Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Success This Season??

Read 12920 times
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,452 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Re: Success This Season??
      Reply #69: Mar 24, 2022 03:55:27 pm
      The League Cup was valued worthy of the greatest manager in the history of the game, Bob Paisely, to go and lift in his final season in charge back in 83. And if it's good enough for Bob then it's sure as f**k good enough for any one of us.

It's also the only competition we've won 4 times in consecutive years.

It's the only trophy that has been a part of both our trebles in 84 and 01.

It's the only trophy we've won more than any other.

And did you see the celebrations at Wembley when we won it? Did you see the little kid dancing and lifting the trophy aloft alongside Ali? Did you see the grown men with tears in their eyes because their club had won the League Cup? I saw all that on replay because I was one of those men with tears in my eyes. Who cares about the League Cup? Well I f**king do. And as Jürgen said, it felt no different to him than winning the Champions League.

Ten f**king years without a domestic cup is too long for a club of our size. And winning the League Cup back in 2012 brought tears to the eyes of Kenny Dalglish, which shows how much it means to The King as well.

Now we're sixteen games away from winning our first ever quadruple - including the League Cup! And who knows we might put the icing on the cake with a special treble within the quadruple of beating Chelsea in three finals in one season.

So we've already had success this season, let's go and build on it with even more success.

yup.

Already a successful season, with every chance of being a legendary season.

brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,452 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #70: Mar 24, 2022 03:56:43 pm
      Top 3 minimum in League, already pretty my Ch nailed on, and still chance of winning league, too many games left to give up even though unlikely

Every chance of winning Thursday night to then get into a final.

Champions league is up for grabs, really fancy us for that this season.

And still in the FA cup with a decent draw.

All in all its already a successful season, seen as were competing for everything going

Will be even better if we win at least 1 cup.

I wasn't wrong then. ;D
      Stevie G the legend
      • Forum John Aldridge

• 109 posts | 15 
      Reply #71: Mar 24, 2022 04:55:45 pm
      Just one of the big two and I am a happy bunny 🐰 YNWA
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #72: Mar 24, 2022 06:11:52 pm

you are the Mystic Meg of the Forum any chance of the lottery numbers ?
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,452 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #73: Mar 25, 2022 08:26:24 am
      you are the Mystic Meg of the Forum any chance of the lottery numbers ?

;D

my coupons and gambling have been shocking lately so nope.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #74: Mar 25, 2022 09:22:05 am
      Getting to 30 thousand in the count to a million thread
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,821 posts | 4920 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #75: Mar 26, 2022 09:29:15 am
      yup.

Already a successful season, with every chance of being a legendary season.

We have to go back to ‘77’ to see a similar situation that we are in right now, we’re almost in April and still in with a more than decent shout of winning the fookin lot, lot btw, isn’t short for lottery, we won that already when Jürgen signed, anyhoo, to still be battling on three fronts really is a time to sit down and absorb what is happening,

I remember ‘77’ well, I was back home then in Glasgow, didn’t get to see much footy except for motd, or sport scene up there, itv had occasional European games but only if it involved British sides, in ‘76’ I took a avid interest in LFC thru motd, I was 15, didn’t know sh*t, still don’t 🤪, but that’s where it all began, in ‘77’ Munts done us in the cup final, gutted, but then we won the league and followed it by winning the European cup,

So back to this season and Wow, if your not totally entrenched in what for me could be our best ever season there’s something missing, back then I didn’t, simply because I wasn’t totally in love with everything LFC, so I feel I kind of missed it if you know what I mean, l loved the joy of seeing us win course I did but I didn’t fully understand, I was just a kid, so if your just a kid please take in what your seeing because this is a very unique situation, believe me, it truly is,

Neil Atkinson of TAW alluded to this on press box on LFCtv, to still have the chance of the 3 major honours in April having already secured one, League cup, Q finals of the CL probable Semi to follow, Semi final of the FA cup, possible Final, and the holy grail of the EPL in our hands, it’s unbelievable isn’t it ?

