Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v Leicester?

Alisson Becker
      0 (0%)
      Trent Alexander-Arnold
      3 (4.7%)
      Joel Matip
      41 (64.1%)
      Virgil van Dijk
      3 (4.7%)
      Kostas Tsimikas
      14 (21.9%)
      Jordan Henderson
      0 (0%)
       Fabinho
      0 (0%)
      Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain
      0 (0%)
      Sadio Mane
      1 (1.6%)
      Mohammed Salah
      0 (0%)
      Diogo Jota
      1 (1.6%)
      Naby Keïta
      0 (0%)
      James Milner
      1 (1.6%)

Total Members Voted: 64

Voting closed: Jan 01, 2022 09:55:13 pm

Leicester City 1-0 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 18865 times
      CT_LFC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,782 posts | 1395 
      Re: Leicester City 1-0 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #828: Dec 29, 2021 02:58:16 pm

A key moment that summed Salah up was when we had a counter attack in the first half, he had the ball on the half way line, and Mane sprinted down his left. Instead of releasing the ball which was simply the obvious move that any average player would do, he held on, was pressured by a Leicester players, and lost it.

Yup. Remember that play well. Mane had a rotten game so it’s not like he would have scored but it was a great chance for a counter that Salah completely fu**ed up. He had a game as bad as Mane’s, probably worse since he missed the penalty and the rebound.
      DanMann

• 5,635 posts | 866 
      Reply #829: Dec 29, 2021 03:25:17 pm
      Yup. Remember that play well. Mane had a rotten game so it’s not like he would have scored but it was a great chance for a counter that Salah completely fu**ed up. He had a game as bad as Mane’s, probably worse since he missed the penalty and the rebound.

Mane was pretty awful and spurned that glorious chance. To be fair to Mane, he played a very important role in the box of holding off the defender and playing one twos to create opportunities. He did that well.. but that was all.

After Salah missed, I fully expected him to score within the next 5 mins to shut them up. But give them 200 minutes and we probably still wouldn't have scored.
      PolarBearRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,695 posts | 837 
      Reply #830: Dec 29, 2021 04:43:19 pm
      I don't get why every time we lose or draw a game the same conversation about buying players comes on regardless of the circumstance and the problems that were encountered on the pitch.

What would an extra forward or an extra player of any position have done yesterday? It was a sh*t game for the whole squad. Apart from TAA and maybe Tsimikas everybody was poor. After Mo missed the penalty we never looked like getting back in the game and the few chances we created we squandered. The front three was poor, Firmino came on and was also poor. That's 4 top class players all being poor at the same time all while the backline did not look solid all night long and the midfield was bypassed way too easily. Collective sh*t. No sense in sitting here arguing that an extra forward would've changed the whole dynamic and form of the team.

I did not understand the substitutions. Why bring on Keita on for OX only to swap Fabinho for Milner a few minutes after and pin Keita back with Milner in a double 6 role? The only reason I can see is that Fabinho was not ready to play 90 minutes after covid but this sure does not help because Keita is not a 6 and wont give you anything playing that far back. I honestly thought that Keita was coming on to play in the hole behind the 3 forwards and that Hendo and Fab were gonna play the double 6 roles. It feel likes we wasted 2 subs because Keita was never gonna give you anything helpful from that deep and nothing Milner can do in that midfield role Hendo can't. You might as well had taken off Fab (if you had to) and plopped Konate in that CDM position alongside Hendo and pushed Keita into the 10 role and then later either supplemented with Bobby in exchange of Hendo for more bodies in the box or a straight swap between him Mane/Salah who were piss poor all night long.

waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #831: Dec 29, 2021 04:48:23 pm
      Don't quite know what happened yesterday especially during that second half.

