Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v Chelsea?

Caoimhin Kelleher
      59 (72.8%)
      Virgil van Dijk
      0 (0%)
      Ibrahima KonatƩ
      5 (6.2%)
      Trent Alexander-Arnold
      1 (1.2%)
      Kostas Tsimikas
      4 (4.9%)
       Fabinho
      1 (1.2%)
      James Milner
      2 (2.5%)
      Jordan Henderson
      1 (1.2%)
      Sadio Mane
      1 (1.2%)
      Mohammed Salah
      7 (8.6%)
      Diogo Jota
      0 (0%)
      Naby KeĆÆta
      0 (0%)
      Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain
      0 (0%)
      Curtis Jones
      0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 81

Voting closed: Jan 06, 2022 06:24:58 pm

Chelsea 2-2 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 23440 times
      Tadders
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,613 posts | 558 
      Re: Chelsea 2-2 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #851: Jan 02, 2022 11:31:37 pm
      Thought our young keeper was brilliant again.

Virgil will be brilliant again second half of the season, so we just have to win a trophy.
      tomx
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,244 posts | 229 
      Reply #852: Jan 02, 2022 11:41:03 pm
      title 10000% gone already on 3.january. just not good enough.

midfield was shocking slow..

why is ox playing striker position????
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,030 posts | 1973 
      Reply #853: Jan 03, 2022 12:03:55 am
      Why do people keep saying thereā€™s no money. Weā€™re Liverpool? Of course thereā€™s money.

You only have to look at the other premierleague teams and even some championship teams to see money is there. How can a Southampton or a bournemouth possibly spend more than us?

The money we make from our sponsorships, the CL money and in recent years our prize money then there has to be money there. Letā€™s not forget the years and years of negative or very small net spends meaning the money builds too.

If Iā€™m wrong and there isnā€™t any money at all, then surely you have to accept and agree that the club is being extremely poorly ran then? FSG must be gambling at our success so what would have happened if we didnā€™t finish third last season? And for long parts it really looked like we would miss out on CL. So would we be in debt now? Would we have had to sell a player then? If every penny we make is already accounted for and that includes securing CL football and even winning the damn thing, then our club isnā€™t being ran well and itā€™s actually in danger.

HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,030 posts | 1973 
      Reply #854: Jan 03, 2022 12:35:18 am
      Following on my from my last. When you lose gini who played more games for us than any other midfielder we had, and then ā€˜replacedā€™ him with a young lad who was already on our books and played this young lad out of position, thatā€™s so poor that. Itā€™s embarrassing and cringe reading people try and defend that and itā€™s why I stay away from here in general now.

A big club doesnā€™t act like that. Not one thatā€™s challenging on all fronts (and has been for several seasons now) like us.

Gini would have stayed with us if we offered a proper deal. We didnā€™t do that, presumably due to his age. Iā€™ve got no problem with that (as much as I liked Gini), but I then expect us to go out and bring a proper midfielder in to replace him and not hear sh*t like ā€˜we signed two replacements, thiago and elliottā€™, who were already bloody here.

Thiago was signed to unlock defences and to help keep possession, something we seriously lacked in midfield as the other ones are just work horses. Thiago and Gini are nothing alike whatsoever. And elliott was signed as a promising winger for fucks sake. Neither were Giniā€™s replacement so honestly, just stop embarrassing yourselves lads.

The Gini argument has been done enough now anyway. But itā€™s still a valid debate whether this squad was strong enough to compete for the title before the season started. In my opinion it wasnā€™t, and I was quite vocal about that, and now weā€™re 11 points behind the leaders and itā€™s only the first week of January.

You try and explain that on here and certain people bite back and say ā€˜weā€™re not cityā€™.  Nobody wants to be F***ing city but it still doesnā€™t mean we canā€™t bring in a couple of additions to help us.

Our first 11 is sorted. Itā€™s still the strongest in the league for me. But after that weā€™re struggling for anything decent and the drop off in quality becomes quite big and thatā€™s the difference between us and city.

Jota aside (Presuming Bobby is still part of the first 11), thereā€™s nobody else who can seriously challenge for a spot in that 11. As I said, the drop off in quality is too big.

