Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Success This Season??

Read 12928 times
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,053 posts | 82 
      Re: Success This Season??
      Reply #46: Jan 15, 2022 03:37:08 pm
      You don’t get it do you? We all know it’s the least favourite Cup to win but at this stage of a competition it’s still great to win even though it doesn’t have the stature of other competitions.

This is just lame in my eyes. It is like those dudes that go into a club and when they did not find some decent chick they take anything at 5am in the morning and justify it with the same idea you present here. That is loser‘s thinking in my eyes. We are Liverpool, not ManU. We need to eye PL-title or CL-title or - if we are a long shot in the PL - FA-Cup-title, but the League Cup should always only be a playground for testing players. Honor should dictate that. But I guess we agree to disagree.
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,479 posts | 3285 
      Reply #47: Jan 15, 2022 03:39:00 pm
      This is just lame in my eyes. It is like those dudes that go into a club and when they did not find some decent chick they take anything at 5am in the morning and justify it with the same idea you present here. That is loser‘s thinking in my eyes. We are Liverpool, not ManU. We need to eye PL-title or CL-title or - if we are a long shot in the PL - FA-Cup-title, but the League Cup should always only be a playground for testing players. Honor should dictate that. But I guess we agree to disagree.

Spoken like some armchair modern fan who knows feck all about the club.
      Don77
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,326 posts | 1036 
      Reply #48: Jan 15, 2022 03:42:49 pm

You have no clue. At the start of every season we have 4 trophies to go for. Winning any of them is great. Yes, the league or CL would be great ... but the other 2 are still trophies in the cabinet and provide joy and memories along the way.
      TameImpala
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,269 posts | 1216 
      • He's five foot seven, he's football heaven
      Reply #49: Jan 15, 2022 03:48:15 pm
      This is just lame in my eyes. It is like those dudes that go into a club and when they did not find some decent chick they take anything at 5am in the morning and justify it with the same idea you present here. That is loser‘s thinking in my eyes.

Hahaha, what a F***ing horrific shout that is. Rather be out on the ale at 5AM than sat at home wanking

I'll be having the time of my life at Wembley with 10s of thousands of other reds, or "losers" as you like to put it, if we beat Arsenal next week. What will you be doing?
      Norfolk Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,154 posts | 499 
      Reply #50: Jan 15, 2022 03:59:24 pm
      You are fools! The League Cup is a joke. Every coach of every good team shows it to you by playing bench players, even deep into the tournament. You can even see it in interviews how they feel uncomfortable to lie about this piece of laughter, but of course they give you the politically correct answer. PL & CL and with miles away the FA-Cup. The League Cup is the equivalent to when you brag about shagging a 50+ year old woman who is a prostitute. :mad:

You sir are a complete Buffoon.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #51: Jan 15, 2022 04:04:59 pm
      You are fools! The League Cup is a joke. Every coach of every good team shows it to you by playing bench players,

Except when teams get to the semis and then its all in, look at the 4 teams picked on Wednesday and Thursday.
      Breeding-Reds-In-The-434
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,088 posts | 1046 
      Reply #52: Jan 15, 2022 04:29:22 pm
      Except when teams get to the semis and then its all in, look at the 4 teams picked on Wednesday and Thursday.

Don't give that any thought, Brian. Silly talk. At this point I'm praying for a league cup title. This season is a wierd one. City are great and lucky, we've been brilliant and lackluster, AFCON, Covid cancelations, injuries, etc.

If we get top 4 and win a trophy than IMO it's a success. Pretty clear we have a team that needs a bit of reshaping due to age, but also clear we have some great young talent ready to play bigger roles in time. Win a trophy this year and then go again next year
      bmck

• 9,404 posts | 1611 
      • YNWA
      Reply #53: Jan 15, 2022 04:48:50 pm
      Agree

Fill the trophy cabinet if you can't win the big one.

Far to many people these days obsessed about only the league and transfer windows.

Forget what football is all about unless for those newer fans that's what is more important??

I see its not just one side of the FSG transfer debate that keeps banging on about it different threads.

