Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Joe Gomez (Real Madrid)

Read 7933 times
      Aggerdoo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 3,464 posts | 228 
      Joe Gomez (Real Madrid)
      Dec 22, 2021 12:29:22 pm
      Reported in various papers today including the Daily Mail.

The BBC are now reporting too, so looks like very solid interest in Gomez

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/59755557
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,743 posts | 2436 
      Re: Joe Gomez (Real Madrid)
      Reply #1: Dec 22, 2021 12:38:30 pm

Would accept a bid over £40 million since Joe is 4th choice CB now and we will have Nat and Rhys as cover.
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,479 posts | 3285 
      Reply #2: Dec 22, 2021 12:41:55 pm

Imo there is no chance he will leave or Klopp will want him to leave - he along with Konate are there future
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #3: Dec 22, 2021 12:42:48 pm
      Sell to have to buy? Makes zero sense. Him and Konate are the future.

Insanity to sell hin
      AlwaysTheKop
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,208 posts | 1418 
      • CHAMP19NS.
      Reply #4: Dec 22, 2021 01:06:49 pm
      You don’t sell young and pacey CB’s for me, the game nowadays CB’s need to be as quick as the forwards, and we have that in Konate and Gomez, that could be a partnership for years.

Obviously money talks and if they offered absolutely silly money then you have to think they’d accept.
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,479 posts | 3285 
      Reply #5: Dec 22, 2021 01:14:38 pm
      The only way Gomez goes is if he wants to leave for regular football
      Don77
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,326 posts | 1036 
      Reply #6: Dec 22, 2021 01:40:16 pm
      A few things here. Joe's agent has no doubt been searching out interest ... its almost January isn't it. Hes 4th choice and vvd , matip and konate are going nowhere anytime soon. So the option of 1st team football, at one of the top 3 clubs in the world will no doubt be of interest to Joe.

Klopp would not want to lose him. But if as I expect he's having to sell in order to buy and the offer is good then he may consider it. Vvd, Matip, konate and Philips isn't bad is it.

If the interest is serious I'd be very surprised if Joe isn't wanting the move because bar the league Cup and the odd game at RB he isn't getting any football and he no doubt has national team aspirations as well

I dont want to lose him. And Jürgen should not be having to sell to generate transfer funds ... but on the flip it would be an incredible move for him.
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,479 posts | 3285 
      Reply #7: Dec 22, 2021 01:44:43 pm
      A few things here. Joe's agent has no doubt been searching out interest ... its almost January isn't it. Hes 4th choice and vvd , matip and konate are going nowhere anytime soon. So the option of 1st team football, at one of the top 3 clubs in the world will no doubt be of interest to Joe.

Klopp would not want to lose him. But if as I expect he's having to sell in order to buy and the offer is good then he may consider it. Vvd, Matip, konate and Philips isn't bad is it.

If the interest is serious I'd be very surprised if Joe isn't wanting the move because bar the league Cup and the odd game at RB he isn't getting any football and he no doubt has national team aspirations as well

I dont want to lose him. And Jürgen should not be having to sell to generate transfer funds ... but on the flip it would be an incredible move for him.

Where is it coming from that he is having to sell to buy 🤷‍♂️
      CT_LFC

• 6,782 posts | 1395 
      Reply #8: Dec 22, 2021 02:18:38 pm
      The only way Gomez goes is if he wants to leave for regular football

There have been rumblings this season that he is unhappy with his lack of playing time.

But with Konate having jumped over him as 3rd option it wouldn't be a surprise if he is indeed unhappy. Players want to play.
      CT_LFC

• 6,782 posts | 1395 
      Reply #9: Dec 22, 2021 02:25:43 pm
      You don’t sell young and pacey CB’s for me, the game nowadays CB’s need to be as quick as the forwards, and we have that in Konate and Gomez, that could be a partnership for years.

Obviously money talks and if they offered absolutely silly money then you have to think they’d accept.

Actually this is where common sense talks and why it's so difficult for teams to have the stacked squad that many people here think we should have just because your video game console allows you to.

Players want to play and there are only so many minutes to give to players in a season and when they are not playing they often become unhappy. With Van Dijk healthy, Matip playing well (and somehow avoiding injuries) and now Konate having jumped ahead of him, it's a hard sell to tell Joe "just hang out with the U23s until 2 go down long term then you'll be a starter again" when he's as young as he is, already proven he can play at this level and (probably) has international aspirations.

Frankly, Mr Shankly
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,971 posts | 2050 
      Reply #10: Dec 22, 2021 02:27:51 pm
      Joe is without doubt the best English defender around and the only one operating at a level close to world class on his day. I have no doubt that he can regain that form but it's a sad reality and gutting to see him slip down the pecking order behind Matip and Konate because of injury. It will take some effort to displace them but here's hoping he can do it. Would be gutted to see him leave. An absolutely top quality player.
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,479 posts | 3285 
      Reply #11: Dec 22, 2021 02:40:21 pm
      Joe is without doubt the best English defender around and the only one operating at a level close to world class on his day. I have no doubt that he can regain that form but it's a sad reality and gutting to see him slip down the pecking order behind Matip and Konate because of injury. It will take some effort to displace them but here's hoping he can do it. Would be gutted to see him leave. An absolutely top quality player.