Iā€™m not asking for two world class 11s all on 300k per week before anybody starts, but we definitely need more competition for places and rather than a world class 11, we need a world class 14 or 15 if weā€™re ever going to win the title again.
      scotscouse
      • Forum Neil Ruddock

• 154 posts | 40 
      Reply #855: Jan 03, 2022 12:51:12 am
      We have something money cant buy,our history ,our fantastic support ,sang their hearts out tonight,whilst all that chav mob have to sing about our ex captain ,and they have to be encourage by their coach to sing,pathetic support, like city no songs for all their success we are Liverpool YMWA.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,823 posts | 4920 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #856: Jan 03, 2022 01:08:24 am
      Henry doesnā€™t own the club on his own though and most of his worth is in the assets as opposed to the likes of Mansour where they have billions in the bank - is basically state sponsership. FSG wealth in terms of cash is minute compared to the states

And being honest the goal posts have always been the same - City have always spent , same with Chelsea before hand

Canā€™t really deal in IFs though

There is every chance we can win the CL this year - thats a trophy that City canā€™t buy but we can win again.

We are competitive right now and will be for the rest of the season and will be next season - we just need to stop stopping silly points when we were are ahead - itā€™s not the owners fault for the silly points dropped , for the mistakes made by the players

We will never be able to dine at the same table as City - thatā€™s a team that can afford to spend Ā£100mil and sit him on the bench , soend Ā£50mil on a CB - it doesnā€™t work just buy another , same with full backs.

Itā€™s not about coaching or scouting or managing

Itā€™s just buying and when it doesnā€™t work go out and buy again

The club is self sufficient - itā€™s not about how much FSG or Henry is worth, we live within our means so we need to increase the means

And what reallt needs to happen is stronger rules to allow it to become a sport again and not about which club is the richest

You can bamboozle all you want mate with your words and your figures, but in the cold light of day FSG simply arenā€™t doing enough to keep us being competitive, if they do continue their trend we will fall by the wayside and probably end up in competition for 4th place rather than the title, this is just the beginning, we are woefully short in quality and quantity, look at our bench today, this was a pivotal premier league fixture yet we struggled to have enough quality for us to exchange like for like, which is vital for fluidity and minimising the drop off in quality,
      Itā€™s f***in damn obvious to me that City now have this lead because their squad depth has better quality allowing them the luxury of resting players, giving them a huge advantage,

This kind of reminds me of Peter Moores time here where he just didnā€™t invest enough for us to complete with the MUtants, now good old Peter did the honourable thing and sold up, canā€™t see FSG doing anything of the sort, they must see that their philosophy is now flawed and itā€™s time to revamp with a shed load of spondoolies.
      Like I said FSG arenā€™t bad owners but their as tight as a mermaids punanni, that needs to change, pronto!!
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,030 posts | 1973 
      Reply #857: Jan 03, 2022 01:29:06 am

You can bamboozle all you want mate with your words and your figures, but in the cold light of day FSG simply arenā€™t doing enough to keep us being competitive, if they do continue their trend we will fall by the wayside and probably end up in competition for 4th place rather than the title, this is just the beginning, we are woefully short in quality and quantity, look at our bench today, this was a pivotal premier league fixture yet we struggled to have enough quality for us to exchange like for like, which is vital for fluidity and minimising the drop off in quality,
      Itā€™s f***in damn obvious to me that City now have this lead because their squad depth has better quality allowing them the luxury of resting players, giving them a huge advantage,

This kind of reminds me of Peter Moores time here where he just didnā€™t invest enough for us to complete with the MUtants, now good old Peter did the honourable thing and sold up, canā€™t see FSG doing anything of the sort, they must see that their philosophy is now flawed and itā€™s time to revamp with a shed load of spondoolies.
      Like I said FSG arenā€™t bad owners but their as tight as a mermaids punanni, that needs to change, pronto!!

Most of us know it already, but when time passes people will look back and truly realise just what a job JĆ¼rgen has done here. Honestly, itā€™s just remarkable. Heā€™s one in a billion. I canā€™t put into words how much I love and appreciate him.

Weā€™ve been spoilt watching this great team for the past few years and winning major honours along the way. But the sad thing is, we could have actually dominated with a little more backing from our owners.

