Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Your favourite FA cup memories

Read 5105 times
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Re: Your favourite FA cup memories
      Reply #23: Jan 07, 2022 03:34:00 pm
      Stevie Heighway from the wing scoring the goal in 71 against Bob Wilson. Ian Rush hitting that Camera against the blue sh*te but Stevie G's goal was just incredible in 2006 .
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #24: Jan 07, 2022 03:37:37 pm
      Stevie Heighway from the wing scoring the goal in 71 against Bob Wilson. Ian Rush hitting that Camera against the blue sh*te but Stevie G's goal was just incredible in 2006 .

Watched the 06 final in a local pub I would not usually go near, not exactly the most welcoming type of pub, few not so nice people use it....Stevies goals had us climbing each others backs, hugging dancing, all the usual...
      bit surreal actually.....what a player
      andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,318 posts | 1611 
      Reply #25: Jan 07, 2022 03:45:10 pm
      The 77 final going for the treble , all my mates in school were Manc fans , That one defeat led us into our greatest era , remember being so deflated , and then bang four days later on that glorious night no 1 came in , they were pretty quiet about the fa cup after that ,
      Thought the owen final we had no right to win as the gunners were on us that day , oh and that goal by Stevie was just something to make a grown man cry ,
      There’s something about the cup that still makes me wanting our club to win it .
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #26: Jan 07, 2022 05:29:04 pm
      Didn't go to Goodison for the 2-2 with Utd but that was supposed to be one of the best atmosphere's ever.

Swap best for most violent and intimidating and you'd be closer to the mark.
      UncleBob
      • Spotify Bob
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,135 posts | 567 
      Reply #27: Jan 07, 2022 07:40:09 pm
      The Everton 4 Liverpool 4 ?

But one memory for me is the 92 (I think) semi final when Ronnie whelan scores in the last few minutes (I could be wrong on all that account-my memory is terrible!)
      Redman7804
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 570 posts | 267 
      Reply #28: Jan 07, 2022 07:47:04 pm
      The Everton 4 Liverpool 4 ?

But one memory for me is the 92 (I think) semi final when Ronnie whelan scores in the last few minutes (I could be wrong on all that account-my memory is terrible!)

Whelan scored in the semi against Portsmouth in 92, drew 1-1 and it went to a replay… Anderton scored for them.. both in extra time

Win on pens in the replay

Hated that 4-4 with the blues, not only was it a rollercoaster for a 10 year old me, but Kenny left 🥲
      Klopps Snood
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,631 posts | 1558 
      • CHAMPI9NS
      Reply #29: Jan 07, 2022 09:17:54 pm
      74 final for me. I'd had £20 worth of bets with work mates as bar codes were big favourites due to Malcolm Macdonald (super mac) gonna run riot.
      On the Friday night I was in bed with a bird going till the early hours, when she rolled over, put her arm across my chest and said " What are you thinking about luv" and I replied with  " the F A Cup final tomorrow"   End of romance....  She stormed off downstairs and made a cup of tea. I didn't get one.

Do remember the match though. Macdonald had two shots, One in row z, the other went for a throw in. We totally smashed em. Still cant see what that Alec Lindsay goal was disallowed for. 
      That £20. at the time half a weeks wages.

Thanks Gerns for giving me a good laugh at this  :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:
      « Last Edit: Jan 07, 2022 09:45:07 pm by Klopps Snood »
      Klopps Snood
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,631 posts | 1558 
      • CHAMPI9NS
      Reply #30: Jan 07, 2022 09:44:37 pm
      The first final I ever remember was against Arsenal in 1971 were we lost 2-1 and I remember that horrible Charlie George after he scored lying on the Wembley pitch with his arms aloft, I sobbed my heart out, I was only a very young girl and I was so excited about the game as the FA Cup was such a big event in those days, I was left gutted.

Didn't have to wait too long for the next one when in 1974 we battered Newcastle 3-0, as other posters have said this was a great final..

