Trending Topics

Next match: Everton v LFC [Premier League] Wed 24th Apr @ 8:00 pm - Pre Match Topic
      Goodison Park

Today is the 24th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W10 D8 L7

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v Leicester?

Alisson Becker
      0 (0%)
      Trent Alexander-Arnold
      3 (4.7%)
      Joel Matip
      41 (64.1%)
      Virgil van Dijk
      3 (4.7%)
      Kostas Tsimikas
      14 (21.9%)
      Jordan Henderson
      0 (0%)
       Fabinho
      0 (0%)
      Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain
      0 (0%)
      Sadio Mane
      1 (1.6%)
      Mohammed Salah
      0 (0%)
      Diogo Jota
      1 (1.6%)
      Naby Keïta
      0 (0%)
      James Milner
      1 (1.6%)

Total Members Voted: 64

Voting closed: Jan 01, 2022 09:55:13 pm

Leicester City 1-0 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 19362 times
      Don77
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,527 posts | 1083 
      Re: Leicester City 1-0 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #759: Dec 28, 2021 11:10:40 pm
      In defence of Mo…

It’s his first missed penalty in 4 years.. shame it was tonight..

Thought he missed one last season? Obviously not.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #760: Dec 28, 2021 11:10:57 pm
      In defence of Mo…

the pressure on Sadio and Mo for the last 4 years has been crazy and they have been incredible for us but Jota has shown us there is life out there if you are prepared to enter the market
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,146 posts | 2780 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #761: Dec 28, 2021 11:11:16 pm
      In defence of Mo…

Dont think he needs defending mate, especially on missing a peno.

Tonight highlights our big problem, when hes off and Jotas off were in trouble
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #762: Dec 28, 2021 11:11:29 pm
      Citys style is better playing the other teams in the league. They are extremely good at working the ball in tight areas and have about a million technical players. They put 6 past this sh*te Leicester team a couple of days ago. We just don’t have that.

We do have it, but our problem is that the later into a game we get without having taken the lead, the more desperate we visibly get. We get to a point from moving the ball well, overlapping runs and dragging defenders out of position, quick passing exchanges etc to just aimlessly floating desperate balls into the box in the hope something will come off. City won’t deviate from their initial game plan and go down that route, they will keep going and going the same way because it works. The opposition gets more and more tired and find it harder to defend that way for an entire game. When we go down that aimless floated ball route, on the whole it’s easy to defend against because the opposition get time to pack the defence, watch the flight of the ball and the amount of numbers in the box just crowds out our players. It’s not easy to score a header from a floated cross from a near on standing position with no run at the ball to generate enough power and it probably does us more harm than good because everyone can see it’s because we’ve run out of ideas.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #763: Dec 28, 2021 11:13:09 pm
      In defence of Mo…

Missed one earlier in the season against AC Milan.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,146 posts | 2780 
      Reply #764: Dec 28, 2021 11:14:14 pm
      the pressure on Sadio and Mo for the last 4 years has been crazy and they have been incredible for us but Jota has shown us there is life out there if you are prepared to enter the market

Players havd turned us down though knowing they wont break into that front 3, now 4. Daka im sure gave that reason anyway

When players are off has Jürgen ever tweaked formation to solve it?
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,146 posts | 2780 
      Reply #765: Dec 28, 2021 11:14:49 pm
      Missed one earlier in the season against AC Milan.

Think he meant league games pal
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,287 posts | 763 
      Reply #766: Dec 28, 2021 11:16:41 pm
      Poor performance against Leicester tonight. Mo Salah's penalty being saved simply one of those things. Certainly have to up our game against Chelsea at the weekend. Pity Origi could not of come on at the end for a few minutes, or is he injured .
      Don77

• 6,527 posts | 1083 
      Reply #767: Dec 28, 2021 11:18:23 pm
      We do have it, but our problem is that the later into a game we get without having taken the lead, the more desperate we visibly get. We get to a point from moving the ball well, overlapping runs and dragging defenders out of position, quick passing exchanges etc to just aimlessly floating desperate balls into the box in the hope something will come off. City won’t deviate from their initial game plan and go down that route, they will keep going and going the same way because it works. The opposition gets more and more tired and find it harder to defend that way for an entire game. When we go down that aimless floated ball route, on the whole it’s easy to defend against because the opposition get time to pack the defence, watch the flight of the ball and the amount of numbers in the box just crowds out our players. It’s not easy to score a header from a floated cross from a near on standing position with no run at the ball to generate enough power and it probably does us more harm than good because everyone can see it’s because we’ve run out of ideas.

You also have to think about the calibre of player City are bringing on after an hour or so if in the rare event they are struggling. You'll never see them play a league game like we did tonight where 8 or 9 of them are useless. And even if they did they've a bench full of talent to bring on.

It's like that game with the hammer ... you bop one down and another springs up.

