Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Success This Season??

Read 12930 times
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,821 posts | 4920 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Re: Success This Season??
      Reply #92: Apr 01, 2022 03:03:47 pm
      Behave. It was roared around Anfield well in advance. Like it is every time we're top of the table - whether we end up winning it or not.

There's plenty - see Inter Milan as an example. We lost and still went through, so in essence we've got potentially two games that we don't even need to turn up for because the job will already be done by the second leg.

And even the League, we can drop two points against Watford and still go top with a win at Maine Rd.

And then there's the two games in the FA Cup and the final of the European Cup where we don't have to win it in normal or extra time. A penalty shootout will do - and I think I'm right in saying that our last four successful Cup finals (League Cup 22, League Cup 12, FA Cup 06, European Cup 05) were all won in that manner. So that gives us a bit more leeway in the actual game.

So f**king what? Puff your chest out and say at least we were in with a chance, which is more than can be said for any other c**t. And even if we are ridiculed, what's f**king new? People love to throw the boot in on us. They ridicule Gerrard for his slip - so f**king what. They ridicule us over winning one League Title in 30 years - so f**king what? They ridicule us over living in the past because they haven't got one - so f**king what?

Let them laugh.

We're still the biggest club in the world and we're still the most successful club in England. So if we don't win the quadruple let them f**king laugh. We're meant to be famed for our humour - both giving and taking. If you're so sensitive that you're worried others might laugh at us then you need your f**king head checked lad.

As I've already said, we can drop a couple of points to Watford and the League is still in our hands. And if we don't use that lifeline against Watford and then beat City then by the time they play a Premier League game again, we could be eight points clear of the f**king small time club.

As stated, one negative result will not necessarily derail anything. You seem to like following Jürgen's advice when it comes to the quadruple so take another bit of what he said on board - "we don't like losing games but if we must lose, we at least lose the right ones" (or words to that effect).

Beat Benfica 5-0 at their place, lose 4-0 at Anfield. Quadruple is still on.
      Beat Bayern 5-0 at Anfield, lose 4-0 at their place. Quadruple is still on.
      Draw to Watford. Quadruple is still on.

There's only five games we have to win are City in the FA Cup semi-final and whoever we play in the final of both the FA Cup and European Cup. Whether that be in normal time, extra time or penalties. As well as beating Benfica and Bayern at some point to progress, though again we don't need to beat either in normal or extra time, penalties can save us there as well.

We can draw with Watford and go top of the League. Both us and City after that pick up only point each for the remainder of the season, the game at Maine Rd on April 10th then we win the League on goal difference.

Then it's worth talking about. It's worth dreaming about. And it's sure as f**k worth believing in.

A question I've asked before but so f**king what?

Do you know what this club has done when it's been unrealistic?

It was unrealistic for us to come back from three down at halftime in Istanbul and beat one of the greatest teams on the planet to win the European Cup - but you know what? We f**king did it.

It was unrealistic for us to become even better after Shanks left in 74 but you know what? We f**king did it.

It was unrealistic for us to win the treble in Joe Fagan's first year but you know what? We f**king did it

It was unrealistic for us to win the League Cup, FA Cup, UEFA Cup and finish in the Champions League places in 2000-01 but you know what? We f**king did it.

It was unrealistic that a player/manager could win the League and FA Cup double because it'd never been done before and it hasn't been done since but we f**king did it with Kenny in 86.

It was unrealistic for us to win the League Title in both years following horrific tragedies that this club has faced in 85 in 89 but come May 86 and May 1990, there we f**king where lifting the League Title aloft.

F**k your realism. Because this club doesn't believe in letting what's unrealistic get in our way.

As I've just said winning the League and Cup double with a player/manager had never been done before we did it in 86. No club from England had retained the European Cup till we did it 78. No club in England had won three European Cups till we did in 81, four until we had in 84, five till we did it in 05 and six until we did in 2019. No club had won four League Cups in a row till we did 81-84. No club other than us has won two trebles.