1977 was next, we'd drawn 0-0 at Anfield on the last day of the season to win the league, next stop Wembley to take on the mancs  :( all I remember is Jimmy Case hitting a screamer, I was distraught but prepared for Rome 4 days later and was rewarded with the best feeling in the world to be there to see us lift our first European Cup.

Another cup memory was we played Arsenal 4 times? in the early 80's, I went to all 4 games and we finally lost, I was gutted.

Great memories of the first 'Merseyside' cup final in 1986 when we played Everton, all very friendly in those days, I was in the Blue end, I'd got my ticket from Brian Clough of
       all people, great day out as all the fans sang 'Merseyside Mersyside'

2001 was a great final and 2006 was even better Gerrrrrrrrrrrrrard, what a king he was in that final.

The FA Cup is a wonderful old trophy, unfortunately the money isn't there any more, but I love the fact that little teams can survive for a whole season on gate receipts.

Long long time since we won this, would seriously love us to have a really good cup run.
      « Last Edit: Jan 07, 2022 09:50:41 pm by Klopps Snood »
      Redman7804
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 570 posts | 267 
      Reply #31: Jan 07, 2022 10:21:08 pm
      The first final I ever remember was against Arsenal in 1971 were we lost 2-1 and I remember that horrible Charlie George after he scored lying on the Wembley pitch with his arms aloft, I sobbed my heart out, I was only a very young girl and I was so excited about the game as the FA Cup was such a big event in those days, I was left gutted.

Didn't have to wait too long for the next one when in 1974 we battered Newcastle 3-0, as other posters have said this was a great final..

1977 was next, we'd drawn 0-0 at Anfield on the last day of the season to win the league, next stop Wembley to take on the mancs  :( all I remember is Jimmy Case hitting a screamer, I was distraught but prepared for Rome 4 days later and was rewarded with the best feeling in the world to be there to see us lift our first European Cup.

Another cup memory was we played Arsenal 4 times? in the early 80's, I went to all 4 games and we finally lost, I was gutted.

Great memories of the first 'Merseyside' cup final in 1986 when we played Everton, all very friendly in those days, I was in the Blue end, I'd got my ticket from Brian Clough of
       all people, great day out as all the fans sang 'Merseyside Mersyside'

2001 was a great final and 2006 was even better Gerrrrrrrrrrrrrard, what a king he was in that final.

The FA Cup is a wonderful old trophy, unfortunately the money isn't there any more, but I love the fact that little teams can survive for a whole season on gate receipts.

Long long time since we won this, would seriously love us to have a really good cup run.

How did you end up with a ticket from Clough? Genuinely interested in that story
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,833 posts | 701 
      Reply #32: Jan 07, 2022 10:55:35 pm
      Quote from Brian78
      Will never forget that Bristol city defeat, just how? Even now it bothers me. That team done my nut in

The first game was away. We scored early but  it was 1-1 at half time. Early in the second half, the lights failed and the game was abandoned. So we had to go back there to play again, and it was another draw. So the replay was at home. Again we couldn't beat them, so it went to another replay at home. Finally the tie was decided and Souness resigned 3 days later.

When we played the semis at Hillsborough, the cup was a major competition and taken very seriously by everyone, from when the cup run began until it ended. We got to the semi finals every year bar two between 85 - 92, and won it three times. Even when we won it in 2001, it was a big one to win. After that, it's decline began, though it's hard to say exactly why that was. Society probably changed, and the sport moved onto bigger, more lucrative prizes, while the FA Cup stood still, with very little change in it's structure since. The third round used to be one of the biggest days in the calendar, now it's an excuse for the big clubs to rotate the squad and the minnows to have a day out. The semi finals at Wembley used to be a novelty, now it's automatic. The old Wembley was different to every other stadium in the country, with years of memories fondly remembered. The new Wembley is soulless, and looks like any other new big stadium. There's probably other reasons as well, but there's 3 to mention.

