 2022 03:07:25 pm
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 16,662 posts | 2656 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #35: Jan 11, 2022 03:24:21 pm

That’s sad to watch, at some point Hammy will come out and say that day when he was robbed of breaking Schumachers record was by far the worse day in his life. Perfectly understandable if he never returns and who could blame him?

Hope Hammy  & Mercs get the clarity that’s needed for him to come out again this year and show why he’s the greatest F1 driver to have graced our planet.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #36: Jan 11, 2022 03:34:34 pm
      That’s sad to watch, at some point Hammy will come out and say that day when he was robbed of breaking Schumachers record was by far the worse day in his life. Perfectly understandable if he never returns and who could blame him?

Hope Hammy  & Mercs get the clarity that’s needed for him to come out again this year and show why he’s the greatest F1 driver to have graced our planet.

It seems there is a media PR drive now to F1 followers that Lewis won’t be on the grid for 2022...

The way he has starved the media of oxygen & the FIA doesn’t look good for Liberty...

There’s more talk of Lewis than Max...
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 16,662 posts | 2656 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #37: Jan 11, 2022 03:41:48 pm
      It seems there is a media PR drive now to F1 followers that Lewis won’t be on the grid for 2022...

The way he has starved the media of oxygen & the FIA doesn’t look good for Liberty...

There’s more talk of Lewis than Max...

Media been doing cartwheels since, they hate it because Hammy done a great job of avoiding the tw@ts. Can’t help thinking if they’re waiting to see if Massi gets the boot before they decide what happening.

Only right there should be more talk about Lewis than Max, who wants to talk to a so called world champion that not only cheated his way but then handed it on a plate by the incompetent Massi

Much as I want Hammy back I’ll fully respect his decision. To get his mind set right after last year won’t be easy, not even for the No1 of the sport.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #38: Jan 11, 2022 03:50:53 pm
      Hamilton has been a PR dream for F1 he is there biggest draw world wide. He spent 14 years or so sacrificing many things to get into a position of becoming the 8 times world champion only to have it taken away from him by Masi. Why would he put himself in the same position only to find he was in the same position again. I hope he tells them he isnt going to be part of the Netflix circus and does other stuff
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #39: Jan 11, 2022 03:56:23 pm
      Part of me wants Lewis & Merc to go at it for one more season & win then leave but there’s a part of me also can’t forgive what Massi & the other Camora leaders in the FIA have done to Lewis...

Liberty learning off Sky in how to engineer rivalries....
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 16,662 posts | 2656 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #40: Jan 11, 2022 04:11:17 pm
      Part of me wants Lewis & Merc to go at it for one more season & win then leave but there’s a part of me also can’t forgive what Massi & the other Camora leaders in the FIA have done to Lewis...

Couldn’t put it better myself.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,972 posts | 2051 
      Reply #41: Jan 11, 2022 08:00:52 pm

Looks like Lewis will hold the FIA's feet to the fire on this.

It's OK for him though. F1 needs him more than he needs F1. At the very least, they need to f**k off Masi. And the stewards who covered his back in the aftermath.

Andrew Benson has a good article on it on the BBC Sport website. The rumours are that Mercedes are seeking assurances that Masi and Head of Single Seater racing Tombazis be removed for 2022. That was apparently behind their decision not to pursue an appeal.

So quite different from David Croft's (who is an appalling commentator) assertion that they removed their appeal for 'not wanting to appear to be bad losers'.
      « Last Edit: Jan 11, 2022 08:09:40 pm by Frankly, Mr Shankly »
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #42: Jan 12, 2022 09:37:24 am
      Looks as though Micheal Masi will be sacked along with other stewards after the Abu Dhabi scandal..

Waiting confirmation
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #43: Jan 12, 2022 10:04:32 am
      Looks as though Micheal Masi will be sacked along with other stewards after the Abu Dhabi scandal..

Waiting confirmation

I think Masi had other influences in his ear that day.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #44: Jan 12, 2022 10:13:14 am
      If they sack Masi and another FIA official they are virtually saying that Max's title is void. These very highly paid F!A bods have really fu**ed up and again its not Max's fault but they have fu**ed him over as much as Lewis.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #45: Jan 12, 2022 10:25:54 am
      I think Masi had other influences in his ear that day.

Or probably was under the influence of intoxicants because his decision to ‘go racing’ has really pissed off the majority of F1 fans around the world, just shows you the pull Lewis has in the sport...

Max I guess all season and fir the rest of his career will have to take & bat away questions about his tainted win..

Quick Reply