There's always a first for everything and it's usually done by Liverpool Football Club.

Well it isn't.

It's being talked about right now and rightly so. And if it goes tits up then so f**king be it. We talk about it again in August when all the dreaming begins again.

Only next season because we'll of done the quadruple this year will include defending our League Title, our League Cup, our FA Cup and our European Cup, it'll also include bringing back the Charity Shield to Anfield, winning yet another Super Cup and the World Club thing can make another appearance at Anfield. So it'll be the whatever the sevenruple word is this time next year.

And who knows, we might even throw the Ferry into the boat race and win that next year as well.

Well said Billy, brilliant post !!
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,833 posts | 701 
      Reply #93: Apr 03, 2022 11:56:24 pm
      Quote from dunlop liddell shankly
      Behave. It was roared around Anfield well in advance. Like it is every time we're top of the table - whether we end up winning it or not.

There's plenty - see Inter Milan as an example. We lost and still went through, so in essence we've got potentially two games that we don't even need to turn up for because the job will already be done by the second leg.

And even the League, we can drop two points against Watford and still go top with a win at Maine Rd.

And then there's the two games in the FA Cup and the final of the European Cup where we don't have to win it in normal or extra time. A penalty shootout will do - and I think I'm right in saying that our last four successful Cup finals (League Cup 22, League Cup 12, FA Cup 06, European Cup 05) were all won in that manner. So that gives us a bit more leeway in the actual game.

So F***ing what? Puff your chest out and say at least we were in with a chance, which is more than can be said for any other c**t. And even if we are ridiculed, what's F***ing new? People love to throw the boot in on us. They ridicule Gerrard for his slip - so F***ing what. They ridicule us over winning one League Title in 30 years - so F***ing what? They ridicule us over living in the past because they haven't got one - so F***ing what?

Let them laugh.

We're still the biggest club in the world and we're still the most successful club in England. So if we don't win the quadruple let them F***ing laugh. We're meant to be famed for our humour - both giving and taking. If you're so sensitive that you're worried others might laugh at us then you need your F***ing head checked lad.

As I've already said, we can drop a couple of points to Watford and the League is still in our hands. And if we don't use that lifeline against Watford and then beat City then by the time they play a Premier League game again, we could be eight points clear of the F***ing small time club.

As stated, one negative result will not necessarily derail anything. You seem to like following Jürgen's advice when it comes to the quadruple so take another bit of what he said on board - "we don't like losing games but if we must lose, we at least lose the right ones" (or words to that effect).

Beat Benfica 5-0 at their place, lose 4-0 at Anfield. Quadruple is still on.
      Beat Bayern 5-0 at Anfield, lose 4-0 at their place. Quadruple is still on.
      Draw to Watford. Quadruple is still on.

There's only five games we have to win are City in the FA Cup semi-final and whoever we play in the final of both the FA Cup and European Cup. Whether that be in normal time, extra time or penalties. As well as beating Benfica and Bayern at some point to progress, though again we don't need to beat either in normal or extra time, penalties can save us there as well.

We can draw with Watford and go top of the League. Both us and City after that pick up only point each for the remainder of the season, the game at Maine Rd on April 10th then we win the League on goal difference.

Then it's worth talking about. It's worth dreaming about. And it's sure as F**k worth believing in.

A question I've asked before but so F***ing what?

Do you know what this club has done when it's been unrealistic?

It was unrealistic for us to come back from three down at halftime in Istanbul and beat one of the greatest teams on the planet to win the European Cup - but you know what? We F***ing did it.

It was unrealistic for us to become even better after Shanks left in 74 but you know what? We F***ing did it.

It was unrealistic for us to win the treble in Joe Fagan's first year but you know what? We F***ing did it

It was unrealistic for us to win the League Cup, FA Cup, UEFA Cup and finish in the Champions League places in 2000-01 but you know what? We F***ing did it.

