Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

The city break thread

Read 3120 times
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      The city break thread
      Jan 01, 2022 09:12:54 pm
      A thread just to discuss and get opinions on various cities. So a poster looking to book somewhere or has booked somewhere can get some feedback from other posters.

Hoping to book Florence so any info on placrs to stay, visit, eat etc. Cheers
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Re: The city break thread
      Reply #1: Jan 01, 2022 09:50:25 pm
      We've done quite a few but one I'd like to spend a bit more time in is Bergamo.

Spent a chunk of a day there waiting on our flight back from a week in Lake Garda and it really seems worth a proper visit.

higgy_sham
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,264 posts | 796 
      Reply #2: Jan 01, 2022 09:54:02 pm
      Only one I've done with the wife is Krakow.

It was fantastic for touristy things like the Salt Mines and Auschwitz.

Any other city breaks have been with the boys and the less said the better 😂
      -LFC-
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,136 posts | 1192 
      Reply #3: Jan 01, 2022 10:40:10 pm
      Granada. Chilled out, lots of nice markets to visit in the Arab quarter, as well as bars near by the river and flamenco shows at night (amazing if you get a good one). The Alhambra in summer is a wonder to behold with its history, glorious architecture and views across the city.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Reply #4: Jan 02, 2022 09:15:24 pm
      If anyone is wondering about American cities let me know. Been to most decent size ones at this point and pretty versed especially on the Florida ones.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #5: Jan 02, 2022 09:31:39 pm
      If anyone is wondering about American cities let me know. Been to most decent size ones at this point and pretty versed especially on the Florida ones.

Was just going to say about New York.

I'm not sure how it is for you guys mate but for me the greatest of them all and I recommend if you can afford it make it top of the list.

We done a week and even managed to squeeze a day trip to Washington DC in the middle.

My wife never thought she wanted to go to NY but it's been her favourite holiday we've had.
      rossyred
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,092 posts | 1632 
      Reply #6: Jan 02, 2022 09:33:12 pm

I'm not sure how it is for you guys mate but for me the greatest of them all and I recommend if you can afford it make it top of the list.

We done a week and even managed to squeeze a day trip to Washington DC in the middle.

My wife never thought she wanted to go to NY but it's been her favourite holiday we've had.

Planning my wife's 50th October this year and was hoping to do NY . Is it better planning the tours and sites pre departure and what do you recommend seeing bearing in mind 4 nights trip ?
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #7: Jan 02, 2022 09:36:09 pm
      Planning my wife's 50th October this year and was hoping to do NY . Is it better planning the tours and sites pre departure and what do you recommend seeing bearing in mind 4 nights trip ?

We got the City Pass mate and just planned our own stuff using that to pay as it saves a fair bit on admission.

I'm big on planning my own stuff and love finding my own way about in public transport and the like so we always just plan out own days.

Even when we go to Europe I never book a package, just flights, our own accomodation then find my own way in trains etc.
      Redman7804
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 570 posts | 267 
      Reply #8: Jan 02, 2022 09:37:25 pm

No book then when you’re there , far better rates than booking prior

I’ve been a couple of times, so much to see and do. But I’d suggest just winging it with a rough idea and booking  when you’re there
      rossyred

• 9,092 posts | 1632 
      Reply #9: Jan 02, 2022 09:38:18 pm
      We got the City Pass mate and just planned our own stuff using that to pay as it saves a fair bit on admission.

I'm big on planning my own stuff and love finding my own way about in public transport and the like so we always just plan out own days.

Even when we go to Europe I never book a package, just flights, our own accomodation then find my own way in trains etc.

See I am sh*te like that more of  routine/planned type of guy . Heard about the City pass think that sounds good. Thanks for the info
      rossyred

• 9,092 posts | 1632 
      Reply #10: Jan 02, 2022 09:41:19 pm
      No book then when you’re there , far better rates than booking prior

I’ve been a couple of times, so much to see and do. But I’d suggest just winging it with a rough idea and booking  when you’re there

What are the best things to visit or see. Central Park and Night boat trip are standing out
      Redman7804
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 570 posts | 267 
      Reply #11: Jan 02, 2022 09:42:57 pm
      See I am sh*te like that more of  routine/planned type of guy . Heard about the City pass think that sounds good. Thanks for the info

City pass is sound, really is .

But honestly it’s easy to get around and if you have the rough idea of what you want to do it’s better to just do it off the cuff

If you’re fairly central then it’s so easy there, just head where you want to go and book local prices mate

What are the best things to visit or see. Central Park and Night boat trip are standing out

Depends what you want to do mate

I’ve been to the yankees whilst there, as well as the basketball
      Up the ESB, the one world, Rockafella, Statue of Liberty, walking over the Brooklyn bridge

Tell you what I really loved, they have turned the old over land train lines from midtown (I believe) all the way down to the financial district as a walk, it’s beautiful

I loved  walking over the Brooklyn bridge, it was thanksgiving and we spent the afternoon in Brooklyn in a few bars

Going to a show on broadway, one you haven’t booked or thought about

Carraghers bar is worth a visit and a beer and a meal for us reds

Riding the underground

Central Park, just walking it, but seeing the zoo there or if you’re in winter going to the skating ring

Honestly it’s the best city in the world
      « Last Edit: Jan 02, 2022 09:49:01 pm by Redman7804 »
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #12: Jan 02, 2022 09:47:26 pm

Don't get me wrong mate I sit at home and plan what we would like to see so we have a rough idea and even have some days planned.

There is so much to see literally I feel we would need another week but highlights for us were:

Just walking around Midtown on our first full day and going to Empire State building day and then that evening.

Time Sq at night is a must.