We are in for one hell of a April ppl, what a time to be a Red, young or old and anything in between, it really is, so absorb it as much as you can, get on it as much as you can, shout from the fookin rooftops, because the pro Manc media are unsurprisingly very f***in quiet, if this was f***in Citeh, or that other shower of sh*te it would be all over Sky, talkshite, the S*n, every f***in day, every f***in week, there would be specials on sky sports jizzing all over how City are this and city are that, and wee baldy Pep is the best manager there’s ever been managing the best side ever ever ever ever to have played in the EPL ever !!!!!!

F**k off are they !!

WE ARE !   

Y  N  W  A
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,452 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #76: Mar 26, 2022 10:53:12 am

We have to go back to ‘77’ to see a similar situation that we are in right now, we’re almost in April and still in with a more than decent shout of winning the fookin lot, lot btw, isn’t short for lottery, we won that already when Jürgen signed, anyhoo, to still be battling on three fronts really is a time to sit down and absorb what is happening,

I remember ‘77’ well, I was back home then in Glasgow, didn’t get to see much footy except for motd, or sport scene up there, itv had occasional European games but only if it involved British sides, in ‘76’ I took a avid interest in LFC thru motd, I was 15, didn’t know sh*t, still don’t 🤪, but that’s where it all began, in ‘77’ Munts done us in the cup final, gutted, but then we won the league and followed it by winning the European cup,

So back to this season and Wow, if your not totally entrenched in what for me could be our best ever season there’s something missing, back then I didn’t, simply because I wasn’t totally in love with everything LFC, so I feel I kind of missed it if you know what I mean, l loved the joy of seeing us win course I did but I didn’t fully understand, I was just a kid, so if your just a kid please take in what your seeing because this is a very unique situation, believe me, it truly is,

Neil Atkinson of TAW alluded to this on press box on LFCtv, to still have the chance of the 3 major honours in April having already secured one, League cup, Q finals of the CL probable Semi to follow, Semi final of the FA cup, possible Final, and the holy grail of the EPL in our hands, it’s unbelievable isn’t it ?

We are in for one hell of a April ppl, what a time to be a Red, young or old and anything in between, it really is, so absorb it as much as you can, get on it as much as you can, shout from the fookin rooftops, because the pro Manc media are unsurprisingly very f***in quiet, if this was f***in Citeh, or that other shower of sh*te it would be all over Sky, talkshite, the S*n, every f***in day, every f***in week, there would be specials on sky sports jizzing all over how City are this and city are that, and wee baldy Pep is the best manager there’s ever been managing the best side ever ever ever ever to have played in the EPL ever !!!!!!

F**k off are they !!

WE ARE !   

Y  N  W  A

Great post cheers Billy.

Gonna be an Brilliant April, and with a bit of luck an epic May. ;D

David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,233 posts | 752 
      Reply #77: Mar 27, 2022 10:09:33 am
      Loads more silverware for t#e men in Red, roll on May !
      UncleBob
      • Spotify Bob
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,135 posts | 567 
      Reply #78: Mar 27, 2022 10:35:29 am
      The way I see it is:
      Just a league cup = OK. Better than nothing and something to work with.

League cup and FA Cup = Good.

Any double involving either the league title or champions league = superb

Any treble = amazing

Quadruple = out of this world.

waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #79: Mar 27, 2022 10:58:37 am
      The way I see it is:
      Just a league cup = OK. Better than nothing and something to work with.

League cup and FA Cup = Good.

Any double involving either the league title or champions league = superb

Any treble = amazing

Quadruple = out of this world.

I love European Trophies the CL number 7 sounds nice doesnt it but anything else will be superb and reward for hard work by all the squad and staff oh and what about the Anfield Crowd it is now accepted just how much they bring to every victory.
      ruthcity
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,867 posts | 1465 
      Reply #80: Mar 28, 2022 05:22:42 pm
      Me going to discredit everybody’s effort - the league cup isn’t counted. So much for all the effort. That’s not even success. Muahaha!