It was unrealistic that a player/manager could win the League and FA Cup double because it'd never been done before and it hasn't been done since but we F***ing did it with Kenny in 86.

It was unrealistic for us to win the League Title in both years following horrific tragedies that this club has faced in 85 in 89 but come May 86 and May 1990, there we F***ing where lifting the League Title aloft.

As I've just said winning the League and Cup double with a player/manager had never been done before we did it in 86. No club from England had retained the European Cup till we did it 78. No club in England had won three European Cups till we did in 81, four until we had in 84, five till we did it in 05 and six until we did in 2019. No club had won four League Cups in a row till we did 81-84. No club other than us has won two trebles.

There's always a first for everything and it's usually done by Liverpool Football Club.

That's all fair enough, none of it though was winning a quadruple. You don't have to write out the bleeding obvious because I'm well aware of all of it and witnessed most of it. Unfortunately none of any of those teams won a quadruple, at least 1 and usually more trophies had to be sacrificed on the way. That's the scale of the task.

Yes you're right when you start writing out hypothetical scorelines against teams we haven't played, and may not play in Europe. The truth is we were lucky to get through the last round, and there's no guarantee that if the same scenario happens again, the result will be the same. But there is a guarantee that we won't be going to Maine Road on April 10 or any other date. I don't think anything will be settled then, there's still too many games left.

We sung that we're top of the league rather than we're going to win it. We only started the latter on a day we went 16 points clear of City, when no one could say otherwise. Then there was lots of margin for error, now there's none. This thread was started after a poor result in the first leg of the League Cup semi final. We didn't lose the game but the post mortem here after the game was unbelievable. If you look at the posts that followed, you would think the roof had caved in. If it's like that after that game, then dropping points in the league or the cup is going to be unbearable.

I hope you're right and we have a quadruple to celebrate. I'm not going to laugh at you if it doesn't happen, I don't attack my own side. But Jürgen and the team don't want to hear about quadruples, they just want us to win the next game, because it's the right thing to do.
      bobbyrogers
      • Forum Youth Player

• 17 posts |
      Reply #94: May 17, 2022 09:18:10 pm
      Following on from the debate around the quality of the squad and the need to buy this winter just thought it would be good to see if anyone feels we will win anything this season?

Also has the season so far been a success?

For me the league isn't out of reach but a win in our game in hand still leaves an 8 point gap which is essentially a three game swing on City which will be difficult on both sides current form. Not our of the question but really needs us to be on too of our game and them to start dropping point soon.

Into the last 16 of the CL with a difficult enough, albeit winnable, tie ahead.

As far in the League Cup as we have been in years with a game to win to get to Wembley.

Into the 4th Round of the Cup with a favourable draw which is nice.

So still in the hunt for the title, last 16 in Europe and doing as well as we've ever done in the domestic cups. I'd say that's there or thereabouts I'd have expected us to have been and maybe puts into perspective the chat about the quality of the squad when it's been questioned a lot recently.

We still might win the premiership.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly
      • Started Topic

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #95: May 17, 2022 10:59:51 pm

Yep.

Down to the last game
      Crunchycrisps
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 396 posts | 85 
      Reply #96: May 18, 2022 09:15:00 am
      The two home cups is already success, wouldn't mind two more, I know for a fact I'm going to be more hyped for the CL final  than the FA cup game but not sure that's the point, I already couldn't sleep before the FA cup final.
       Klopp realised the romance and importance of that cup and had the time of his life after the penalties, thanks for the two cups Liverpool, the other two are the massive bonus, so lucky to be a supporter of this club, even in the rough times, we always play good footy. Jürgen and his family are happy, got to be, the commitment he's shown to LFC is something else, success is already achieved, I'm waiting now for the potential bonus cups hehe
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,452 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #97: May 18, 2022 09:21:10 am
      Its all still on.

Brilliant taking the league to last game of season after being so far behind.
      Harrisimo
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 7,968 posts | 1355 
      Reply #98: May 18, 2022 10:09:41 am
      The coffers should be well loaded up after this season. Success for the owners is the bottom line. Klopp is staying put, he needs the ammo to compete with City and the rest.

May be an argument for the end of the season but still..
      Jimsouse67

• 9,275 posts | 1436 
      Reply #99: May 18, 2022 10:39:41 am
      Its all still on.

Brilliant taking the league to last game of season after being so far behind.
      Monumental achievement in itself & it ain’t over yet.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,452 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #100: May 18, 2022 10:47:21 am
      Monumental achievement in itself & it ain’t over yet.

2 be within 2 games of a quad. is crazy tbh.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,948 posts | 8458 
      Reply #101: May 18, 2022 07:22:30 pm

Hahaha when was it last called the premiership.

It's the F***ing League!!
      hardcoresoldier
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,104 posts | 1275 
      • The Liverpool Way is The Only Way
      Reply #102: May 19, 2022 06:07:48 pm
      Whatever happens this weekend and the weekend after, this Season has been an absolute success! I still believe we will win the League and the Champions League but if we don't i'll still be happy.

We are in a very special place right now, regardless of what happens over the next ten days we will still be in that place.

Phenomenal! Just plain and simply PHENOMENAL!
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,233 posts | 752 
      Reply #103: May 19, 2022 06:15:44 pm
      Even if the league is beyond us, win the Champion's league on top of two domestic cups, will be mind blowing ! Meanwhile keep hoping we can clinch a unique quadruple !
      Harrisimo

• 7,968 posts | 1355 
      Reply #104: May 19, 2022 07:00:30 pm
      Even if the league is beyond us, win the Champion's league on top of two domestic cups, will be mind blowing ! Meanwhile keep hoping we can clinch a unique quadruple !

This season is already a massive success. It's this kind of season, going to the wire in every comp makes top players want to come here and as I said earlier this seasons success has swelled the coffers. With Klopp staying on this season has been massive in cementing our position in the top 5 in Europe.

It can all slip away so quickly as Man Utd can testify so we have to build on this seasons success. Money...serious money has to be spent.
      PTU
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,079 posts | 630 
      Reply #105: May 19, 2022 08:07:29 pm
      I'd be curious to know... if you really had to choose, would you rather win the CL or the PL?

Personally, I'd go for the CL. It would cement even further our place amongst the elite. And it would piss City off so very, very much.

But on the other hand, winning the PL after being so far behind at one point would also be glorious...
      « Last Edit: May 19, 2022 08:17:34 pm by PTU »
      Harrisimo

• 7,968 posts | 1355 
      Reply #106: May 19, 2022 08:38:54 pm
      I'd be curious to know... if you really had to choose, would you rather win the CL or the PL?

Personally, I'd go for the CL. It would cement even further our place amongst the elite. And it would piss City off so very, very much.

But on the other hand, winning the PL after being so far behind at one point would also be glorious...

There's a certain mystique and glamour about the Champions League. Final against the mighty Real Madrid. It's got drama, it's got danger, it's charismatic. It's a test of the best from every country. To come out on top is something else altogether.

The Premier league's the bread & butter, it's a season long test. Test of stamina, testing squad strength, needs strong management structure throughout the club. This and much more.

I can't pick one over the other, shuve me up against the wall and I'd squeak....Champions League...but next year the bleedin' Premier League.
      CT_LFC

• 6,782 posts | 1395 
      Reply #107: May 19, 2022 08:39:18 pm
      Short of a Salah or Mane leaving there is no need for big money transfers this summer as none of the key players would be leaving.
      Harrisimo

• 7,968 posts | 1355 
      Reply #108: May 19, 2022 08:46:59 pm
      Short of a Salah or Mane leaving there is no need for big money transfers this summer as none of the key players would be leaving.