We have never played them since but if we lost to Bristol City at home today at the fourth attempt, Souness would not have to resign. It's still a great competition when you win it, although we haven't won it very often since 2001.
      Klopps Snood
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,631 posts | 1558 
      • CHAMPI9NS
      Reply #33: Jan 07, 2022 11:13:26 pm
      How did you end up with a ticket from Clough? Genuinely interested in that story

I was a member of the Derby branch of the Liverpool supporters club at the time, the fella who ran it was big mates with Cloughie, I'm not sure how many tickets we got, maybe  only 2 or 3 but apparently Eddie had told Mr Clough all about me and he said, make sure she gets one, I never really liked him but was made up to get ticket.
      rossyred
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,090 posts | 1631 
      Reply #34: Jan 07, 2022 11:19:57 pm
      The first game was away. We scored early but  it was 1-1 at half time. Early in the second half, the lights failed and the game was abandoned. So we had to go back there to play again, and it was another draw. So the replay was at home. Again we couldn't beat them, so it went to another replay at home. Finally the tie was decided and Souness resigned 3 days later.

When we played the semis at Hillsborough, the cup was a major competition and taken very seriously by everyone, from when the cup run began until it ended. We got to the semi finals every year bar two between 85 - 92, and won it three times. Even when we won it in 2001, it was a big one to win. After that, it's decline began, though it's hard to say exactly why that was. Society probably changed, and the sport moved onto bigger, more lucrative prizes, while the FA Cup stood still, with very little change in it's structure since. The third round used to be one of the biggest days in the calendar, now it's an excuse for the big clubs to rotate the squad and the minnows to have a day out. The semi finals at Wembley used to be a novelty, now it's automatic. The old Wembley was different to every other stadium in the country, with years of memories fondly remembered. The new Wembley is soulless, and looks like any other new big stadium. There's probably other reasons as well, but there's 3 to mention.

We have never played them since but if we lost to Bristol City at home today at the fourth attempt, Souness would not have to resign. It's still a great competition when you win it, although we haven't won it very often since 2001.

Brian Tinnion if I remember right
      paulow63
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 648 posts | 83 
      Reply #35: Jan 08, 2022 01:52:20 am
      My first FA Cup Final 1970, Chelsea v Leeds,  just unbelievable. If it was played today it would have taken about five hours to complete because of all the VAR decisions. And it may have finished 8 men v 7. That said we wouldn't have known that then.
      redclocker
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 42 posts |
      Reply #36: Jan 08, 2022 10:34:48 am
      being on the first train back in to Lime Street in 1965 after winning it for the first time and loads of us walking out though the station into Lime Street singing " HP Baked Beans there the ones for me" - bizarre and surreal  ???.
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,030 posts | 1973 
      Reply #37: Jan 08, 2022 12:12:56 pm
      Mine will always be 2001.

Just a young lad who went to Cardiff with his dad. It was a baking hot day and we were playing the best team in the country. Lots of nerves but excitement around the stadium. A really good cup final atmosphere, saw lots of reds and arsenal fans sharing a beer and getting along well. 

I had my gold kit on which we were wearing that day. I loved that kit so I was made up we were in that, even though many others were disappointed we weren’t in red.

We got battered for 85 minutes and arsenal should have been 5-0 up. How we were still in the game I don’t know.

The equaliser was just sheer relief thinking we had somehow made it to extra time but then Owens second straight after, our end just went nuts knowing we had won it.

The first and only time I cried at a football match. Uncontrollable tears flowing down my cheeks. It was surreal. I was about 12 at the time but there was a little lad infront of me who was younger, probably around 7, and he saw me in tears and tapped me and said ‘it’s ok, we’re winning now’ 😂.

One of my favourite ever LFC memories that’ll stay with me forever. It was even more special that I got to share it with my dad and it was obviously a big part of a great/memorable season for us.

Just a shame michael owen turned out to be a massive tw*t. If it was Fowler who had got those two goals it would have been even better!
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #38: Jan 08, 2022 01:42:40 pm
      Mine will always be 2001.