How do ya feel about me saying this? ;D just trying to be funny. Silverware is silverware. It’s on the wall. Even if we don’t win any other thing, it’s still a damn bloody good season. Don’t let anyone undermine us that the league cup isn’t counted as success. It adds on to the silverware counter. And it’s not a preseason Audi Cup mind you.
      Klopps Snood
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,631 posts | 1558 
      • CHAMPI9NS
      Reply #81: Mar 29, 2022 05:42:16 pm

F**k off are they !!

WE ARE !   

Y  N  W  A

Excellent post Billy, best I've read for a while, of course I was well up for it in 77..I was lapping up the Rome sunshine back then and we must fully appreciate what's happening to us now and just absolutely enjoy every minute of this incredible ride....fasten those seatbelts, April is gonna be a mad month, but so exciting, we are so damn lucky, this doesn't happen often to be up for a quadruple like this.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #82: Mar 29, 2022 10:03:06 pm

F**k off are they !!

WE ARE !   

Y  N  W  A

great time to be enjoyed to the max the football alone without the silverware is to be cherished. Imagine going back to the 1964-65 season having won the league in 64 we went on to win the FA Cup for the first time in  65 a few days later parading the cup at Anfield for the first leg of the European Cup semi final with a crowd howling and creating a non stop atmosphere for the 90 mins. 3-1 in the first leg and then we were robbed in Milan and lost 3-0.  Just like that historic season in 65 people will talk about this period long after we are all gone. I cant get enough of it I watch everything I can about the lads on youtube its heady times suck it up whilst the Blueshite are losing money hand over fist so much so they stopped counting we are drinking in the the sweet smell of success.
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,833 posts | 701 
      Reply #83: Mar 30, 2022 03:14:45 pm
      Quote from dunlop liddell shankly
      Now we're sixteen games away from winning our first ever quadruple - including the League Cup! And who knows we might put the icing on the cake with a special treble within the quadruple of beating Chelsea in three finals in one season.

So we've already had success this season, let's go and build on it with even more success.

The more you talk about quadruples, the bigger the disappointment will be if, or more likely when, it doesn't happen. Having to beat City and Chelsea in winner takes all  games is going to be a massive ask just to win the cup, let alone the rest.

We have at least 2 games against City coming up, and I cant see us winning both. In that case, which one would you rather sacrifice? If it's the cup, fine, then the quadruple is gone. So let's have some realism in the debate. I admire the optimism but I'm more interested in winning the next game atm. None of the staff want to talk about quadruples with so many games left to play, so we shouldn't either.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,452 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #84: Mar 30, 2022 03:17:05 pm
      Everything is up for grabs, just a great time to be a Fan.

enjoy it while it lasts.
      Isaac!
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,572 posts | 325 
      Reply #85: Mar 30, 2022 08:02:52 pm
      I'm torn between excitement about what we are still capable of achieving, and painful tension and worry that we have to win so many difficult matches. One feeling usually follows the other. Mostly, I can't wait to have it resolved which is ridiculous when it could be the best season of any club ever. So, the oscilation.
      andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,318 posts | 1611 
      Reply #86: Mar 30, 2022 08:09:12 pm
      The more you talk about quadruples, the bigger the disappointment will be if, or more likely when, it doesn't happen. Having to beat City and Chelsea in winner takes all  games is going to be a massive ask just to win the cup, let alone the rest.

We have at least 2 games against City coming up, and I cant see us winning both. In that case, which one would you rather sacrifice? If it's the cup, fine, then the quadruple is gone. So let's have some realism in the debate. I admire the optimism but I'm more interested in winning the next game atm. None of the staff want to talk about quadruples with so many games left to play, so we shouldn't either.
      Of course we should talk about it , it’s what being a fan is all about the fckin dream of Winning, only this time the dream is bigger , it’s there to be shot at and we will give it our best shot .
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #87: Mar 30, 2022 08:29:43 pm
      I'm torn between excitement about what we are still capable of achieving, and painful tension and worry that we have to win so many difficult matches. One feeling usually follows the other. Mostly, I can't wait to have it resolved which is ridiculous when it could be the best season of any club ever. So, the oscilation.

how many football team are there in this country including non-league who hav e fans turn up week in week out and never win a thing its just the prospect of one day being there when the magic happens. It makes you realise just how fortunate we are when you look across Stanley Park at the absolute mire that club is.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,342 posts | 3368 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #88: Mar 30, 2022 08:32:03 pm
      Trying not to think too far ahead at the moment. Just thinking about Watford.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,955 posts | 3334 
      Reply #89: Mar 31, 2022 09:40:04 pm
      None of the staff want to talk about quadruples with so many games left to play, so we shouldn't either.