Kdb, Jesus, sterling, foden, mahrez , beenardo, gundogan, torres , grealish ... etc etc. And they are in the market for a other striker.
      Livershrew
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,539 posts | 389 
      Reply #768: Dec 28, 2021 11:18:26 pm
      Blimey…. Could be 12 back going into Sunday…
      Don77

• 6,527 posts | 1083 
      Reply #769: Dec 28, 2021 11:22:22 pm

Looking at their back 4 and midfield we should be taking control here.

It's all on us tonight. Good attitude, start well, good concentration and take our chances when they cone and we will be just fine.

Start sloppy with the wrong attitude and we will have problems. As much as we want to stick it to them its the same from their side im sure and we don't want to be giving them any encouragement or bring their crowd into the game.

If we are anywhere near our best we will be taking the points home.

Hmmmm little did we know what was to come :-(

glennusmc
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,771 posts | 462 
      Reply #770: Dec 28, 2021 11:28:18 pm
      We are the biggest scalp in the PL…

Liverpool are always the team to beat…

Facts, they come out of the woodwork to play against us.

HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,030 posts | 1973 
      Reply #771: Dec 28, 2021 11:30:22 pm

I disagree.  I don’t think we’re very good at moving the ball around the edge of the box in tight areas and Thiago aside, we don’t have anybody who can play that killer pass either. The type of pass a David silva would play for example where he’s on the edge of the oppositions box with five defenders around him but still slides somebody in. We don’t have technical players and it’s these type of games where you need them. Firmino & thiago are desperately needed in these matches.

I also disagree on us floating balls in. Yes I know we do that, when we become a bit desperate towards the end of a game, but that’s natural. Every team does that and even city do if they’re one down with 3mins to go. In general though we don’t panic and we stick to plan A. As much as I adore klopp, one of the few things that annoys me about him is his refusal to try a plan B. It’s plan A or nothing with us. 99% of the time plan A works but sometimes we need something different.

As well as a lack of technical players, we don’t shoot from range either. We don’t have a de bruyne do we. It only takes a fizzing shot for a keeper to parry it and Sadio and Mo are that quick they’d be onto any rebounds straight away.

I’ve mentioned it previously on here and some of you may agree, some of you may disagree, but I don’t know why Trent isn’t pushed further up the pitch in these moments. Milner came on today when we were chasing a goal and played in a two with naby.  Why not put milner right back because Leicester weren’t offering any threat, and move Trent into the middle because if there’s an opportunity around the box for anybody to put their laces through and hit it then I wouldn’t want anyone else but him on it.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #772: Dec 28, 2021 11:32:53 pm
      Think he meant league games pal

Oh right. I view it since his last miss regardless of the competition personally but that’s just me. But none the less it was still a great run he was on even with that one miss in Europe.
      glennusmc
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,771 posts | 462 
      Reply #773: Dec 28, 2021 11:35:01 pm
      Really frustrating night. We seem to have half a dozen or so of these games each season where for whatever reason too many of our lads don’t show up. You can carry one, maybe two, but you can’t carry 8 or 9.

I thought Matip and tskmikas had good games, virgil and Trent did ok, and then the rest were poor in truth.

I was surprised ox got hooked. I don’t think he was particularly great or anything but I still thought he was the better of the three in the middle. He tried to clip a few balls over the top and was the only creative thing we had in the middle. Fabinho was really off it tonight and I was surprised Hendo wasn’t hooked much sooner too.  Got to say though naby was awful when he came on and Milner was just Milner, great at helping seeing games out but he’s not what you want when you’re chasing a goal.

The front three were huffing and puffing all night and Bobby should have been brought on much sooner.

3 points dropped against a sh*te Leicester team. We had the chances but didn’t take them. Very annoying.

Presumably city will go 9 clear after they play Brentford and I think that’s too much to claw back despite having a game in hand.

In my opinion, and without being biased, we’re the best team in the league. When we’re performing at our absolute best then I don’t think anybody else can touch us. The problem is our style requires the opposition to leave gaps and spaces for it to be effective and that’s why we see these games from time to time. We struggle to break down teams who put ten behind the ball and sit deep. It’s why we signed thiago to offer that something different and boy did we miss him tonight.

Citys style is better playing the other teams in the league. They are extremely good at working the ball in tight areas and have about a million technical players. They put 6 past this sh*te Leicester team a couple of days ago. We just don’t have that.

But it’s why we will always do better than them in europe because generally you come up against top teams who want to play, therefore leaving the space for us to exploit and that’s when we’re at our best.

Shambles tonight. Very frustrating. Gutted because my head is telling me we can’t catch city now.

We’ve given ourselves a bit of a mountain to climb. But we’re liverpool and we never do it easy do we? Chelsea is an absolute must win.

Great read, although I wasn’t surprised that Ox got hooked, but Naby played worse.
      Don77

• 6,527 posts | 1083 
      Reply #774: Dec 28, 2021 11:35:05 pm
      Oh right. I view it since his last miss regardless of the competition personally but that’s just me. But none the less it was still a great run he was on even with that one miss in Europe.