Some sort of boat trip to see Manhatten from a distance. We went to Ellis Island instead of getting off at Statue of Liberty. Really good experience.

One World Trade Centre and 9/11 museum. Very moving place to be in.

We went to see The Mets baseball on the Friday evening. Took the subway over to Flushing Meadows. Great evening.

Also if you're a Sopranos fan go to Mulberry Street and find the Mulberry St Bar where Johnny Sack's crew hung out, also Donnie Brasco filmed there.

I could go on and on 😃
      « Last Edit: Jan 02, 2022 09:56:16 pm by srslfc »
      rossyred

• 9,092 posts | 1632 
      Reply #13: Jan 02, 2022 09:54:42 pm
      Don't get me wrong mate I sit at home and Okan what we would like to see so we have a rough idea and even have some days planned.

There is so much to see literally I feel we would need another week but highlights for us were:

Just walking around Midtown on our first full day and going to Empire State building day and then that evening.

Time Sq at night is a must.

Some sort of boat trip to see Manhatten from a distance. We went to Ellis Island instead of getting off at Statue of Liberty. Really good experience.

One World Trade Centre and 9/11 museum. Very moving place to be in.

We went to see The Mets baseball on the Friday evening. Took the subway over to Flushing Meadows. Great evening.

Also if you're a Sopranos fan go to Mulberry Street and find the Mulberry St Bar where Johnny Sack's crew hung out, also Donnie Brasco filmed there.

I could go on and on 😃

Some good help there cheers mate 👍
      Redman7804
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 570 posts | 267 
      Reply #14: Jan 02, 2022 09:56:09 pm
      Some good help there cheers mate 👍

The old land train lines mate, couldn’t spend a better afternoon 👍
      rossyred

• 9,092 posts | 1632 
      Reply #15: Jan 02, 2022 09:57:01 pm
      City pass is sound, really is .

But honestly it’s easy to get around and if you have the rough idea of what you want to do it’s better to just do it off the cuff

If you’re fairly central then it’s so easy there, just head where you want to go and book local prices mate

Depends what you want to do mate

I’ve been to the yankees whilst there, as well as the basketball
      Up the ESB, the one world, Rockafella, Statue of Liberty, walking over the Brooklyn bridge

Tell you what I really loved, they have turned the old over land train lines from midtown (I believe) all the way down to the financial district as a walk, it’s beautiful

I loved  walking over the Brooklyn bridge, it was thanksgiving and we spent the afternoon in Brooklyn in a few bars

Going to a show on broadway, one you haven’t booked or thought about

Carraghers bar is worth a visit and a beer and a meal for us reds

Riding the underground

Central Park, just walking it, but seeing the zoo there or if you’re in winter going to the skating ring

Honestly it’s the best city in the world

Little chance of any sport with it being Wife's 50th . Some good tips thank you
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #16: Jan 02, 2022 09:58:18 pm
      The old land train lines mate, couldn’t spend a better afternoon 👍

Is that the High line mate where the old train lines turned into a garden?

I'd so we didn't get time for that and really want to do that if we get the chance again
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Reply #17: Jan 02, 2022 10:00:34 pm

One of my least favorite, and now with all the bullshit Covid mandates, people are leaving by the droves.

Was overrated for me even before Covid. Too much traffic, public transit dirty and everything overpriced.

Now Washington DC…that’s my favorite bigger city in the country. Clean and efficient public transit, tons of stuff to do and see, a lot of it free. A wonderful place to visit although I’d probably swerve it as well till after Covid craziness goes away.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #18: Jan 02, 2022 10:04:09 pm
      One of my least favorite, and now with all the bullshit Covid mandates, people are leaving by the droves.

Was overrated for me even before Covid. Too much traffic, public transit dirty and everything overpriced.

Now Washington DC…that’s my favorite bigger city in the country. Clean and efficient public transit, tons of stuff to do and see, a lot of it free. A wonderful place to visit although I’d probably swerve it as well till after Covid craziness goes away.

I had a feeling you'd say that ;D

I think for me coming from a small town in Ireland New York is like a dream destination from the movies so will always feel special. It's why I asked how an American seen it and had a feeling you'd feel different.

Yea DC was amazing. We only had a short window as we got the bus from NY so spent the morning in Arlington and then most of the afternoon along the Mall.

Definitely one I'd like to spend at least a weekend in next time
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      Reply #19: Jan 02, 2022 10:36:22 pm
      Do we have any Germans on the forum?

Wouldnt mind a rail tour of some of the cities
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Reply #20: Jan 02, 2022 10:42:49 pm
      I had a feeling you'd say that ;D

I think for me coming from a small town in Ireland New York is like a dream destination from the movies so will always feel special. It's why I asked how an American seen it and had a feeling you'd feel different.

Yea DC was amazing. We only had a short window as we got the bus from NY so spent the morning in Arlington and then most of the afternoon along the Mall.

Definitely one I'd like to spend at least a weekend in next time

Yea you could spend a whole week in DC pretty easily and almost never leave the mall area. I wanted to like New York, but it’s  just too much for me. 2 days there is enough for and then the novelty wears off.
      Redman7804
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 570 posts | 267 
      Reply #21: Jan 03, 2022 09:52:24 am
      Yea you could spend a whole week in DC pretty easily and almost never leave the mall area. I wanted to like New York, but it’s  just too much for me. 2 days there is enough for and then the novelty wears off.

I think New York is one of those places for tourists rather than “locals”

It’s a place we’ve seen in movies, in songs…

For me it’s perfect cause it America without feeling too American for the most part.. probably because of its immigrant history and ideology
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      Reply #22: Jan 23, 2022 08:03:49 pm
      Munich booked..Any tips

Quick Reply