I was thinking about the 2019 game when everyone thought we would get hammered after our  efforts in a far away land but in 19/20 we were so focused on each game. Maybe all this covid sh*t has just taken an edge away from our game but it is worrying when Jürgen looks so shocked and is unable to explain that performance. I still think we will finish well but unless Brentford perform a miracle against City then we are not going to win this league. We are misfiring at the moment Jürgen is smart and honest enough to work out why and sort it
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #832: Dec 29, 2021 04:59:32 pm
      I know the managers and players complain about having the quick turnaround of games over Christmas but I think there’s a lot to be said about being the team to play just 2 days prior. Don’t think there’s any doubt about it that the players probably enjoyed Christmas a bit more this year having had Boxing Day off and although Leicester lost 6-3 to City, their 2nd half performance gave them a big boost going into our game where as it had been over a week since our first choice 11 would’ve played together - the disappointing draw vs Spurs. If we’d have played Leeds on Boxing Day then IMO we would’ve been in a better way for the game yesterday because we were lethargic, we weren’t sharp in any of our play, players looked complacent and almost as though they expected Leicester to run out of steam but it didn’t happen. Some teams are better off for a break between games but IMO we step it up more when the games are coming at us thick and fast.

Not necessarily the case. Mo had a very poor game against Spurs but we still scored twice.

No question which team looked fresher last night, and they had some knocks going in. You may be on to something.
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,053 posts | 82 
      Reply #833: Dec 29, 2021 05:27:14 pm
      I do not see why even Jürgen complains. This was a good square football match from us. Stats support it: we had 21 shots vs. 6 from them, 4 vs. 1 shots on goal, 12 vs. 1 corners, 64% to 36% possession. These are the stats we usually produce against weaker teams and L. was injury-riddled, so maybe a weak team on paper for this match. We also had at least 3 top chances to score. What else do you want? For me this was just "one of those days". Really think Jürgen will revise his opinion after a look at the replay.
      rossyred

• 9,090 posts | 1631 
      Reply #834: Dec 29, 2021 06:03:21 pm
      I don't get why every time we lose or draw a game the same conversation about buying players comes on regardless of the circumstance and the problems that were encountered on the pitch.

What would an extra forward or an extra player of any position have done yesterday? It was a sh*t game for the whole squad. Apart from TAA and maybe Tsimikas everybody was poor. After Mo missed the penalty we never looked like getting back in the game and the few chances we created we squandered. The front three was poor, Firmino came on and was also poor. That's 4 top class players all being poor at the same time all while the backline did not look solid all night long and the midfield was bypassed way too easily. Collective sh*t. No sense in sitting here arguing that an extra forward would've changed the whole dynamic and form of the team.

I did not understand the substitutions. Why bring on Keita on for OX only to swap Fabinho for Milner a few minutes after and pin Keita back with Milner in a double 6 role? The only reason I can see is that Fabinho was not ready to play 90 minutes after covid but this sure does not help because Keita is not a 6 and wont give you anything playing that far back. I honestly thought that Keita was coming on to play in the hole behind the 3 forwards and that Hendo and Fab were gonna play the double 6 roles. It feel likes we wasted 2 subs because Keita was never gonna give you anything helpful from that deep and nothing Milner can do in that midfield role Hendo can't. You might as well had taken off Fab (if you had to) and plopped Konate in that CDM position alongside Hendo and pushed Keita into the 10 role and then later either supplemented with Bobby in exchange of Hendo for more bodies in the box or a straight swap between him Mane/Salah who were piss poor all night long.

Spot on . Keita offered  very little in the deep role not his game and saw in last ten minutes when further up was Trying one twos with Mane trying to get us back in it much more effective further forward
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,821 posts | 4920 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #835: Dec 29, 2021 06:36:08 pm
      Being realistic its a huge ask now to catch city but its not beyond possible that theycan or will drop points to us and chelsea.

Spurs and utd potentially could nick something and how many times over the last few seasons habe they dropped points to a palace or southampton tupe team

Yes itll be tough but no way is it over

Your seeing it as I see it Brian, City have been complacent before no reason why they won’t again, yes they are flying right now, but every team has a spell where they have a lean period, we just need to make sure we don’t have another performance like last night, after Chavs we’ll  lose Mane, Mo & Naby for two league games at least, against I think Brentford & Burnley, so it’s not too bad, we should have enough to get past them, 19 gone 19 to go and the seasons is over ?  Yeah like F**k it is !!!
      alex1995
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,185 posts | 165 
      Reply #836: Dec 29, 2021 06:40:04 pm
      For me, it's simply a bad day for a lot of players at the same time. I think Henderson was average at best, our front three was poor and bear the responsibility. They could have won us the game in the first half itself.

