Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v Arsenal?

Alisson Becker
      13 (23.2%)
      Trent Alexander-Arnold
      0 (0%)
      Joel Matip
      25 (44.6%)
      Virgil van Dijk
      1 (1.8%)
      Andy Robertson
      3 (5.4%)
       Fabinho
      0 (0%)
      Jordan Henderson
      0 (0%)
      James Milner
      0 (0%)
      Diogo Jota
      0 (0%)
      Takumi Minamino
      1 (1.8%)
      Roberto Firmino
      0 (0%)
      Joe Gomez
      0 (0%)
      Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain
      0 (0%)
      Curtis Jones
      8 (14.3%)
      Neco Williams
      5 (8.9%)

Total Members Voted: 56

Voting closed: Jan 17, 2022 09:39:54 pm

Liverpool 0-0 Arsenal: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 16210 times
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Re: Liverpool 0-0 Arsenal: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #506: Jan 13, 2022 10:37:15 pm
      Right, so now we know that when the opposing team go down to 10 men we may as well just go home.

That was awful. Tempo was decent in that we were going for it... yet bizarrely we managed to slow it down in the final third by making sloppy passes or attempted forward balls. The amount of times we gave it away was unbelievable. Trent stood out to me as being an utter failure tonight. No surprise he was replaced, and Williams was able to attack down the wing.

Arsenal were narrow, yet we ignored our flanks. Yet again we relied on Matip as our creative and attacking player  :f_doh:

Totally dominated. Never looked like conceding, yet never looked like scoring. That was a training match nothing more.. but a massively wasted opportunity.

All joking aside, Inter milan will see that and possibily look at setting up that way..What will we do then

I see Jürgen saying Brentford will likely play 5 at the back the weekend, so will he have a plan or fo we hope one of hendos sh*te shots actually work and goes in
      DanMann
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,635 posts | 866 
      Reply #507: Jan 13, 2022 10:37:33 pm
      We came closer to conceding than we did scoring, luckily Alisson bailed us out on the Saka chance.

His touch in that moment was as bad as our chances too  ;D
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      Reply #508: Jan 13, 2022 10:37:48 pm
      We came closer to conceding than we did scoring, luckily Alisson bailed us out on the Saka chance.

Fair point well made
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #509: Jan 13, 2022 10:43:01 pm
      Just a small point.

Jota has to start either through the middle or on the left.

Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      Reply #510: Jan 13, 2022 10:44:41 pm
      Just a small point.

Jota has to start either through the middle or on the left.

For the next 2 games through the middle, with Kaide and drop Bobby deeper to beva creative spark
      In One
      • Forum Erik Meijer

• 32 posts |
      • I’m an arl arse
      Reply #511: Jan 13, 2022 10:46:02 pm
      Do yeh know what I don’t like criticising the lads at all but my god they've needed it lately to many lack lustre performances and players not putting in a shift , At least if they would of give it a go tonight and got stuck in on them created something I would of been sound with the 0-0 but there was nothing 0 shots on target, Your playing at home with the crowd behind yeh and you can’t even produce a shot on target .Worrying . An don’t get me started on the other lot our absent no good American owners
      CT_LFC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,782 posts | 1395 
      Reply #512: Jan 13, 2022 10:50:54 pm
      This time of the season seems to be a problem for us nearly every year. It's obvious Jürgen doesn't like the mid-winter schedule, and he may have a point, but I don't think him going on about it all the time is helping. Well it definitely isn't helping. He needs to accept this is the way it is in English football and just get on with it.

Agree. He’s made his point clear in the past and bringing it up every year doesn’t help.

He’s also very stubborn and reluctant to change things up. Breaking down busses has been our issue since he got here and while we have gotten better he’s still unwilling to rock the boat and instead stays to his lineup and formation too long.

We rarely deviate from 4-3-3 and at times we could use giving teams a different look and be less predictable.