Jürgen seems obsessed with winning the CL and the PL aswell, preferring to playing kids in the EFL and FA [intil semi's that is :) ]

Obviously winning trophies is a good thing. Always nice to put a Cup in the cabinet. But let's not pretend there aren't priorities.
      bmck

• 9,404 posts | 1611 
      • YNWA
      Reply #54: Jan 15, 2022 04:51:52 pm
      The silverware massive but I also see it as a perfect vehicle to look at younger players, fringe players and perfect for players returning from injury

Been what most of the main PL teams have used it for for a lot of years now, give the squad players/young lads a run etc
      Then if get closer to the end, bring in the big guns.  Maybe could argue that's not really fair, but I guess understandable.
      rossyred

• 9,093 posts | 1632 
      Reply #55: Jan 15, 2022 05:02:32 pm
      Been what most of the main PL teams have used it for for a lot of years now, give the squad players/young lads a run etc
      Then if get closer to the end, bring in the big guns.  Maybe could argue that's not really fair, but I guess understandable.

My point is really should aim to stay in as long as possible as it opens up these chances , never understood own fans wanting to go out as soon as possible to concentrate on the other silverware
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly
      • Started Topic

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #56: Jan 15, 2022 05:22:27 pm
      I see its not just one side of the FSG transfer debate that keeps banging on about it different threads.

Jürgen seems obsessed with winning the CL and the PL aswell, preferring to playing kids in the EFL and FA [intil semi's that is :) ]

Obviously winning trophies is a good thing. Always nice to put a Cup in the cabinet. But let's not pretend there aren't priorities.

Nah mate transfer window obsession had been about longer than FSG.

Agree on Jürgen not prioritising the cups but that is also down to the sheer pressure to win in the league and Europe.

Even if he doesn't see them as important I do so won't really change my mind in that.

Anyway we've a great chance this season to add to our cup tally so fingers crossed.
      bmck

• 9,404 posts | 1611 
      • YNWA
      Reply #57: Jan 15, 2022 05:55:50 pm

Anyway we've a great chance this season to add to our cup tally so fingers crossed.

Yeah, think any silverware we can get this season would be massively appreciated. Could all do with the lift.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly
      • Started Topic

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #58: Jan 15, 2022 05:57:22 pm
      Yeah, think any silverware we can get this season would be massively appreciated. Could all do with the lift.

Agreed
      Rush Goalie
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,234 posts | 261 
      Reply #59: Jan 15, 2022 07:27:37 pm
      Nobody is claiming the League Cup to be the pinnacle but you can say the same for the FA Cup and would I swap 4th place for a domestic cup? No not a chance but I'd like to get top four and a domestic cup if we can .
      Success breeds success.
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,053 posts | 82 
      Reply #60: Jan 16, 2022 07:40:11 am
      I hope we win either CL or FA-Cup since the latter has tradition and was once a very respected one. That plus top4 would be a success for me, even no cup, top4 but running deep into CL it will be. Obviously the League Cup would not hurt, but for me it would just not play a role.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,948 posts | 8458 
      Reply #61: Jan 16, 2022 11:37:35 am
      You are fools! The League Cup is a joke. Every coach of every good team shows it to you by playing bench players, even deep into the tournament. You can even see it in interviews how they feel uncomfortable to lie about this piece of laughter, but of course they give you the politically correct answer. PL & CL and with miles away the FA-Cup. The League Cup is the equivalent to when you brag about shagging a 50+ year old woman who is a prostitute. :mad:

We're the joint holders of the most wins of the trophy with 8, we used to be out there on our own until City started winning it recently. In the early to mid 80s it was seen as OUR cup.

Know your F***ing history la!!
      « Last Edit: Jan 16, 2022 05:21:24 pm by HUYTON RED »
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,452 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #62: Jan 16, 2022 03:55:31 pm
      Top 3 minimum in League, already pretty my Ch nailed on, and still chance of winning league, too many games left to give up even though unlikely

Every chance of winning Thursday night to then get into a final.

Champions league is up for grabs, really fancy us for that this season.

And still in the FA cup with a decent draw.

All in all its already a successful season, seen as were competing for everything going

Will be even better if we win at least 1 cup.
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,833 posts | 701 
      Reply #63: Mar 22, 2022 06:34:50 pm
      Quote from CT_LFC
      We need at least 1 trophy this season to be considered a success, even if it's the Carabao. Squad is way too good to miss out on all 4 comps and would be considered a failure.