I could easily make points on almost everything you've said, and to be fair I might do but this one in particular is F***ing bollocks. I expect Jürgen to deflect every mention of the quadruple off. I expect Hendo to come out after every game and say "I know it's a boring answer but we're only interested in the next game". And I expect some sections of our fanbase to not say we're gonna win all four because if we don't they can they were right and those like me who say we're gonna win the F***ing lot every single year will once again be wrong.

But I don't give a toss about being right or wrong. My ego isn't hurt if what I say doesn't turn out to be correct. All I care about is having my club in a position to make me and billions of others around the world even contemplating the quadruple. It's a possibility and while this club is in a position of possibility, I for one am going to say it's a certainty.

And if you need any further convincing, go back and listen to those thousands at Anfield who were singing "and now you're gonna believe us" in the months leading up to the original lockdown. Should they not have been singing about winning the League because Jürgen and the boys refused to? We've been singing "we'll win it six times" long before we finally did in Madrid.

We're fans, we're allowed to get ahead of ourselves and talk about how F***ing great this season is gonna be because we're gonna win the quadruple. If you don't want to, then that's fair enough. You don't have to. But don't tell those that do, that they shouldn't because I'm gonna throw it in every cu*ts face that we're the only club who can win the quadruple. And if it goes tits up, then so be it, it goes tits up. We start again in August dreaming of another quadruple. If all goes to plan then in less than two months, we'll be lifting the European Cup to complete the quadruple.

For the first time in months we're in a position where we can be top of the table after every one of our games. Avoid defeat against Watford and we're top of the League. And it's one more chalked off on our road to the quadruple before we go into another game that we don't necessarily have to win. Then it's City in the League and who knows what the point totals will be by then.

City 73/71/70
      Liverpool 72/70/69
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,833 posts | 701 
      Reply #90: Mar 31, 2022 10:42:31 pm
      Most fans didn't sing about winning the league until it was blindingly obvious it was going to happen, which was the sensible thing to do.

At this point of the season, you're talking about winning quadruples when unlike then, there's absolutely no margin for error. Go out of the cup in the last minute, and we're ridiculed for considering it. Drop a couple of points in the league and watch the post match thread here for the inquest, and the boring saved Wijnaldum drafts to be posted up again. Just one negative result in the next 15 is all it will take.

Of course it could happen, but it's unrealistic atm. It's never been done, it's not a plan, and quadruple talk should really be put on hold until the very end of the season. If it's still on by then.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,955 posts | 3334 
      Reply #91: Apr 01, 2022 01:32:51 am
      Most fans didn't sing about winning the league until it was blindingly obvious it was going to happen, which was the sensible thing to do.

Behave. It was roared around Anfield well in advance. Like it is every time we're top of the table - whether we end up winning it or not.

At this point of the season, you're talking about winning quadruples when unlike then, there's absolutely no margin for error.

There's plenty - see Inter Milan as an example. We lost and still went through, so in essence we've got potentially two games that we don't even need to turn up for because the job will already be done by the second leg.

And even the League, we can drop two points against Watford and still go top with a win at Maine Rd.

And then there's the two games in the FA Cup and the final of the European Cup where we don't have to win it in normal or extra time. A penalty shootout will do - and I think I'm right in saying that our last four successful Cup finals (League Cup 22, League Cup 12, FA Cup 06, European Cup 05) were all won in that manner. So that gives us a bit more leeway in the actual game.

Go out of the cup in the last minute, and we're ridiculed for considering it.