Yes and no issue with Mo having a poor game. It happens, even to the best. Pity nobody stepped up to cover for him.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,146 posts | 2780 
      Reply #775: Dec 28, 2021 11:35:55 pm
      Sorrý to see so many think its over

Yes well likely be 9 behind tomorrow but with a game in hand. And while not many fixtures jump out as ones city will drop points in there are games, including v us, where they could. Itll be just up to us to capitalise

Over the years ive learned one thing about the premier league, teams drop points on title run ins that nobody expects. So have some respect for yourselves and hold your bollox until its at least April
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #776: Dec 28, 2021 11:41:56 pm
      I disagree.  I don’t think we’re very good at moving the ball around the edge of the box in tight areas and Thiago aside, we don’t have anybody who can play that killer pass either

You only need to look back at the many goals we’ve scored this season to see we are good at it. Just because we don’t do it as well as City doesn’t mean we don’t do it well.

As for the killer pass I can think of one straight away; Hendo with the outside of his foot to completely carve open the United defence and put Salah through for one of his goals.

Don’t forget City don’t have a striker, they literally play the likes of Bernardo, Foden, KDB etc in the front 3 or as a false 9 so they will be recording more goal involvements than our midfielders because we don’t play the likes of Hendo, Thiago etc in attack. And for as good as KDB is, in 13 league games this season, he has so far recorded 0 assists.

We have plenty of players capable of playing the killer ball, but when you’ve got Mane for example missing chance after chance, the assists aren’t going to be getting completed.

City have plenty of things they are good at but not as good as us and vice versa, it doesn’t mean we aren’t any good at it. You don’t score the amount of goals we have, and been having a season like we have if you’re incapable of moving around the ball well and finding the killer passes. In fact, the number of goal involvements from our midfield this season has actually increased in recent years.
      Don77

• 6,527 posts | 1083 
      Reply #777: Dec 28, 2021 11:44:14 pm
      I'm off to bed. I dont believe we can win the title now.

If Jürgen is leaving in 2 years he needs to start working out how to manoeuvre himself some money to freshen up this team to challenge across those 2 seasons. If Mo hasn't signed 6 months from now and has one year left then a decision needs to be made. I hope it doesn't come to that. But we cant let a 100m plus asset walk away for free and then have no funds from his departure to replace him.

Regardless of what happens this season the 2 teams around us will spend 100-200m net next summer. Id like to see a creative player in midfield capable of scoring regularly and another no9 type player added.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,146 posts | 2780 
      Reply #778: Dec 28, 2021 11:46:43 pm
      Lets move on, fook all we can change about tonight

Onto the scum chavs now. Beat them and everyone will feel different about the rest of the season
      brilad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,967 posts | 99 
      Reply #779: Dec 28, 2021 11:49:36 pm
      Just feel really disappointed,thought we would absolutely batter this lot tonight.
      LFCbronx
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,402 posts | 191 
      Reply #780: Dec 28, 2021 11:52:07 pm
      Come on mate we play them on the 9th April, it's extremely unlikely they'd have won the title with 7 games to spare. I don't think any side has done that in the history of the Premier League

Didn't we win the title with 7 to spare? Or was it 6, i forget.

It wasn't our day today , that's all. It does happen to the best of teams. The problem is City set the bar so damn high it's almost impossible to compete year after year. They are on pace for over 100 points.  Damn , we finished with 98 points and didnt win the league. There was a time I thought that would be impossible.

As for today,  Once Mo missed the Pen. i was very nervous. And the miss by Mane, WTH.   Catching City now is nearly impossible , nearly.  We still play them.  The gap is 6 with even number of games played.  Definitely a long shot for sure. Start with a must win Sunday.

How about we focus more on Domestic Cups also,  now that we are in a semi-final.  Go on and win it FFS. A trophy is a trophy.  FA Cup as well. Champions League. Losing a title to a team that can spend 100 million on a guy that rarely starts is no shame.  It's just the fact.  Their "B" team would probably be competing for a top 4 spot.

I fear the Premier League is turning into the Bundesliga where Bayern wins the league before a ball is kicked.  The only one to stop them was Klopp , twice.  And the only one to stop City since Klopp got here was Klopp.  I love this team and the style we play. They have given us so much joy in the last 3-4 years. Let's not forget. 

Sadly , reality is City , Chelsea and maybe even eventually Newcastle (stress maybe) will probably win 8 or 9 titles every 10 years between them. Money talks and bullshit walks and they both spend truckloads of it.  Modern football

One thing that gets me nervous now is that Salah is not locked up long term by now. The man said he wants to finish his career here.  Make it happen.  I can't understand why FSG is messing around with this. He's the most important player we've had during this great run.  Give him a blank check FFS.  If FSG lets him go, then FSG can F**k off.  It's time to rejuvenate the squad, which we should have been doing the last few transfer markets. Instead of having a negative transfer spend.   You have to spend money to win in football , like when we signed VVD and Ali for big bucks. CL and League next 2 seasons.

I'm still so proud of this club , no matter what happens.  Always will be.

Sorry for the rant, just gutted after today.

Happy New Year All and YNWA

LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,610 posts | 3915 
      Reply #781: Dec 28, 2021 11:59:18 pm
      Chelsea game is massive, if we don’t win then we’re 100% out the race

Quick Reply