Midfield was average but not catastrophic, although I think Ox, again, missed the opportunity to shine.

I hope we'll recover and compete for the title.

Klopp is not to blame on this one.
      bigbob75
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,264 posts | 280 
      • Let's talk about six
      Reply #837: Dec 29, 2021 06:55:42 pm
      Thought we started really well and could have been up on them like city were their game before.

Sometimes it goes for you and sometimes it doesn’t but for me an unlucky loss.

I said a few weeks ago that Chelsea would have a bad spell and they did, so it’s not against all odds that city will.

Keep the faith and it’s certainly not impossible reds 👊🏼
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,111 posts | 896 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #838: Dec 29, 2021 07:04:29 pm
      Didn’t play badly just never good our chances, squad is getting old and needs new blood, but no doubt our owners won’t be wanting to spend……again
      Tadders

• 6,613 posts | 558 
      Reply #839: Dec 29, 2021 07:49:16 pm
      More than likely be 12 points behind when we play Chelsea so that game is now whoever loses is out of the race.
      PastorGeek
      • Not Actual Geek
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,474 posts | 701 
      Reply #840: Dec 29, 2021 08:12:07 pm
      We've had league winning form for like 4 seasons against City. 2 defeats in half a season feels like failure. It shouldn't. This is unrealistic. The problem is Citeh squad is too powerful. Our owners gotta stop being lil bitches and drop some more cash
      saille29
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,483 posts | 240 
      Reply #841: Dec 29, 2021 09:08:37 pm
      Would have been nice to have played a home premier League game over the Xmas period, shame Leeds was postponed, massive disadvantage to not have any home fans in the circumstances
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,053 posts | 82 
      Reply #842: Dec 29, 2021 10:10:14 pm
      We've had league winning form for like 4 seasons against City. 2 defeats in half a season feels like failure. It shouldn't. This is unrealistic. The problem is Citeh squad is too powerful. Our owners gotta stop being lil bitches and drop some more cash

They won't. They want to make profit out of this club while the Sheiks of City want to gain reputation and fame. Completely different models. It explains the past and will fortell the future. We need to find Sheiks to be as competitive as City, simple as that, or we will need to be more patient and more satisfied with less.

I also think we play a good season. The difference to 2019 seems just pure luck. Back then we would have won against 10-men-Chelsea, Brentford and maybe even City (we led them 2-1 late). It is not that we can point to any specific things better in 2019 vs. 2021, therefore we can call it luck. I mean in 2019 Salah makes the penalty and Mané uses his 100% chance and Leiceister would have been done. But both are not worse than in 2019, it's just sometimes it goes for you and sometimes it doesn't. This is football.
      Rush Goalie
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,234 posts | 261 
      Reply #843: Dec 29, 2021 10:29:16 pm

Can't disagree with this..
      alex1995
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,185 posts | 165 
      Reply #844: Dec 30, 2021 06:39:36 am
      It pains to say it, but I think Mane has become in many ways unreliable. I think he hasn't score in 8 games and again, he is missing golden opportunities which could win us games. Don't get me wrong, I have huge respect for him and always will, he deserves to be in our X1 but we should look for back up now.
      sore monad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,937 posts | 502 
      Reply #845: Dec 30, 2021 10:24:49 am
      Don't think the performance was as bad as it seems. We dominated them completely but didn't take our chances. Meanwhile at the other end, Trent had his obligatory couple of switch-offs. Got away with the first one, when he let Dewsbury-Hall run past him and we only just got away with it thanks to a great interception by Kostas (who was our second best player, after Matip). Was even worse on the goal, when he had about 5 yards on Lookman but just let him sprint past while he jogged back. Seriously frustrating player Trent - probably the best FB in the world going forward (which makes him close to undroppable) but takes it as a licence to have a wee rest from defending at various points in nearly every game. Would like to see the stats for the number of attacks opponents have down his side of the pitch compared with Robertson/Kostas side, cos there is no doubt opposition managers target him, knowing he will sometimes let a runner go, while Robbo won't.