Starting Milner today was bad enough but why wait til the 60th minute for a change? In a game where you’re controlling the ball for >85% of the game, you need to be creative and Milly certainly isn’t going to help you there.
      Isaac!
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,572 posts | 325 
      Reply #513: Jan 13, 2022 10:55:35 pm

No idea why our reaction to them going a man down was to sing "F**k the Tories", especially considering Arsenal come from a North London Labour stronghold where none other than Jeremy Corbyn is the MP 🙃
      r

My feeling is that it's not about them but it's about us. Ninety per cent of all oppo fans are gonna be working class, even in this rip off age. I love the chant and hope we sing it at Barnsley as we do in Chelsea. The timing of the chant was probably due to us getting fu**ed over - just as we do in life - and nothing to do with Arsenal.
      red trooper
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,834 posts | 67 
      • and don't be afraid of the dark
      Reply #514: Jan 13, 2022 10:58:39 pm
      Hendo having a rough patch at the moment , couldn't hit a cow's arse with a banjo at the moment and a little slow ,Midfield needs strengthening  if we can afford to ,Morton's time will come soon I'm sure and I would like him alongside Thiago and Fabinho at some point to learn from the best
      TameImpala
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,269 posts | 1216 
      • He's five foot seven, he's football heaven
      Reply #515: Jan 13, 2022 11:01:52 pm
      My feeling is that it's not about them but it's about us. Ninety per cent of all oppo fans are gonna be working class, even in this rip off age. I love the chant and hope we sing it at Barnsley as we do in Chelsea. The timing of the chant was probably due to us getting fu**ed over - just as we do in life - and nothing to do with Arsenal.

Time and a place though. No probs with it being sang when the opposition are reciting the usual Tory songbook of sign on, feed the scousers etc, but when they've just got a man sent off you need to be galvanising the team
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,821 posts | 4920 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #516: Jan 13, 2022 11:01:59 pm
      Amazing how we just turn to sh*t when we’re knocked off kilter, we don’t know any other way aside from our usual high press, so when components of that press are missing we struggle to find another way of playing, it has happened too often and too long now for it to be a simple coincidence, it isn’t, the fact is we are too one dimensional, in short  we only know one way of playing?

That’s all well and good when you have the squad that backs that way of playing, but we don’t, so either we bring in the quality  that will allow us to do just that, or we find a alternative way of playing when the chips are down, I don’t  see us changing much under Jürgen whilst he has the current batch at his disposal, but he may not have a choice in say two to three seasons time when those who will need replacing are NOT replaced,

Hate to say it but are we now witnessing the beginnings of the end of this team, i know I keep harping on about it but we really are a ageing side although there many who refuse to either admit it or fail to see it, I don’t take any pleasure whatsoever saying or thinking this but it does remain a fact, 

However, we are far from done, we’re simply casualties  of circumstance which could not have happened at a worse time, the last few weeks have been a right kick up the rectum, covid fu**ed us in the league, the Leeds game in particular handing that Eastlands mob a huge advantage, were only three behind at one point then suddenly within a week we were 9 behind and now 11, what the F**k happened?

Tonight was at best frustrating, we could have played another 95 mins  still wouldn’t have scored, I’m kinda hoping this wasn’t a trial run for league games playing Jota out wide because if it is we’re fu**ed, he’s more a striker than a winger so play him up top , give him a foil, someone he can feed off of, I’d prefer Divock but since he’s crocked I’d probably go with Taki, I can hear you all sucking your breath in, but hear me out, so two up top preferably Jota & Div, with Bobby in behind flanked with Curtis & Alex, Fabinho as DM in front of the rock steady crew in Allison, Robbo, Matip, Trent,….Re- this is a temporary measure and designed simply to try something else, we’ve all seen again tonight how we need more energy in midfield, Hendo looks spent for me, Jimmy’s bones are creaking and are more akin to the last 20 of games not the first 65, we’re obviously missing Thiago, and wee Harvey too, and of course Naby lad, Mo & Mane,

We are light in midfield granted, but I prefer to give the opponents something to think about and having Jota, Div, Bobby, Curtis & Alex as our fire breathing dragons I think we have that covered, we would still have Robbo and Trent stretching the pitch too although that may be slightly curtailed, anyhoo I’d rather we try something like this rather than the round pegs in square holes tonight, if you look closely enough you will see the outline of a trench just after the half way line, side to side football ain’t our thing is it ?….