Some people will argue that weā€™ve been competitive under FSG but theyā€™re wrong. Weā€™ve been competitive under klopp.

It will be a very sad day when JĆ¼rgen leaves us and already I fear a huge decline and we will be scrapping for 4th along with West Ham. When weā€™re finishing 5th, 6th, 7th in a few years from now I wonder what those same people will say then?

The best thing FSG have ever done for this club is sign JĆ¼rgen Klopp. But it could and should have been so much more.

Breeding-Reds-In-The-434
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,088 posts | 1046 
      Reply #858: Jan 03, 2022 01:31:46 am
      Arsenal won the cup not  a City Cup double, City won a domestic treble the season before. However I know exactly what you are saying.

Keep me straight wink 😉

Still...... win 🏆
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 11,660 posts | 3670 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #859: Jan 03, 2022 06:49:46 am
      For the second goal VVD should have moved closer to him or close him. Vvd was too elegant in Leicester's goal. He needs to improve.

Kelleher was brilliant, shame for the two goals.

We move on! Ynwa
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,583 posts | 6643 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #860: Jan 03, 2022 06:50:29 am
      Still gutted

2-0 up against those cu*ts and 1 stupid moment of dumbarseness, loses us all momentum.

I just can't understand why we take a lead like that and don't change tactics. Drop back put 10 behind the ball like everyone else does. Shut the F***ing shop up! We have the defenders to do it!!!

This high line sh*t is too nerve wracking!
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,481 posts | 3286 
      Reply #861: Jan 03, 2022 07:10:20 am
      Why do people keep saying thereā€™s no money. Weā€™re Liverpool? Of course thereā€™s money.

You only have to look at the other premierleague teams and even some championship teams to see money is there. How can a Southampton or a bournemouth possibly spend more than us?

The money we make from our sponsorships, the CL money and in recent years our prize money then there has to be money there. Letā€™s not forget the years and years of negative or very small net spends meaning the money builds too.

If Iā€™m wrong and there isnā€™t any money at all, then surely you have to accept and agree that the club is being extremely poorly ran then? FSG must be gambling at our success so what would have happened if we didnā€™t finish third last season? And for long parts it really looked like we would miss out on CL. So would we be in debt now? Would we have had to sell a player then? If every penny we make is already accounted for and that includes securing CL football and even winning the damn thing, then our club isnā€™t being ran well and itā€™s actually in danger.

I donā€™t think anyone has ever said ā€œthere is no moneyā€

The club spend money every year - think itā€™s around Ā£900mil in the past 10 years and Ā£550mil since Klopp arrived

The club spends all its money

Last accounts we made a loss of Ā£50mil

Throughout the years the clubs accounts are balanced as they should

The income is spent on the players and the staff

We have a very high wage bill which accounts for over Ā£325mil of the income ( just over 2/3rds of the income )

And I know people donā€™t like it but renewing contracts costs money as well ( agent and signing fees )

The last couple of years because of Covid will be having an inconsistent affect but providing football keeps going we will be one of the teams to come out the other side on extremely strong footing

The club is very well run , we have very small debt ( stadium built ) and is far from any danger

When it comes to finances we are on strong ground - even more so when the likes of the Nike deal start to come through 
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,481 posts | 3286 
      Reply #862: Jan 03, 2022 07:19:16 am

There is no bamboozling going on

You state we arenā€™t competitive

We have lost 2 games in 36 I believe it is

In the semi finals of the Lge cup

Unbeaten in the CL

In the top 3 of the Prem

You cannot judge by the bench from yesterday

We had

Allison , Matip , Thiago , Firmino , Robbo , Bobby , Taki , Origi and Elliot unavailable through Covid , Injury and suspension

Yet despite that went to the home of the European Champions - the team not so long ago everyone declared the winners and only dropped two points because of mistakes by players

3/4 weeks ago we were 1 point ahead of City - but through mistakes by players dropped points at West Ham , Spurs , Leicester and now Chelsea

That wasnā€™t because of the owners spending - that was the players making mistakes

We also dropped points when leading the likes of Brentford and Brighton as well as City

Each game where we have dropped points isnā€™t down to the owners spending

But every time we do drop points itā€™s the same old come out of the woodwork and blame investment and recruitment
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,481 posts | 3286 
      Reply #863: Jan 03, 2022 07:36:35 am
      Following on my from my last. When you lose gini who played more games for us than any other midfielder we had, and then ā€˜replacedā€™ him with a young lad who was already on our books and played this young lad out of position, thatā€™s so poor that. Itā€™s embarrassing and cringe reading people try and defend that and itā€™s why I stay away from here in general now.