I have no doubt that Gomez whilst won’t be happy about being on the bench won’t want to leave to quickly - Konate stepped ahead because Joe was out injured , Klopp and VVD both recently stated that Gomez and Konate are the future
      CT_LFC

• 6,782 posts | 1395 
      Reply #12: Dec 22, 2021 02:47:25 pm
      I have no doubt that Gomez whilst won’t be happy about being on the bench won’t want to leave to quickly - Konate stepped ahead because Joe was out injured , Klopp and VVD both recently stated that Gomez and Konate are the future

They are, but CBs can play at a higher level at an older age than other positions. It could be 5+ years before they would switch places and Joe/Ibra become the starters and Virgil/Joel the backup.
      AlwaysTheKop
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,208 posts | 1418 
      • CHAMP19NS.
      Reply #13: Dec 22, 2021 03:07:31 pm
      Actually this is where common sense talks and why it's so difficult for teams to have the stacked squad that many people here think we should have just because your video game console allows you to.

Players want to play and there are only so many minutes to give to players in a season and when they are not playing they often become unhappy. With Van Dijk healthy, Matip playing well (and somehow avoiding injuries) and now Konate having jumped ahead of him, it's a hard sell to tell Joe "just hang out with the U23s until 2 go down long term then you'll be a starter again" when he's as young as he is, already proven he can play at this level and (probably) has international aspirations.

Hasn’t he got like 3 and a half years left on his contract? If so it doesn’t really matter, the club are in the driving seat, and if they think he’s worth holding on to they will, and if he’s a professional with aspirations, he’ll continue to do his best.

Like I said, with that length left on his contract, I think it’ll have to be silly money to get our attention, we won’t let him go for £30-£40 million when players half his potential are going for £50 million easy.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #14: Dec 22, 2021 03:14:18 pm
      Given his injury record is once again not great this season then if an offer came in was good enough then it would be smart to sell. Gomez as good as he has looked at times hasn’t really proven anything yet because of the amount of time he spends injured. For the right money there are plenty of players out there just as good, with just as much potential but haven’t got the constant injuries.

But I’d more than happily see him stay at the club, he just doesn’t come under the category of untouchable when it comes to other teams wanting to sign him. Ultimately it’s up to Gomez I think, don’t think the club would put up a massive fight to keep him if he was desperate to leave for more regular football when he isn’t injured because unfortunately for him, it’s not something we can offer him.

IMO this summer will come down to one of either Matip or Gomez leaving and a new one coming in.

Would bleed every penny out of whoever wants to sign him and would only sell him abroad.
      -LFC-
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,136 posts | 1191 
      Reply #15: Dec 22, 2021 03:58:10 pm
      He'd have to be stupid to move to that lot. It's injuries as much as anything that've limited his chances and I see plenty of space for him to grow and contribute in the coming years as the team evolves.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #16: Dec 23, 2021 12:05:40 am
      Joe is clearly out of form and low on confidence nothing like the player we saw before his injuries only one way out work harder and listen to the manager
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,583 posts | 6643 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #17: Dec 23, 2021 01:13:42 am
      Was terrible. I know it was his first game bacv k after a while, but he just looked slow and old and he lost the ball with stupid turnovers at crucial times that cost us.  Lucky we got through, no thanks to Joe.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #18: Dec 23, 2021 09:25:40 am
      Hell come good with time but like Taki its time he might find hard to come by
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,447 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #19: Dec 23, 2021 09:51:35 am
      Joey just needs games, and will get games if he stays injury free. was much better 2nd half last night with Konate next too him.

I can see them 2 being our 1st choice CB's in a few years when VVD & Matip are playing less.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #20: Dec 23, 2021 12:19:55 pm
      They trying to replace Varane!!
      sore monad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,937 posts | 502 
      Reply #21: Dec 23, 2021 06:11:46 pm
      Hope we don't sell him. Quality and pacy CB with his best years ahead of him. Can understand him being a bit pissed off at dropping down the pecking order, but if he looks at Matip's (and even Konate's ) injury record, he will get chances to climb back up.

Meanwhile, if we sell him, we are more vulnerable to defensive injuries again (no way we should rely on Matip in particular staying fit, much though I like him).

UncleBob
      • Spotify Bob
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,135 posts | 567 
      Reply #22: Feb 27, 2023 12:36:34 am
      I forgot about this rumour a few years ago.
      Real Madrid to offer £40m for gomez…

Some of the comments are funny looking back.
      “He would be mad going there.”
      “He is our future.”

Goes to show how quickly things can change for a player.

Quick Reply