Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Your favourite FA cup memories

Read 5106 times
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Your favourite FA cup memories
      Jan 07, 2022 09:13:43 am
      FA cup weekend is upon us..I know its not what it used to be but the memories it has of years gone by are special. And I would love us to win it, Im not ashamed to say.

What are your favourite FA cup memories? Be it winning it, a certain goal, a certain moment anything at all.

Ill assume nobody on here was around for our first final in 1914 😉. Maybe we have 1 or 2 who remember the next day out in 1950?  Certainly should be a few who recall the first win in 65?? But as I say doesnt have to be the winning it could be any moment from any game we played
      Norfolk Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,154 posts | 499 
      Re: Your favourite FA cup memories
      Reply #1: Jan 07, 2022 09:25:25 am
      1974 Final.  I was lucky enough to get a ticket for this.
      £1-00 my how times have changed ! I was told by the person who was getting me the ticket that the only thing he could not guarantee was which end it would be in so armed with my ticket and LFC scarf around my waste under my jacket off I set.
      Long story short it was a ticket for the Red end of Wembley so happy days.
      I remember Alex Lindsey scoring a screamer which was ruled out for offside.
      Anyhow we beat the barcodes 3-0 so great day out.
      2 things I remember well, the week preceding the final all I read about was what Malcolm Mcdonald was going to do to us ;D, and it turned out to be Shanks last game as our manager.
      Got home very hoarse but happy, my how football has changed.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      Reply #2: Jan 07, 2022 09:26:53 am
      1974 Final.  I was lucky enough to get a ticket for this.
      £1-00 my how times have changed ! I was told by the person who was getting me the ticket that the only thing he could not guarantee was which end it would be in so armed with my ticket and LFC scarf around my waste under my jacket off I set.
      Long story short it was a ticket for the Red end of Wembley so happy days.
      I remember Alex Lindsey scoring a screamer which was ruled out for offside.
      Anyhow we beat the barcodes 3-0 so great day out.
      2 things I remember well, the week preceding the final all I read about was what Malcolm Mcdonald was going to do to us ;D, and it turned out to be Shanks last game as our manager.
      Got home very hoarse but happy, my how football has changed.

A lucky man Norfolk, or boy at the time. Thanks for sharing

Actually whats the bigger memory being at and winning the FA cup, or the fact it turned out to be Shanks last game?
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,447 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #3: Jan 07, 2022 10:02:10 am
      Never been to an FA cup game.

But watched loads of LFC games on Tele since the 70s.

So many good goals and brilliant wins, the everton games in the 80s stick out, but Stevie G's screamer in 2006 was class.
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,232 posts | 751 
      Reply #4: Jan 07, 2022 10:15:47 am
      Like the above poster never been to an FA cup game, although the game that sticks out is way back in 1965, when I watched Liverpool beat Leeds 2  1 on our old black & white television, ever since that day I have been a Reds fan !
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      Reply #5: Jan 07, 2022 10:20:47 am
      Dont have to have been at a game just yoyr memories, sitting on the couch watching the build up on grandstand counts 👍
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      Reply #6: Jan 07, 2022 10:21:37 am
      Like the above poster never been to an FA cup game, although the game that sticks out is way back in 1965, when I watched Liverpool beat Leeds 2  1 on our old black & white television, ever since that day I have been a Reds fan !

Class David, lucky to have seen us win the first one
      ORCHARD RED
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #7: Jan 07, 2022 10:39:51 am
      Michael Owen's goal in the final against Arsenal had me jumping round the room like a mad man. Complete smash and grab.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #8: Jan 07, 2022 10:59:14 am
      A Barnes diving header against QPR in a replay at Anfield after drawing at Loftus Road.

Also remember a certain German striker ending our cup run with a good goal in 95 then being applauded off at full time by the Kop.

Bolton and Bristol city defeats in consecutive seasons are probably our lowest points.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,662 posts | 2656 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #9: Jan 07, 2022 10:59:17 am
      Would have to be in 1996  :f_whistle:
      We beat you lot!! With a Cantona special  ;D

Ps… You did ask Brian  :D
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #10: Jan 07, 2022 11:03:37 am
      Would have to be in 1996  :f_whistle:
      We beat you lot!! With a Cantona special  ;D

Ps… You did ask Brian  :D

Your lot being terrored outside the train station tunnel entrance then the whole aggressive atmosphere created outside replaced by pricks in green ket wigs inside. Them along with jester hats needed F***ing burning.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      Reply #11: Jan 07, 2022 11:05:52 am
      A Barnes diving header against QPR in a replay at Anfield after drawing at Loftus Road.