A big club doesnā€™t act like that. Not one thatā€™s challenging on all fronts (and has been for several seasons now) like us.

Gini would have stayed with us if we offered a proper deal. We didnā€™t do that, presumably due to his age. Iā€™ve got no problem with that (as much as I liked Gini), but I then expect us to go out and bring a proper midfielder in to replace him and not hear sh*t like ā€˜we signed two replacements, thiago and elliottā€™, who were already bloody here.

Thiago was signed to unlock defences and to help keep possession, something we seriously lacked in midfield as the other ones are just work horses. Thiago and Gini are nothing alike whatsoever. And elliott was signed as a promising winger for fucks sake. Neither were Giniā€™s replacement so honestly, just stop embarrassing yourselves lads.

The Gini argument has been done enough now anyway. But itā€™s still a valid debate whether this squad was strong enough to compete for the title before the season started. In my opinion it wasnā€™t, and I was quite vocal about that, and now weā€™re 11 points behind the leaders and itā€™s only the first week of January.

You try and explain that on here and certain people bite back and say ā€˜weā€™re not cityā€™.  Nobody wants to be f**king city but it still doesnā€™t mean we canā€™t bring in a couple of additions to help us.

Our first 11 is sorted. Itā€™s still the strongest in the league for me. But after that weā€™re struggling for anything decent and the drop off in quality becomes quite big and thatā€™s the difference between us and city.

Jota aside (Presuming Bobby is still part of the first 11), thereā€™s nobody else who can seriously challenge for a spot in that 11. As I said, the drop off in quality is too big.

Iā€™m not asking for two world class 11s all on 300k per week before anybody starts, but we definitely need more competition for places and rather than a world class 11, we need a world class 14 or 15 if weā€™re ever going to win the title again.

Have you considered that what people are saying in regards Gini - Thiago and Elliot is exactly what the club have done and itā€™s what the manager is happy with

The club knew that Gini wasnā€™t going to extend his contract so got someone in before he left and Thiago was available- it doesnā€™t have to be like for like and actually allowed the manager to add something different to the middle

And it doesnā€™t matter what position Elliot played when we was signed as a kid - clearly the manager and coaches could see that he potentially has a future playing in a midfield 3 - and going by the evidence of the first few games it was working until his unfortunate injury

Donā€™t always have to go out and buy when there is talent coming through

Is it not possible that the club wanted to bring Elliot through as opposed to buying someone ? Can you not even see that ?

We arenā€™t 11 points behind because we didnā€™t replace Gini - we are 11 points behind because 4 times we have dropped points after leading
      Gill95
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,623 posts | 477 
      Reply #864: Jan 03, 2022 07:48:15 am
      Think we need a proper midfielder. Thiago seems to be injured more than what a title contending team should be aspiring for.  Proper control in the midfield and new striker, possibly a backup RB, I think we are set again for the league. Before then  sh*t like this will happen, especially against oil money. It's probably time to be a bit ruthless with some of the squad players such as Ox and Milner etc. Not good enough for what we are aspiring for.
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,481 posts | 3286 
      Reply #865: Jan 03, 2022 08:04:11 am
      On a more positive note - how good was Kelleher, some outstanding saves but also did the simple stuff with no fuss , was impressive with balls coming into the box and under pressure - future number 1
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,466 posts | 4816 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #866: Jan 03, 2022 08:19:52 am

I donā€™t think anyone has ever said ā€œthere is no moneyā€

The club spend money every year - think itā€™s around Ā£900mil in the past 10 years and Ā£550mil since Klopp arrived

The club spends all its money

Last accounts we made a loss of Ā£50mil

Throughout the years the clubs accounts are balanced as they should

The income is spent on the players and the staff

We have a very high wage bill which accounts for over Ā£325mil of the income ( just over 2/3rds of the income )

And I know people donā€™t like it but renewing contracts costs money as well ( agent and signing fees )