So basically mistakes at both ends were the difference. Overall play was not brilliant, but not that bad. We created plenty of chances to win the game, and I think their goal was their only shot on target. On another day, Lookman doesn't take his chance as well (Virgil had made it difficult for him, closing off most of the goal), and Mo or Sade or Jota put away a couple of their big chances and nobody is complaining about the performance.

Title chances not gone yet, half a season is plenty to reel in a 6 point lead. City will drop points. Our forwards won't have too many bad days like that (hopefully anyway - that performance did bring back memories of Jan-March last season when they all dipped). I would like to see Jürgen give Trent a serious kick up the arse though, cos his defensive lapses are a recurring theme which too often mean we need to score more than 1 goal to win the game. It's a lot harder to win those "grind out a result in the middle of winter" type games (like City did yesterday), when you have a defensive soft spot that means you aren't keeping clean sheets, even in games you dominate.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #846: Dec 30, 2021 10:53:18 am

thats is not true though is it. 2017 76pts 2018 75 2019 98 2020 99 2021 69 so two challenges not 4.
      but on top of that 2 Cl Finals 1 Europa league final and a League cup final. thats some record Jürgen has and it says to me that with more support those defeats in finals could have been wins.
      __Tickle__
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,609 posts | 365 
      Reply #847: Dec 30, 2021 11:23:00 am
      In this covid era it will be the best squads that should benefit. The ones that can deal with the absences and the quick turnarounds to cram the games back in.

Obviously that leaves City miles clear of the rest of us and explains why some bookies have already paid out on them.

Chelsea have a big squad and we have one of the best 11s to negate our small squad. I'd say that puts us both in a fight for 2nd spot.

United on Paper and on what they spend on players and wages are woefully underachieving because they should be up there with us in that race but they're off the pace.

City will run away with it we will be fighting for 2nd with Chelsea and then the 2 north London clubs will do battle with United for 4th.

Thats where the season is at but we also have 3 cups to play for still so hopefully we can do something there as well.

But as long as covid protocols stretch teams resources man city with their potent mix of fake sponsorship deals and incredible coaching efforts will not be stopped. 

In some ways its unfair on us to expect that we can do anything about it. We don't spend money on new players, we don't build never ending squad depth. United and Chelsea have attempted it but are still falling short and we just plug on with more or less the same 15 players we've plugged on withfor the last 3 years. 

I'll tell anyone what Pep would have done with Sadio by now. He'd have him on the bench or out the club and another 60 million £ man brought in. Here he is still someone we pin our hopes on to help us to win a title.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #848: Dec 30, 2021 03:34:56 pm
      They won't. They want to make profit out of this club while the Sheiks of City want to gain reputation and fame.

Hence them bringing in Pep to win the Champions League and the scruffy manc tw*ts still can't win it.

Plus we've already got a reputation and fame with being one of the biggest and most successful teams in the country!!
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #849: Dec 30, 2021 03:36:05 pm
      It pains to say it, but I think Mane has become in many ways unreliable. I think he hasn't score in 8 games and again, he is missing golden opportunities which could win us games. Don't get me wrong, I have huge respect for him and always will, he deserves to be in our X1 but we should look for back up now.

Apart from the chance he fluffed, I thought he worked his arse off and kept trying.
      RedWilly

• 9,146 posts | 1619 
      Reply #850: Dec 30, 2021 04:03:33 pm
      We weren’t great obviously, but it’s only our second defeat of the season.

It’s quite depressing that we can be so good but still not be close enough to City. It’s a joke, they can just buy 3 first XI’s and rotate so injuries or covid have no impact on them when the rest of us need to struggle through.

The leagues becoming like Germany or France with the same winner every year and occasionally another team might get in there but it will be the exception.

Absolute joke and it shouldn’t be allowed but money talks unfortunately.

Feeling very disillusioned at the moment because even with our best squad in decades and the best manager in my lifetime (and in my opinion in the world), we still can’t get close enough unless we have perfection.

Quick Reply