Alisson
                    Trent      Matip    Virgil     Robbo
                                     Fabinho
                           AOC                Curtis
                                      Bobby
                            Divock           Jota

I’ve wrang Jürgen, he say’s something in German, think the second word was aus !!

FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Reply #517: Jan 13, 2022 11:19:35 pm
      Current.

Honestly thought that was obvious as Gini doesn't play for us anymore?

The way you worded it I read it as we’ve had problems over the years with our midfielders staying fit. My bad.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #518: Jan 13, 2022 11:22:01 pm
      The way you worded it I read it as we’ve had problems over the years with our midfielders staying fit. My bad.

No worries.

I can see that now mate.
      In One
      • Forum Erik Meijer

• 32 posts |
      • I’m an arl arse
      Reply #519: Jan 13, 2022 11:29:51 pm
      Time and a place though. No probs with it being sang when the opposition are reciting the usual Tory songbook of sign on, feed the scousers etc, but when they've just got a man sent off you need to be galvanising the team

https://www.facebook.com/rob.smyth.351/videos/6768933006481999/ Should be sung anywhere an everywhere the way these bas**rds have destroyed my city for years . I couldn’t go and see me mam and yet this bas**rds havin parties
      Isaac!
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,572 posts | 325 
      Reply #520: Jan 13, 2022 11:32:54 pm

Yeah, the oppo chants you mention are just everywhere now and they are all disgusting. As if the Thatcherite managed decline is something for other working class fans to celebrate. It's just incredible and horrible ignorance, but when the media is the way it is it's less easy to condemn them. They get disinformation every day as we all do. And as ever there's always sassy fans who will use anything to take the piss without really believing a thing they say.
      sore monad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,937 posts | 502 
      Reply #521: Jan 14, 2022 12:40:58 am
      For the next 2 games through the middle, with Kaide and drop Bobby deeper to beva creative spark

With Mane and Mo out, and after watching that today, I'd switch to a 4-4-2 and play Kostas as a left winger and Gordon (or Neco or Milner, who used of course to be a winger) on the right, and put crosses in for Jota and Bobby/Divock up front.

Take the opposition by surprise for a change, instead of going "oh no, a low block, that doesn't suit us at all, let's try our exact same tactics as usual (but without our 2 best strikers), and then complain about the opposition's negative tactics afterwards."
      Breeding-Reds-In-The-434
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,088 posts | 1046 
      Reply #522: Jan 14, 2022 01:22:30 am
      Klopp sh*t the bed tonight. He got it all wrong. It happens.

Salah contract just got more expensive 😳
      Breeding-Reds-In-The-434
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,088 posts | 1046 
      Reply #523: Jan 14, 2022 02:07:20 am
      Can't believe Jürgen using Covid as an excuse.

I'm bout sick of this type of sh*t everyone is dealing with covid. It's everywhere. Sure some teams are luckier than others, but still...

Everyone has congested December / January's. Everyone has injuries. Figure sh*t out. I love the man, but his complaining has been doing my head in for some time now.
      joemack
      • Forum Graeme Souness

• 377 posts | 13 
      Reply #524: Jan 14, 2022 04:06:30 am
      Amazing how we just turn to sh*t when we’re knocked off kilter, we don’t know any other way aside from our usual high press, so when components of that press are missing we struggle to find another way of playing, it has happened too often and too long now for it to be a simple coincidence, it isn’t, the fact is we are too one dimensional, in short  we only know one way of playing?