The last couple of years because of Covid will be having an inconsistent affect but providing football keeps going we will be one of the teams to come out the other side on extremely strong footing

The club is very well run , we have very small debt ( stadium built ) and is far from any danger

When it comes to finances we are on strong ground - even more so when the likes of the Nike deal start to come through 

Honestly, the cringe levels are through the roof.
      « Last Edit: Jan 03, 2022 08:27:45 am by what-a-hit-son »
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,481 posts | 3286 
      Reply #867: Jan 03, 2022 08:28:38 am

Itā€™s just facts 🤷ā€ā™‚ļø Not sure whatā€™s ā€œcringeā€ about them
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,823 posts | 4920 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #868: Jan 03, 2022 09:44:32 am

There is no bamboozling going on

You state we arenā€™t competitive

We have lost 2 games in 36 I believe it is

In the semi finals of the Lge cup

Unbeaten in the CL

In the top 3 of the Prem

You cannot judge by the bench from yesterday

We had

Allison , Matip , Thiago , Firmino , Robbo , Bobby , Taki , Origi and Elliot unavailable through Covid , Injury and suspension

Yet despite that went to the home of the European Champions - the team not so long ago everyone declared the winners and only dropped two points because of mistakes by players

3/4 weeks ago we were 1 point ahead of City - but through mistakes by players dropped points at West Ham , Spurs , Leicester and now Chelsea

That wasnā€™t because of the owners spending - that was the players making mistakes

We also dropped points when leading the likes of Brentford and Brighton as well as City

Each game where we have dropped points isnā€™t down to the owners spending

But every time we do drop points itā€™s the same old come out of the woodwork and blame investment and recruitment

With our current status we should be in semi finals, we should be in the top three, if not the top one, we should be in the knockout stages of the CL, we are, we can all see that but we can also see that we are lagging behind in terms of investment in the team pitchside,
      How you fail to see that is beyond me, I commend you in your defence of our owners, as Iā€™ve said before they arenā€™t bad owners to have at all, however if they want to remain competitive with the likes of City Chavs et al they really do need to start digging deep,

We were missing a few yesterday granted but three of them are 30+ and will need replacing fairly soon probably within the next season or two, if they can hold out injury wise, you can then add Hendo, Milner, AOC, Fabinho to that list of replacements and probably Mane & Mo a further season after, where do you envisage us being in a season or two if there isnā€™t a huge injection of funds within the next two to three summer windows ?

Weā€™re already struggling to hang on to Cityā€™s coat tails as it is, probably Chelseaā€™s too because they wonā€™t stop or hinder further player investment, and then we have Newcastle on the horizon too, how long will it be before we are fighting for a top 4 finish rather than being in the top two ?

It is a cold hard fact that to compete with those who have a much bigger wallet than you you need to use every single resource there is available, and right now, at this precise time we have the best manager on the planet bar none, he is our best resource, arguably the best weā€™ll ever have, saying things like JĆ¼rgen is happy to string along on a shoestring budget is simply not good enough, not anymore it isnā€™t, he wonā€™t of course but Iā€™d be approaching our owners now and demanding a huge injection of funds not only this summer but also the next two, itā€™s a working progress and it should always be a working progress, FSG to keep up with the Jonesā€™s of this world, in their case the Mansourā€™s , Abramovichā€™s and soon the barcode Sheiks, will need to change their financial philosophy or ship out and sell to others who will.

Y  N  W  A
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #869: Jan 03, 2022 10:36:41 am

FSG seem to have spin Doctors everywhere.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #870: Jan 03, 2022 10:37:42 am
      Itā€™s just facts 🤷ā€ā™‚ļø Not sure whatā€™s ā€œcringeā€ about them

its called spin and you are FSG's spin Doctor on this forum
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #871: Jan 03, 2022 10:56:59 am
      Ah lads have a day off from the fsg stuff and look at the facts, we have dropped at least 8 points this season from winning positions.

Had we not we would be 3 points off city with a game in handand im fairly certain each time we had close enough our best team out

Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,481 posts | 3286 
      Reply #872: Jan 03, 2022 11:00:56 am
      its called spin and you are FSG's spin Doctor on this forum

Take a day off
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,670 posts | 2657 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton