Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Success This Season??

Read 12917 times
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly
      • Started Topic

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Success This Season??
      Jan 14, 2022 04:18:43 pm
      Following on from the debate around the quality of the squad and the need to buy this winter just thought it would be good to see if anyone feels we will win anything this season?

Also has the season so far been a success?

For me the league isn't out of reach but a win in our game in hand still leaves an 8 point gap which is essentially a three game swing on City which will be difficult on both sides current form. Not our of the question but really needs us to be on too of our game and them to start dropping point soon.

Into the last 16 of the CL with a difficult enough, albeit winnable, tie ahead.

As far in the League Cup as we have been in years with a game to win to get to Wembley.

Into the 4th Round of the Cup with a favourable draw which is nice.

So still in the hunt for the title, last 16 in Europe and doing as well as we've ever done in the domestic cups. I'd say that's there or thereabouts I'd have expected us to have been and maybe puts into perspective the chat about the quality of the squad when it's been questioned a lot recently.
      « Last Edit: Jan 14, 2022 05:46:38 pm by srslfc »
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,479 posts | 3285 
      Re: Success This Season??
      Reply #1: Jan 14, 2022 04:24:22 pm
      Overall it’s not too bad at all -

League - dropped some silly points at Brighton and Brentford plus poor game at Leicester

Win the game in hand and it’s 8 points , we play City and also they have some tough games

It’s tough but it’s not done

We do need to get 6 points from the next two games

CL

Been superb and imo it’s our best chance of a trophy , I can see us beating anyone in it , it will be tricky against Inter but we should be going into it with great confidence

FA Cup

Into the 4th round and a decent draw

EFL Cup

Great chance to get to the final

Overall the season isn’t as bad as the reactions
      AlwaysTheKop
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,208 posts | 1418 
      • CHAMP19NS.
      Reply #2: Jan 14, 2022 04:28:12 pm
      I think Klopp would take any of the cups and a top 4 finish this season with Covid etc and I think it’s all we can expect with the squad at the minute.

League Cup is probably our safest bet.

srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly
      • Started Topic

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #3: Jan 14, 2022 04:29:51 pm
      I think Klopp would take any of the cups and a top 4 finish this season with Covid etc and I think it’s all we can expect with the squad at the minute.

League Cup is probably our safest bet.

League Cup and the CL would be fantastic and definitely well within reach.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #4: Jan 14, 2022 04:30:26 pm
      Still a hell of a lot better than last season.

Could still win a few trophies, twatted the mancs and blueshite on their own patch........yet I get the feeling some would prefer to be on suicide watch like last season just so they can a) be proved right concerning signings or b) some just want an excuse to bi*ch more.
      Salah10
      • Banned

• 1,224 posts | 200 
      Reply #5: Jan 14, 2022 04:34:43 pm
      Following on from the debate around the quality of the squad and the need to buy this winter just thought it would be good to see if anyone feels we will win anything this season?

For me the league isn't out of reach but a win in our game in hand still leaves an 8 point gap which is essentially a three game swing on City which will be difficult on both sides current form. Not our of the question but really needs us to be on too of our game and them to start dropping point soon.

As far in the League Cup as we have been in years with a game to win to get to Wembley.

So still in the hint for the title, last 16 in Europe and doing as well as we've ever done in the domestic cups. I'd say that's where or whereabouts I'd have expected us to have been and maybe pits into perspective the chat about the quality of the squad when it's been questioned a lot recently.

We've got to go and beat Arsenal at theirs to get to Wembley. Usually that's very doable but with our current form, as well as the two to accompany Jota and our lack of creativity in midfield, I can't see us doing it.

FA Cup is an easy draw (on paper but you know what our lot are like) but as the rounds get smaller the teams get harder and, again, our form is the big factor here.

Inter are no push overs. They just beat Juve in the cup and are top of their league. We'll have Salah and Mane back but if this midfield don't sort themselves out it'll be two long nights. If we sort ourselves out in the middle we beat them. I think the Champions League is our best shot at silverware. We need to avoid an City and Chelsea in that cup.

League is over. City don't drop eleven point leads.

Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #6: Jan 14, 2022 04:37:20 pm
      Success would be this topic not been overtaken by talk of a certain other nature

Outside of that

Top 2 and a cup, ideally number 7

League not gone but realistically that starts this weekend with chelsea, they need to get something off city, and we need to do our own work. 2nd would be a good league season

European cup again no reason we cant win it bar our own form and perhaps not losing individuals to injury or suspension

FA cup. Would love us to win it, been too long think anything less than a semi final here is a let down

League cup, win it, if we dont not the end of the world

But another success would be knowing by May that come August we have at least 1 player from the academy we know will be a big player for us in the coming seasons
      IrishRed86
      • Forum Jason McAteer

• 145 posts | 37 
      Reply #7: Jan 14, 2022 04:54:40 pm
      League is gone so has to be Champions league. Serious investment required this summer.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Reply #8: Jan 14, 2022 04:58:40 pm
      So we have a game in hand and we play City, so that's a 6 point swing right there. Need to scrounge up those other 5 points somehow. It's not impossible but it sure does feel that way considering they never seem to lose. But if they drop a couple of games, things tighten right back up as long as we don't start losing ourselves. Again though....the league shouldn't feel like it's already lost with the amount of points we've put up already. That's just horseshit and it's due to the fact that City can spend, spend, spend and load their bench with players that would be starters for most other teams.

CL is the one I'm most confident of at this point but if Thiago doesn't come back, I think it hurts our chances there a little bit.

League and FA cup are both winnable and I suppose it will come down to the squad that's available based on injuries, covid and other comps.

If you just look at objectively at where we are, hard to say anything's lost, but I certainly don't have the utmost confidence when you see some of our recent performances and with Afcon and injuries and illness.

For me success is still winning the league or the CL (or both). Not that the League and FA cups aren't nice, but Klopp is here to make us the best in the world and to be the best in the world, you win league or CL trophies. Each year we go without a league title seems like it will look like a waste of Klopp's time here when you look back in a few years.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #9: Jan 14, 2022 05:00:47 pm
      This squad is definitely capable of ending the season with some trophies.
      CT_LFC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,782 posts | 1395 
      Reply #10: Jan 14, 2022 05:04:12 pm
      We need at least 1 trophy this season to be considered a success, even if it's the Carabao. Squad is way too good to miss out on all 4 comps and would be considered a failure.
      TameImpala
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,269 posts | 1216 
      • He's five foot seven, he's football heaven
      Reply #11: Jan 14, 2022 05:22:25 pm
      I'll be absolutely delighted if we reach the League Cup final next week and of course be over the moon if we win it but it's pretty simple for me in terms of expectations - I just like to still be within a chance of silverware come April / May. Always disappoints me when seasons fizzle out and we spend the remaining weeks / months just going through the motions.

The league is looking pretty unlikely at the moment, although not completely done and dusted, so obviously barring that I'd still be delighted if we were to make it to the final of the FA Cup or European Cup. Obviously winning them is what really matters but the feeling of knowing you've got a final to look forward to in May is magnificent. Flags appearing on houses, the weather beginning to warm up and the general buzz and excitement about the game. If you win it's also a great crescendo to end the season on and gives you something to propel yourself from the following campaign. So in a nutshell as long as there's still something to play for come April / May I'll be happy
      Klopps Snood
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,631 posts | 1558 
      • CHAMPI9NS
      Reply #12: Jan 14, 2022 10:01:25 pm
      Here We Go Gathering Cups In May  :scarf:
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #13: Jan 14, 2022 10:01:25 pm

Considering the noise pre season I'd say up to Christmas we had overachieved!

I'd have to check the stats but I think its been a while since we've been in four competitions in the middle of January.

Feel like we've had a shittier deal from covid. More of a drip drip whereas some other teams seemed to have had games postponed and got through it all at once by having a player covid party.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #14: Jan 14, 2022 10:02:45 pm
      I just like to still be within a chance of silverware come April / May. Always disappoints me when seasons fizzle out and we spend the remaining weeks / months just going through the motions.

We've come a long way from calculating what we need when 'trying to finish 4th'.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly
      • Started Topic

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #15: Jan 14, 2022 10:10:08 pm
      Considering the noise pre season I'd say up to Christmas we had overachieved!

I'd have to check the stats but I think its been a while since we've been in four competitions in the middle of January.

Feel like we've had a shittier deal from covid. More of a drip drip whereas some other teams seemed to have had games postponed and got through it all at once by having a player covid party.

Yea still being in the hunt for all four at this time of year is something we're not  used to so in that regard we're ticking along ok.

I think the patchy form over the last few weeks has clouded everyone's judgement a little, my own included, and add in the usual transfer drama it's why I thought a bit of a look back at where we all think we are in relation to success this season and so far wasn't a bad idea.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #16: Jan 14, 2022 11:35:23 pm
      If we don’t win the league then the league season is a failure IMO but obviously 2nd is the next best thing, anything other than 2nd at worst and it’s a real disappointment given we came 3rd last season with Kabak, Phillips and Carol the dinner lady as our defence.

Biggest gripe for me since Klopp took over is our pathetic displays in the domestic cups, so to win one of them (ideally both) and get a good run in the other would be a vast improvement.

Ultimately there’s 2 trophies we all want at the start of a season; the league and the CL. If we don’t win the league then we must win the CL, winning that for a 7th time would more than make up for not winning the league as far as I’m concerned.

Realistically, we aren’t winning the league this season so let’s at least secure 2nd.
      Isaac!
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,572 posts | 325 
      Reply #17: Jan 15, 2022 12:02:17 am
      A cup win and a CL final , 2nd in the league would be nice. And the mancs missing 4th by ate least 5 points. Just finishing second and getting to the CL semi would be quite good.

Next seasn we recover our mad consistency in a pandamic free world.
      PolarBearRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,695 posts | 837 
      Reply #18: Jan 15, 2022 02:48:22 am

So still in the hunt for the title, last 16 in Europe and doing as well as we've ever done in the domestic cups. I'd say that's there or thereabouts I'd have expected us to have been and maybe puts into perspective the chat about the quality of the squad when it's been questioned a lot recently.
      My answer to this question is no although I wouldn't rule out us finding our form back as in the past few years the month of january is always bad for us. However, the reason to my answer has nothing to do with the quality of the squad. It's about the inconsistency and how we've gone into certain games (flat). We lost points with the best 11 out there and when I say best 11 I mean that even if we had bought a player or two in the summer on top of Konate, these guys wouldn't have changed anything because they wouldn't be in our best 11. I doubt any winger we would've bought in the summer starts over Salah or Mane, same for a back up RB, etc.

What killed us is those games where you can't come to me and tell me we lost because of a lack of depth on the bench. You're not supposed to score 3 against Brentford and come out with one point, you're not supposed to score 2 against Brighton at home and come out with one point. Same applies for West Ham, etc. Some of the games we just went in there and the whole team was bad except for a player or two. The latest addition to this collection of games is the Arsenal game we just played. The two CBs and the goalkeeper were good. Everybody else was just bad. I don't see a signing or two changing anything in a game like that especially that people are asking for ''depth'' not an improvement on starters (Salah, TAA, Fabinho, Mane, Jota, etc.).

On top of all that I also must add something that a lot of people don't want to hear but in my opinion it is denial to refuse acknowledge it. City have so much money they make it virtually impossible to win the league without being perfect. Me saying that doesn't mean I'm saying we should abandon and do nothing about it but we also have to remember that no we don't have the budget to have Raheem Sterling and Mahrez sitting on our bench. We don't have the money to pay 100M for Grealish and then sit him on the bench. So its not as easy as ''FSG please open the chequebook and make it rain''. If you're expecting FSG or any other similar owner to do that then you'll be waiting for a long time. We will compete but in the way we have been doing it for years now which is by trying to retain the quality we already have and making smart additions. We can't spend 3 seasons paying 100M each season just to try a new pair of full-backs until we find the good pairing.
      Rush Goalie
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,234 posts | 261 
      Reply #19: Jan 15, 2022 09:21:32 am
      The league season was going pretty well until the Spurs game where covid and cheating VAR officials robbed us . There's a few things to look at here ,covid has disrupted us big time there's only really City who can cope squad wise. We've dropped daft points which over history every league winning side has done but City's billions have changed that. Klopp has done a fantastic job to keep us anywhere near challenging.
      We've been great in Europe and covid depending we can give that a damn good go our first 11 can challenge anyone.
      I desperately want that League Cup it's been 10yrs since a domestic cup win and it'll give us a lift and players want to lift trophies and win medals.
      I'm not giving up on the league but I think it's unlikely now all things considered.
      After finally getting our hands on the PL we deffo want it again but Big Ears number 7 would trump that for me ,throw in a domestic cup and third place would be a fantastic season.
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,233 posts | 752 
      Reply #20: Jan 15, 2022 09:52:24 am
      Success of course is all about winning trophies at the end of the day. There is still the Champion's League as well as the two domestic cups to play for, winning the Premiership maybe out of reach ?? So winning a couple of cup competitions and qualifying for Europe, would be deemed as a fair success to my mind.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #21: Jan 15, 2022 10:17:16 am
      I don't know how all you cold-hearted people can be talking.aboit anything related to success for this club less than 24 hours after Jürgen announcing that club legend Loris Karius is free to leave. What a sad day

(It was when we signed him, I mean).
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #22: Jan 15, 2022 10:23:51 am
      If we are mathematically out of the title race then I’d like us to win a domestic cup, the champions league with a 2nd finish in the league...

I just hope we can conjure up a title assault, which in all honestly is still possible...

Quick Reply