So is the season a success then?
      CT_LFC

• 6,782 posts | 1395 
      Reply #64: Mar 22, 2022 06:42:29 pm

yes, why wouldn't it be?
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,955 posts | 3334 
      Reply #65: Mar 23, 2022 12:00:58 pm
      The League Cup was valued worthy of the greatest manager in the history of the game, Bob Paisely, to go and lift in his final season in charge back in 83. And if it's good enough for Bob then it's sure as F**k good enough for any one of us.

It's also the only competition we've won 4 times in consecutive years.

It's the only trophy that has been a part of both our trebles in 84 and 01.

It's the only trophy we've won more than any other.

And did you see the celebrations at Wembley when we won it? Did you see the little kid dancing and lifting the trophy aloft alongside Ali? Did you see the grown men with tears in their eyes because their club had won the League Cup? I saw all that on replay because I was one of those men with tears in my eyes. Who cares about the League Cup? Well I F***ing do. And as Jürgen said, it felt no different to him than winning the Champions League.

Ten F***ing years without a domestic cup is too long for a club of our size. And winning the League Cup back in 2012 brought tears to the eyes of Kenny Dalglish, which shows how much it means to The King as well.

Now we're sixteen games away from winning our first ever quadruple - including the League Cup! And who knows we might put the icing on the cake with a special treble within the quadruple of beating Chelsea in three finals in one season.

So we've already had success this season, let's go and build on it with even more success.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #66: Mar 23, 2022 12:31:06 pm
      Its a tough one to call

From a position of being able to win everything to only finish with a league cup would be a downer.

But a league cup added to say runners up in the prem and 1 of the other 2 trophies is a serious season by any standard
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,821 posts | 4920 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #67: Mar 23, 2022 01:40:28 pm
      The League Cup was valued worthy of the greatest manager in the history of the game, Bob Paisely, to go and lift in his final season in charge back in 83. And if it's good enough for Bob then it's sure as f**k good enough for any one of us.

It's also the only competition we've won 4 times in consecutive years.

It's the only trophy that has been a part of both our trebles in 84 and 01.

It's the only trophy we've won more than any other.

And did you see the celebrations at Wembley when we won it? Did you see the little kid dancing and lifting the trophy aloft alongside Ali? Did you see the grown men with tears in their eyes because their club had won the League Cup? I saw all that on replay because I was one of those men with tears in my eyes. Who cares about the League Cup? Well I f**king do. And as Jürgen said, it felt no different to him than winning the Champions League.

Ten f**king years without a domestic cup is too long for a club of our size. And winning the League Cup back in 2012 brought tears to the eyes of Kenny Dalglish, which shows how much it means to The King as well.

Now we're sixteen games away from winning our first ever quadruple - including the League Cup! And who knows we might put the icing on the cake with a special treble within the quadruple of beating Chelsea in three finals in one season.

So we've already had success this season, let's go and build on it with even more success.

THIS^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Now before I get shouted down, yes I was one of those who seen it as the least priority of trophies, maybe it is,  I was also one of those who boo hoo’d it as Micky mouse silverware, so I guess I am hypocritical, but when you read something like what DLS wrote, you sit back and take notice , you re-evaluate what it means, not only to this club but to those have served us so well, ppl who you or I will never experience what they had or did,  we are merely fans/ supporters, but those ppl Billy is on about gave their blood sweat and tears & passion winning it as either player, manager or both,

So for me we should be thanking Billy for reminding us exactly what winning a league cup should mean to all of us, and most of us including myself should hang our heads in shame for forgetting what it meant to those we give/ gave our support to for decades, it may not reap the financial rewards other pieces of eight do, but it is silverware and as fans of this wonderful institution of ours should embrace it and want to win it each and every season, that passion and those tears Billy shed are for real, you can’t write them, something we should remind ourselves of the next time someone mock’s it or puts it down!!

Y  N  W  A
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,948 posts | 8458 
      Reply #68: Mar 23, 2022 02:32:28 pm

It's not over yet!!

Quick Reply