So F***ing what? Puff your chest out and say at least we were in with a chance, which is more than can be said for any other c**t. And even if we are ridiculed, what's F***ing new? People love to throw the boot in on us. They ridicule Gerrard for his slip - so F***ing what. They ridicule us over winning one League Title in 30 years - so F***ing what? They ridicule us over living in the past because they haven't got one - so F***ing what?

Let them laugh.

We're still the biggest club in the world and we're still the most successful club in England. So if we don't win the quadruple let them F***ing laugh. We're meant to be famed for our humour - both giving and taking. If you're so sensitive that you're worried others might laugh at us then you need your F***ing head checked lad.

Drop a couple of points in the league and watch the post match thread here for the inquest, and the boring saved Wijnaldum drafts to be posted up again.

As I've already said, we can drop a couple of points to Watford and the League is still in our hands. And if we don't use that lifeline against Watford and then beat City then by the time they play a Premier League game again, we could be eight points clear of the F***ing small time club.

Just one negative result in the next 15 is all it will take.

As stated, one negative result will not necessarily derail anything. You seem to like following Jürgen's advice when it comes to the quadruple so take another bit of what he said on board - "we don't like losing games but if we must lose, we at least lose the right ones" (or words to that effect).

Beat Benfica 5-0 at their place, lose 4-0 at Anfield. Quadruple is still on.
      Beat Bayern 5-0 at Anfield, lose 4-0 at their place. Quadruple is still on.
      Draw to Watford. Quadruple is still on.

There's only five games we have to win are City in the FA Cup semi-final and whoever we play in the final of both the FA Cup and European Cup. Whether that be in normal time, extra time or penalties. As well as beating Benfica and Bayern at some point to progress, though again we don't need to beat either in normal or extra time, penalties can save us there as well.

We can draw with Watford and go top of the League. Both us and City after that pick up only point each for the remainder of the season, the game at Maine Rd on April 10th then we win the League on goal difference.

Then it's worth talking about. It's worth dreaming about. And it's sure as F**k worth believing in.

A question I've asked before but so F***ing what?

Do you know what this club has done when it's been unrealistic?

It was unrealistic for us to come back from three down at halftime in Istanbul and beat one of the greatest teams on the planet to win the European Cup - but you know what? We F***ing did it.

It was unrealistic for us to become even better after Shanks left in 74 but you know what? We F***ing did it.

It was unrealistic for us to win the treble in Joe Fagan's first year but you know what? We F***ing did it

It was unrealistic for us to win the League Cup, FA Cup, UEFA Cup and finish in the Champions League places in 2000-01 but you know what? We F***ing did it.

It was unrealistic that a player/manager could win the League and FA Cup double because it'd never been done before and it hasn't been done since but we F***ing did it with Kenny in 86.

It was unrealistic for us to win the League Title in both years following horrific tragedies that this club has faced in 85 in 89 but come May 86 and May 1990, there we F***ing where lifting the League Title aloft.

F**k your realism. Because this club doesn't believe in letting what's unrealistic get in our way.

As I've just said winning the League and Cup double with a player/manager had never been done before we did it in 86. No club from England had retained the European Cup till we did it 78. No club in England had won three European Cups till we did in 81, four until we had in 84, five till we did it in 05 and six until we did in 2019. No club had won four League Cups in a row till we did 81-84. No club other than us has won two trebles.

There's always a first for everything and it's usually done by Liverpool Football Club.

quadruple talk should really be put on hold until the very end of the season. If it's still on by then.

Well it isn't.

It's being talked about right now and rightly so. And if it goes tits up then so F***ing be it. We talk about it again in August when all the dreaming begins again.

Only next season because we'll of done the quadruple this year will include defending our League Title, our League Cup, our FA Cup and our European Cup, it'll also include bringing back the Charity Shield to Anfield, winning yet another Super Cup and the World Club thing can make another appearance at Anfield. So it'll be the whatever the sevenruple word is this time next year.

And who knows, we might even throw the Ferry into the boat race and win that next year as well.

Quick Reply