Also remember a certain German striker ending our cup run with a good goal in 95 then being applauded off at full time by the Kop.

Bolton and Bristol city defeats in consecutive seasons are probably our lowest points.

Will never forget that Bristol city defeat, just how? Even now it bothers me. That team done my nut in

How was ruddock a pro footballer? Slow as fook
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,662 posts | 2656 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #12: Jan 07, 2022 11:08:48 am
      Your lot being terrored outside the train station tunnel entrance then the whole aggressive atmosphere created outside replaced by pricks in green ket wigs inside. Them along with jester hats needed f**king burning.

Sounds like you were there mate  ;D
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #13: Jan 07, 2022 11:11:41 am

Nope, but my brother and dad were.

Couldn't get hold of a final ticket.
      Tadders

• 6,613 posts | 558 
      Reply #14: Jan 07, 2022 11:59:04 am
      Went to Wimbledon 1988 - what a joke, they had about 15 fans there. Didn't think we would have a better team that 87-89 but Klopp did it.

Went to Everton final 1989 incredible day. Knew we would win, but what a game.

An Away game at Villa park 4th round with Barnes\Beardsley in a 2-0 was fantastic, we had half the ground, noise was unbelievable

The old semi-finals at neutral grounds were amazing. Southampton at Spurs in 1986 was amazing.

Didn't go to Goodison for the 2-2 with Utd but that was supposed to be one of the best atmosphere's ever.
      rossyred

• 9,090 posts | 1631 
      Reply #15: Jan 07, 2022 12:00:22 pm
      Stevies goal against West Ham in the final . Just a wow moment that will never be forgot
      Norfolk Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,154 posts | 499 
      Reply #16: Jan 07, 2022 12:06:22 pm
      A lucky man Norfolk, or boy at the time. Thanks for sharing

Actually whats the bigger memory being at and winning the FA cup, or the fact it turned out to be Shanks last game?

Both, but if pressed Shanks last game glad I was part of that. What a manager and he laid the foundation bricks for this great club.
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,208 posts | 1503 
      Reply #17: Jan 07, 2022 12:52:44 pm
      74 final for me. I'd had £20 worth of bets with work mates as bar codes were big favourites due to Malcolm Macdonald (super mac) gonna run riot.
      On the Friday night I was in bed with a bird going till the early hours, when she rolled over, put her arm across my chest and said " What are you thinking about luv" and I replied with  " the F A Cup final tomorrow"   End of romance....  She stormed off downstairs and made a cup of tea. I didn't get one.

Do remember the match though. Macdonald had two shots, One in row z, the other went for a throw in. We totally smashed em. Still cant see what that Alec Lindsay goal was disallowed for. 
      That £20. at the time half a weeks wages.
      Redman7804
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 570 posts | 267 
      Reply #18: Jan 07, 2022 03:08:35 pm
      Loads in this competition to be honest

Jan molby’s ball in the 1986 final

Rush and Barnes celebration after Rush’s goal in ‘89 always makes me smile

Micheal Thomas’s goal in the ‘92 final

Owen’s final

Stevies final

Virgil’s debut goal against the blueshite

Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      Reply #19: Jan 07, 2022 03:24:18 pm
      One of those things always stuck with me

The 86 final, Rushies 3rd hitting the camera in the corner of the goal, and motsons commentary " Whelan....and dalg....and rush is on the far side, is this 3? It is " Embedded in my head
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      Reply #20: Jan 07, 2022 03:25:28 pm

Jan molby’s ball in the 1986 final

All 3 passes mate, sublime, the meg on stevens for the first ouch
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #21: Jan 07, 2022 03:30:18 pm
      Will never forget that Bristol city defeat, just how? Even now it bothers me. That team done my nut in

How was ruddock a pro footballer? Slow as fook

was he I thought he was  pretty quick sprinting away from his smashed car on the Formby by pass.
      I was at the Tunnel end by the Corner flag in 96 worst day ever and then about a 3 mile walk back to the Car its a long way home from the North Circular road after a defeat
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      Reply #22: Jan 07, 2022 03:32:54 pm
      was he I thought he was  pretty quick sprinting away from his smashed car on the Formby by pass.
      I was at the Tunnel end by the Corner flag in 96 worst day ever and then about a 3 mile walk back to the Car its a long way home from the North Circular road after a defeat

Always find that extra pace  when its needed dont ye 😉.....some clown that lad

Quick Reply