Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Pre-match: Liverpool V Newcastle [Thursday December 16th, 20:00]

Read 5741 times
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 11,659 posts | 3670 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Pre-match: Liverpool V Newcastle [Thursday December 16th, 20:00]
      Dec 15, 2021 10:19:51 am

Liverpool will be out to make it eight wins in a row across all competitions when they welcome Newcastle United to Anfield on Thursday night.

The Reds prevailed 1-0 against Aston Villa last time out, while Eddie Howe's men went down 4-0 to Leicester City.

Jürgen Klopp's men may have seen their astonishing two-goals-per-game streak ended in recent weeks, but only Chelsea (21) can boast more Premier League goals at home than the Reds (19) this season, and Liverpool have won each of their last five at Anfield.

This week's hosts have also kept five clean sheets in that stretch and extended their Anfield unbeaten run to 20 matches with the 1-0 win at Villa, so Newcastle will surely not be harbouring hopes of a memorable win on the Merseyside turf.

Liverpool trio Nat Phillips, Curtis Jones and Harvey Elliott remain out of action, but there is hope that Divock Origi and Roberto Firmino - who has now returned to training - may both be involved in some capacity.

Even if Firmino is not deemed ready to return from his hamstring problem just yet, Diogo Jota will expect to earn a recall up top as Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain drops down to the bench.

Klopp will certainly consider changes before a meeting with Tottenham Hotspur at the weekend, with Naby Keita, Kostas Tsimikas and Ibrahima Konate all potentially starting on Thursday.

Meanwhile, Newcastle did not pick up any fresh injury concerns in the defeat to Leicester, meaning that Paul Dummett is Howe's only absentee with his calf problem.

Howe should therefore make a few alterations with a near fully-fit squad ahead of meetings with both Manchester clubs, potentially starting with Miguel Almiron being sacrificed in order to welcome Ciaran Clark back from suspension to a five-man defence.

Isaac Hayden is also ready to beef up the midfield if necessary, but Willock has fond memories of playing at Anfield and will not want to lose his place here.

NB: Team no longer available

I think Klopp will rest Matip and Jota for Spurs.
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,208 posts | 1503 
      Re: Pre-match: Liverpool V Newcastle [Thursday December 16th, 20:00]
      Reply #1: Dec 15, 2021 11:05:13 am
      Dodgy defenders and not offering too much of a goal threat up top.
      Well that’s how it’s been for them since the  start of the season. Let’s hope it stays that way.
      We should have enough to beat these with a few players rested, but I think we should go full strength and get the game won. Then rest players.
      Never underestimate the opposition I say.
      4-0 to the Red Men !
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #2: Dec 15, 2021 11:26:13 am
      Lads can rest for the league cuo. Best 11tomorrow, best 11 v spurs and get full points on the board
      « Last Edit: Dec 15, 2021 03:17:44 pm by Brian78 »
      bmck
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,404 posts | 1611 
      • YNWA
      Reply #3: Dec 15, 2021 12:02:18 pm
      With Spuds game so soon after this one, could see Jürgen maybe rest one or two.
      Like, could deffo rest one from Hendo/Fab/Thiago, particularly if Keita and Milner available.
      Probably see Konate some in for Matip.
      Maybe Kostas for Robbo, or even Origi for Jota/Bob [though reckon Jota will start]

Possibly:

Ally
      TAA Konate VVD Kostas
      Hendo Thiago Keita/Milner
      Salah Jota Mane

Or maybe just play the strongest team, try get ahead then take guys off relatively early if we can pull away a bit scorewise.

Don't want to take this for granted, but our form has been good and theirs hasn't.

Goes without saying, need the 3 points. COYRs!!!!!!!!!!!
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #4: Dec 15, 2021 12:15:16 pm
      Somewhere in this run, Mo, Sadio and Virgil will so need a rest. Nobody should play 6 games in 17 days. Not that five in 17 is ideal.

Maybe the League Cup is it for those three, a couple of other on Thursday, a couple of others for Spurs and so on.

This calls for backup players to step up and earn their pay.
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,233 posts | 752 
      Reply #5: Dec 15, 2021 01:25:28 pm
      Agree with rotating one or two players each game. Although priority must be gaining maximum points against Newcastle and Tottenham, in the next couple of games.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Reply #6: Dec 15, 2021 03:12:03 pm
      Let's put another nail in their relegation coffin.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,452 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #7: Dec 15, 2021 03:12:21 pm
      Go strong, Get the job done early, then use the 3 subs on 60mins.

Job done.
      -LFC-
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,136 posts | 1192 
      Reply #8: Dec 15, 2021 04:28:12 pm
       This lot are shabite and deserve a twatting for causing needless anxiety last season. I think I would only rotate 1 or 2 with Konate for Matip and Jota/Bobby/Origi for Ox. Otherwise, full steam ahead!
      CT_LFC

• 6,782 posts | 1395 
      Reply #9: Dec 15, 2021 04:39:50 pm
      What's the status on Spurs? Will they be allowed to play on Sunday? if so, how many players would be out due to quarantine/restrictions?

chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,018 posts | 2741 
      Reply #10: Dec 15, 2021 06:14:18 pm
      Wonder if this might be our last game for a little while.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,342 posts | 3368 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #11: Dec 15, 2021 06:20:24 pm
      What's the status on Spurs? Will they be allowed to play on Sunday? if so, how many players would be out due to quarantine/restrictions?

