Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

22 for 22

Read 1346 times
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      22 for 22
      Jan 19, 2022 02:54:55 pm
      A new list for a new year

The 22 most under rated/appreciated players of all time.

Im not over detailing the reasons and have kept it to players I saw in person or know well from recorded history.

Ive ranked in order of underappreciatedness not how good they were or how much they won etc

22: Carragher. Makes the list because I dont think its appreciated that he was a midfielder moved to play as a left full right full then mastering the centre defender role

21:  Craig Johnson

20: Didi Hamann.

19: Lucas Leiva

18: Daniel Sturridge. Unlucky he was at his best same time as Suarez and Cou

17: Henchoz. Sami gets all the praise, but his mate done his share

16: Terry Mac. Seriously, what a baller does not get spoken about enough

15: Alvaro Arbeloa. Solid and reliable

14: Yossi....what a clever little player, Israeli Beardsley

13: Danny Murphy. Sh*te pundit, clever little player

12: Dirk Kuyt....workhorse attitude etc...he could play and he could score

11: Ray Kennedy. No words needed

10: Patrick Berger. Loved this lad. Wand of a left foot

9: Jan Molby. Vision, like no other. People always say he was too slow, balls, he was 30 seconds ahead of everyone else on the pitch

8: Gary Gillespie. Hansen Lawerenson get all the plaudits, and rightly so, but this lad stood up and done a sound job

7: Gary Ablett. When Alan Hansen says Gary Ablett was as good as any partner he had and that it was one of our biggest mistakes selling him you know how good he was

6: Ronny Rosenthal. 1990

5: Fabio Aurellio...Those injuries robbed us of a magical little player too often

4: Maxi. The poor man just came at the wrong time. Couple of years earlier or later, imagine him then.

3: Steve Finnan. Great defender, great going forward, great crosser, great player

2: Rob Jones. Simply best right full ever for me!

1: Ronnie Whelan. No not an Irish thing. Look at the service given, look at the awards won, look at the performance level, look at his goals. Now look at any all time great teams lists, youll not find Ronnies name on them. And thats why hes my most underrated Liverpool player ever
      TameImpala
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,269 posts | 1216 
      • He's five foot seven, he's football heaven
      Re: 22 for 22
      Reply #1: Jan 19, 2022 06:17:55 pm
      Couldn't name a full 22 but there's a few which spring to mind;

Heskey is right up there for me. A fair few seem to have finally cottoned on to how important a player he was for us and he's finally gotten a bit of belated credit, but at the time he was playing for us he used to get some horrific stick, especially from some of our own in the ground.

Biscan would be another. Played a massive part in that 2005 run. Think he featured in the majority of the big knockout games, with his standout performance being in the Delle Alpi, holding his own in a Gerrard-less midfield against the likes of Pavel Nedved & Camoranesi.

Would throw Bellamy in too. Was similar to Mane in his aggressive attacking style and how he'd regularly throw it all on the line for the team. Liked him in his first spell but his second was even better for me. The Nou Camp in 2007 is probably most people's standout Bellamy memory but my personal favourite was his performance in the 2012 Carling Cup semi 2nd leg against the eventual league winners, Manchester City. Dragged us to Wembley with that performance and left absolutely nothing on the pitch. Pretty sure he scored the deciding goal too if I remember rightly. Underrated player in an underrated night at Anfield.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      Reply #2: Jan 19, 2022 06:32:53 pm
      Couldn't name a full 22 but there's a few which spring to mind;

Heskey is right up there for me. A fair few seem to have finally cottoned on to how important a player he was for us and he's finally gotten a bit of belated credit, but at the time he was playing for us he used to get some horrific stick, especially from some of our own in the ground.

Biscan would be another. Played a massive part in that 2005 run. Think he featured in the majority of the big knockout games, with his standout performance being in the Delle Alpi, holding his own in a Gerrard-less midfield against the likes of Pavel Nedved & Camoranesi.

Would throw Bellamy in too. Was similar to Mane in his aggressive attacking style and how he'd regularly throw it all on the line for the team. Liked him in his first spell but his second was even better for me. The Nou Camp in 2007 is probably most people's standout Bellamy memory but my personal favourite was his performance in the 2012 Carling Cup semi 2nd leg against the eventual league winners, Manchester City. Dragged us to Wembley with that performance and left absolutely nothing on the pitch. Pretty sure he scored the deciding goal too if I remember rightly. Underrated player in an underrated night at Anfield.

I made a lust last year (21 for 21) it was a list of my 21 best players of the 21st century. Heskey was in that list. He was a big big player for us
      TameImpala
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,269 posts | 1216 
      • He's five foot seven, he's football heaven
      Reply #3: Jan 19, 2022 06:47:42 pm
      I made a lust last year (21 for 21) it was a list of my 21 best players of the 21st century. Heskey was in that list. He was a big big player for us

He was superb for us. To be honest "underrated" probably isn't an accurate word to describe him during a large part of his Liverpool career, as that tag is usually for players who fall under the radar, he was very much on the radar but was actively disliked and regularly criticized by many
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,948 posts | 8458 
      Reply #4: Jan 19, 2022 07:21:17 pm

Mildy exaggeration there. Against Juve, the stand out midfielder was Alonso after coming back from his broken leg he got in the New Years day game against Chelsea.