That’s all well and good when you have the squad that backs that way of playing, but we don’t, so either we bring in the quality  that will allow us to do just that, or we find a alternative way of playing when the chips are down, I don’t  see us changing much under Jürgen whilst he has the current batch at his disposal, but he may not have a choice in say two to three seasons time when those who will need replacing are NOT replaced,

Hate to say it but are we now witnessing the beginnings of the end of this team, i know I keep harping on about it but we really are a ageing side although there many who refuse to either admit it or fail to see it, I don’t take any pleasure whatsoever saying or thinking this but it does remain a fact, 

However, we are far from done, we’re simply casualties  of circumstance which could not have happened at a worse time, the last few weeks have been a right kick up the rectum, covid fu**ed us in the league, the Leeds game in particular handing that Eastlands mob a huge advantage, were only three behind at one point then suddenly within a week we were 9 behind and now 11, what the f**k happened?

Tonight was at best frustrating, we could have played another 95 mins  still wouldn’t have scored, I’m kinda hoping this wasn’t a trial run for league games playing Jota out wide because if it is we’re fu**ed, he’s more a striker than a winger so play him up top , give him a foil, someone he can feed off of, I’d prefer Divock but since he’s crocked I’d probably go with Taki, I can hear you all sucking your breath in, but hear me out, so two up top preferably Jota & Div, with Bobby in behind flanked with Curtis & Alex, Fabinho as DM in front of the rock steady crew in Allison, Robbo, Matip, Trent,….Re- this is a temporary measure and designed simply to try something else, we’ve all seen again tonight how we need more energy in midfield, Hendo looks spent for me, Jimmy’s bones are creaking and are more akin to the last 20 of games not the first 65, we’re obviously missing Thiago, and wee Harvey too, and of course Naby lad, Mo & Mane,

We are light in midfield granted, but I prefer to give the opponents something to think about and having Jota, Div, Bobby, Curtis & Alex as our fire breathing dragons I think we have that covered, we would still have Robbo and Trent stretching the pitch too although that may be slightly curtailed, anyhoo I’d rather we try something like this rather than the round pegs in square holes tonight, if you look closely enough you will see the outline of a trench just after the half way line, side to side football ain’t our thing is it ?….

Alisson
                    Trent      Matip    Virgil     Robbo
                                     Fabinho
                           AOC                Curtis
                                      Bobby
                            Divock           Jota

I’ve wrang Jürgen, he say’s something in German, think the second word was aus !!

:)
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,053 posts | 82 
      Reply #525: Jan 14, 2022 04:23:41 am
      Also surprising because we played a pretty strong team. When I saw the score I thought some U23 guys were involved. We got some problem.
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,111 posts | 896 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #526: Jan 14, 2022 06:16:11 am
      Shocking midfield performance yesterday, we had a strong team out last night and they were down to 10 so no excuses, a midfield of Hendo and Milner is not creative enough, with the never present Ketia and Thiago, and Ox looking a shadow of his former self we need major investment in midfield but we all know it won’t happen. Where do we go from here
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,659 posts | 3670 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #527: Jan 14, 2022 07:22:54 am
      I did not see the match because I was not fine at all. As I'm reading the thread, Minamino lost a golden chance at the end.

klopp said we lost our style and I think that players coming from Covid need to get their fitness back.
      UncleBob
      • Spotify Bob
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,135 posts | 567 
      Reply #528: Jan 14, 2022 07:53:20 am
      I did not see the match because I was not fine at all. As I'm reading the thread, Minamino lost a golden chance at the end.

klopp said we lost our style and I think that players coming from Covid need to get their fitness back.

Well hope you feel better soon!
      As for the game, it wasn’t just minamino. The midfield trio never works well. It doesn’t create anything and as firmino is hardly a goal scorer and minamino hasn’t found his feet it meant that even if arsenal had 8 men we would have struggled to create.

As for our players coming back from covid im not sure avoit that. I think only Trent had it and the other people players had false positives.

Quick Reply