Last I heard it looked like the game would go ahead
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,300 posts | 3869 
      Reply #12: Dec 15, 2021 06:25:51 pm
      Wonder if this might be our last game for a little while.

Why?!
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,479 posts | 3285 
      Reply #13: Dec 15, 2021 06:28:26 pm

I’m guessing because of Covid
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Reply #14: Dec 15, 2021 06:37:04 pm

I suppose because of Omicron?

Personally don’t think it’s going to have an affect unless the powers that be freak out (which they very well may).
      rossyred

• 9,090 posts | 1631 
      Reply #15: Dec 15, 2021 07:38:31 pm
      Would like to see Naby start this deserves it after the form shown pre injury and with a packed defense will be crucial we have some forward thinking players to back up the 3. Tzimikas,Milner and Konate all possible options too
      PTU
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,079 posts | 630 
      Reply #16: Dec 15, 2021 08:38:23 pm
      I suppose because of Omicron?

Personally don’t think it’s going to have an affect unless the powers that be freak out (which they very well may).

Can't see them stopping the League, but there might very well be restrictions on fans in stadiums.

It makes me wonder whether we might see players contracts include an attendance clause in the future, so that clubs can cope with the loss of revenue without the need to negotiate a wage cut with the squad. (A bit off topic, apologies)
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,300 posts | 3869 
      Reply #17: Dec 15, 2021 08:42:40 pm
      Everyone is boosted and vaccinated - the whole point of that was so we can get on with our lives.

No chance will they stop football again.
      Redman7804
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 570 posts | 267 
      Reply #18: Dec 15, 2021 08:55:17 pm
      Everyone is boosted and vaccinated - the whole point of that was so we can get on with our lives.

Agree with this
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #19: Dec 15, 2021 09:29:15 pm

the man who spends most of the match behind the couch is one of the few who talks sense. He is spot on the jabs and the booster mean we have to try and keep so sort of normality in our lives even if it means Covid passports etc. The last thing I want to see is an empty stadium that will depress the F**k out of people me included
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,821 posts | 4920 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #20: Dec 16, 2021 09:03:00 am
      Everyone has their own take on this covid bollocks, to me it has now gone beyond a joke, it is abundantly clear this is nothing more than a money making scheme borne from the big Pharma’s, in this country the majority  are vaccinated x2 which is deemed safe and protective, and even if you were to contract the virus the survival rate is 99.7%, covid is a virus, viruses mutate, it’s what they do, same as the flu, it’s also a virus that mutates, and every year since I can remember especially in winter people  get the flu, but has the ‘flu’ now been replaced by covid, because you don’t hear of it anymore, I find that particularly strange, that all of a sudden the big Pharma’s have the opportunity  to glean even more money from the weak and vulnerable by promoting the need for the population to be vaccinated by their untested products, initial two jabs were required, now it’s two jabs and boosters, and all the time they invent new strains to keep the cash coming in, I am not vaccinated, nor do I intend to be, that is my choice, as most of you will know, I’ve been battling cancer recently and yet my immune system has been at its lowest but I’ve remained covid free, only my opinion but it’s a complete load of bollocks and no more worse than the common flu.

RANT OVER…Apologies to Mods for using this thread to vent my spleen !!

I think it’s as plain as day that Newcastle are  heading for the trap door and down to the championship where they can rebuild using their mega Mi££ions, this is another opportunity to ramp up the goal difference and I can see us with a number 4 at least on the scoreline after 95, pity we only have the three sub rule, we could have done with the extra two subs to help with resting certain individuals, anyhoo I think Jürgen will rotate slightly and with Spuds on the immediate horizon, assuming it goes ahead, I’d go with this…….

Allison
                           Trent.     Konate.   Gomez.   Robbo
                                               Fabinho
                                 Thiago.                  Keita
                               Salah.        Bobby.      Mane

Bench; Kelleher, Virgil, Hendo, Jota, Milner, Ox, Divock, Kostas, Jones, Morton

Depending what the score is, I’d be starting making changes on the hour, Bobby off for Jota, Naby off for Hendo, Mo for Divock, or Thiago off for Jimmy, game should be wrapped up by then quite easily, not expecting too much woe from the barcodes and I think this will be a breeze.

5-0 Champions Elect

Y  N  W  A
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,233 posts | 752 
      Reply #21: Dec 16, 2021 10:41:41 am
      Simply going for a 3  0 win for the Reds, against a struggling Newcastle. Fingers crossed there are no late hitches and the game goes ahead tonight !
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #22: Dec 16, 2021 11:18:26 am
      Wont be watching the game as I’m taking kids to watch Spider-Man....

Going for a modest 2-1 to the Redmen but hopefully smash the sh*te out of them...

Quick Reply