Biscan's stand out game was against La Coruna in the group stages.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,948 posts | 8458 
      Reply #5: Jan 19, 2022 07:23:21 pm
      If we're talking underated players can I mention Kevin Mcdonald who played a massive part in Kenny's team that won the double in 86.
      PTU
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,079 posts | 630 
      Reply #6: Jan 19, 2022 07:54:15 pm
      A new list for a new year

The 22 most under rated/appreciated players of all time.

Im not over detailing the reasons and have kept it to players I saw in person or know well from recorded history.

Ive ranked in order of underappreciatedness not how good they were or how much they won etc

22: Carragher. Makes the list because I dont think its appreciated that he was a midfielder moved to play as a left full right full then mastering the centre defender role

21:  Craig Johnson

20: Didi Hamann.

19: Lucas Leiva

18: Daniel Sturridge. Unlucky he was at his best same time as Suarez and Cou

17: Henchoz. Sami gets all the praise, but his mate done his share

16: Terry Mac. Seriously, what a baller does not get spoken about enough

15: Alvaro Arbeloa. Solid and reliable

14: Yossi....what a clever little player, Israeli Beardsley

13: Danny Murphy. Sh*te pundit, clever little player

12: Dirk Kuyt....workhorse attitude etc...he could play and he could score

11: Ray Kennedy. No words needed

10: Patrick Berger. Loved this lad. Wand of a left foot

9: Jan Molby. Vision, like no other. People always say he was too slow, balls, he was 30 seconds ahead of everyone else on the pitch

8: Gary Gillespie. Hansen Lawerenson get all the plaudits, and rightly so, but this lad stood up and done a sound job

7: Gary Ablett. When Alan Hansen says Gary Ablett was as good as any partner he had and that it was one of our biggest mistakes selling him you know how good he was

6: Ronny Rosenthal. 1990

5: Fabio Aurellio...Those injuries robbed us of a magical little player too often

4: Maxi. The poor man just came at the wrong time. Couple of years earlier or later, imagine him then.

3: Steve Finnan. Great defender, great going forward, great crosser, great player

2: Rob Jones. Simply best right full ever for me!

1: Ronnie Whelan. No not an Irish thing. Look at the service given, look at the awards won, look at the performance level, look at his goals. Now look at any all time great teams lists, youll not find Ronnies name on them. And thats why hes my most underrated Liverpool player ever

Couldn't name 22, so I'll add to your brilliant list.

- Hendo: still underrated in my opinion. Probably more by opposition fans though.
      - Riise and G. Johnson: same story for the 2, were a bit sh*te in their last year (or 2) with us, so we tend to forget how good they were at first.
      - Sterling: underrated by many because of the way he left, but he was brilliant for us.
      - Šmicer: mostly remembered for his goal in the 2005 CL final, but he was a really good player. As you said for Fábio Aurélio, injuries robbed us of a magical little player too often.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      Reply #7: Jan 19, 2022 07:55:28 pm
      If we're talking underated players can I mention Kevin Mcdonald who played a massive part in Kenny's team that won the double in 86.

Anyone at all pal once you think they dont get appreciated enough for what they brought.

He was a fine player, good shout
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,821 posts | 4920 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #8: Jan 19, 2022 09:26:22 pm
      In no particular order except I’ve went from earliest memories of watching on tv to obviously live at the games, that would have been about ‘84’ around the time Skippy was strutting his stuff…. Anyways here’s my 22p worth….

Joey Jones…mess with him at your peril, took no prisoners
      Sammy Lee….the pocket rocket, learnt from Suey, quick footed, quick brain ran all day.
      Terry Mac….no explanation required, simply awesome!
      Jimmy Case.. ditto to Terry Mac, would  run through a brick wall, special!
      David Johnson…never hankered the limelight, but scored some beauties,
      Craig Johnston…aka Skippy..one of Bob’s nuggets, token professional
      John Wark….another of those unassuming heroes, did exactly  what it says on the tin
      Gary Ablett…solid reliable and very very good defender, had Jocky as his mentor, RIP Gary
      Ray Houghton, …got this fella from Oxford same time as Aldo, another solid reliable, good engine
      Rob Jones….never reached the level he should have tbh, but still rock steady and clever with it
      Mark Wright…. Mr reliable at a time when we were probably in our worst era
      Paddy Berger…. His energy levels were thru the roof, those runs from midfield were epic
      Titi Camera…. Only with us a short time but wow, what a player, great vision
      Stephane Henchoz….formed a proper solid CB pairing with Sami, some would say one of the best, solid
      Momo Sissoko…….another solid reliable midfielder, world class status , shame about that eye injury though !
      Fabio Aurelio……at the end of his career with us but oozed class, when fit, his fk’s are legendary,class player
      Steve Finnan….solid reliable dependable, sacrificed for Didi in 2005 CL final, brilliant defender
      Dirk Kuyt…. What can you say about this fella, never ever gave up, the original Duracell Bunny, class
      Maxi Rodriguez….not sure but I think Kenny tried sign him before we got him, but yes, class player
      Martin Skrtle….. not everyone’s cup of tea, but like a fine wine got better with age, solid and fookin hard !
      Daniel Agger…..got Scouse blood in his Danish veins has Aggers, again a solid reliable defender, more class
      Lucas Leiva…..did not have the best of starts, but he worked his Brazilian nuts off to win us round and ended up giving ten years of his life, battled thru some serious injuries to boot, and even wore the armband
      On occasion, superb player lots of class, clever, still playing for Lazio.

Lots more of course but 22 is more than enough for me !

Y  N  W  A

Quick Reply