Not for me Bro...standing still with City spending big even before the seasons over. Others tooling up. We have to strengthen. Origi will go as will others. Question mark over Jones, Elliott. Salah and Mane but we need fresh top talent in the squad to back up what will be a very testing season.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,662 posts | 2656 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #109: May 19, 2022 09:24:23 pm

Had this discussion before you came a member mate. Not sure if we did a poll. However, Premier league got it. I said while back and nothing changed, it would always be the Premier League with me. Not because it’s the hardest to win but  I think it’s a bigger accomplishment than any cup competition.

You can get lucky draws in cups whereas it’s impossible in the league.

There can be circumstances where a particular time fans may want CL as a one off year to win because never won it, bit like city as pretty sure ask them same question and it may be CL this moment in time.   
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #110: May 19, 2022 09:51:24 pm
      I like being Champions of Europe and then on to Champions of the World.
      PTU
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,079 posts | 630 
      Reply #111: May 19, 2022 10:31:39 pm
      Had this discussion before you came a member mate. Not sure if we did a poll. However, Premier league got it. I said while back and nothing changed, it would always be the Premier League with me. Not because it’s the hardest to win but  I think it’s a bigger accomplishment than any cup competition.

There can be circumstances where a particular time fans may want CL as a one off year to win because never won it, bit like city as pretty sure ask them same question and it may be CL this moment in time.

Usually, I'd completely agree with you and say PL as well. But this season's circumstances make me lean towards the CL at the moment. If anything, just to rub his failure in Pep's nose.
      ConzS
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,321 posts | 1016 
      Reply #112: May 20, 2022 06:40:38 am
      Premier League for me. Seen us lift the CL twice and only the Premier League once, that with no fans. I don’t think anything could beat winning the league on the last day at a packed Anfield.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,662 posts | 2656 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #113: May 20, 2022 07:45:08 am
      Usually, I'd completely agree with you and say PL as well. But this season's circumstances make me lean towards the CL at the moment. If anything, just to rub his failure in Pep's nose.

Like I said! There’re circumstances where it does occasionally change, just like yours.  ;D But predominantly it’s the League as a rule.  :)
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,821 posts | 4920 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #114: May 20, 2022 07:52:39 am

League every time for me, the CL, FA cup, League cup, etc are exactly what it says on the tin, they are CUP competition’s, one legged, two legged or even initially a league format, it’s still a cup comp, to win your domestic league is for me the ultimate test, without stating the obvious which of course I will, mean’s you are the best team, to have won more points than anyone else, to amass the most points from the 38 games you play in a particular season, that’s what makes you become Champions, 🤪

The Champions League is the biggest CUP competition of them all , completely separate from any domestic competition, at one time it used to live up to its title, CHAMPIONS League, but it’s not just the Champions that are permitted entry , which kind of makes a mockery of its title for me, anyhoo, it is what it is and it doesn’t detract the prestige that comes with it, it’s the ultimate test for the ‘supposed’ best side’s across Europe, it’s Massive of course, and you do get the same level of joy winning this as you do winning the league, we have six of these fuckers, and about to get our Seventh, 🥂

We have a unique affinity  with ‘Ol Big Ears’ going back to ‘77’, since then whenever we go far into the competition we can smell the Weiman’s (silver polish), RM must have the same affinity but F**k them, cheating cnuts, it is the one piece of Silverware that every club in Europe wants to get their hands on, none more so than those camel jockeys at Eastlands, but their amateur’s compared to us, as is Keith’s MUtants who have won three, the plastic Chavs have two same as Nottingham Forest, and Aston Villa have one, so only five clubs in our league and of course Celtic who were the first British club to win it, have won it, that is Unique-ness right there,

Everyone has their own opinions but like what Shankly said, the League is our ‘Bread & Butter’ that’s what your measured by, the CL is for some the holy grail, like Citeh, cos they’ve never won it, and won’t under Pep, in my opinion, but the league is the Ultimate for me, and beats any cup competition, hands down !!

Allez Allez Allez !!

Y  N  W  A

Quick Reply