Just a young lad who went to Cardiff with his dad. It was a baking hot day and we were playing the best team in the country. Lots of nerves but excitement around the stadium. A really good cup final atmosphere, saw lots of reds and arsenal fans sharing a beer and getting along well. 

I had my gold kit on which we were wearing that day. I loved that kit so I was made up we were in that, even though many others were disappointed we weren’t in red.

We got battered for 85 minutes and arsenal should have been 5-0 up. How we were still in the game I don’t know.

The equaliser was just sheer relief thinking we had somehow made it to extra time but then Owens second straight after, our end just went nuts knowing we had won it.

The first and only time I cried at a football match. Uncontrollable tears flowing down my cheeks. It was surreal. I was about 12 at the time but there was a little lad infront of me who was younger, probably around 7, and he saw me in tears and tapped me and said ‘it’s ok, we’re winning now’ 😂.

One of my favourite ever LFC memories that’ll stay with me forever. It was even more special that I got to share it with my dad and it was obviously a big part of a great/memorable season for us.

Just a shame michael owen turned out to be a massive tw*t. If it was Fowler who had got those two goals it would have been even better!

any final when you win is memorable it is a fans day out I almost think of it as a reward for continued support week in week out shame the top clubs only see the financial aspects of the Competition because you never forget your day at Wembley or Cardiff as it was for a while
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #39: Jan 08, 2022 03:16:10 pm

All of that and you missed out on Fowler's leg break and the incredulous decision by Boersma to tell Fowler to run it off.
      Wembley the old ground was a F***ing shithole overflowing with piss. Cardiff is ten times better than Wembley.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #40: Jan 08, 2022 03:17:51 pm
      My first FA Cup Final 1970, Chelsea v Leeds,  just unbelievable. If it was played today it would have taken about five hours to complete because of all the VAR decisions. And it may have finished 8 men v 7. That said we wouldn't have known that then.

Recognised as the most violent English game.

Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #41: Jan 08, 2022 04:08:58 pm
      01 was great, in the fact we won and the fashion we won it.

But if I was to rank all our cup wins this would score very low. The reason for that being we were battered for the most part. Id never seen us outplayed for that long in any final, before or since.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #42: Jan 08, 2022 04:26:53 pm
      sh*t hole or not the first time you see Wembley you cant help but reflect on the History that was made there and how small it seemed.
      It did have an atmosphere and to see the goal were we won the FA Cup in 65 or the European Cup in 78 or where Sir Roger played in the World Cup Final was special. No idea what the New Wembley is like .
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #43: Jan 08, 2022 08:22:36 pm
      sh*t hole or not the first time you see Wembley you cant help but reflect on the History that was made there and how small it seemed.
      It did have an atmosphere and to see the goal were we won the FA Cup in 65 or the European Cup in 78 or where Sir Roger played in the World Cup Final was special. No idea what the New Wembley is like .

Honest impression in 89 when I first went was it was near a retail park and was a shithole. Honestly didn't get what the big fuss was about.
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,232 posts | 751 
      Reply #44: Jan 09, 2022 10:18:11 am
      I feel that I was fortunate enough to start following football, that being the 1965 Cup final between Liverpool and Leeds, where players played for the love of the game rather than the financial rewards.

I think this is a great topic to discuss bringing back for fans, great cup games they have seen in the distant past.
      PTU
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,079 posts | 630 
      Reply #45: Jan 09, 2022 11:44:36 am
      The obvious one for me would be Gerrard in '06, but I want to say this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uAKvtlRl2Dg

Not just for the exquisite goal from Jones, but beating Everton's first 11 at Goodison with a makeshift team was so, so satisfying.
      Our team that day: Adrián, N. Williams, Phillips, Gomez, Milner, Lallana, Chirivella, Jones, Elliott, Minamino, Origi (+ Larouci, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Brewster).

Quick Reply